Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Part of Why Texas Is So Hot:
a Persistent 'Death Ridge'
Jul 21, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Part of Why Texas Is So Hot: a Persistent 'Death Ridge'
Wichita Falls, Texas, hit 115 degrees Tuesday
- This summer has already brought extreme temps to Tokyo , Western Europe , and the UK , and now it's the United States' turn in the barrel. While Americans from coast to coast are suffering through heat waves at the moment, AccuWeather reports it's particularly bad in the south-central part of...
Heat in Southwest
Could Be Deadly
Jun 10, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
Heat in Southwest Could Be Deadly
Areas in Texas to California are looking at temperatures over 100 this weekend
- The National Weather Service has warned of a dangerous weekend ahead in the Southwestern US, predicting a "dangerous and deadly heat wave" for the region. More than 30 million people are under heat alerts, CNN reports. Areas in Texas to California will be affected, the agency said, by temperatures...
Rattlesnakes Are Thriving
May 27, 2022 12:03 PM CDT
Rattlesnakes Are Thriving in California
Study suggests that will continue as temperatures warm
- Residents of California and the Southwest may want to brush up on the do's and dont's of rattlesnake encounters. A new study suggests the snakes' population there is thriving and will continue to do so, reports the
. The reason is the very one causing grief for humans...
to Get Scorched
May 21, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
East Coast, You're About to Get Scorched
Early heat wave set to bring unusually high temps to NYC, Boston
- Cities along the East Coast, from Richmond and Philly to New York and Boston, will be slammed this weekend with "abnormally hot" temps, which the
calls "an ominous signal of the effects of human-caused climate change." On Saturday, temperatures along the Eastern Seaboard are expected...
Experts Warn of Possible 'Taste'
of Crossing Climate Threshold
May 10, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
Experts Warn of Possible 'Taste' of Crossing Climate Threshold
There's a 48% chance temps will reach 1.5 degrees C above preindustrial levels before 2026
- The 2015 Paris Agreement lays out the goal to try to limit global warming to a long-term average of 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) above preindustrial levels. But there's already a 48% chance that we'll temporarily breach that limit in one of the next five...
This Was the
in US Since
the Dust Bowl
Sep 10, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
This Was the Hottest Summer in US Since the Dust Bowl
2021 ties 1936 for hottest summer on record
- If you felt like this summer was record-breakingly hot, you're almost right. In the US, the summer of 2021 has tied with the summer of 1936 for hottest on record. As
points out, the country was in the middle of the Dust Bowl that summer. Climate scientists,...
This Is the Hottest Temperature
Ever Recorded in Canada
Jun 28, 2021 1:17 AM CDT
This Is the Hottest Temperature Ever Recorded in Canada
Nearly 115 degrees Fahrenheit, in the village of Lytton on Sunday
- The village of Lytton in the interior of southern British Columbia sizzled under a new all-time high temperature for Canada on Sunday, reaching 46.1 degrees Celsius, or just under 115 degrees Fahrenheit. The reading by Environment Canada in Lytton surpassed the previous national high of 45 C (113 F),...
Northwest Isn't the
Only Part of US
Due for a Scorcher
Jun 26, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Northwest Isn't the Only Part of US Due for a Scorcher
East and West coasts will both see temps well above seasonal averages this weekend, next week
- The Pacific Northwest was already gearing up for a sweltering weekend, with temps in Seattle set to be higher than those in Cairo , but it's not the only part of the US that's due to be hit with soaring digits. CNN notes the "dueling heat waves" that...
For 20 Weeks in 2020, This
City Saw Triple-Digit Temps
Oct 16, 2020 9:52 AM CDT
For 20 Weeks in 2020, This City Saw Triple-Digit Temps
Phoenix shattered a bunch of heat records this year
- It's been a hot Arizona summer, and nowhere more so than in the state's capital. "Almost every heat record that we have here in Phoenix, we've broken this year—shattered some of those records, even," a National Weather Service meteorologist tells the
How Hot Was It
Sunday in Death
Valley? It May Be
a Record Breaker
Aug 17, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
How Hot Was It Sunday in Death Valley? It May Be a Record Breaker
It hit 130 degrees Fahrenheit, possibly the highest 'reliably' recorded temp ever
- It's not called Furnace Creek for nothing. This section of Southern California's Death Valley is notoriously hot, and it may now hold the record for the Earth's hottest temperature ever recorded. Per National Weather Service stats , the thermometer in Furnace Creek hit 130 degrees Fahrenheit around 3:...
