Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
His Graffitied Proposal Was
a Landmark. Then It Got Erased
Jun 14, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
His Graffitied Proposal Was a Landmark. Then It Got Erased
Now, James Lowe's message on bridge in Sheffield, England, is back after public clamor
- "For better or for worse, graffiti is normal in every city across the world." So begins the YouTube video entitled "The Graffiti That Changed a City," referring to a 20-year-old spray-painted marriage proposal on a pedestrian bridge in Sheffield, England, that "became a symbol of...
Graffiti Artists Hit
Yet Another National Park
Jun 13, 2022 7:27 AM CDT
Graffiti Artists Hit Yet Another National Park
This time, dozens of sites were vandalized with spray paint at California's Yosemite
- If you visited Yosemite National Park in mid-May, you may be of assistance to the National Park Service in nabbing some vandals. In a Sunday Facebook post , park officials showed images of rocks along the Yosemite Falls Trail covered in blue and white spray paint, some of them with the...
Vandals Scratch Names
Over 'Priceless' Rock Art
Jan 18, 2022 10:21 AM CST
Vandals Scratch Names Over 'Priceless' Rock Art
Repaired Big Bend petroglyph will never be the same
- Some 4,000 to 8,500 years after a Native American artist made an etching in a 30-million-year-old volcanic boulder at what is now Texas' Big Bend National Park, visitors decided to leave their mark, too—directly on top. Four names and the date—Dec. 26, 2021—were carved across...
Man in Hot Water Over
His Pothole Drawings
May 7, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Man in Hot Water Over His Pothole Drawings
NZ's Geoff Upson has been depicting penises on dozens of potholes to get them fixed faster
- Geoff Upson has had it with the potholes littering the streets of his New Zealand community, but the way he's been handling this grievance now has him facing prosecution. In 2018, the 30-year-old Auckland handyman registered his first complaint with local transportation authorities about one particularly "huge and...
Jan 2, 2021 3:10 PM CST
McConnell Decries 'Radical Tantrum'
Vandals leave messages about stimulus payments
- Spray-painted political messages have been left on Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's house in Louisville, evidently demanding larger stimulus checks for Americans. McConnell opposes $2,000 payments and has prevented the Senate from voting on the issue. The graffiti was discovered Saturday morning, Fox News reports. House Speaker Nancy'...
With BLM Graffiti
Sep 2, 2020 2:25 PM CDT
Graceland Hit With BLM Graffiti
Elvis' stepbrother says it was 'totally uncalled for'
- Messages of Black Lives Matter and "Defund the Police" were spray painted on several tourist attractions in Tennessee on Monday night, including Graceland, the Elvis Presley estate, authorities says. The graffiti phrases were found Tuesday morning outside Graceland, the Levitt Shell Amphitheater in Overton Park, and the “I...
Is Being Buried
Apr 8, 2020 2:59 PM CDT
'Graffiti Highway' Is Being Buried
Colorful stretch of abandoned road was attracting too many trespassers
- Pennsylvania's "Graffiti Highway" is history, apparently thanks to a stream of trespassers and worries about liability. The colorful stretch of Route 61 through Centralia, closed to traffic since 1993, is being covered with dirt by a local coal company, CNN reports. Over the decades it had been covered...
Caught on Video,
a Polar Bear
With a Message
Dec 4, 2019 11:40 AM CST
Caught on Video, a Polar Bear With a Message
'T-34' graffiti on bear in Russia could blow its camouflage, make it hard for it to hunt
- A video showing a graffitied polar bear is making the rounds, and the outrage is about more than aesthetics. The clip of the bear, recorded somewhere in Russia, was first uploaded to Facebook Monday by Sergey Kavry, a World Wildlife Fund worker. The bear is seen trudging over the tundra...
University Janitor Counters
Racism With Kindness
Nov 20, 2019 2:50 PM CST
University Janitor Counters Racism With Kindness
After racist incidents at Syracuse University, Keri Courtwright takes action
- Restoring your hope in humanity today: Keri Courtwright. The 35-year-old works the night shift as a janitor at Syracuse University, a school that's been investigating racist graffiti found on campus this month . Courtwright is no stranger to graffiti, and like all janitors has "graffiti cleaner" among her supplies....
Police: Woman Admits to
4-Week Racist Graffiti Spree
Apr 9, 2019 12:55 PM CDT
Police: Woman Admits to 4-Week Racist Graffiti Spree
Police say Allison Johnson of Oklahoma spray-painted slurs, threats over a 4-week period
- A 45-year-old Oklahoma woman is accused of going on what Fox 25 refers to as "a hate-filled crime spree" over a period of four weeks in Norman and Oklahoma City. Racist and anti-Semitic slurs, including swastikas and Nazi symbols, and threats of violence to non-white people, were spray painted...
