Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
JetBlue Goes Hostile
in Takeover Bid of Spirit
May 16, 2022 8:36 AM CDT
JetBlue Goes Hostile in Takeover Bid of Spirit
It's competing with Frontier to acquire Spirit
- JetBlue is going hostile in its bid for Spirit Airlines and asking Spirit shareholders to reject a proposed $2.9 billion acquisition by Frontier Airlines, per the AP . JetBlue is going straight to shareholders of the Florida airline in hopes of pushing its board to the negotiating table. Shares of...
Delta Makes Big Move to
Keep Flight Attendants Happy
Apr 26, 2022 3:13 PM CDT
Delta Makes Big Move to Keep Flight Attendants Happy
Airline will be the first in the US to pay flight attendants during boarding
- Unlike most flight attendants at other major airlines, Delta Air Lines flight attendants aren't unionized—and the company may be trying to keep them that way with an offer to pay them during boarding, which would be a first for a US airline. Flight attendants are usually paid starting...
US Airlines, Ranked
Apr 19, 2022 9:13 AM CDT
US Airlines, Ranked
Delta is No. 1 in eyes of WalletHub
- Earlier this year, the
Wall Street Journal
ranked Delta as the best American airline. Now WalletHub is out with a ranking of its own, and it reaches the same conclusion. The site ranked the nine biggest US airlines, plus two regional carriers, on the usual mix of metrics—price, reliability,...
Companies That Leased Planes
to Russia May Lose Them
Mar 16, 2022 6:09 PM CDT
Companies That Leased Planes to Russia May Lose Them
With Putin moving to keep the aircraft, repossession company isn't sure it can help
- Even before Vladimir Putin changed the law to block them, Western companies that own aircraft leased to Russian airlines were coming to the conclusion that they've seen the last of those planes. More than 500 foreign-owned planes are in Russia, worth as much as $12 billion, experts told the...
After Dire Warning, a
Change to 5G Rollout
Jan 19, 2022 12:18 AM CST
After Dire Warning, a Change to 5G Rollout
AT&T, Verizon delay turning on some of the new 5G cell towers
- AT&T and Verizon will delay launching new wireless service near key airports after the nation’s largest airlines said the service would interfere with aircraft technology and cause widespread flight disruptions, the AP reports. The decision from the companies came Tuesday as the Biden administration intervened to broker a...
Airlines Have a Dire
Warning on 5G Rollout
Jan 18, 2022 6:48 AM CST
Airlines Have a Dire Warning on 5G Rollout
They say it could lead to 'catastrophic' flight disruptions
- Verizon and AT&T are set to deploy new 5G service Wednesday—and in a letter to federal officials Monday, major airlines warned there could be "catastrophic" consequences. As Axios notes, the dispute between the airlines and the wireless companies has been going on a while, with the aviation...
Airline CEOs Say Masks
Don't Do Much for Passengers
Dec 16, 2021 5:35 PM CST
Airline CEOs Say Masks Don't Do Much for Passengers
American, Southwest do some clarifying after backlash on testimony
- While flight crews battle unruly passengers, most of whom refuse to put on a mask for their trip, the bosses of a couple of major airlines told Congress that the masks don't do much good anyway. "I think the case is very strong that masks don't add...
3 Pilots Canned After
Testing Positive for COVID
Nov 19, 2021 8:31 AM CST
3 Pilots Canned After Testing Positive for COVID
Alleged breach of Cathay Pacific rules forced hundreds of people to enter quarantine
- Three Cathay Pacific pilots who tested positive for COVID after returning to Hong Kong from a layover in Frankfurt have been canned. The Hong Kong-based airline said Thursday that the three cargo pilots were fired over a "serious breach" of crew rules, reports Reuters . Cathay requires aircrews with layovers...
Major Storm Threatens
Nov 18, 2021 6:30 PM CST
Major Storm Threatens Thanksgiving Travel
Forecasters see a couple of scenarios
- A major storm could throw a wrench into the plans of Thanksgiving travelers next week. It's too soon to know how the weather will break, meteorologists said, but several ways could affect millions of people planning holiday trips,
reports. "We could be looking at a huge...
JetBlue, Alaska Airlines Adopt
Oct 1, 2021 4:25 PM CDT
JetBlue, Alaska Airlines Adopt Vaccine Mandates
Biden administrator is pressuring the industry
- Alaska Airlines and JetBlue are joining United Airlines in requiring employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, just as the Biden administration steps up pressure on major US carriers to require the shots. White House coronavirus adviser Jeffrey Zients talked to the CEOs of American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, and Southwest...
