Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Broken Hearts, Empty Wallets:
Seniors Catfished for $139M
Oct 22, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Broken Hearts, Empty Wallets: Seniors Catfished for $139M
FTC report says there was a 'surge' in 2020 in romance scams bamboozling Americans 60 and over
- Last month, the Department of Justice announced money laundering and wire fraud charges brought against nearly a dozen "romance scammers," and that's only scratching the surface of what the
calls a "surge" in such deceptions made worse by the pandemic, especially for the senior...
Chatting With Men Seeking
Ukrainian Wives Wasn't So Great
Aug 1, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Chatting With Men Seeking Ukrainian Wives Wasn't So Great
Veronika Melkozerova recounts job with matchmaking agency
- It's perhaps not the most typical job for a university student: pretending to be the female Ukrainian clients of a matchmaking agency. As Veronika Melkozerova explains for Vice , the then-21-year-old Ukrainian student took the job in 2012 and was given anemic details about two women looking for "Western...
Bumble's 'Resilient' Workers
All Get This Week Off, Paid
Jun 22, 2021 8:52 AM CDT
Bumble's 'Resilient' Workers All Get This Week Off, Paid
As 'a way to thank our team'
- Facilitating love matches is no walk in the park, especially during a pandemic, hence Bumble's worldwide staff is getting a paid "fully offline" vacation this week. The dating app, which requires women to make the first move, has closed all of its offices so its 700 employees can...
Cops Bust Dating Scam
in 'Operation Casanova'
Dec 18, 2020 4:05 PM CST
Cops Bust Dating Scam in 'Operation Casanova'
More than 2 dozen are under arrest in Italy, accused of scamming women online
- Their jobs as pilots, sea captains, military or Interpol officials kept them on the go, unable to meet the women they were wooing online in person. That would happen, they told their victims, but first, they needed money for an emergency, such as a child's illness. Police in Italy...
Police: Fake Dating Profile
Invited Men for Sex, Meth
Nov 27, 2020 1:28 PM CST
Police: Fake Dating Profile Invited Men for Sex, Meth
Suspect and victim have never met but have dated the same man
- The threatening texts and phone calls began in October. The 36-year-old Key West woman blocked the calls, only to have them start up again from other numbers. "You think texts are bad, next is your house and your job," Florida police said Vanessa Marie Huckaba told her at...
Match CEO: 'First Date'
May Be Forever Changed
Sep 15, 2020 10:35 AM CDT
Match CEO: 'First Date' May Be Forever Changed
People are willing to date virtually only, and that could stick
- More and more relationships will be formed online and on dating apps, according to Shar Dubey, the CEO of Match Group, which owns Match.com, Tinder, OkCupid and Hinge. Speaking to Axios , Dubey says she expects "long-lasting, consequential changes" to the dating scene, even after the pandemic is over....
Study: Women Prefer
Men Without Cats
Jun 22, 2020 3:19 PM CDT
Study: Women Prefer Men Without Cats
'Cat men' seen as 'less masculine,' researchers say
- Single men who are hoping to land a girlfriend may want to keep images of their cats out of their dating profile, or so suggests a new study . Colorado State University researchers showed photos of two men—posed with and without a cat—to hundreds of women and found that...
Dec 30, 2019 6:18 AM CST
Sharon Stone Joins Bumble, Gets Blocked
Dating app thought actress' profile was a fake
- If Sharon Stone can't find love on Bumble, what hope is there for the rest of us? The 61-year-old
actress recently discovered that the first hurdle to clear on the dating app is to not get blocked in the first place, Mashable reports. "They closed my...
Hidden Danger of Dating
Apps: Sex Offenders
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 8, 2019 6:43 AM CST
Hidden Danger of Dating Apps: Sex Offenders
Investigation reveals how easy it is for predators to meet their victims on popular sites
- Women looking to meet a partner on a dating site would be well advised to read a new investigative piece with a disturbing takeaway: It's surprisingly easy for sex offenders—even those on criminal registries—to set up profiles and meet new victims. Anyone who relies on these sites...
Sep 27, 2019 10:44 AM CDT
FTC Accuses Match.com of Fraud
But site calls the claims 'outrageous'
- Catch someone's eye on Match.com? That someone was often a scammer, and the company knew it—at least according to an FTC lawsuit filed Wednesday, TechCruch reports. The FTC claims Match.com lured possible subscribers with emails saying another user was interested,
flagging that user as a...
