Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Tesla's New Showroom Is
Subject of Much Consternation
Jan 4, 2022 8:08 AM CST
Tesla's New Showroom Is Subject of Much Consternation
American activists want the Xinjiang location closed immediately
- American activists are appealing to Tesla to close a new showroom in China’s northwestern region of Xinjiang, where officials are accused of abuses against mostly Muslim ethnic minorities. China is one of Tesla's biggest markets, and the company on Friday announced the opening of its showroom in Urumqi,...
Harris' Staff Goes
to Work After Her
Answer on Israel
Oct 1, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Harris' Staff Goes to Work After Her Answer on Israel
Vice president didn't contest student's claim about ethnic genocide
- Vice President Kamala Harris had a chance to argue the point made by a college student who asked her about "ethnic genocide" supposedly committed by Israel. But she didn't. That's got her staff scrambling now to reassure allies that her support for Israel remains "consistent and...
Aug 23, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Ex-President of Bolivia Recovering After Apparent Suicide Attempt
Jeanine Anez, charged with 'genocide,' in stable condition after apparently cutting her arms
- On Friday, Bolivian prosecutors charged Jeanine Anez—the former president of Bolivia, already in detention after being accused in March of leading a coup against another ex-Bolivian president, Evo Morales—with "genocide." Police are now saying the 54-year-old Anez tried to kill herself over the weekend in jail....
Jun 8, 2021 1:11 PM CDT
'Butcher of Bosnia' Loses His Genocide Appeal
Ratko Mladic is revered by Serbs, villainized by Bosniaks
- Ratko Mladic, the military chief known as the "Butcher of Bosnia" for orchestrating genocide, crimes against humanity, and war crimes in the Balkan nation's 1992-95 war, lost his final legal battle Tuesday when UN judges affirmed his life sentence, the AP reports. The rejection of Mladic's appeals...
Germany Admits Colonial-Era
Genocide in Namibia
May 28, 2021 2:27 AM CDT
Germany Admits Colonial-Era Genocide in Namibia
Country will fund $1.3B in development projects
- Germany has reached an agreement with Namibia that will see it officially recognize as genocide the colonial-era killings of tens of thousands of people and commit to spending a total of $1.3 billion, largely on development projects. The accord announced Friday is the result of more than five years...
Biden Formally Recognizes
Apr 24, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Biden Formally Recognizes Armenian Genocide
No previous president has used the term for mass killings under Ottoman Empire
- President Joe Biden has formally recognized that the systematic killings and deportations of hundreds of thousands of Armenians by Ottoman Empire forces in the early 20th century were "genocide"—using a term for the atrocities that his White House predecessors have avoided for decades over concerns of alienating...
Residents of 'Space Island'
Tell Elon Musk to Stay Away
Mar 10, 2021 10:20 AM CST
Residents of 'Space Island' Tell Elon Musk to Stay Away
Biak Island elder says supporting Indonesian spaceport would mean 'sponsoring' genocide
- Residents of a small island in Indonesia aren't too pleased to learn that their government has offered up their land to SpaceX boss Elon Musk. Indonesia President Joko Widodo has been encouraging Musk to build a rocket launch site in his country for months, per AFP . Biak's location,...
Open Letter Asks
Feb 3, 2021 2:56 PM CST
Open Letter Asks Governments to Boycott 2022 Olympics
180 groups call for boycott over human rights abuses
- A coalition of 180 rights group on Wednesday called for a boycott of next year's Beijing Winter Olympics tied to reported human rights abuses against ethnic minorities in China, reports the AP . The games are to open in one year, on Feb. 4, 2022, and are set to go...
Presidential Medal of Freedom
Recipient Faces Terror Charges
Aug 31, 2020 12:10 PM CDT
Presidential Medal of Freedom Recipient Faces Terror Charges
Paul Rusesabagina, depicted as hero in 'Hotel Rwanda,' is in custody in Kigali
- In the 2004 film
, Paul Rusesabagina was depicted as a hero who saved more than 1,200 lives during the 1994 Rwandan genocide at the hotel he managed in Kigali. George W. Bush even presented him with the US Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005 for his humanitarian...
One of the World's 'Most
Wanted' Gets Arrested
May 16, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
One of the World's 'Most Wanted' Gets Arrested
Felicien Kabuga has been accused of equipping militias in the 1994 Rwandan genocide
- One of the most wanted fugitives in Rwanda’s 1994 genocide, a wealthy businessman accused of supplying machetes to killers and broadcasting propaganda urging mass slaughter, has been arrested outside Paris, the AP reports. Felicien Kabuga, who had a $5 million bounty on his head, had been accused of equipping...
