Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Takeaways From the 'Great
Red vs. Blue State Debate'
Dec 1, 2023 8:43 AM CST
Takeaways From the 'Great Red vs. Blue State Debate'
Florida governor was feistier against Democrat than he has been in Republican debates
- Two governors clashed Thursday night in what Fox News billed as "The Great Red vs. Blue State Debate." Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and California Gov. Gavin Newsom debated for 90 minutes in an empty studio in Georgia. Both governors hurled insults at each other in the debate, which...
Hurl Insults During Debate
Nov 30, 2023 10:09 PM CST
DeSantis, Newsom Hurl Insults During Debate
And Trump, of course, weighs in
- In an alternate reality, the prime-time showdown between California Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom and Florida Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis on Thursday could have been a preview of a 2024 general election debate. Instead, the 90-minute meeting was a hard-to-explain event that pitted one struggling Republican presidential hopeful against a Democratic...
in Fox Showdown
Nov 30, 2023 4:12 PM CST
Newsom, DeSantis in Fox Showdown
Democrat, Republican to debate for 90 minutes, then speak to reporters
- California Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom and Florida Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis will debate Thursday night on Fox News Channel in an event featuring two young, high-profile leaders with presidential aspirations who may have to wait a while to realize them. Newsom, 56, has talked about eventually running for president but...
California Reopens Burnt
Nov 20, 2023 11:00 AM CST
California Reopens Burnt Freeway, Releases Suspect Photos
I-10 was reopened well ahead of initial schedule
- An elevated Los Angeles freeway closed for more than a week because of an arson fire reopened ahead of Monday morning's commute, at least a day earlier than previously announced and weeks ahead of the original estimate. "The 10 is BACK! ... This is what happens when we work...
'Malice Intent' Behind
Massive LA Freeway Fire
Nov 14, 2023 1:00 AM CST
'Malice Intent' Behind Massive LA Freeway Fire
California Gov. Gavin Newsom says investigation is ongoing
- The fire that damaged a major elevated interstate near downtown Los Angeles, shutting it down (and snarling traffic) indefinitely , was likely arson, officials have determined. The blaze started under an overpass early Saturday, and sources tell the
Los Angeles Times
wood pallets and sanitizer (accumulated amid the early days of...
LA's Gnarly Commute
Just Got Worse
Nov 13, 2023 7:26 AM CST
LA's Gnarly Commute Just Got Worse
Fire causes damage to Los Angeles interstate, drivers are urged to take mass transit on Monday
- Los Angeles motorists should expect traffic snarls during the Monday commute as crews assess how much damage was caused by a raging fire over the weekend that closed a major elevated interstate near downtown, officials said. Hazardous materials teams were clearing burned material from underneath Interstate 10 to make way...
Newsom Vetoes Bills
on Condoms, Insulin
Oct 9, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Newsom Vetoes Bills on Condoms, Insulin
Fellow Dems aren't happy
- Gavin Newsom has been putting his veto pen to good use in recent days, earning criticism from fellow Democrats on two bills specifically. First, on Saturday, the California governor nixed legislation that would've barred insurance companies from making consumers pay more than $35 per month out of pocket for...
Laphonza Butler Is
America's Newest Senator
Oct 3, 2023 3:14 PM CDT
Laphonza Butler Is America's Newest Senator
Third Black woman to serve in Senate was sworn in by the second
- America's newest senator, Democratic Sen. Laphonza Butler, was sworn in to replace the late Sen. Barbara Feinstein on Tuesday, making history in more ways than one. Butler, president of the Emily's List fundraising group, is the third Black woman to serve in the Senate and she was sworn...
Agree to Debate on Fox
Sep 25, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
DeSantis, Newsom Agree to Debate on Fox
Sean Hannity will moderate debate between Republican, Democratic governors
- While Donald Trump is shunning Republican debates, one of his rivals for the GOP nomination has agreed to debate somebody he isn't even running against. Fox News says Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has agreed to debate California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Nov. 30, NBC News reports. Fox says the...
Freed After 53 Years
Jul 11, 2023 3:29 PM CDT
Manson Follower Freed After 53 Years
Leslie Van Houten is now in transitional housing, lawyer says
- Leslie Van Houten has been released from a California prison after serving more than 50 years for her role in some of the most notorious murders in American history. Attorney Nancy Tetreault says the 73-year-old former Charles Manson follower left the California Institution for Women in Corona Tuesday morning and...