COVID Rules May
Tighten in Time
for Holiday Travel
Sep 30, 2021 5:26 PM CDT
COVID Rules May Tighten in Time for Holiday Travel
Senate bill would require vaccination or negative test results
- Holiday travelers could face new pandemic rules this season. "We can't allow upcoming holiday air travel to contribute to another surge in COVID cases," Democratic Sen. Diane Feinstein tweeted . "Today, I introduced legislation requiring passengers on domestic flights to be vaccinated, test negative or be fully...
United: New Number Shows
Our Vax Policy Works
Sep 30, 2021 3:40 PM CDT
United: New Number Shows Our Vax Policy Works
Number of workers facing dismissal over refusal to get shots drops by half
United Airlines says the number of employees facing termination for refusing to get vaccinated against COVID-19 has dropped nearly by half, to 320, after more of its 67,000 US workers provided evidence of vaccination, per the AP . The airline had said Tuesday that 593 employees faced termination unless...
Passengers Taken Off Plane
After Teen Sends Gun Pic
Jul 25, 2021 3:50 PM CDT
Passengers Taken Off Plane After Teen Sends Gun Pic
The image was of an airsoft gun that wasn't even on a plane
- Some passengers on a United flight from San Francisco to Orlando, Florida, got a weird photo on their Apple devices delivered via AirDrop. AirDrop is an Apple feature that lets photos be transmitted short distances, and it’s possible to leave that connection open to the public. A photo of...
Airline Industry: Prosecute
Jun 21, 2021 6:05 PM CDT
Airline Industry: Prosecute Disruptive Passengers
Letter asks Justice Department to act, citing increase in cases aboard flights
- Airlines, flight attendants, and pilots are calling for the US Justice Department to prosecute unruly and violent passengers. In a letter to Attorney General Merrick Garland on Monday, the trade group Airlines for America and unions for pilots and flight crew cited a " substantial increase in and growing escalation...
Plane Drops Off Passenger
Screaming 'Stop the Plane'
Jun 5, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Plane Drops Off Passenger Screaming 'Stop the Plane'
A Delta flight from LA to Nashville had to make an emergency landing in Alburquerque
- A Delta flight from Los Angeles to Nashville had to divert to Albuquerque, New Mexico, when a passenger rushed the cockpit. Other passengers and a flight attendant wrestled the passenger to the ground. In video posted to social media, the quick-thinking flight attendant can be heard saying, “that’s...
Southwest Keeps Flights Dry
After Passenger Clashes
May 28, 2021 3:25 PM CDT
Southwest Keeps Flights Dry After Passenger Clashes
Alcohol service had been scheduled to resume this summer
- Southwest Airlines is delaying serving alcohol again on flights after an increase in incidents of unruly passengers. The airline was planning to resume selling alcohol next month on Hawaii flights and in July on other flights, the AP reports, a move that was questioned by the president of the union...
FAA Has 2.5K Reports
of Unruly Fliers This Year
May 24, 2021 4:55 PM CDT
FAA Has 2.5K Reports of Unruly Fliers This Year
Number of cases is way up this year, and air travel is getting busier
- The Federal Aviation Administration said Monday that mask violations account for about 1,900 of the 2,500 unruly passenger reports it has received this year. The agency usually handles 100 to 150 formal cases in a year. The FAA is weighing the allegations, Reuters reports, and said 395 of...
Keeping That Middle Seat
Empty? Delta to Kill Policy
Mar 31, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Keeping That Middle Seat Empty? Delta to Kill Policy
It's the last US airline to do so
- Delta Air Lines, the last US airline still blocking middle seats, will end that policy in May as air travel recovers and more people become vaccinated against COVID-19. The decision announced Wednesday reversed a policy that had been in place since last April, and which Delta's CEO had repeatedly...
The 2020 Losses
Are In for Airlines
Jan 28, 2021 6:25 PM CST
The 2020 Losses Are In for Airlines
Southwest finishes the year in the red for the first time in decades
- Just how bad was 2020 for the airline industry? The six biggest US airlines lost $34 billion, and Southwest suffered its first full-year loss since Richard Nixon was president and gasoline sold for 36 cents a gallon. It was a disaster for airlines, worse than 9/11 or the global financial...
Man Climbs Onto Wing of Plane
As it Prepares for Takeoff
Dec 13, 2020 6:15 AM CST
Man Climbs Onto Wing of Plane As it Prepares for Takeoff
Question is, how'd he get on there?
- Passengers aboard a flight out of McCarren International in Las Vegas were shocked Saturday to see a man stroll onto the wing of the plane just as it was about to take off. Per the
Las Vegas Review-Journal ,
Alaska Airlines flight 1367 was preparing to depart for Portland when pilots...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Madison Cawthorn Issues Defiant Message After Loss
Carlson Asked Unexpected Person for Favor for His Son
Suspects' Mercedes-Benz Getting Loads of Attention
His Offer to Pay Off Women's Debt Was Too Good to Be True
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.