Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Overturned Truck With Toxic
Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
Sep 30, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
Area around Illinois accident evacuated due to plume from ammonia leak near Teutopolis
- A semitruck carrying anhydrous ammonia overturned in Illinois, causing "multiple fatalities" and prompting an evacuation of area residents, police said Saturday. The accident, which involved "multiple" vehicles, happened about a half-mile east of Teutopolis on US Highway 40 on Friday at about 9:25pm local time, Illinois State...
Yellow Trucking Won't Make It
Aug 7, 2023 5:41 AM CDT
'Profound Disappointment:' Yellow Trucking Won't Make It
Longstanding firm files bankruptcy, will liquidate
- There will be no miracle recovery for the venerable Yellow trucking company. The 99-year-old firm filed for bankruptcy late Sunday, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. "It is with profound disappointment that Yellow announces that it is closing after nearly 100 years in business," said Chief Executive Darren Hawkins....
It's a Site Known
This One Just
Jul 1, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
It's a Site Known for Crashes. This One Just Killed Dozens
At least 51 die after truck hits market traders, other vehicles in Londiani, Kenya
- A truck rammed into several other vehicles and market traders in western Kenya, killing dozens, police said. The Friday evening accident occurred at a location known for vehicle crashes near the Rift Valley town of Londiani, which is about 125 miles northwest of the capital, Nairobi. Officers at the scene...
Finally, a Very Cool
Amenity for UPS Drivers
Jun 15, 2023 7:57 AM CDT
Finally, a Very Cool Amenity for UPS Drivers
Company strikes tentative deal with Teamsters union to install air conditioning in delivery trucks
- "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" may be the creed of US postal workers, but UPS drivers, also charged with making deliveries to Americans nationwide, just scored a victory in taking the "heat"...
Woman's Kia Gets Stuck
Under Semi-Truck for 8 Miles
Jan 25, 2023 12:28 PM CST
Woman's Kia Gets Stuck Under Semi-Truck for 8 Miles
The wild scene happened Wednesday morning in Kansas
- Remember the scene in
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
where the family's station wagon gets stuck under a tractor-trailer ? Something like that happened for real in Kansas on Wednesday morning, except it reportedly lasted a whole lot longer. Police say that around 3:40am, a flurry of 911...
6 Dead After Truck Hits
Aug 28, 2022 6:45 AM CDT
6 Dead After Truck Hits Community Barbecue
7 were injured in Netherlands accident
- The death toll from an accident when a truck drove off a dike and slammed into a community barbecue in a village south of Rotterdam rose to six Sunday and police said a further seven people are in hospital, including one in critical condition. Police spokeswoman Mirjam Boers said the...
What We Know About
the Migrant Truck Deaths
Jun 28, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
What We Know About the Migrant Truck Deaths
With number of fatalities at 50, it's the worst such smuggling tragedy in reported US history
- The discovery of dozens of dead migrants in a truck in San Antonio, Texas, on Monday is the deadliest such incident in US history, reports the
. As of Tuesday morning, the death toll was at 50, per the AP , but others remained hospitalized. Three suspects are in custody,...
What Reviewers Think
of Ford's Electric Truck
May 12, 2022 11:31 AM CDT
What Reviewers Think of Ford's Electric Truck
In short, they are very impressed with the Lightning
- Automotive journalists got to take the new Ford F-150 electric pickup for a spin, and the reviews are downright glowing. Gas-powered F-series trucks have long been the best-selling vehicles in America, and the electric Lightning may continue the trend if the reviews are any indication. The truck, now in production,...
EPA Rule for Trucks Would Cut
Some Emissions by 90%
Mar 7, 2022 7:20 PM CST
EPA Rule for Trucks Would Cut Some Emissions by 90%
Environmental groups urge moving quickly toward 100%
- The Biden administration is proposing stronger pollution regulations for new tractor-trailer rigs that would clean up smoky diesel engines and encourage new technologies over the next two decades. The proposal released Monday by the Environmental Protection Agency would require the industry to cut smog- and soot-forming nitrogen oxide emissions by...
Shocking Video Shows
Mail Truck Plunge Off Bridge
Feb 28, 2022 1:50 PM CST
Shocking Video Shows Mail Truck Plunge Off Bridge
Massachusetts driver was uninjured
- The driver of a mail truck in Massachusetts survived a plunge off a bridge uninjured—an outcome that may have seemed unlikely to anybody who witnessed the incident. Shocking video shared by the State Police Association of Massachusetts shows the Saturday crash in Weston, around 15 miles from Boston. Police...
