Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
2 US Cities
Jul 23, 2021 7:25 AM CDT
Superbug Fungus Spreading in 2 US Cities
CDC says drug-resistant 'Candida auris' is moving from person to person in Dallas and DC
- US health officials said Thursday they now have evidence of an untreatable fungus spreading in two hospitals and a nursing home, per the AP . The "superbug" outbreaks were reported in a Washington, DC, nursing home and at two Dallas-area hospitals, the CDC reported. A handful of the patients had...
At Oregon Church That Sued
Over COVID Limits, an Outbreak
May 7, 2021 9:06 AM CDT
At Oregon Church That Sued Over COVID Limits, an Outbreak
Peoples Church in Salem, Ore. to host 3 services on Sunday
- At least 74 COVID-19 cases are associated with a 3,700-member church in Salem, Ore., that is planning three in-person Mother's Day services on Sunday regardless. The Oregon Health Authority began investigating the outbreak at Peoples Church two days after Easter Sunday, when the church hosted three indoor services,...
At Everest Base Camp,
May 5, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
At Everest Base Camp, 'Coughing Everywhere'
Some think Nepal is hiding real numbers of coronavirus cases to keep mountain open
- This is the peak time of year to climb Mount Everest, before monsoon season hits. But the
notes 2021's climbing season may now be up in the air, as a COVID outbreak at the base camp in Nepal has led to "many" infections in a country already...
Listeria Outbreak Hits 3 States
Oct 24, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Listeria Outbreak Hits 3 States
Listeriosis can get worse if it moves to the nervous system
- A listeria outbreak has hit 10 people across 3 states—apparently all sickened after eating deli meat, per Consumer Reports . The Centers for Disease Control hasn't identified a supplier, retailer, or brand yet, but nine of the victims said they had eaten Italian-style meats like prosciutto or mortadella bought...
Outbreak Spares No Resident
at Kansas Nursing Home
Oct 21, 2020 6:30 AM CDT
Outbreak Spares No Resident at Kansas Nursing Home
10 have died; one person is in the hospital
- Coronavirus has infected every resident of a Kansas nursing home, with deadly results. Ten of the 62 residents of Andbe Home in Norton have died and one is in hospital, reports NBC News . The Norton County Health Department announced the outbreak at the privately owned facility on Monday, saying an...
Criminal Charges Filed
After Deaths of 76 at
Sep 25, 2020 1:37 PM CDT
Criminal Charges Filed After Deaths of 76 at Veterans' Facility
Mass. AG: Former officials Bennett Walsh, David Clinton made 'deadly decision' that caused deaths
- Two former officials at a Massachusetts veterans home have been hit with criminal charges after dozens died there during a COVID-19 outbreak. NBC Boston and CBS Boston report that Bennett Walsh, 50, the facility's former superintendent, and 71-year-old David Clinton, who served as the facility's medical director, are...
Fauci Has New Warning
for Colleges on COVID
Sep 3, 2020 6:17 AM CDT
Fauci Has New Warning for Colleges on COVID
Don't send students home if there's an outbreak
- As COVID-19 outbreaks crop up at college campuses across the country, some schools are reverting to online classes and, in some cases, even sending students back home. Dr. Anthony Fauci's strongly worded advice to schools on that latter move: Don't do it, per NBC News . "It's...
Profs 'Terrified' by Order to
Keep Quiet About Outbreak
Aug 30, 2020 4:40 PM CDT
Profs 'Terrified' by Order to Keep Quiet About Outbreak
The University of Alabama sent staffers an email
- The University of Alabama is telling professors to keep quiet about a coronavirus outbreak afflicting the student body, the
reports. "Do not tell the rest of the class," administration officials wrote in an email, underlining the word "not." An online COVID-19 dashboard reports 1,...
Outbreak Hits 23 States
Jul 25, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Mystery Salmonella Outbreak Hits 23 States
Health officials are struggling to find the source
- A salmonella outbreak of no known origin has struck nearly two dozen states and hospitalized 31 people,
reports. The CDC said on Friday that 212 cases have emerged in 23 states, with 8 new states listed since Tuesday. While bacterial outbreaks are often linked to a food source,...
Inmates Warned of Alarming
Conditions. Now, an Outbreak
Jul 22, 2020 6:34 AM CDT
Inmates Warned of Alarming Conditions. Now, an Outbreak
More than 500 test positive for COVID-19 at Texas federal medical prison
- More than 500 women at a federal medical prison in Texas have tested positive for the coronavirus, in one of the largest confirmed outbreaks at a federal prison, the Bureau of Prisons said. The number of confirmed cases at the Federal Medical Center-Carswell in Fort Worth jumped to 510 on...
