Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Stories 1 - 20 |
Memoir Opens Up
Can of Worms
on RBG Interview
Oct 15, 2021 12:06 PM CDT
Katie Couric Memoir Opens Up Can of Worms on RBG Interview
Journalist admits she edited out controversial remark on athletes who kneel to 'protect' Ginsburg
- Katie Couric's memoir
is due out Oct. 26, though where she went within its pages has started a journalistic ethics firestorm. The controversy centers on a 2016 interview Couric had with Ruth Bader Ginsburg, in which the Supreme Court justice, who died in September 2020, made some...
Sep 28, 2021 2:47 PM CDT
ACLU Apologizes for Altering RBG Quote
Organization switched pronouns to 'they' and 'their'
- The American Civil Liberties Union is apologizing after erasing "she" and "her" pronouns from a statement by the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. On the anniversary of her death, the organization reinterpreted a quote Ginsburg gave on reproductive rights during her Senate confirmation hearings in 1993....
Oldest Supreme Court Justice
Under Pressure to Retire
in case you missed it
May 8, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
Oldest Supreme Court Justice Under Pressure to Retire
Some want Stephen Breyer, 82, to clear way for younger liberal
- President Biden could have a Supreme Court seat to fill come summer. There is "immense urgency" among progressive Democrats for liberal Justice Stephen Breyer, who was nominated to the court by President Clinton in 1994, to retire after the court wraps up its current term around the end of...
Thousands of Masked
Women Hit the Streets
Oct 17, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
Thousands of Masked Women Hit the Streets
'We are the hell and high water,' an activist says
- Thousands of mostly young women in masks rallied Saturday in the nation's capital and other US cities, exhorting voters to oppose President Trump and his fellow Republican candidates in the Nov. 3 elections, the AP reports. The latest of rallies that began with a massive women’s march the...
On Court Packing, Biden
Echoes RBG's Words
Oct 13, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
On Court Packing, Biden Echoes RBG's Words
Finally addressing the topic, he says he's 'not a fan'
- Joe Biden has finally responded to weeks of speculation that Democrats could expand the Supreme Court to more than nine justices if they win the Senate and White House come November, saying he is "not a fan" of the idea. "I've already spoken on—I'm not...
Is Back, With
a New Name
Oct 7, 2020 10:25 AM CDT
Retailer's RBG 'Dissent Collar' Is Back, With a New Name
Banana Republic has already sold out of 'Notorious Necklaces,' but it's working on getting more
- In 2012, Banana Republic bestowed a special gift upon Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg at the Women of the Year Awards gala hosted by
: a crystal necklace that she could wear with her black robe as one of her signature "statement" collars. "This is my dissenting...
New SCOTUS Term Starts
Quietly, but That Could Change
Oct 5, 2020 11:27 AM CDT
New SCOTUS Term Starts Quietly, but That Could Change
The term is so far short on high-profile cases, but perhaps not for long
- The Supreme Court began its new term Monday with a remembrance of "a dear friend and a treasured colleague," the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Chief Justice John Roberts paid tribute to Ginsburg as the court resumed its work via telephone because of the coronavirus pandemic. Roberts said...
RBG Buried at Arlington
Sep 29, 2020 3:20 PM CDT
RBG Buried at Arlington
In private ceremony, she was laid to rest next to husband
- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has been buried in a private ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery. Ginsburg was laid to rest Tuesday beside her husband and near some of her former colleagues on the court, the AP reports. Washington last week honored the 87-year-old Ginsburg, who died Sept. 18,...
After SCOTUS Nom, GOP
Sells 'Notorious ACB' Shirts
Sep 28, 2020 4:00 AM CDT
After SCOTUS Nom, GOP Sells 'Notorious ACB' Shirts
Republicans capitalize on RBG's nickname
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg hasn't yet been laid to rest , but the GOP is already capitalizing on her nickname. Within minutes of President Trump nominating Amy Coney Barrett to replace Ginsburg on the Supreme Court, the National Republican Senatorial Committee was already selling "Notorious ACB" shirts—a play on,...
'Will Defend Your
Sep 27, 2020 5:44 AM CDT
Trump: Barrett 'Will Defend Your God-Given Rights'
President holds rally in Pennsylvania on eve of SCOTUS announcement
- President Trump celebrated the nomination of his third Supreme Court justice on Saturday night with a raucous campaign rally in Harrisburg, Pa., that he launched by mentioning Judge Amy Coney Barrett beneath a screen that read "fill that seat." CBS News notes that's the latest chant to...