California's Newest Lake
Is a Surprise Visitor
Jul 9, 2023 6:05 AM CDT
California's Newest Lake Is a Surprise Visitor
Ancient Tulare Lake returns thanks to heavy rain and snowmelt, but it's not for swimmers
- At one time Tulare Lake was the biggest freshwater lake in the West. Over time, California's agricultural needs drained it away, leaving behind verdant farmland. Then came the winter of 2022-2023 and its massive storms, piling snow on Golden State mountaintops and inundating the lowlands. Tulare Lake returned to...
Facing a 'Biden Gap'
Jul 7, 2023 1:49 PM CDT
Democrats Are Facing a 'Biden Gap'
The bigger the name, the bigger their support of the president in 2024, writes Jonathan Martin
- In an assessment of the 2024 race for Politico Magazine , Jonathan Martin writes of what he calls the "Biden gap" among Democrats. "The further up a Democrat is on the political food chain, the more publicly supportive and even defensive they are of the president," he writes....
Gavin Newsom Proposes
Jun 8, 2023 11:34 AM CDT
Gavin Newsom Proposes 28th Amendment
Governor wants to 'enshrine fundamental, broadly supported gun safety measures into law'
- There hasn't been a new amendment to the United States Constitution since the 27th Amendment in 1992—and that one took more than 200 years to ratify—but California Gov. Gavin Newsom is pushing for a 28th to deal with gun violence. According to a statement from the Democratic...
Court Calls for Freeing
Manson Family Member
May 30, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
Court Calls for Freeing Manson Family Member
Decision overrules California governor on parole for Leslie Van Houten, 72
- A California appeals court ruled Tuesday that Charles Manson's youngest follower should be released from prison, reversing Gov. Gavin Newsom. The 2-1 decision by the Second District Court of Appeal in Los Angeles said Leslie Van Houten "has shown extraordinary rehabilitative efforts, insight, remorse, realistic parole plans, support...
Big Name Pops
Up as Possible
May 25, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
Big Name Pops Up as Possible Feinstein Replacement
'Floated in California circle' as debate continues on whether 89-year-old senator should resign: Oprah
- From a recent "concerning" exchange with a journalist, to the odd revelation that Nancy Pelosi's daughter is serving as her aide, Sen. Dianne Feinstein continues to spur questions on whether she should step down after a debilitating bout of shingles and related conditions . One person on the side...
Target Yanks Some Pride Merch
May 24, 2023 7:29 AM CDT
Target Yanks Some Pride Merch
Employees feared for safety, designer faced death threats
- Target will remove some LGBTQ-themed merchandise from its stores and website after shoppers threatened store employees and knocked down displays. The retailer has received negative reactions to its Pride Month merchandise, including rainbow-colored clothing and decor items, in the past, but employees have been met with an aggressive response this...
Move' on Insulin
Mar 20, 2023 11:15 AM CDT
In California, an 'Extraordinary Move' on Insulin
Gov. Gavin Newsom announces $50M partnership with Civica Rx to make $30 vials of diabetic drug
- Last summer, California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced that his state planned to manufacture its own, more affordable, insulin for diabetics there. Now, California has moved a step closer to making that a reality. Newsom, who's on a statewide road trip to talk about his administration's policies, made a...
Feb 23, 2023 7:15 PM CST
Musk Partially Reverses Exit From California
Tesla's engineering headquarters will be in Palo Alto, not Texas
- After moving his residence to Texas and threatening to pull all of Tesla out of California, Elon Musk has had a change of heart. With California Gov. Gavin Newsom at his side, Musk announced Wednesday that the automaker's global engineering headquarters will be in Palo Alto. The headquarters will...
'Second Amendment Is
Becoming a Suicide Pact'
Jan 24, 2023 7:51 AM CST
'Second Amendment Is Becoming a Suicide Pact'
California Gov. Gavin Newsom speaks out amid 3 mass shootings in 3 days in his state
- California has seen three deadly mass shootings in three days , and Gov. Gavin Newsom delivered a line to CBS Evening News likely to fire up both sides of the gun laws debate. "The Second Amendment is becoming a suicide pact," said Newsom on a visit to Monterey Park,...
Californians Are Asked to Be
Careful During More Storms
Jan 14, 2023 5:30 PM CST
Californians Are Asked to Be Careful During More Storms
26M already are under a flood watch
- California—which already has almost 26 million residents under a flood watch, the National Weather Service says—endured still more storms on Saturday. Forecasts call for another 6 inches of rain through Sunday in much of the state, an amount not so worrisome if the ground weren't already saturated,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
Police Say Suspect in UNLV Shooting Is Dead
A 65-Year-Old Christmas Classic Finally Hits No. 1
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.