Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Vladimir Putin Will Seek Another 6 Years in Power
National Weather Service
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Red Flag Warning'
for All of Hawaii
Aug 31, 2023 12:36 PM CDT
NWS Issues 'Red Flag Warning' for All of Hawaii
Weather agency says wind gusts, low humidity have upped risk of rapid-spreading fires on islands
- The National Weather Service on Wednesday warned that gusty winds and low humidity have increased the risk that fires could spread rapidly in the western parts of each Hawaiian island, three weeks after a deadly blaze tore through a coastal Maui town during a similar alert. But the agency said...
Heat' to Come
Aug 24, 2023 7:24 AM CDT
There's More 'Record-Breaking Heat' to Come
Temperatures will near 100 degrees in many cities before weekend brings relief for some
- Much of the country continues to bake under a heat dome, with more than 110 million people in 20 states under heat alerts as of Thursday. More than 81 million are under excessive heat warnings , including in New Orleans, Dallas, and Louisville. The National Weather Service expects "another day...
This Particular Storm
Warning Made History
Feb 19, 2023 8:08 AM CST
This Particular Storm Warning Made History
Alert from the national Storm Prediction Center was the first ever issued by a woman
- The alert itself wasn't uncommon: On Wednesday, the National Weather Service's Storm Prediction Center warned that conditions were shaping up to create the potential for severe storms. What sets this one apart is that it was from Elizabeth Leitman, who became the first woman to issue a severe...
Warnings Were Delayed
as Iowa Tornado Approached
Mar 8, 2022 1:06 AM CST
Warnings Were Delayed as Iowa Tornado Approached
But a systems analyst doubts it made much of a difference
- A computer glitch could have turned deadly in Iowa. Before Saturday's tornado outbreak , in which the death toll stands at 7, a government computer system was experiencing an unrelated technical problem that overloaded the network, and National Weather Service warnings were delayed as a result, the
Des Moines Register
California, Get Ready to Sweat
Jul 8, 2021 8:23 AM CDT
California, Get Ready to Sweat
Death Valley could hit 130 degrees over the weekend amid new heatwave
- California, already facing drought, wildfires, and high temperatures, is now in for a new, potentially record-setting heatwave. Temperatures in inland regions will climb into the triple digits into the weekend, with possible highs of 120 degrees Fahrenheit in some areas, per the
Los Angeles Times
. The National Weather...
They Thought NWS Station Had
10 More Years. Now, Just Days
Apr 14, 2021 12:55 PM CDT
They Thought NWS Station Had 10 More Years. Now, Just Days
Cape Cod station abandoned 2 weeks ago due to coastal erosion to be razed later this month
- Crashing waves were clearly eroding the land around a National Weather Service station on Massachusetts' Cape Cod. Still, officials thought it would stand for another 10 years at least. That's not the case now. The Chatham station, which has been in use for 50 years, was abandoned on March...
Unusual Pandemic Casualty:
May 8, 2020 2:41 PM CDT
Unusual Pandemic Casualty: Weather Forecasts
Airplanes that provide meteorological data aren't flying
- Last month, the director general of the International Air Transport Association described the coronavirus pandemic as the biggest crisis to ever hit the industry, leaving airlines "with little to do," per Business Insider . One ramification now coming to light is the effect on weather forecasts. As NPR reports,...
Arctic Front on its Way South
Could Shatter 170 Records
Nov 8, 2019 4:29 PM CST
Arctic Front on its Way South Could Shatter 170 Records
Most everyplace east of the Rockies is in for abnormal cold
- Much of the continental U.S. can expect weather that's not just a little colder than usual next week: Temperatures east of the Rockies could run 20-30 degrees below normal. Tide after tide of Arctic cold has been moving south from Canada. "One wave of cold came in...
Report: Wilbur Ross Intervened
After Trump's Dorian Tweet
Sep 10, 2019 3:21 AM CDT
Report: Wilbur Ross Intervened After Trump's Dorian Tweet
Sources say commerce chief threatened firings at NOAA
- Hurricane Dorian is now dissipating over the North Atlantic—but the political storm that began with President Trump's incorrect claim that the hurricane was expected to hit Alabama is still with us. Sources tell the
New York Times
that Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross threatened to fire senior National Oceanic...
Before Alabama Controversy,
NOAA Staff Had Been Warned
Sep 9, 2019 1:03 AM CDT
Before Alabama Controversy, NOAA Staff Had Been Warned
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration told staff not to contradict Trump
- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration on Friday issued a statement backing President Trump's claim, nearly a week prior, that Alabama faced serious risk from Hurricane Dorian. NOAA's support of Trump was a head-scratcher, because the National Weather Service (a NOAA agency) had quickly refuted Trump's claim...
