Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Bike Culture May Have
Jan 10, 2023 12:14 PM CST
Bike Culture May Have a Problem—Alcohol
In 'Bicycling,' Gloria Liu suggests the cycling world drinks too much
- A few years ago, Gloria Liu wrote a story in
magazine about how great the "post-ride beer" is in the parking lot, especially with a group of riding friends. Now comes a story in the same magazine with a different bent and a headline asking, "Does Cycling...
Philadelphia Cuts Down
Brewery's Entire Hop Crop
in case you missed it
Sep 25, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
Philadelphia Cuts Down Brewery's Entire Hop Crop
Workers mistook them for weeds
- The Philadelphia Brewing Company won't be releasing its popular Harvest From the Hood pale ale this year because overzealous city workers destroyed the crop of hops it was growing in a lot next to the brewery. Brewery co-owner Nancy Barton says the hops—fast-growing climbing plants—were being grown...
Florida Crash Is a
Tragedy for Beer Lovers
Sep 22, 2022 8:17 AM CDT
Florida Crash Is a Tragedy for Beer Lovers
Coors Light cans blanketed lanes of 1-75 after Wednesday's collision
- Four 18-wheelers crashed on a Florida highway Wednesday, turning the roadway into "a silver sea of beer cans," per the AP . A semi-truck had clipped another while changing lanes on 1-75 near Brooksville, about 30 miles north of Tampa, which forced other trucks to brake shortly after 6am....
For First Time Since 2019,
Oktoberfest Taps Its Kegs
Sep 17, 2022 8:29 AM CDT
For First Time Since 2019, Oktoberfest Taps Its Kegs
German beer fest in Munich was canceled in 2020, 2021 due to coronavirus pandemic
- The beer is flowing at Munich's world-famous Oktoberfest for the first time since 2019. With three knocks of a hammer and the traditional cry of "O'zapft is!" ("It's tapped!"), Mayor Dieter Reiter inserted the tap in the first keg at noon local...
Cheers if You're Over 40.
Not So Fast if You're Younger
Jul 15, 2022 1:54 PM CDT
Cheers if You're Over 40. Not So Fast if You're Younger
New analysis finds there's no benefit and only increased health risks for young adults who drink
- First scientists told us that young adults shouldn't drink alone ; now they're saying they shouldn't drink at all. At least, that's the conclusion of new research out of Seattle's University of Washington, which is part of the ongoing "Global Burden of Diseases" study carried...
Love Beer? This Is
the State for You
Jul 9, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Love Beer? This Is the State for You
Vermont is a 'true beer lover's paradise,' according to VinePair
- Previous evaluations from Beer Connoisseur and Groupon named California the best state in the country when it comes to beer. Not even close, according to VinePair , which finds America's "true beer lover's paradise" is just about as far from California as you can get while remaining in...
Brewery Toasts NATO Bid
May 21, 2022 1:00 PM CDT
Brewery Toasts NATO Bid
New lager from town near Finland's border with Russia offers 'a taste of security'
- A small brewery in Finland, just 30 or so miles from the Russian border, has made its feelings about the nation joining NATO clear. Just before Finland submitted its application to the security alliance, Olaf Brewing released a new lager. Its name, OTAN, plays on the Finnish "I'll...
Viral Post About $27 Airport
Beer Spurs Big Changes
May 17, 2022 8:07 AM CDT
Viral Post About $27 Airport Beer Spurs Big Changes
NYC transportation authority is cracking down on food, drink prices at area airports after complaint
- Almost $28 for a 23-ounce glass of Sam Adams summer ale? If that seems pricey, you're not the only one who thinks so. But that's how much it was on the menu at an eatery in New York City's LaGuardia Airport when Cooper Lund was waiting for...
First Brand Apology of 2022
Did Not Take Long
in case you missed it
Jan 8, 2022 7:15 AM CST
First Brand Apology of 2022 Did Not Take Long
Pabst's crude posts made fun of 'Dry January,' an alcohol-free movement to kick off the new year
- A brand is usually going to do whatever it can to sell itself—which is why one of Pabst Blue Ribbon's latest tweets simply reads "Beer"—but other recent tweets in the new year from PBR have generated backlash, and now an apology. The Daily Beast reports...
Latest Brew Is
Illegal in 15 States
Sep 20, 2021 1:47 PM CDT
Samuel Adams' Latest Brew Is Illegal in 15 States
Limited-edition Utopias is 28% ABV
- Samuel Adams has a new beer on the way, but it doesn't come in six-packs: The new batch of its limited-edition Utopias brew comes in a 25.4-ounce copper-clad decanter with a suggested retail price of $240—and it's so strong it's banned in 15 states. The...
