Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Alleged Drunk Boater
Indicted on Homicide Charges
Aug 18, 2022 4:46 AM CDT
Alleged Drunk Boater Indicted on Homicide Charges
5 died in Memorial Day crash in Georgia
: A Georgia man who was allegedly boating under the influence of alcohol on Memorial Day has been indicted on 10 counts of first-degree homicide by vessel—two for each of the five people who died in a collision. Mark Stegall, 45, is also charged with boating under the influence...
Sole Survivor of Capsized Boat
Describes the Drownings
Feb 1, 2022 6:39 PM CST
Sole Survivor of Capsized Boat Describes the Drownings
As he went to help his sister, 'people were grabbing her ... that’s why she drowned'
- The sole survivor of a capsized boat found near Florida’s coast says at least 15 other migrants tried to cling to the overturned vessel but couldn't hold on, some desperately tired and hungry when they let go. Juan Esteban Montoya Caicedo, of Colombia, told a Spanish-language news conference...
Texas Party Boat Flips,
One Person Killed
Aug 15, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Texas Party Boat Flips, One Person Killed
Thunderstorm turned 90-minute party cruise into a tragedy
- A boat flipped onto its side in a thunderstorm, and one person is dead. The boat was 40 minutes into a 90-minute party cruise Saturday in Lake Conroe near Houston when a thunderstorm hit, and the boat capsized in choppy water, KPRC reports. There were 53 people aboard, authorities from...
4th Body Found in NC River,
1 Victim Still Missing
Jun 20, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
4th Body Found in NC River, 1 Victim Still Missing
A family floating party turned tragic on Wednesday
- A fourth person has been found dead after a family accidentally floated over a dam in a North Carolina river. A group of nine people were floating on inflatable tubes together on Wednesday night, but the group split up somehow, and some of them went over an 8-foot dam near...
Legal Family Hit
by 3 Stunning Losses
Jun 15, 2021 11:10 AM CDT
Prominent SC Legal Family Hit by 3 Stunning Losses
Paul Murdaugh, 22, and mom Margaret were shot to death; Randolph Murdaugh, 81, died days later
- Three members of a prominent South Carolina legal family have died within the last week or so, including two who were brutally killed. For almost 100 years, members from three generations of the Murdaugh family operated in the role of top prosecutor of the Lowcountry region. Then a 22-year-old man...
Teen in Coma After
'Headbutt' From a Whale
Jun 9, 2021 11:36 AM CDT
Teen in Coma After 'Headbutt' From a Whale
Family describes freak accident off Australia's east coast
- They were, in a word, unlucky. A young Aussie fisherman is fighting for his life, and another is recovering from a concussion after a breaching whale fell on their boat Sunday. "They had no warning, and no time to react," family members say in a statement, per CNN...
Packed Boat Capsizes Off
San Diego; 3 Dead
May 2, 2021 5:52 PM CDT
Packed Boat Capsizes Off San Diego; 3 Dead
Officials suspect human smuggling; more than 2 dozen are hospitalized
- Three people died and more than two dozen were hospitalized when a boat capsized near San Diego. Officials say they suspect the boat was smuggling people into the US, the
San Diego Union-Tribune
reports. Parks workers saw people in the water off the coast of Point Loma near the Cabrillo...
'Wake Low' Hit,
Pulled La. Boat Under
Apr 14, 2021 6:58 AM CDT
'Wake Low' Hit, Pulled La. Boat Under
Rescue operation underway after boat capsizes off of La.; 6 rescued so far, at least a dozen missing
- A search and rescue operation is underway for at least a dozen people off the coast of Louisiana after a 129-foot boat capsized during a "really powerful" weather event. Officials say six survivors have been plucked from the water so far after the vessel left from Port Fourchon on...
Boats Sink at 'Trump Parade'
Sep 5, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Boats Sink at 'Trump Parade'
Over 2.6K people planned to attend the Texas event
- A "Trump Boat Parade" ran into a little trouble Saturday when several boats sent out distress calls and some actually sank, CBS Austin reports. The event on Lake Travis in Austin, Texas, was going well until boats along the parade route sent out calls for help. "TCSO responded...
