Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judges Reveal Reasons
for Djokovic's Deportation
Jan 20, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Judges Reveal Reasons for Djokovic's Deportation
They backed idea that 'he might foster anti-vaccination sentiment'
- Amid uproar in Serbia , the three Australian judges who allowed Novak Djokovic to be deported from the country on the eve of the Australian Open are now sharing their reasoning: Essentially, they backed the idea that the presence of the top-ranked men's tennis player, unvaccinated against COVID-19, would set...
New Details Emerge in
Djokovic's Detention Case
Jan 8, 2022 6:00 AM CST
New Details Emerge in Djokovic's Detention Case
Serbian tennis star, facing deportation in Australia, had COVID last month, lawyers say in court filing
- The mystery of whether or not Novak Djokovic has actually received the coronavirus vaccine has now been cleared up, and we now also know more about his experiences with COVID. On Saturday, his lawyers submitted court documents that revealed the 34-year-old Serbian tennis star had had COVID in December and...
Jan 5, 2022 7:55 AM CST
Djokovic's Exemption in Australia Generates Fury
He got the OK to play at the Australian Open
The news that Novak Djokovic has been granted a medical exemption that will allow him to play in the Australian Open despite refusing to reveal his vaccination status has spurred outrage in the country, up to its highest ranks. NBC News reports a "visibly angry" Prime Minister Scott...
WTA Just Suspended
All Tournaments in China
Dec 1, 2021 5:28 PM CST
WTA Just Suspended All Tournaments in China
Chairman doubts Peng Shuai is being allowed to speak freely
- The Women's Tennis Association says it is unconvinced by China's efforts to show Peng Shuai is speaking freely, so it is suspending all tournaments in China with immediate effect. In a statement released Tuesday, WTA Chairman Steve Simon said he had "serious doubts" that Peng, who accused...
Peng Shuai Reappears At
Youth Tennis Event
Nov 21, 2021 5:45 AM CST
Peng Shuai Reappears At Youth Tennis Event
Chinese tennis star vanished after accusing Communist official of sexual assault
- Missing tennis star Peng Shuai reappeared in public Sunday at a youth tournament in Beijing, according to photos released by the organizer, as the ruling Communist Party tried to quell fears abroad while suppressing information in China about Peng after she accused a senior leader of sexual assault. The post...
Serena Williams: 'We Must
Not Stay Silent' on Peng Shuai
Nov 19, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Serena Williams: 'We Must Not Stay Silent' on Peng Shuai
WTA chairman weighs pulling organization out of China
- US tennis legend Serena Williams has joined the chorus of calls demanding to know #WhereIsPengShuai. "This must be investigated and we must not stay silent," Williams tweeted Thursday, adding she was "devastated and shocked" by the situation with the Chinese tennis player. "I hope she is...
WTA Chief: Email Only Raises
Concerns About Tennis Star
Nov 18, 2021 4:59 AM CST
WTA Chief: Email Only Raises Concerns About Tennis Star
He doesn't believe email in Chinese state media is really from Peng Shuai
- Tennis officials say they have serious doubts about an email purporting to be from Peng Shuai, the top Chinese player who has been out of sight since she accused a former government official of sexual assault earlier this month. The email shared by state-controlled English-language broadcaster China Global Television Network...
Stunning Runs Set Up
All-Teen US Open Final
Sep 10, 2021 3:51 AM CDT
Stunning Runs Set Up All-Teen US Open Final
Leylah Fernandez, Emma Raducanu are making tennis history
- Stunning runs from two teenagers born two months apart in 2002 have set up a historic US Open final. Canada's Leylah Fernandez, who turned 19 on Monday, beat world No. 2 Aryna Sabalenka on Thursday night,
reports. Her route to the final also involved knocking out world...
Tennis Stars Describe
'Never Ending' Abuse
Sep 7, 2021 7:31 AM CDT
Tennis Stars Describe 'Never Ending' Abuse
Americans Shelby Rogers, Sloane Stephens speak out
- It's not just Naomi Osaka who's making clear the various pressures placed on athletes at the US Open : American Shelby Rogers on Monday said she was preparing to receive "nine million death threats" on social media following her fourth-round loss to Britain's Emma Raducanu. Rogers was...
Naomi Osaka Loses Cool
—and US Open Title
Sep 4, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Naomi Osaka Loses Cool —and US Open Title
Defending champ lost to an 18-year-old ranked 73rd
- Naomi Osaka smacked her racket against Arthur Ashe Stadium’s court. Moments later, she chucked her equipment, sending it bouncing and skidding halfway to the net. Then came a full-on spike near the baseline, per the AP . Osaka’s game was off. Her composure was gone. By the end,...
