Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Gov. Newsom's Wife
Testifies in Weinstein Trial
Nov 15, 2022 12:09 AM CST
Gov. Newsom's Wife Testifies in Weinstein Trial
Jennifer Siebel Newsom gives graphic account of alleged rape
- Jennifer Siebel Newsom, a documentary filmmaker and the wife of California Gov. Gavin Newsom, nearly screamed through tears from the witness stand Monday when she told the court Harvey Weinstein raped her in a hotel room and spoke of the devastating effect it had on her in the 17 years...
Gets Some Bad News
Oct 15, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Manson Follower Gets Some Bad News
Calif. Gov. Gavin Newsom blocks parole for Patricia Krenwinkel after board recommends it
- California's governor blocked the parole of Charles Manson follower Patricia Krenwinkel on Friday, more than five decades after she scrawled "Helter Skelter" on a wall using the blood of one of their victims. Gov. Gavin Newsom said Krenwinkel, now 74, is still too much of a public safety...
No. 4' in New
Is Known Name
Oct 11, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
'Jane Doe No. 4' in New Weinstein Trial Is Known Name
Jennifer Siebel Newsom, married to Calif. Gov. Gavin Newsom, will testify
- Harvey Weinstein's trial kicked off Monday in Los Angeles, with the disgraced movie producer facing down 11 counts of sexual assault spurred by allegations from five women, in incidents said to have taken place between 2004 and 2013. One of those women, who will testify as "Jane Doe...
Radio Host May Seek Top Job
Sep 19, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
Radio Host May Seek Top Job
Larry Elder, now off the air, says he doesn't feel like he'd be running against Trump
- Larry Elder, longtime host of a syndicated radio talk show and one-time candidate for California governor, said he's thinking about running for the GOP nomination for president—no matter who else does. "I'm not running against anybody on the Republican side," Elder told the
California Will Start Making
Its Own Insulin
Jul 8, 2022 10:59 AM CDT
California Will Start Making Its Own Insulin
Governor says costs will significantly drop, plus jobs will be created
- For diabetics in California, economic relief may soon be on the way. On Thursday, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a groundbreaking initiative that will allow the state to manufacture its own insulin, reports KION-TV . Half of the earmarked $100 million will go toward developing affordable insulin products, and the other $50...
Jul 4, 2022 8:00 PM CDT
Newsom Airs Anti-GOP Ad in Florida
Fellow Democrats applaud taking the fight to Republicans
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom launched a commercial Monday attacking Republicans he's not running against—yet. The Democrat addresses Floridians in a 30-second spot that began airing Monday on Fox News stations throughout their state, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. "Freedom, it's under attack in your state. Republican...
Newsom Joins Truth Social
to Counter 'Republican Lies'
Jun 17, 2022 12:37 PM CDT
Newsom Joins Truth Social to Counter 'Republican Lies'
'This could get…interesting,' governor says
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom is taking his message to the people who might be the least interested—the users of former President Trump's Truth Social network. In a tweet Thursday, the Democratic governor said he had joined Truth Social to call out "Republican lies," Deadline reports. "...
Woman Signs California Bill
Into Law in a 171-Year First
Mar 31, 2022 7:20 PM CDT
Woman Signs California Bill Into Law in a 171-Year First
Lt. Gov. Eleni Kounalakis to act as governor until Newsom returns
- For the first time in California's 171-year history, a woman has signed a bill into state law. Gov. Gavin Newsom normally signs the laws in California, but he left the state on Wednesday night for a family vacation in Central and South America. State law requires Lt. Gov. Eleni...
Gov: Manson Family Member
Poses 'Unreasonable Danger'
Mar 30, 2022 8:26 AM CDT
Gov: Manson Family Member Poses 'Unreasonable Danger'
Calif.'s Gavin Newsom gives Leslie Van Houten, 72, a 5th gubernatorial denial of her parole bid
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Tuesday blocked parole for Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten, reversing a panel's recommendation that she be freed after spending a half-century in prison. Van Houten, 72, "poses an unreasonable danger to society if released from prison at this time," Newsom said...
Texas Inspires Gun Legislation
Feb 18, 2022 4:06 PM CST
Texas Inspires Gun Legislation
California measure would involve citizens in enforcing assault weapons ban
- A new bill in California would allow private citizens go after gun-makers in the same way Texas lets them target abortion providers, though gun advocates immediately promised a court challenge if it becomes law. Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom on Friday backed legislation that would let private citizens enforce the state'...