Has Arrived in US
Sep 5, 2019 1:14 PM CDT
Facebook Dating Has Arrived in US
Free service launches in the US, users can opt in on mobile app
- Rather than sliding into someone's DMs , there is now an official way to procure a significant other via Facebook. Yes, Facebook Dating is available in the US as of Thursday, almost a year after the company started testing it in Colombia. The US is the 20th country to get...
This Guy Cost
a Woman $80K
May 22, 2019 6:00 PM CDT
Police: Dating This Guy Cost a Woman $80K
But police have arrested the suspect, John Martin Hill
- Have a bad online dating experience? At least you didn't go out with John Martin Hill. The alleged scammer was caught Tuesday after police say he met a woman on Match.com and swindled her out of $80,000, NBC News reports. Hill, 35, apparently convinced the woman from...
Zimmerman Gets the Boot
Apr 20, 2019 1:55 PM CDT
Zimmerman Gets the Boot
Trayvon Martin's killer was apparently using a fake name on the dating website
- Bad news for anyone with a thing for George Zimmerman: Two dating apps have given him the boot, CNN reports. Tinder recently removed the killer of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin from its platform, just as Bumble did in December. Screen grabs from Creating Loafing Tampa Bay show Zimmerman going by "...
Woman Accused of Sending
Man 159K Texts: I'm in Jail?
Apr 20, 2019 12:45 PM CDT
Woman Accused of Sending Man 159K Texts: I'm in Jail?
Jacqueline Ades dismisses the texts as 'weird things'
- An Arizona woman who allegedly broke into a man's home and hounded him with over 159,000 texts doesn't get why she's stuck in jail,
reports. "I just think it's ridiculous," says Jacqueline Ades. "I can't believe that it...
Feb 14, 2019 7:08 PM CST
Dating App Reveals Breach on Worst Possible Day
Happy Valentine's Day, compromised users of Bagel Meets Coffee
- Those looking for love on the dating app Coffee Meets Bagel received an email from the company on Thursday. Given that it just happened to be Valentine's Day, users might have expected to open it up and read a word encouragement. Not so much. The email revealed a data...
Love Seekers Lost $143M
to Scammers in 2018: FTC
Feb 13, 2019 9:15 AM CST
Love Seekers Lost $143M to Scammers in 2018: FTC
That's more than any other type of consumer fraud found by the agency last year
- If you wanted the Federal Trade Commission's take on Valentine's Day, here it is: Beware of getting scammed seeking love online. The warning comes via the agency's latest revelation, which cites more than 21,000 reports of people getting swindled by internet "paramours" in 2018, NPR...
'Bummer' for Poacher Who Met
Game Warden on Dating App
in case you missed it
Jan 12, 2019 7:00 AM CST
'Bummer' for Poacher Who Met Game Warden on Dating App
Woman, accomplice fined in Oklahoma
- Her first error came in shooting a deer out of season, at night, with a spotlight, and leaving all but the head and backstrap meat to rot. Her second error came in boasting about the poaching crime in conversation with a potential beau on a dating app, who turned out...
'Nightmare Date' Hounded
Man Beyond Belief: Cops
Jan 5, 2019 10:00 AM CST
'Nightmare Date' Hounded Man Beyond Belief: Cops
Police release body-cam footage of Jacqueline Ades
- Think 65,000 unwanted text messages constitute stalking? Try 159,000, with threats to boot—at least according to police documents. Jacqueline Ades has already been charged with stalking and criminal trespassing for allegedly hounding a man she dated once after meeting him on a dating website for millionaires called...
'Dine and Dash' Dater
Learns His Fate
Nov 22, 2018 2:47 AM CST
'Dine and Dash' Dater Learns His Fate
Paul Gonzales will spend 120 days in jail
- Serial "dine and dash" dater Paul Gonzales is going to continue getting free meals—but he's not going to be able to run away afterward. The 45-year-old Los Angeles County man was sentenced to 120 days in prison Tuesday after pleading no contest to three misdemeanor counts of...
Men Lured to Mass Tinder Date
by New York City Woman
Aug 20, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
Men Lured to Mass Tinder Date by New York City Woman
She got dozens of men to show up to her self-styled 'Singled Out'
- A New York City woman is receiving both rants and raves for her decidedly bold decision to lure dozens of men to what can only be described as her own self-styled dating game. Per CBS News , the woman, identified in reports as Natasha Aponte, used the dating app Tinder to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Alec Baldwin Sued by Family of Fallen Marine
FBI Searches Congressman's Home
After Subway Push, Driver Stops With Inches to Spare
Report Incriminates Ex-Pope on Sex Abuse Cases
Tongans Celebrate 'Real Life Aquaman' Who Survived Tsunami
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.