Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Saudis Appear
to Be Betting on Trump
Oct 13, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
The Saudis Appear to Be Betting on Trump
Move to cut oil supply could be taken as a 'humiliation' for Biden ahead of midterms
- Saudi Arabia claims the decision by the Saudi-led alliance of oil-exporting countries to slash oil production , which means driving up prices and boosting Russia's coffers amid its war in Ukraine, is a purely economic move. But onlookers say there's an ulterior motive—specifically, a plan to get former...
Biden Wraps Up Mideast
Trip With a Promise
Jul 16, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Biden Wraps Up Mideast Trip With a Promise
'We will not walk away and leave a vacuum,' he told Arab leaders summit in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
- President Biden, speaking at a summit of Arab leaders, said Saturday that the United States "will not walk away" from the Middle East as he tries to ensure stability in a volatile part of the world and boost the global flow of oil to reverse rising gas prices. His...
Biden's Last Stop in the
Middle East Is His Big One
Jul 13, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Biden's Last Stop in the Middle East Is His Big One
That would be Saudi Arabia
- President Biden landed in Israel on Wednesday for his first trip to the Middle East since taking office. It's a whirlwind four-day trip: Biden is spending two days in Jerusalem for talks with Israeli leaders before meeting Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Friday in the West Bank. He then...
Biden's First Middle East Trip
Raises Some Eyebrows
Jun 14, 2022 8:43 AM CDT
Biden's First Middle East Trip Raises Some Eyebrows
President will meet with Crown Prince Mohammed in Saudi Arabia, which he once called a 'pariah'
- President Biden will make his first trip to the Middle East next month with visits to Israel, the West Bank, and Saudi Arabia, the White House announced Tuesday. The decision to pay a call on Saudi leaders during the July 13-16 trip comes after Biden as a Democratic presidential candidate...
Biden to Stick
May 20, 2021 7:00 PM CDT
With Cease-Fire, Biden to Stick With 'Quiet Diplomacy'
Aides say administration officials have been on the phone to other leaders 80 times
- President Biden has said little to the nation about the Israeli-Palestinian fighting, and he's heard about that, from people who wanted him to do or say more. With the cease-fire announced Thursday, Biden stepped to the White House microphone to praise everyone involved and to offer assurances that he'...
Unusual Heat Wave Sets
Off Chaotic Chain Reaction
Oct 10, 2020 8:30 AM CDT
Unusual Heat Wave Sets Off Chaotic Chain Reaction
Wildfires, mass evacuations, and detonating land mines in the Middle East
- Wildfires around the Middle East triggered by a heat wave hitting the region have killed two people, forced thousands of people to leave their homes, and detonated land mines along the Lebanon-Israel border, state media and officials said Saturday. The areas hit by the heat wave are Syria, Lebanon, Israel,...
A Mideast Ruler
Is Dead at 91
Sep 29, 2020 11:37 AM CDT
A Mideast Ruler Is Dead at 91
Kuwait's Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah may be succeeded by half-brother
- Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah, the ruler of Kuwait who drew on his decades as the oil-rich nation's top diplomat to push for closer ties to Iraq after the 1990 Gulf War and solutions to other regional crises, died Tuesday at the age of 91, per the AP...
Iran Shows No Mercy
to Accused Wrestler
Sep 12, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Iran Shows No Mercy to Accused Wrestler
Navid Afkari said he gave a false confession under torture
- Iranian state TV on Saturday reported that the country's authorities executed a wrestler for allegedly murdering a man, after President Trump asked for the 27-year-old condemned man's life to be spared, the AP reports. State TV quoted the chief justice of Fars province, Kazem Mousavi, as saying: "...
Jul 30, 2020 12:57 AM CDT
Baghdad Sets New Blistering Heat Record
It was 125.2 degrees on Tuesday
- Baghdad hit 125.2 degrees Tuesday, the highest temperature ever recorded for the city in Iraq. The Middle East is in the midst of a heat wave, and on Wednesday, Baghdad hit its second-highest temperature ever: 124 degrees. The previous record, set in July 2015, was 123.8, the
Iran Admits the Truth
About Burned Nuclear Site
Jul 5, 2020 4:50 PM CDT
Iran Admits the Truth About Burned Nuclear Site
Iranian officials had tried to downplay the blaze at Natanz
- Iran on Sunday confirmed that a damaged building at the underground Natanz nuclear site was a new centrifuge assembly center, the official IRNA news agency reported, per the AP . Iranian officials had previously sought to downplay the fire , which erupted early on Thursday, calling it only an "incident" that...
