Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
EPA Downgrades Air Quality
in Colorado, Forcing Changes
Sep 17, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
EPA Downgrades Air Quality in Colorado, Forcing Changes
Tweaked gasoline blend will cost consumers more
- After missing a deadline last summer to improve air quality, Denver and the northern Front Range of Colorado are in for tougher federal regulations. The Environmental Protection Agency announced Friday that the areas now are classified as "severe" violators of air standards, the
reports. Refineries will have...
6 Bigwigs Found
Sep 16, 2021 8:09 AM CDT
Indonesian PM, 6 Bigwigs Found 'Negligent' on Air Pollution
Court orders Joko Widodo, 6 other top officials to improve air quality in Jakarta
- An Indonesian court ruled Thursday that President Joko Widodo and six other top officials have neglected citizens' rights to clean air and ordered them to improve the poor air quality in the current capital of Jakarta. A three-judge panel at the Central Jakarta District Court notched a victory for a...
Denver Tops Ranking
for World's Worst Air
Aug 8, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Denver Tops Ranking for World's Worst Air
Wildfires send smoke east, affecting Salt Lake City, as well
- Smoke from wildfires burning in the western US helped push Denver to the top of a global ranking this weekend—for world's worst air quality. The city edged out Johannesburg, 162-160, the
reports; on this scale, higher scores indicate worse air. The Colorado health department reported that...
Trump Administration Won't
Tighten Air Quality Standards
Dec 7, 2020 7:02 PM CST
Trump Administration Won't Tighten Air Quality Standards
EPA scientists were among the experts who wanted a change
- Despite evidence of the harmful effects of air pollution on people with COVID-19 and other respiratory illnesses, the Trump administration has decided against tightening soot standards. The Environmental Protection Agency instead will lock in limits put in place by President Obama's administration in 2012 for another five years. Experts...
Ash May Be Toxic
Sep 8, 2020 11:44 AM CDT
California's Falling Ash May Be Toxic
Because it's 2020 after all
- As if a global pandemic, record-high temperatures , a raging wildfire, and news of approaching winds weren't bad enough, Los Angeles County residents are being told to stay inside to avoid exposure to potentially toxic ash. Fine ash has been raining down on the San Gabriel Valley, as well as...
at Unexpected Sight
Apr 10, 2020 8:53 AM CDT
Amid Lockdown, Residents Gasp at Unexpected Sight
People in India say they can see Himalayas for first time in decades
- On a clear day you can see forever—or, suddenly, the Himalayas, if you're a resident of northern India. The world's biggest lockdown due to the coronavirus started in India at the end of March, and everyone staying home in the nation of 1.3 billion people seems...
Is a Big Problem
May 10, 2018 4:15 PM CDT
Thirdhand Smoke Is a Big Problem
HVAC systems carry thirdhand smoke indoors: study
- You've heard of secondhand smoke, but thirdhand smoke needs to be on your radar, too. "Just because you're in a nonsmoking environment, it doesn't mean you aren't exposed to tobacco," says Peter DeCarlo of Drexel University, whose study was published Wednesday in
This Is What the Air in
India's Capital Looks Like
Nov 7, 2017 7:52 AM CST
This Is What the Air in India's Capital Looks Like
Air pollution hit 'severe' level on air quality index in New Delhi
- Over the past two years, New Delhi has earned the dubious distinction of being one of the world's most polluted cities, and that reputation doesn't seem to be changing. A thick gray haze enveloped India's capital on Tuesday as air pollution hit hazardous levels, prompting local officials...
UK Unveils Big Move in
Quest for Cleaner Air
Jul 26, 2017 10:15 AM CDT
UK Unveils Big Move in Quest for Cleaner Air
It plans to ban new gas, diesel cars by 2040
- Just weeks after France unveiled a plan to ban sales of gas and diesel cars by 2040, its neighbor to the north is following suit. Britain's government on Wednesday unveiled a nearly $4 billion plan to improve air quality that would see sales of new gas and diesel cars...
a Smog Report
Aug 7, 2016 11:59 AM CDT
At London Bus Stops, a Smog Report
City rolls out air-quality alerts on signs at 2.5K stops
- Londoners will soon be able to get air quality reports when they check whether their bus is about to arrive, reports the AP . Mayor Sadiq Khan has ordered that 2,500 bus stop information signs display air quality alerts on high pollution days. Some 140 dot-matrix message boards on roads...