Surprise Deal Is Bad News
for a Brutal Former Dictator
Feb 11, 2020 10:40 AM CST
Surprise Deal Is Bad News for a Brutal Former Dictator
Omar al-Bashir of Sudan may be handed over to a world court to face war crimes charges
- A surprise development in Africa means an autocrat who ruled for decades might be handed over to a world court to face war crimes charges. Coverage:
Omar al-Bashir, 76, ruled Sudan from 1989 until his ouster last year , and he did so with an "iron fist," per
From World Court, a 'Triumph
of International Justice'
Jan 23, 2020 8:37 AM CST
From World Court, a 'Triumph of International Justice'
International Court of Justice orders Myanmar to protect the Rohingya
- It's only the first step to address a lawsuit filed by Gambia accusing Myanmar of genocide, but an International Court of Justice decision this week is being applauded by the former as "a triumph of international justice." Per Reuters , a 17-member panel from the court at the...
Perfect, but No
Dec 11, 2019 9:40 AM CST
Suu Kyi: We Weren't Perfect, but No 'Genocidal Intent'
Myanmar leader describes Rohingya exodus as 'tragic'
- Once touted as a human rights champion, Aung San Suu Kyi defended Myanmar against a claim of genocide on Wednesday, arguing the exodus of 700,000 Muslim Rohingya was an unfortunate consequence of a legitimate response to terrorist violence. Myanmar's security forces launched "counter-insurgency operations" following attacks by...
Nobel Winner in Court,
Accused of Genocide
Dec 10, 2019 10:00 AM CST
Nobel Winner in Court, Accused of Genocide
Aung San Suu Kyi is defending her country, Myanmar, at the Hague
- A genocide hearing got underway at the Hague Tuesday, and it's prompting news outlets such as the BBC ,
, and the
to use the same phrase: "fall from grace." The reference is to Aung San Suu Kyi, who once won the Nobel Peace Prize and...
for a Genocide
Case. A Big Name
Leads the Way
Nov 21, 2019 7:59 AM CST
Myanmar Readies for a Genocide Case. A Big Name Leads the Way
Country leader Aung San Suu Kyi will head legal team in Rohingya case
- Myanmar said Wednesday its leader Aung San Suu Kyi will head the legal team contesting a genocide case filed against it in the International Court of Justice over the crackdown on Rohingya Muslims two years ago that set off their exodus to Bangladesh. Myanmar’s military has been accused of...
Gambia's Big Move Against
Myanmar a 'Clear Message'
Nov 11, 2019 7:43 AM CST
Gambia's Big Move Against Myanmar a 'Clear Message'
Nation files case at ICJ to 'stop Myanmar's genocidal conduct' against Rohingya Muslims
- Gambia filed a case Monday at the United Nations' highest court accusing Myanmar of genocide in its campaign against its Rohingya Muslim minority and asking the International Court of Justice to urgently order measures "to stop Myanmar's genocidal conduct immediately." Gambia filed the case on behalf of...
Is on About
Jun 5, 2019 7:11 PM CDT
The Debate Is on About 'Genocide'
What word describes it?
- A national inquiry in Canada found that its policies were tantamount to "genocide" against Indigenous women and girls, who have suffered violence for decades. Now, the debate is on. "The men who killed Indigenous women were not
set on destroying a group," writes Erna Paris...
Girl, 14, Got Oregon to
Pass a Holocaust Bill
May 29, 2019 11:34 AM CDT
Girl, 14, Got Oregon to Pass a Holocaust Bill
Along with her dear friend, a 92-year-old Holocaust survivor
- When Claire Sarnowski, as a fourth grader, met Holocaust survivor Alter Wiener at one of his talks, no one could have predicted that their friendship would end up changing the law in Oregon. But it looks like that's exactly what's about to happen: Thanks to work done by...
800K People Died in 100 Days.
Now, 100 Days of Mourning
Apr 8, 2019 12:01 AM CDT
800K People Died in 100 Days. Now, 100 Days of Mourning
Rwanda marks the beginning of the 1994 genocide
- "In 1994, there was no hope, only darkness," Rwanda's President Paul Kagame said Sunday as he lit a flame at a genocide memorial in the country's capital. "Today, light radiates from this place." Kagame was speaking at an event launching 100 days of mourning...
From Bad to Worse
for 'Butcher of Bosnia'
Mar 20, 2019 12:13 PM CDT
From Bad to Worse for 'Butcher of Bosnia'
Radovan Karadzic's sentence for genocide, war crimes increased on appeal
- The "Butcher of Bosnia" might be kicking himself over his go at an appeal. UN appeals judges on Wednesday upheld the convictions of former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic for genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity, and increased his sentence from 40 years to life imprisonment, reports the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cruise Cancels at Sea, Stranding Passengers
Trump Mocks Biden in Speech at Arizona Rally
Bob Saget Widow Breaks Silence After Star's Death
University President Fired For 'Inappropriate Relationship'
Transportation CEO Steps In Front of Train to His Death
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.