NOAA Takes on NWS in
Trump Storm Controversy
Sep 7, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
NOAA Takes on NWS in Trump Storm Controversy
NOAA backs Trump; head of NWS Employees Organization calls NOAA remarks 'disgusting'
- We're in Day 6 of the metaphorical storm swirling around President Trump regarding a literal storm, and now the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has been dragged into it. CNN reports the government agency issued a statement Friday backing the president's claim on Sunday that the state of...
National Weather Service
Bakes Biscuits, to Make Point
Jul 19, 2019 2:45 PM CDT
National Weather Service Bakes Biscuits, to Make Point
Experiment demonstrates heat wave danger
- To give everyone an idea of what this week's heat can do to humans and pets in cars, the National Weather Service in Omaha demonstrated its effect on biscuit dough. A pan with four future biscuits was placed on the dashboard of a car parked in the sun, the...
Mysterious Orbs Appear
Over Kansas City
Jun 21, 2019 6:50 AM CDT
Mysterious Orbs Appear Over Kansas City
NWS said it has 'no explanation'
- The National Weather Service was flummoxed by two mysterious white orbs that appeared in the skies over Kansas City Thursday evening. "We honestly have no explanation for the floating objects over Kansas City," the NWS tweeted , sharing a photo of the two spheres. In hundreds of replies to...
Family of Storm Chaser Killed
in Crash Sues TWC for $125M
Mar 27, 2019 8:27 AM CDT
Family of Storm Chaser Killed in Crash Sues TWC for $125M
Corbin Lee Jaeger's mom says 2 Weather Channel contractors were 'habitually reckless and dangerous'
- Nearly two years to the day after three storm-chasers were killed in a Texas crash , the mother of one of the men has filed a $125 million lawsuit against The Weather Channel, per
. The complaint filed by Karen Di Piazza, mother of the National Weather Service's Corbin...
Quite Like This
Mar 1, 2019 4:40 PM CST
Los Angeles Never Had a February Quite Like This
For the first time, the temperature never hit 70
- It won't sound chilly to the people of Rapid City, South Dakota, but it does to Angelenos. For the first time since records began 132 years ago, the temperature in downtown Los Angeles never got as high as 70 degrees in all of February. Overall, it was the eighth-coldest...
Feb 14, 2019 6:47 PM CST
NWS Issues 'Small Dog Warning' Over Wind
Luckily, all pooches seem to have survived Ohio's windy weather
- Just how windy has it been in Ohio this week? The National Weather Service in Cleveland issued an "unofficial 'Small Dog Warning' Wind Advisory" because of 50mph gusts, reports
. "Hold on tight to your small dog so it doesn't fly away," the NWS advised....
13 Years Ago, a Dire Forecast
Proved to Be All Too Accurate
Aug 28, 2018 11:33 AM CDT
13 Years Ago, a Dire Forecast Proved to Be All Too Accurate
Robert Ricks of the NWS was spot-on in his predictions ahead of Katrina
- It's one of the most famous weather forecasts of the modern era, and it came out exactly 13 years ago to the day. That would be Aug. 28, 2005, one day before Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans. National Weather Service meteorologist Robert Ricks issued a forecast so dire that...
East Coast Rattled by
Fake Tsunami Warning
Feb 6, 2018 10:16 AM CST
East Coast Rattled by Fake Tsunami Warning
National Weather Service says issue may have been AccuWeather app glitch
- It's deja vu all over again, with the fear based in the Atlantic, not the Pacific, this time. A routine National Weather Service test on Tuesday resulted in a false push notification to mobile phones about a tsunami warning, giving a jolt to many residents on the East Coast...
Dec 24, 2017 2:35 PM CST
White Christmas Expected in These Regions
NWS advises to approach holiday travel with caution
- If you live in the Northeast or Midwest, you're not dreaming: It's going to be a white Christmas. But the trade-off is hazardous driving conditions across New England and the Great Plains, the AP reports. The National Weather Service (NWS) tweeted a list of emergency supplies to have...
Eyes Turn to
Sep 12, 2017 7:03 AM CDT
Eyes Turn to Difficult-to-Predict Hurricane Jose
One model gives it a 25% chance of hitting US next week
- Those already battered by one or two hurricanes don't want to hear that misfortune comes in threes. Following in the wake of Harvey and Irma late Monday, Hurricane Jose was a Category 1 storm near the southeast tip of the Bahamas, centered about 400 miles north-northeast of Turks and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.