A Truck Just Drove 80 Miles
With No Human on Board
Dec 29, 2021 10:45 AM CST
A Truck Just Drove 80 Miles With No Human on Board
Autonomous trucker TuSimple logs first no-human road test in Arizona
- A semitruck completed an 80-mile route in Arizona with no human on board and no human intervention during the trip using technology developed by TuSimple, the company said Wednesday. The San Diego company says it's the first successful fully-autonomous run by a Class 8 vehicle, or semi, on open...
At Least 40 Killed,
Dozens Injured in
Gas Truck Explosion
Dec 14, 2021 7:45 AM CST
At Least 40 Killed, Dozens Injured in Gas Truck Explosion
The explosion took place late Monday in the Haitian city of Cap-Haitien
- A truck carrying gasoline exploded in northern Haiti, killing more than 40 people and injuring dozens of others, officials and news reports said Tuesday. The blast occurred late Monday in the city of Cap-Haitien, Prime Minister Ariel Henry said, adding that he was devastated. Henry said his administration was deploying...
Driverless Truck Crashes
Into Home, Kills Woman
Oct 27, 2021 4:47 PM CDT
Driverless Truck Crashes Into Home, Kills Woman
Police say theft suspect jumped out of vehicle during chase
- A Texas woman was killed early Tuesday when a stolen, driverless big rig slammed into her home. Police in Harris County say they tried to pull over the stolen tractor-trailer after locating it via GPS around 12:30am, but the driver refused to stop. After a brief chase, he jumped...
Truck Full of
Crashes Into Lake
Jul 15, 2021 1:17 PM CDT
Truck Full of Ramen Noodles Crashes Into Lake
Lake 'appears uncontaminated,' authorities say
- The Guinness Book of World Records says the biggest bowl of noodles was made in Vietnam in 2018. A lake in Arkansas, however, could be a new contender. Authorities say a tractor-trailer hauling 20,000 pounds of ramen noodles crashed into Lake Conway on Tuesday afternoon, KARK reports. The driver...
Migrants' 911 Calls Spur Search
for Truck: 'We Are Dying'
Feb 11, 2021 9:06 AM CST
Migrants' 911 Calls Spur Search for Truck: 'We Are Dying'
Local authorities in San Antonio, DHS desperately seeking white tanker that may have 80 trapped
- Authorities from the San Antonio Police Department, Bexar County Sheriff's Office, Texas Department of Public Safety, and even the Department of Homeland Security have embarked on a desperate search for a tanker truck that may be crammed with dozens of trapped migrants in a human smuggling operation. Sheriff Javier...
Postal Delivery Trucks
Are Bursting Into Flames
Jul 8, 2020 7:00 PM CDT
Postal Delivery Trucks Are Bursting Into Flames
A postal-carrier newsletter calls it 'a very dangerous situation'
- Postal workers have a bit of a problem: Their trucks are catching fire. And not just a few of them. At least 417 USPS mail trucks—the classic ones with right-side driving to enable quick delivery—have been damaged or scorched by fire since 2014, Vice reports. Engineers brought in...
Arrest in Murder Case
Comes After Odd Offer
in case you missed it
Mar 14, 2020 2:23 PM CDT
Arrest in Murder Case Comes After Odd Offer
Woman was trying to sell victims' pickup for $200, explaining why they didn't need it
- Police have made three arrests in the murder of a couple who were killed in their own bed near Haines City, Fla., and the break in the case came in a strange way—involving a $200 offer for the victims' truck. Coverage:
Between two and three weeks ago,
'Incalculable' Damage After
Truck Hits Easter Island Statue
Mar 7, 2020 6:30 AM CST
'Incalculable' Damage After Truck Hits Easter Island Statue
The unmanned vehicle was parked, but the brake apparently failed
- For the Rapa Nui, the iconic moai statues of Easter Island are "sacred structures," Camilo Rapu, the head of the indigenous community there, tells CNN . That's why what went down in the Chilean territory Sunday has the locals distressed and wondering how to better protect the famous...
Tesla Mocked by
Surprise Troll on
Nov 27, 2019 6:21 AM CST
Tesla Mocked by Surprise Troll on 'Unbreakable' Cybertruck
Lego's vehicle is 'guaranteed shatterproof'
- Elon Musk says the orders are pouring in for Tesla's new Cybertruck, despite the onstage demo fail that generated worldwide mockery. Now, a surprise troll is mocking the electric car company with its own debut. Mashable reports that early Tuesday, Danish toy company Lego put up a promo on...
Elon Musk Pays $770M for
Most Expensive Windows Ever
Nov 23, 2019 9:00 AM CST
Elon Musk Pays $770M for Most Expensive Windows Ever
That's how much Tesla CEO lost in one day after his Cybertruck's windows smashed during demo
- Elon Musk's disastrous demo of Tesla's newest electric vehicle wasn't just a PR debacle—it hit his wallet big time. When the company's head designer threw a metal ball at the Cybertruck's window Thursday to show how durable it was, the window smashed; a second...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.