The 'Ring of Fire'
Jun 21, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
The 'Ring of Fire' Eclipse Looked Like This
People in the eastern hemisphere saw the sun 85% covered by the moon
- Stargazers in Africa, Asia, and parts of the Middle East looked to the skies this weekend to witness a partial solar eclipse, the AP reports. It was known as a "ring of fire" because the moon covered most, but not all, of the sun. It started at at 11:...
Country in Crisis Mode
Finally Picks a Leader
May 6, 2020 6:55 PM CDT
Country in Crisis Mode Finally Picks a Leader
In Iraq, a former spy chief is now prime minister
- Iraq's former spy chief was sworn in as prime minister by lawmakers early Thursday after weeks of tense political negotiations as the country faces a severe economic crisis spurred by plummeting oil prices and the coronavirus pandemic, the AP reports. The majority of 255 legislators attending the session approved...
Notes Pulled From
With a Twist
Apr 1, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Notes Pulled From Western Wall, With a Twist
Hazmat suits were required this time around due to coronavirus
- He stood at one of the world’s holiest sites and prayed for those who've contracted COVID-19. Then Shmuel Rabinowitz, rabbi of Jerusalem's Western Wall, watched as thousands of written prayers crammed into the crevices of stone were removed. This happens twice a year before Passover and Rosh...
Disney Gives the World
Good Coronavirus News
Mar 14, 2020 11:20 AM CDT
Disney Gives the World Good Coronavirus News
But sadly the world has its youngest coronavirus case: a newborn
- Amid all the negative COVID-19 stories, a good one from Disney:
will be available for streaming three months earlier than expected, CNN reports. New Disney CEO Bob Chapek says the movie's "powerful themes of perseverance and the importance of family" are "incredibly relevant during this...
Feb 8, 2020 3:30 PM CST
US Official: American Casualties in Afghanistan
Several US personnel were either injured or killed
- American and Afghan military personnel were fired on while conducting an operation in Afghanistan's eastern Nangarhar province, the US military said Saturday. Several US personnel were either injured or killed, but the exact number and other details were not provided, said a US official who agreed to discuss the...
Feb 2, 2020 1:20 PM CST
Bloomberg 'Just Went There' With Trump
And there's other political chatter on Sunday
- In Politico 's words, "Mike Bloomberg's campaign just went there." Facing a wave of attacks from President Trump, the Democratic candidate fired back Sunday with "pathological liar"—not an unusual retort for Dems—then dared to engage in a game of personal insults. "...
Politically Charged Nativity
Scene Appears in Bethlehem
Dec 22, 2019 3:30 PM CST
Politically Charged Nativity Scene Appears in Bethlehem
A Banksy piece is displayed at the Walled Off Hotel
- The mysterious street artist known as Banksy has displayed a politically charged Nativity scene in Bethlehem, the town revered as Jesus' birthplace, just in time for the busy Christmas season, the AP reports. The artwork, named "Scar of Bethlehem," depicts the birth of Jesus under Israel's West...
Dec 11, 2019 5:45 PM CST
Israel's Government Throws In the Towel
New elections are set for March 2
- Israel’s parliament on Wednesday dissolved after failing to meet a midnight deadline for forming a new government, triggering an an unprecedented third election in a 12-month period while giving scandal-plagued Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu a welcome break as he fights to save his political career, the AP reports. After...
Navy 'Hero' Died
Helping First Responders
Dec 7, 2019 4:00 PM CST
Navy 'Hero' Died Helping First Responders
Joshua Kaleb Watson was only 23
- Among three victims in Friday's Navy air base shooting, a name has emerged—and he's being hailed as a hero,
reports. "Joshua Kaleb Watson saved countless lives today with his own," his brother, Adam Watson, posted Friday on Facebook . "After being shot multiple...
Thousands More US Troops
Could Be Sent to Middle East
Dec 5, 2019 6:00 PM CST
Thousands More US Troops Could Be Sent to Middle East
Esper 'intends to make changes' to counter Iran, official says
- The Pentagon is considering sending several thousand additional troops to the Middle East to deter Iranian aggression, amid reports of escalating violence in Iran and continued meddling by Tehran in Iraq, Syria and other parts of the region. John Rood, defense undersecretary for policy, told senators Thursday that Defense Secretary...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
Cruise Passenger Found in Gulf Was Seconds From Death
The House Elects a New Generation of Leaders
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.