California Is First State
to Switch to 'Endemic' Policy
Feb 17, 2022 4:46 PM CST
California Is First State to Switch to 'Endemic' Policy
Newsom says the goal is 'to be prepared without being paranoid'
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday announced the first shift by a state to an "endemic" approach to the coronavirus pandemic that emphasizes prevention and quick reactions to outbreaks over mandates. It's a milestone nearly two years in the making that harkens to a return to a more...
Garcetti: I Was Holding My
Breath in Maskless Photo
Feb 3, 2022 12:05 PM CST
Garcetti: I Was Holding My Breath in Maskless Photo
Garcetti, Newsom accused of violating SoFi stadium mandate
- Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti has a new job lined up as ambassador to India—but with his apparent breath-holding abilities, he might want to consider a career as a pearl diver. The mayor was mocked this week after he said he was holding his breath in a photo where...
Health Care Workers Must
Get Booster Shots in This State
Dec 22, 2021 12:49 AM CST
Health Care Workers Must Get Booster Shots in This State
California Gov. Gavin Newsom makes the announcement on Twitter
- California health care workers will be required to have coronavirus booster shots to ensure that hospitals are ready to deal with a surge in cases as the more-transmissible omicron variant spreads throughout the state, the AP reports. Gov. Gavin Newsom announced the order Tuesday on his personal Twitter account and...
Returns to California
Dec 14, 2021 3:02 AM CST
Mask Mandate Returns to California
Starts Wednesday and runs for one month
- California is bringing back a rule requiring people to wear masks indoors, a move aimed at containing a new type of the coronavirus as people gather with family and friends during the holidays. Gov. Gavin Newsom’s administration announced the new mandate will start Wednesday and last until Jan. 15,...
Dec 13, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Newsom Borrows Tactic From Texas
California governor wants a gun law modeled on Texas' abortion law
- "If [Texas] can ban abortion and endanger lives, [California] can ban deadly weapons of war and save lives." That's Gavin Newsom's latest stance , and one he intends to try to turn into law. The California governor made his announcement Saturday on the heels of the Supreme...
Newsom: My Kids Talked Me
Into Skipping Climate Summit
Nov 9, 2021 9:10 PM CST
Newsom: My Kids Talked Me Into Skipping Climate Summit
California governor says time out of the public eye was spent catching up with family
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom, who was out of the public eye for almost two weeks after he abruptly canceled his trip to the COP26 summit, resurfaced Tuesday and said his kids had talked him into skipping the climate conference to go trick-or-treating. Newsom, speaking at the 2021 California Economic Summit,...
Sep 27, 2021 7:12 PM CDT
California Makes Mail-In Voting Law
Pandemic experiment will be the new normal
- Until recently, only a handful of states have automatic mail-in ballot systems. Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, Utah, Colorado, and Nevada, and DC use the system, and Vermont does, too, in general elections. California is the newest member of the club, since Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill Monday making California’s...
No More 'Aliens'
Sep 26, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
No More 'Aliens' In California
Gov. Newsom strikes 'offensive' word from state law
- California will strike the word "alien" from the books. Fresh off his recall election blowout , Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Friday he's signed legislation removing the "offensive" term and replacing it in state law with "non-citizen" and "immigrant," per Axios , which notes the term has...
2 of Gavin
Sep 18, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
2 of Gavin Newsom's Kids Have COVID
They're said to have mild symptoms and will be quarantined; Newsom, wife, other 2 kids negative
- It's been a good news/bad news kind of week for Gavin Newsom. On Tuesday, he survived California's recall election to remain governor of the state. On Friday, a not-so-cheery announcement out of his office, per SFGate : Two of his four young children have tested positive for COVID. "...
Kimmel Roasts Caitlyn Jenner
Over Election Finish
Sep 16, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Kimmel Roasts Caitlyn Jenner Over Election Finish
She received about 1% of the vote in California recall election
- In coverage of Gavin Newsom's easy win in California's gubernatorial recall election, it was easy to miss the results for candidate Caitlyn Jenner . She wasn't exactly in the conversation among top finishers:
Jenner received a mere 1.1% of the vote on the question of
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
The 'Iconic' Kirstie Alley Is Dead at 71
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.