In One California County, a
'Steep' Spike in Virus Cases
Jun 30, 2020 11:09 AM CDT
In One California County, a 'Steep' Spike in Virus Cases
And LA County isn't the only county in the Golden State to see alarming reversal in COVID-19 progress
- California was seen as an early success case in combating COVID-19, shutting down early and getting the numbers low enough so that Gov. Gavin Newsom felt comfortable in starting to reopen the state. Now, however, the coronavirus has come roaring back, and in LA County especially, the state's epicenter...
Parasite Is Hiding in Salad
Mixes Across 8 States
Jun 27, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Parasite Is Hiding in Salad Mixes Across 8 States
206 people have already tested positive
- Salad lovers, watch out: The FDA and the CDC are warning about an outbreak linked to certain salads sold at Jewel-Osco, Hy-Vee, and Walmart stores,
reports. Long story short, the stores are recalling garden-salad mixes made by a Fresh Express facility in Streamwood, Illinois, and other brands may...
Drop in Vaccinations
'Could Set Us Back Years'
May 19, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
Drop in Vaccinations 'Could Set Us Back Years'
CDC warns of possible measles outbreak
- The CDC is warning about possible outbreaks of diseases, including measles, as immunizations fall amid the coronavirus pandemic. The organization analyzed immunization data on children in Michigan up to the age of 2, finding a drop in vaccinations for all diseases except hepatitis B—a vaccine typically administered in hospitals...
Zoo Tiger Tests Positive
Apr 5, 2020 5:10 PM CDT
Zoo Tiger Tests Positive
Nadia, a 4-year-old Malayan, showed symptoms in March
- A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for the new coronavirus, in what is believed to be the first known infection in an animal in the US or a tiger anywhere, federal officials and the zoo said Sunday, per the AP . The 4-year-old Malayan tiger named Nadia—and...
Couple Gets 'Trapped
Apr 5, 2020 4:40 PM CDT
Couple Gets 'Trapped in Paradise'—Alone
Raul and Olivia De Freitas never expected this
- Raul and Olivia De Freitas only planned to stay for six days—and then a pandemic broke out. Which meant the South African couple was stranded at a Maldives resort, all alone with the staff, trapped in paradise. "Everyone says they want to be stuck on a tropical island,...
Scientist: New Data
on US 'Gives Me Hope'
Mar 31, 2020 6:37 AM CDT
Scientist: New Data on US 'Gives Me Hope'
Nation is 'cooling,' according to smart thermometers
- Hundreds of millions of Americans are staying home amid tight restrictions aimed at slowing down the coronavirus pandemic. It appears to be working, according to Kinsa Health, a company that makes "smart thermometers" and has used the data to create a "Health Weather" map of the US . The...
At Least 1 Infected After
Mar 25, 2020 1:39 AM CDT
At Least 1 Infected After 'Coronavirus Party'
Kentucky governor slams 'callous' behavior
- Kentucky reported 39 new coronavirus cases Tuesday—and Gov. Andy Beshear says one of them makes him angry. The governor says at least one person became infected after attending a "coronavirus party" with a group of people in their 20s. Beshear says the group, who "apparently thought they...
Walmart Is Rewarding
Staff for 'Herculean' Efforts
Mar 20, 2020 7:22 AM CDT
Walmart Is Rewarding Staff for 'Herculean' Efforts
Company is paying out $550M in bonuses
- With pandemic panic buying and widespread uncertainty, these are tough times for Walmart workers—but the company says they will be rewarded. Walmart exec Dan Bartlett says the company is paying cash bonuses totalling around $550 million to its hourly workers the
Wall Street Journal
reports. "We felt this...
World Coronavirus Toll
Hits Grim Milestone
Mar 20, 2020 6:11 AM CDT
World Coronavirus Toll Hits Grim Milestone
China reports no new local infections for 2nd day
- Another grim milestone in the coronavirus pandemic: The number of deaths worldwide has now passed 10,000, according to Johns Hopkins University , which is tracking cases worldwide. As of early Friday, there have been 10,031 confirmed COVID-19 deaths worldwide out of more than 245,000 infections, according to the...
Italy Breaks Worldwide
Mar 19, 2020 1:31 PM CDT
Italy Breaks Worldwide Coronavirus Record
Despite having all 60M people on lockdown
- More bad news for Italy: Its coronavirus death toll is now higher than China's, according to Italian officials. After a record 427 deaths Wednesday, the nation has lost 3,405 people, topping China's tally of 3,245,
reports. Italy is still reeling under the effects of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
He Wanted to Be Taller. Agony, $75K Got Him There
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
9 Months Later, Case of Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.