This Is the Temp the Feds Say
Your Home Should Be
Aug 21, 2019 7:53 AM CDT
This Is the Temp the Feds Say Your Home Should Be
The internet doesn't think it's literally or metaphorically cool enough
- If you've been heeding the advice of sleep hygienists and dozing off in a cool bedroom each night—a standard suggestion is somewhere between 65 degrees and 72 degrees Fahrenheit —the feds have just upended that routine, and people are getting heated about it. Energy Star, jointly run...
The US Military
Battles a Silent Killer
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 28, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
The US Military Battles a Silent Killer
Heat exposure is hurting and killing service members
- Sgt. Sylvester Cline didn't have to die. The 32-year-old Iraq veteran was training at Fort Chaffee in Arkansas in June 2016 under grueling heat when he fell ill and was rushed to a nearby hospital—where heat exposure took his life. And he isn't the military's only...
New National Heat Record
Set in Australia
Jan 24, 2019 10:45 AM CST
New National Heat Record Set in Australia
Adelaide temperature hits 115.9 degrees Fahrenheit
- Adelaide has sweltered through the highest temperature ever recorded by a major Australian city, peaking at a searing 115.9 degrees Fahrenheit as the drought-parched nation heads toward potentially the hottest January on record. The South Australia state capital city of 1.3 million people on Thursday beat its previous...
Last Month in Death Valley
Was Hottest Month Ever
Recorded on Earth
Aug 1, 2018 10:35 AM CDT
Last Month in Death Valley Was Hottest Month Ever Recorded on Earth
Average temperature over day and night: 108.1 degrees
- Death Valley, well known for its often record high temperatures, has set a new one: Last month in Death Valley was the hottest month ever recorded on the planet Earth. The average temperature—over day and night—was 108.1 degrees, putting July 2018 about a half-degree ahead of July...
and Deaths in
Global Heat Wave
Jul 5, 2018 8:33 AM CDT
Melting Roofs, Buckling Roads, and Deaths in Global Heat Wave
Record-setting temps have been set around the world over the past week
- A city in Oman set a heat record last week, but it's not the only place registering record-setting mercury. The
lists the places worldwide that have been experiencing never-before-recorded heat over the past week, caused by heat pressure or heat domes across the Northern Hemisphere. In North...
New Temperature Record
in Oman? No Sweat
Jun 30, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
New Temperature Record in Oman? No Sweat
Actually, lots of sweat, with a 108.7-degree 24-hour 'low' in Quriyat
- A dangerous heat wave is expected to envelop much of the US over the next few days, but residents in Quriyat, Oman, probably won't have much sympathy. That's because it's so hot there that a new world record was set Tuesday: Per Weather Underground , the city registered...
LA Paints Streets White
to Combat Rising Temps
Sep 9, 2017 4:00 PM CDT
LA Paints Streets White to Combat Rising Temps
The paint could cool streets and parking lots 10 degrees
- As the largest wildfire in Los Angeles history scorches the edge of a city experiencing record-breaking temperatures, LA street workers have started painting streets white as part of a larger effort to tackle warming average temps head-on. Technically, the paint is a very light gray called CoolSeal, and it could...
Scrapping Lawns in LA
Would Change City's Temps
Aug 6, 2016 11:00 AM CDT
Scrapping Lawns in LA Would Change City's Temps
How much depends on what lawns are replaced with
- The typical California home's biggest area of water usage is beyond its four walls: its outdoor landscaping . So in the face of drought, tens of thousands of Los Angeles homeowners made a change last summer, reports the
swapping their grass for artificial turf, gravel, or drought-tolerant shrubs. And...
The 10 US Cities That
Are Warming the Fastest
Jul 20, 2016 11:29 AM CDT
The 10 US Cities That Are Warming the Fastest
Most are in California, Nevada, and Arizona
- The southwest corner of the US has long been known as a sweltering spot, but it's only getting hotter, according to Climate Central , which ranked 178 US cities based on temperature changes since 1965. All but three have seen temperatures rise in the past 50 years, but some are...
Alaska's Frigid Rep
Just Got Ridiculous
Nov 16, 2015 7:20 AM CST
Alaska's Frigid Rep Just Got Ridiculous
A month before winter starts, temps have already plunged to minus 24
- Check out the forecast in Fairbanks, Alaska , for the next few days and you'll see a lot of minus signs. The northernmost state has been slammed with way-below-freezing weather more than a month before winter officially starts, and it could be dangerous if residents aren't careful. "With...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
In Russia, School Shooting Leaves 13 Dead
Girl, 12, Shot Father, Self in Murder Pact With Friend: Cops
Wynonna Judd Breaks Silence on Naomi's Suicide
Texts Show More Alleged Bad Behavior From Brett Favre
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.