Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Google Doesn't Have All
the Answers, Pope Says
Nov 5, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Google Doesn't Have All the Answers, Pope Says
Francis counsels young people after Mass for 30K in Bahrain
- Pope Francis shifted gears Saturday in his visit to Bahrain to minister to the Gulf's Catholic community, presiding over a huge open-air Mass and then meeting with young people to give them a bit of fatherly advice: Don't just Google your questions about life decisions, he told them....
Cops: Man Said
Cut Their Line
Oct 22, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Cops: Man Said Neighbors Didn't 'Deserve Cable,' Cut Their Line
Shannon Pearson charged with hate crime after accusing pair of being undocumented immigrants
- A Wisconsin man has been arrested for a hate crime after police say he snipped his neighbors' internet cable because he erroneously thought they were undocumented immigrants and didn't "deserve cable." According to a criminal complaint cited by NBC News and WQOW , 48-year-old Shannon Pearson called the...
May Get Free Broadband
May 9, 2022 7:13 AM CDT
Low-Income Households May Get Free Broadband
White House rolling out a deal with providers
- The Biden administration said Monday that 20 internet companies—including Verizon, Comcast, and AT&T—have agreed to provide discounted service to low-income Americans. The program could effectively make tens of millions of households eligible for free service through an already existing federal subsidy, per the AP . The $1 trillion...
Amazon Outage Causes
Big Issues Across the Internet
Dec 7, 2021 5:09 PM CST
Amazon Outage Causes Big Issues Across the Internet
Amazon Web Services started having problems around 11am
- A major Amazon Web Services outage caused issues far beyond Amazon Tuesday. Problems with the cloud computing service's servers caused failures or slowdowns for large parts of the Internet, reports the Verge . Services that reported issues after the outage began around 11am Eastern included Netflix, Disney Plus, Slack, Venmo,...
Gabby Petito Media 'Frenzy'
Highlights a Disparity
Sep 21, 2021 7:54 AM CDT
Gabby Petito Media 'Frenzy' Highlights a Disparity
Some see 'missing white woman syndrome' at play
- The popular true-crime podcast Crime Junkie did something it has never done before over the weekend—it rushed out a special episode on a breaking-news story. Host Ashley Flowers explained a big part of the reason why to listeners: “In almost four years of doing this show I have...
Several Major Websites
Go Down, Briefly
Jul 22, 2021 1:16 PM CDT
Several Major Websites Go Down, Briefly
AT&T and Costco were among those affected by the blip
- If you experienced trouble getting onto any one of several major websites Thursday afternoon, you weren't alone. Major sites went down in what appeared to be a brief but widespread outage, per the AP . The websites of Airbnb, AT&T, Costco, Delta, DraftKings, and more showed error messages around...
Feds Are Giving Millions
$50 Off Their Internet Bills
May 12, 2021 4:37 PM CDT
Feds Are Giving Millions $50 Off Their Internet Bills
Emergency Broadband Benefit program was launched Wednesday
- Americans can begin applying for $50 off their monthly Internet bill on Wednesday as part of an emergency government program to keep people connected during the pandemic. The $3.2 billion Emergency Broadband Benefit program is part of the $900 billion December pandemic-relief package. The government is increasing spending on...
Pentagon Partly Explains Plan
to Manage Big Piece of Internet
Apr 27, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Pentagon Partly Explains Plan to Manage Big Piece of Internet
Global Resource Systems now runs 125M addresses
- A strange thing happened on the Internet the day President Biden was sworn in. A shadowy company residing at a shared workspace above a Florida bank announced to the world’s computer networks that it was now managing a colossal, previously idle, chunk of the Internet owned by the US...
FBI Says Suspect 'Wanted to
Kill Off 70% of the Internet'
Apr 12, 2021 6:55 PM CDT
FBI Says Suspect 'Wanted to Kill Off 70% of the Internet'
Man arrested in plot to bomb Amazon data centers
- The FBI says a man arrested in Texas believed blowing up Amazon data centers would "kill off about 70% of the Internet"—and he planned to start with one in Virginia. The agency says the suspect, 28-year-old Seth Aaron Pendley was arrested after he bought what he believed...
Low-Income Families May Get
$50 a Month for Internet
Feb 26, 2021 11:51 AM CST
Low-Income Families May Get $50 a Month for Internet
FCC approves subsidy to help close the digital divide
- With so many people working and attending school from home during the pandemic, it's become crucial that as many Americans as possible have access to high-speed internet. That's why the FCC on Thursday gave the green light to a $3.2 billion initiative that will offer eligible families...