Huge Graffiti Scrawled
in Amazon's New Nabe
Dec 2, 2018 11:40 AM CST
Huge Graffiti Scrawled in Amazon's New Nabe
Seems Amazon enemies vandalized the place
- Amazon-haters apparently broke into a building the company owns Saturday and left their mark: the word "Scamazon" written in big orange letters. Police say they spotted the graffiti written on floor-to-ceiling windows facing out over the East River in Long Island City, Queens, at about 5pm and had it...
Paris Jackson Scrubs Graffiti
From Father's Hollywood Star
Jun 14, 2018 6:30 PM CDT
Paris Jackson Scrubs Graffiti From Father's Hollywood Star
Michael Jackson's Walk of Fame star was tagged
- Paris Jackson has shared a photo of herself cleaning graffiti left on her father's Hollywood star. Per
, the 20-year-old model posted a shot of herself on hands and knees scrubbing the Walk of Fame tribute to late performer Michael Jackson, who died nine years ago this...
'Unrepentant' Landlord Must
Pay $6.7M Over Ruined Graffiti
Feb 13, 2018 9:45 AM CST
'Unrepentant' Landlord Must Pay $6.7M Over Ruined Graffiti
Judge awards 5Pointz artists a big payday over warehouse art that was torn down
- A judge awarded $6.7 million Monday to graffiti artists who sued after dozens of their works were destroyed on the walls of dilapidated warehouses torn down to make room for high-rise luxury residences. US District Judge Frederic Block in Brooklyn said 45 of the 49 paintings were recognized works...
Leave No Trace? Not in the
National Parks These Days
Jul 25, 2017 9:30 AM CDT
Leave No Trace? Not in the National Parks These Days
'What can we do as a culture to cut down on these occurrences?'
- There's a growing number of vandalism citations at national parks in the US, and the Mesa Verde National Park in southwest Colorado appears to be a top target. In a Facebook post, the park says its mission of educating and inspiring "this and future generations" through the "...
Florida City Under
Siege by 'Butt Graffiti'
Jun 30, 2017 12:32 PM CDT
Florida City Under Siege by 'Butt Graffiti'
'It's not very creative'
- "It is clearly an image of a butt," a coffee shop employee tells Fox 13 regarding a piece of graffiti that recently appeared in their bathroom. But police have a different view. "What it looks like to us is vandalism," Assistant Police Chief Jim Previterra says....
Act of Hoity-Toity Vandalism Is
'Most Cambridge Thing Ever'
Apr 5, 2017 6:18 PM CDT
Act of Hoity-Toity Vandalism Is 'Most Cambridge Thing Ever'
Someone scrawled graffiti across new homes—in Latin
- They're calling it "the most Cambridge thing ever": graffiti—written in Latin—scrawled across multiple million-dollar homes in the famed UK college town. The Press Association reports the graffiti, which reads "Locus in Domos Loci Populum," appeared Tuesday morning. The words were written on new luxury...
Lincoln Memorial, Washington
Feb 21, 2017 12:00 PM CST
Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument Vandalized
World War II memorial also hit with graffiti
- The National Park Service says graffiti has been found at the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, and the World War II Memorial, the AP reports. US Park Police spokeswoman Sgt. Anna Rose said Tuesday that the messages written in permanent marker were discovered over the holiday weekend. Similar graffiti was...
Targets of Racist Graffiti
Now Getting Fined for It
Feb 21, 2017 7:43 AM CST
Targets of Racist Graffiti Now Getting Fined for It
Connecticut couple demands police act before they remove slur
- When Heather Lindsay and Lexene Charles discovered the n-word painted across their garage door on the weekend of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, they decided to leave it up in plain view. The interracial couple says their home in Stamford, Conn., has been vandalized several times and at least three...
Teens' Punishment for 'White
Power' Graffiti: Book Reports
Feb 13, 2017 6:00 PM CST
Teens' Punishment for 'White Power' Graffiti: Book Reports
They vandalized black schoolhouse; now they have to read tomes about oppression
- Some say don't judge a book by its cover, but a Virginia attorney's office will be judging the progress of a group of teenagers by their book reports. The five teens pleaded guilty to vandalizing the Ashburn Colored School, a historic black schoolhouse, by spray-painting it with swastikas...
Then They Dug
Into Their Bags
Feb 5, 2017 3:27 PM CST
Subway Riders Saw Swastikas. Then They Dug Into Their Bags
One of 3 such incidents to make headlines this weekend
- Houston made headlines first over the weekend, after a swastika was drawn in chalk on Rice University's statue of William Marsh Rice on Friday night. As CNN reports, it was the first of three such incidents to occur in different pockets of the country over a roughly 24-hour period....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.