Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
for Surfing Canal
Aug 18, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
'Imbeciles' Pay for Surfing Canal
Venice fines pair of foreigners, takes their boards after insulting them
- A pair of foreigners who raced on motorized surfboards along the Grand Canal in Venice on Wednesday have been fined, had their boards taken, and been publicly insulted for the offense. And the Italian tourist destination isn't through with them yet,
reports; the city attorney plans to...
After UNESCO Warning,
a Big Move in Venice
Jul 14, 2021 7:23 AM CDT
After UNESCO Warning, a Big Move in Venice
Cruise ships, other large vessels will no longer be permitted to sail into city's lagoon
- Giant cruise ships filled with tourists will no longer float past St. Mark's Square, or Piazza San Marco, in Venice after Italy put the kibosh on the longtime practice to protect the lagoon in which the city sits. Starting Aug. 1, cruise liners or other large ships, including yachts,...
Cruise Ships Return
to Cheers, Protests
Jun 5, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
Cruise Ships Return to Cheers, Protests
Demonstrators thought the government was keeping liners out of Venice
- Venice hosted a cruise ship Saturday for the first time since the pandemic began, drawing celebration from port employees thrilled at the return of business and demonstrations from those concerned about the damage the large ships cause. Hundreds of people on land and in small boats, displaying "No big...
Venice Spent $8B to Prevent
What Happened Tuesday
Dec 9, 2020 7:53 AM CST
Venice Spent $8B to Prevent What Happened Tuesday
New barrier system wasn't activated because prediction was off
- St. Mark's Square in Venice was submerged on Tuesday, and an incorrect forecast may be to blame. The city has since October had an experimental system of inflatable barriers in place to prevent flooding. Thing is, the $8 billion system is activated when high tides are expected to reach...
Venice Volunteers Help Out
in a Very Fitting Way
Apr 24, 2020 1:53 PM CDT
Venice Volunteers Help Out in a Very Fitting Way
Female rowers using gondolas in famed Italian city to deliver groceries
- Volunteers are coming to the assistance of the needy all over the world in different ways, but this one has an only-in-Venice feel to it. Female volunteers are using gondolas to deliver groceries in the Italian city, reports Jezebel . They belong to a nonprofit group called Row Venice, and they'...
Hidden in Plain View,
an Ancient Sword
Mar 26, 2020 8:23 AM CDT
Hidden in Plain View, an Ancient Sword
5K-year-old blade was initially labeled as medieval sword on display at monastery
- A PhD student had a hunch that a monastery's sword, labeled as medieval, was actually much, much older. After two years of study, "it all came full circle," Italian archaeologist Vittoria Dall'Armellina, who's now completed her schooling at Venice's Ca' Foscari University, tells CNN...
Feb 23, 2020 12:00 PM CST
Nation Cancels Big Festival Over Outbreak
With 133 cases reported, Italy calls off public events
- Scrambling to contain the rapidly rising number of new coronavirus infections in Italy, the most outside Asia, authorities on Sunday stepped up measures to ban public gatherings. Venice's famed carnival events, which have drawn tens of thousands of revelers to a region that is now in the heart of...
Flooding Swamps Venice,
Including Banksy Creation
Nov 15, 2019 4:30 PM CST
Flooding Swamps Venice, Including Banksy Creation
Forecast calls for waters to recede this weekend
- A state of emergency has been declared in Venice, where basillicas, squares and Banksy artwork are underwater. The historic city is dealing with its worst flooding in more than 50 years, Sky News reports. Italy's government declared the emergency Thursday. "It hurts to see the city so damaged,...
Nov 15, 2019 6:21 AM CST
Venice Rejects Climate Change Measures, Is Immediately Flooded
Timing eerie as far-right members of Venice council reject moves to help environment
- Venice has faced extraordinary flooding this week, with the mayor blaming climate change for the super-high tides—which is why what happened in the city's regional council gathering Tuesday is making waves. CNN reports the council's chambers in Ferro Fini Palace, located on the Grand Canal, flooded for...
Venice Swamped by
Highest Tide Since 1966
Nov 13, 2019 6:32 AM CST
Venice Swamped by Highest Tide Since 1966
'These are the effects of climate change,' mayor says
- Venice is no stranger to flooding—the Italian city is made up of 118 islands in a lagoon—but what it is experiencing this week is extraordinary. Mayor Luigi Brugnaro plans to declare a state of emergency amid major flooding caused by the second-highest tide on record, the
Making Coffee at Landmark
Gets Tourists a Ticket Out
Jul 21, 2019 10:46 AM CDT
Making Coffee at Landmark Gets Tourists a Ticket Out
Venice didn't like a stove being set up at Rialto Bridge
- The picturesque Rialto Bridge in Venice seems like a lovely spot to enjoy your morning coffee. But setting up a travel stove on the bridge's steps to make it got two backpacking tourists from Berlin expelled from the city and fined $1,000, the BBC reports. A resident passing...