Gold' Beer Cans
a Solid Scam:
Jun 29, 2021 8:04 AM CDT
Brewery's 'Solid Gold' Beer Cans a Solid Scam: Contest Winners
Winners of BrewDog contest say 'solid gold' beer cans allegedly worth $20K are actually gold-plated
- Poet George Arnold preferred beer to gold , but winners of a Scottish brewery's recent giveaway were led to believe they'd be getting both, and they're now torqued about what was actually delivered. The UK's Advertising Standards Authorities says it's looking into claims by those who...
In Afghanistan, German
Military Has a Beer Problem
Jun 7, 2021 8:11 AM CDT
In Afghanistan, German Military Has a Beer Problem
It finds a contractor to squirrel nearly 6K gallons of alcohol out of the country
- The German military says it has found a solution for an unusual logistics problem its troops in Afghanistan face: a glut of beer. Defense Ministry spokeswoman Christina Routsi said Monday a decision by the German commander in Afghanistan to ban the consumption of alcohol for security reasons had resulted in...
Anheuser-Busch: Free Beer
for All If Vaccination Goal Hit
Jun 2, 2021 12:12 PM CDT
Anheuser-Busch: Free Beer for All If Vaccination Goal Hit
Company offers to buy America a round
- President Biden plans to call for a "month of action" Wednesday to reach his goal of having 70% of Americans at least partially vaccinated by July 4—and Anheuser-Busch says it will sweeten the deal with a round of beers for the nation. The Budweiser maker says that as...
Vaccine Turnout Was Low,
Until the Free Beer Coupons
May 10, 2021 6:14 AM CDT
Vaccine Turnout Was Low, Until the Free Beer Coupons
It's working in the Buffalo area, anyway
- Buffalo's Erie County had been struggling to attract people to its first-dose COVID vaccine clinics of late—a grand total of one person showed up to one of them, reports Sandra Tan of the
. This weekend, though, health officials appear to have struck upon the secret formula:...
They Tried to
Age Beer on a
Sunken Ship. The
Mar 2, 2021 9:20 AM CST
They Tried to Age Beer on a Sunken Ship. The Barrels Vanished
A 'deep-water beermaking' experiment gone wrong off the coast of Argentina
- Craft beer is getting ... weird. And the weirder the better, it seems, after thieves made off with or otherwise liberated nearly 200 gallons of ale being aged in a sunken ship off Argentina. The theft took place near Mar del Plata, where three local breweries and a diving school had...
Left Massive Tip
Nov 23, 2020 11:30 AM CST
He Ordered One Beer, Left Massive Tip
Good Samaritan leaves $3K at jazz club that's closing till the spring due to COVID
- A man wandered into Cleveland's Nighttown jazz club over the weekend and ordered just one beer—a purchase that WKYC notes would usually warrant a buck or two for a tip. This customer left a whole lot more, though: $3,000, and it was no drunken mistake. In a...
Kristen Bell Found Daughters
Drinking O'Doul's in Zoom Class
Sep 16, 2020 6:25 PM CDT
Kristen Bell Found Daughters Drinking O'Doul's in Zoom Class
She says girls, 5 and 7, love nonalcoholic beer
- "I'm going to get a lot of flack for this. And let me start by saying I don't care," Kristen Bell told the Say Yes! With Carla Hall podcast Tuesday before explaining how her young daughters developed a taste for beer. Nonalcoholic beer, that is. The...
Bavaria Nixes Oktoberfest
Apr 21, 2020 6:20 PM CDT
Bavaria Nixes Oktoberfest
Public health risk will still be too high in 5 months, authorities say
- Since social distancing and Oktoberfest go together about as well as beer and milk, this year's festival in Bavaria has become the latest COVID-19 casualty. This is the first time the beerfest has been cancelled since World War II and Munich Mayor Dieter Reiter says it is a "...
She Begged for Beer While
in Quarantine. She Got It
Apr 14, 2020 6:33 AM CDT
She Begged for Beer While in Quarantine. She Got It
Coors Light sends 10 cases of brew to 93-year-old Olive Veronesi after desperate window plea
- Olive Veronesi has her brewskis. The 93-year-old Pennsylvania woman became famous over the weekend after someone took a photo of her, stuck in coronavirus quarantine, standing in front of her window and holding a can of Coors Light and a sign that read: "I NEED MORE BEER!!" The...
Tells the World:
'I NEED MORE BEER'
Apr 11, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
Woman, 93, Tells the World: 'I NEED MORE BEER'
An image of Olive Veronesi has gone viral worldwide
- A 93-year-old Pittsburgh-area woman is using the powers of the internet to keep a stock of beer while doing her part to "flatten the curve" on the coronavirus pandemic, the AP reports. Olive Veronesi posed in her window with a dry erase board that read "I NEED MORE...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Priscilla Presley Fights Trust Document
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
Crews Search for Tiny, Radioactive Capsule
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.