East Coast Hit
With Internet Trouble
Jan 26, 2021 1:41 PM CST
East Coast Hit With Internet Trouble
Slowdown affects broad swath of users from DC to Boston
- Balky internet service prevented users on the East Coast from loading the software they use to learn and work on Tuesday morning. Google, Zoom, YouTube, and Slack were among the services affected, the
reports. The source of the problem was unclear, but clues pointed to Verizon, which said...
Trump: Terminate Social Media
Shield or I'll Veto Defense Bill
Dec 2, 2020 8:59 AM CST
Trump: Terminate Social Media Shield or I'll Veto Defense Bill
President goes after Section 230 again
- President Trump returned to his beef with social media companies and what he perceives as their bias against conservatives on Tuesday night. The president took to Twitter to rail against a legal protection that Twitter and other social media companies currently enjoy. He wants to see it gone—and indicated...
Brief Google Service
Outage Rattles Users
Sep 25, 2020 12:30 AM CDT
Brief Google Service Outage Rattles Users
Gmail, Classroom were down for over an hour
- Millions of people are now more reliant on Google services than ever before—and even a brief outage can cause alarm. Services including Gmail, Google Docs, and YouTube went down for around an hour for users on the East and West coasts Thursday night, Engadget reports. According to Downdetector and...
Hit-Man Site Defends
Itself: We Use Ricin
Mar 8, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Hit-Man Site Defends Itself: We Use Ricin
But a new paper says these websites are actually scams
- Want a hired killer? The site Azerbaijani Eagles will charge $5,000. Slayers Hitmen, $50,000—if you also want torture. But buyer beware: There's almost no known case of a site following through and committing the actual assassination, according to the
New York Times
. "It's a...
Corona Trusts Customers
to Know It's Not a Deadly Virus
Jan 30, 2020 6:30 PM CST
Corona Trusts Customers to Know It's Not a Deadly Virus
Google reports big increase for 'corona beer virus'
- The producer of Corona has expressed faith that its customers know the beer has nothing to do with the virus. Internet search data hints at confusion: Google Trends reports a 2,300% increase in searches for "corona beer virus" from Jan. 18 to Jan. 26, Business Insider reports. Those...
Guy Who Invented the Web
Now Has Plan to Fix it
Nov 25, 2019 12:59 PM CST
Guy Who Invented the Web Now Has Plan to Fix it
Tim Berners-Lee unveils 'Contract for the Web' for governments, businesses, and citizens
- Tim Berners-Lee is the computer scientist credited with inventing the World Wide Web, and he's worried about his baby. On Monday, Berners-Lee unveiled a plan to fix the Internet called the Contract for the Web . It's a set of nine core principles, three each for governments, companies, and...
Internet Regulation, Buh-Bye
Oct 1, 2019 1:17 PM CDT
Internet Regulation, Buh-Bye
The FCC was mostly lawful in repealing net neutrality, an appeals court rules
- Net neutrality champions suffered a major blow Tuesday—but not a total loss. A federal appeals court ruled that the FCC's decision to ditch net neutrality rules in 2017 was in fact lawful, the
reports. But the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit...
to the World's
Aug 20, 2019 7:00 PM CDT
Say Goodbye to the World's Oldest Webcam
The FogCam in San Francisco will soon be no more
- Dewy-eyed tech lovers, we're sorry: The FogCam is coming down. After 25 years, the world's oldest-known webcam will be removed from its perch at San Francisco State University campus, the
San Francisco Chronicle
reports. Jeff Schwartz and Dan Wong set it up in 1994 while studying computer science...
'Cesspool of Hate' Offline
After El Paso Shooting
Aug 5, 2019 6:51 AM CDT
'Cesspool of Hate' Offline After El Paso Shooting
Even 8chan's creator says, 'Shut the site down' after suspect apparently posted manifesto there
- A "lawless" online message board is now offline after the suspected gunman in Saturday's shooting in El Paso, Texas, apparently posted what CNN Business calls a "hate-filled screed" there before the massacre. The reason that security services provider Cloudflare yanked support for 8chan: "They have proven...
Star on Her
Past: I Was
Apr 2, 2019 7:51 AM CDT
Ex-Internet Star on Her Sensational Past: I Was an Anarchist
Ana Voog 'livestreamed' her chores and sex life, learned instead about our desire to 'overshare'
- Before Logan Paul , Shane Dawson, and even Justin Bieber, social-media stardom belonged to Ana Voog. Two decades ago, Voog launched her 24/7 anacam "livestream" (though a clunkier version, where a poor-quality image would upload via dial-up every few minutes), and millions tuned in to watch her do chores , show...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.