Cruise Ship Plows
Into Tourist Boat, Dock
Jun 2, 2019 7:14 AM CDT
Cruise Ship Plows Into Tourist Boat, Dock
Big boat in Venice fails to put the brakes on
- A towering, out-of-control cruise ship rammed into a dock and a tourist river boat on a busy Venice canal on Sunday morning. Italian media reported that at least five people were injured in the crash, reports the AP . The collision happened about 8:30am on the Giudecca Canal, a major...
Banksy: This Is Me Getting
Booted From Venice Exhibit
May 23, 2019 11:44 AM CDT
Banksy: This Is Me Getting Booted From Venice Exhibit
No permit, no Biennale display
- Banksy claims he showed up to "the largest and most prestigious art event in the world" and was abruptly kicked out. An Instagram video shared by the British street artist's account Wednesday shows a man—whose face is never seen—setting up a collage of nine oil paintings...
High Tide Floods
75% of Venice
Oct 30, 2018 12:15 AM CDT
High Tide Floods 75% of Venice
Water level is highest in at least 10 years
- Venice was inundated by an exceptional high tide Monday, putting three-quarters of the famed Italian lagoon city under water as large swaths of the rest of Italy experienced flooding and heavy winds that toppled trees and other objects, killing six people. Tourists and residents alike donned high boots to navigate...
Venice Close to Implementing
New Rule: No Sitting
Sep 22, 2018 8:40 AM CDT
Venice Close to Implementing New Rule: No Sitting
To control tourist behavior, mayor pushing for ban on sitting, except in designated areas
- We hope you're sitting down for this news, especially if you're planning a trip to Venice—because you might not be able to sit down once you get there. That's because Luigi Brugnaro, the city's mayor, wants to start fining folks if they plop themselves down...
Tourists Say They Ordered
Steaks, Water, Got $1.3K Bill
in case you missed it
Jan 27, 2018 4:59 PM CST
Tourists Say They Ordered Steaks, Water, Got $1.3K Bill
Venice mayor says he's looking into the potentially 'shameful episode'
- Four Japanese tourists were reportedly taken to the cleaners by a Venice restaurant, and now authorities are looking into the meal. ANSA reports the tourists ordered four steaks and a platter of grilled fish—no wine, just mineral water. The spot near St. Mark's Square reportedly charged them $1,...
Thieves Mix in With Crowd
After Stealing Famed Jewels
Jan 4, 2018 1:21 AM CST
Thieves Mix in With Crowd After Stealing Famed Jewels
'Incomparable' collection was on display in Venice
- Thieves stole precious Indian jewels from the famed Al Thani Collection that were on show in a Venetian palace Wednesday, making off with a brooch and a pair of earrings by mixing in with the crowd on the final day of the exhibition, police say. The stolen jewels were not...
Favorites Off Course
Oct 23, 2017 4:30 PM CDT
Runner Wins Marathon After Motorcycle Leads Favorites Off Course
The 7 runners in the lead lost around 2 minutes
- Sunday's Venice Marathon was just the second Eyob Ghebrehiwet Faniel ever ran—and yet the Eritrean-born Italian runner won the race, thanks to a wrong turn. A guide motorcycle led the pack of seven runners who were in the lead several hundred meters off course before they realized the...
Europe's Ancient Ports Have
New Infestation: Tourists
Jul 17, 2017 9:00 AM CDT
Europe's Ancient Ports Have New Infestation: Tourists
Cruise ships bring in visitors by the tens of thousands daily
- It all started with Venice. The Italian port city on the Adriatic Sea has seen its population dwindle since the 1950s as locals are forced out by what the BBC calls "hordes of cruise-ship visitors." Nowadays, the problem of cruise ship tourist invasion has spilled over to many...
What Day Job?
RBG Tries Acting
Mar 30, 2016 9:21 AM CDT
What Day Job? Supreme Court's RBG Tries Acting
Ginsburg will have a cameo in 'The Merchant of Venice'
- Art often imitates life, and that will ring true for none other than Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg this summer as she throws off her court garb and dons stage attire for her role in Shakespeare's
The Merchant of Venice
, Vox reports. The 83-year-old justice's cameo appearance...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Prosecutors Whip Out Surprise Document in Trump Org Trial
She Vanished From Her Home. A FedEx Driver Has Been Arrested
Musk's Surprise Friday Leak: 'The Twitter Files'
Parliament Nears Outlawing Adultery and Insulting President
Troops Seal Off Town, Looking for Gang Members
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.