How Office Air
Makes You Dumber
Nov 2, 2015 8:00 PM CST
How Office Air Makes You Dumber
Poor ventilation is among the problems, study says
- Yeah, that air you're breathing at the office? It's likely diminishing your brain power by more than half unless it's kept environmentally clean, according to a new study . Researchers came to this conclusion by placing 24 professionals—including engineers, designers, and architects—in a specialized office for...
in Your Gym
Nov 7, 2014 11:40 AM CST
Air Quality in Your Gym Might Spoil Workout
Study finds generally high levels of pollutants
- You might want to start your next workout at the gym with a sniff test. A new study suggests that gyms have high levels of air pollutants such as formaldehyde, airborne dust, and carbon dioxide, reports the
New York Times
. In fact, levels for those three substances generally exceeded accepted...
Beijing's Air Quality:
On Scale of 500,
Jan 13, 2013 11:35 AM CST
Beijing's Air Quality: On Scale of 500, It's 755
Pollution index sails way past 'hazardous'
- If experiencing Tehran's dismal air pollution is "suicidal," Beijing residents might want to dig a bunker and stay there. The Chinese capital, which wrinkled noses a couple of years ago when it managed to break the very index meant to measure its air quality, yesterday blew right...
Swoops In to
Oct 8, 2012 4:56 AM CDT
Jerry Brown Swoops In to Cut California Gas Prices
Looks to increase supply with emergency move
- With gas prices soaring in California—at an average of $4.655 yesterday compared to $3.814 nationally—Gov. Jerry Brown is entering the fray, aiming to bring cheaper winter-blend gasoline to the state early. He has ordered the California Air Resources Board to allow the sale and import of...
China Demands US Stop Tweeting About Its Air
Jun 5, 2012 2:50 PM CDT
China Demands US Stop Tweeting About Its Air
They complain US standards unfair, and data may not be 'rigorous'
- China isn't just happy censoring its own tweets anymore. China told foreign embassies today to stop publishing their own reports on air quality in the country, escalating its objections to a popular US Embassy Twitter feed that tracks pollution in smoggy Beijing. Only the Chinese government is authorized to...
China's Air Quality Data
Jan 22, 2012 6:39 AM CST
China's Air Quality Data Suspiciously Sunny
Expert calls new data 'surprising'
- The Chinese government, under fire from its citizens about its unbelievably upbeat pollution reports , has started to release more detailed data about smog in Beijing, reports the AP . For the first time, Beijing's official weather website yesterday included readings about PM2.5, or particulate matter less than 2.5...
Cynical Chinese Taking
Own Smog Readings
Dec 8, 2011 2:00 AM CST
Cynical Chinese Taking Own Smog Readings
Rail against government's 'fog' label
- The Chinese know smog when they see it—even when the government calls it "fog." So Beijing citizens are taking their own pollution readings. "If people know what their air is like, they are more likely to take action," said a researcher at an environmental group...
New Smog Rules
Sep 2, 2011 11:28 AM CDT
Obama Dumps New Smog Rules
He says standard will change anyway in 2013
- Barack Obama handed the business community a surprise win today by asking the Environmental Protection Agency to scrap new smog standards that would force state and local government to improve air quality or risk losing federal funds, the
reports. "Work is already underway to update … the...
Arizona Warns of Air Quality
as Wildfire Spreads
Jun 11, 2011 5:11 PM CDT
Arizona Warns of Air Quality as Wildfire Spreads
Massive blaze is in New Mexico now, too
- An eye-stinging, throat-burning haze of smoke spewing from a gigantic wildfire in eastern Arizona is beginning to stretch as far east as central New Mexico, prompting health officials to warn residents as far away as Albuquerque about potential respiratory hazards. The 672-square-mile blaze was no longer just an Arizona problem...
Turns Beijing Sky Orange
Mar 20, 2010 6:01 AM CDT
Huge Sandstorm Turns Beijing Sky Orange
Storms have jumped sixfold in 50 years due to deforestation
- China's capital woke up to orange-tinted skies today as the strongest sandstorm so far this year hit the country's north, delaying some flights at Beijing's airport and prompting a dust warning for Seoul. The sky glowed and a thin dusting of sand covered Beijing, causing workers to muffle their faces...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
Some Think Twice About Wearing a Wetsuit in SF
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.