Returns to Boos
Sep 2, 2021 12:39 PM CDT
Tennis Star Takes Another Long Break, Returns to Boos
Another of Stefanos Tsitsipas' opponents calls for rule change
- Stefanos Tsitsipas is sticking to his lengthy bathroom breaks, despite Andy Murray's fury . The Greek tennis star defeated France's Adrian Mannarino in four sets to reach the third round of the US Open on Wednesday, but only after leaving the court for more than seven minutes and returning...
Aug 31, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
Andy Murray Seething Over Foe's Bathroom Break
He accuses Stefanos Tsitsipas of abusing breaks after US Open loss
- Three-time Grand Slam champion Andy Murray is calling for a change to tennis rules following his first-round loss at the US Open on Monday, which he blamed on his opponent's strategic breaks. Greece's Stefanos Tsitsipas was down two sets to one when he took "an opportune medical...
Ends in Tears
Aug 17, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
Naomi Osaka Press Conference Ends in Tears
Agent slams 'bully' reporter who asked question on media relations
- Naomi Osaka faced one of her first press conferences since withdrawing from the French Open and Wimbledon on Monday and ended up walking away in tears. Ahead of a tournament in Cincinnati,
reporter Paul Daugherty virtually asked Osaka about her relationship with the media. "You're not...
Jul 19, 2021 1:33 AM CDT
Coco Gauff's Positive COVID Test Means No Olympics
It's not clear whether tennis star, 17, is vaccinated
- Teen tennis phenom Cori "Coco" Gauff will have to sit out the Tokyo Olympics after testing positive for COVID-19. Gauff, 17, said in a statement posted to Twitter on Sunday that she is "so disappointed." "It has always been a dream of mine to represent the...
Mattel's Naomi Osaka Barbie
Sells Out in Hours
Jul 13, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Mattel's Naomi Osaka Barbie Sells Out in Hours
Tennis star has a doll in her likeness
- Tennis star Naomi Osaka was one of 20 or so "Sheros"—read: female heroes—gifted a Barbie doll in their own likeness in 2019 . The public was apparently eager for a Barbie of the world's highest-paid female athlete, too, as a new doll of Osaka sold out...
Woman to Rule
Men's Final for
the First Time
Jul 10, 2021 3:50 PM CDT
Woman to Rule Men's Final for the First Time
Marija Cicak will umpire Wimbledon's Djokovic-Berrettini championship match
- There will be a female chair umpire for the Wimbledon men's singles final for the first time in the history of a tournament first played in 1877. Marija Cicak, a 43-year-old from Croatia, will officiate Sunday when Novak Djokovic faces Matteo Berrettini for the championship at the All England...
She's Australia's First
Wimbledon Champ in Decades
Jul 10, 2021 12:15 PM CDT
She's Australia's First Wimbledon Champ in Decades
Ash Barty wins the Grand Slam
- Ash Barty got off to a perfect start in the Wimbledon final by collecting the first 14 points, then needed to hold off a comeback bid before beating Karolina Pliskova 6-3, 6-7 (4), 6-3 on Saturday for her second Grand Slam title. The top-seeded Barty adds this championship to the...
Tennis Player Pulls Out of
Olympics, Cites Lack of Crowds
Jul 9, 2021 9:08 AM CDT
Tennis Player Pulls Out of Olympics, Cites Lack of Crowds
Australia's Nick Kyrgios also notes he's not in top shape
- What's an Olympics without fans? Not much to Nick Kyrgios. The Australian tennis player has pulled out of the upcoming Games following Thursday's announcement that fans will not be allowed in Tokyo due to the new coronavirus state of emergency there. "It's been my dream to...
Got to Change
Jul 8, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Naomi Osaka: Things Have Got to Change
She suggests sick days for tennis players, press conference reforms
- "In any other line of work, you would be forgiven for taking a personal day here and there." Not so in the highest ranks of tennis, as Naomi Osaka writes following her controversial exit at the French Open. In a
essay, the Japanese-born star dealing with social...
Osaka Gives Tennis,
Journalists an Opportunity
Jun 18, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Osaka Gives Tennis, Journalists an Opportunity
Star's stance could cause a reckoning, analysts say
- By announcing she'll skip Wimbledon after already withdrawing from the French Open—even as tennis officials say they're working on the issues she raised—Naomi Osaka is making a couple of things clear. She's serious about putting her mental health first, whether the tennis bosses like it...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
A Game for the Ages Sparks Call for Rule Change
Palin Tests Positive for COVID, NYT Trial Delayed
A.I. Has Changed Poker, and Maybe Killed Its 'Soul'
After Another Attack, a New Subway Warning
Female Tourist Detained After Giving Nazi Salute at Auschwitz
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.