Has Settled On
a Name for
His 3rd Justice
Sep 26, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Sources: Trump Has Settled On a Name for His 3rd Justice
Amy Coney Barrett reportedly will be nominated to fill RBG's Supreme Court seat
- It appears that President Trump has his new Supreme Court nominee. The
, Politico , the
New York Times
, and Axios all report that sources are pointing to federal appeals court judge Amy Coney Barrett as Trump's pick to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a move that would significantly push...
A Fitting Tribute
to RBG: Pushups
Sep 25, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
A Fitting Tribute to RBG: Pushups
Trainer Bryant Johnson brings an apparent first to US Capitol
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg became the first woman and Jewish-American to lie in state at the US Capitol on Friday. Then came another apparent first—from the late justice's personal trainer . As he approached the coffin shortly after 10:30am, Bryant Johnson slowly dropped to the ground and did three...
RBG Is Still
Sep 25, 2020 6:26 AM CDT
RBG Is Still Making History
Late Supreme Court justice is first woman to lie in state at US Capitol
- Capping days of commemorations of her extraordinary life, Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Friday becomes the first woman in American history to lie in state in the US Capitol, per the AP . Ginsburg, who died last week at age 87, also will be the first Jewish-American to lie...
Trump Pays Respects to RBG,
and Critics Boo Loudly
Sep 24, 2020 10:14 AM CDT
Trump Pays Respects to RBG, and Critics Boo Loudly
Chants of 'vote him out!' could be heard
- President Trump and first lady Melania paid their respects at the casket of Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Thursday at the Supreme Court, and the president's critics made their feelings about him clear during the moment. Loud boos and chants of "vote him out!" and "honor her...
Justices Meet for First Time
in 6 Months—to Mourn
Sep 23, 2020 2:20 PM CDT
Justices Meet for First Time in 6 Months—to Mourn
Thousands of others will pay their respects to Ruth Bader Ginsburg in DC
- With crowds of admirers swelling outside, Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was remembered Wednesday at the court by grieving family, colleagues, and friends as a prophet for justice who persevered against long odds to become an American icon. The court’s eight justices, masked along with everyone else because...
Romney's Decision All but
Seals the Deal for Court Pick
Sep 22, 2020 9:22 AM CDT
Romney's Decision All but Seals the Deal for Court Pick
Republican supports moving forward on a nominee
- Democrats' chances of stopping the confirmation of a Supreme Court nominee before Election Day all but disappeared on Tuesday with an announcement from Mitt Romney. The Utah Republican says he supports moving forward with President Trump's soon-to-be-announced nominee, reports Axios . Romney was seen as a possible "no" vote...
Sep 22, 2020 8:59 AM CDT
Graham's Flip-Flop May Help Save His Seat
Rival calls him a hypocrite over court vote, but move could win over conservative SC voters
- It's looking more likely by the day that Mitch McConnell will have enough Republican votes to confirm a Supreme Court nominee before the election. And one of the senators falling in line, Lindsey Graham, remains unapologetic about changing his mind on holding such a vote. While his critics are...
Cory Gardner Reveals His Vote
on Trump's SCOTUS Pick
Sep 22, 2020 6:44 AM CDT
Cory Gardner Reveals His Vote on Trump's SCOTUS Pick
Senator will vote to confirm, he announces
- Sen. Cory Gardner of Colorado, one of the Republicans who had been seen as a possible flip in the party's push to get a new Supreme Court justice confirmed, won't flip. "When a president exercises constitutional authority to name a judge for the Supreme Court vacancy, the...
If GOP SCOTUS Plan Works,
Democrats Should Act in Kind
Sep 21, 2020 3:13 PM CDT
If GOP SCOTUS Plan Works, Democrats Should Act in Kind
Time for them to play 'constitutional hardball'
- The Supreme Court is now Ruthless—and Democrats should be the same way if Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell manages to "get a midnight Trump nominee to the Supreme Court confirmed" and Democrats take both the White House and Senate, writes Scott Lemiuex at NBC News . Lemiuex, a political...
Cory Gardner in Spotlight
Over Senate SCOTUS Vote
Sep 21, 2020 2:28 PM CDT
Cory Gardner in Spotlight Over Senate SCOTUS Vote
Colorado senator seen as a possible no vote on successor before Election Day
- Mitch McConnell already had two GOP senators say they don't think the Senate should vote on Ruth Bader Ginsburg's successor before Election Day. And Republicans have only a three-vote majority over Democrats, meaning McConnell wants no more defections. So who might flip? The
New York Times
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
She Died on African Hunting Trip. 5 Years Later, Husband Is Arrested
Killer Pardoned by Governor Sentenced Again in Same Crime
Experts Say Anne Frank Bombshell Is 'Full of Errors'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.