NTSB Lays Fault in
Deadly Duck Boat Sinking
Apr 29, 2020 12:33 PM CDT
NTSB Lays Fault in Deadly Duck Boat Sinking
Weather warning wasn't relayed to Ride the Ducks captain
- The 2018 sinking of a duck boat in southwest Missouri that resulted in the deaths of 17 people could've been avoided had closer attention been paid to the weather . That's the takeaway from a summary of the National Transportation Safety Board's final report on the accident on...
Survivor of Boat Sinking:
'It Happened Really Fast'
Jan 3, 2020 12:05 PM CST
Survivor of Boat Sinking: 'It Happened Really Fast'
Dean Gribble, one other crew member made it off the Scandies Rose; 5 are presumed dead
- Loved ones who spoke with crew members on the Scandies Rose crabbing boat shortly before it sank on New Year's Eve in the Gulf of Alaska, leaving two survivors and five missing and feared dead, say they didn't realize just how dire the situation was. Jeri Lynn Smith...
Wealthy Dad Charged
After 11-Year-Old Son
Dies in Boat Accident
Sep 17, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
Wealthy Dad Charged After 11-Year-Old Son Dies in Boat Accident
Javier Burillo, member of one of Mexico's richest families, hit with manslaughter charges
- A family outing on San Francisco Bay ended in tragedy Sunday, leaving an 11-year-old boy dead and his dad, a luxury property developer and member of one of the most affluent families in Mexico, charged in his death. "We're all heartsick about it. The community is shocked,"...
3 Ferries Capsize,
With Multiple Casualties
Aug 3, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
3 Ferries Capsize, With Multiple Casualties
Boats overturn in bad weather in the Philippines; dozens rescued
- Multiple people died and dozens others were rescued when three ferry boats separately capsized in bad weather Saturday between two central Philippine island provinces, the coast guard said. Coast guard spokesman Armand Balilo said it's not immediately clear if there were passengers or crewmen missing after the inter-island ferries...
Cops: Fourth of July
Boat Crash Was Murder
Jul 30, 2019 12:39 PM CDT
Cops: Fourth of July Boat Crash Was Murder
41-year-old had been drinking ahead of collision in Alabama: cops
- Authorities have arrested a man on charges of murder and boating under the influence following a Fourth of July collision on an Alabama lake that killed two people. Alabama Law Enforcement Agency Marine Patrol troopers on Monday announced the arrest of 41-year-old Damien Bruno of Clanton, per the AP . Authorities...
They Were Enjoying July 4
on the Water. Then, Tragedy
Jul 6, 2019 8:30 AM CDT
They Were Enjoying July 4 on the Water. Then, Tragedy
12-year-old girl dead, 3 missing, 7 injured in 2 separate boating accidents in Alabama
- Divers and crews using underwater sonar devices searched Friday for three people who went missing on two Alabama lakes after a pair of holiday boating accidents, and authorities later confirmed one person was dead, in addition to several injured. Both happened after dark on July 4 on large reservoirs that...
It Wasn't Good Fishing
Weather. The Boat
Went Out Anyway
Jul 4, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
It Wasn't Good Fishing Weather. The Boat Went Out Anyway
Now 27 are dead, 9 are missing after fishing boat capsizes, sinks off coast of Honduras
- At least 27 fishermen died after a fishing vessel capsized and sank during bad weather Wednesday in the Caribbean off Honduras' northern coast, the Central American country's military says. The AP reports that nine people are missing and 55 others have been rescued. Jose Domingo Meza, a spokesman for...
Texas Police Chief's Body
Found After 2-Day Search
Jun 9, 2019 2:04 PM CDT
Texas Police Chief's Body Found After 2-Day Search
Chris Reed apparently fell out of a boat while fishing
- All he did was go fishing with his wife—but Chris Reed, a Texas police chief, fell out of the boat and never recovered. His body was found Sunday after a two-day search in Galveston Bay that involved about 40 vessels and over a dozen federal, state, and local agencies,...
The Ferry Capsized. But
Someone Was Alive Inside
Feb 10, 2019 11:45 AM CST
The Ferry Capsized. But Someone Was Alive Inside
Engineer Augustine Charahani struggled for survival
- Ferry, upside-down. Engine room, flooding. Air pocket, shrinking. But engineer Augustine Charahani found the peace of mind to curl up on a flight of stairs and wait over 40 hours in the hope rescuers would find him, the
New York Times
reports. His ordeal began Sept. 20 in Lake Victoria,...
Duck-Boat Tragedy Video:
Trip Went From Calm to Frantic
Jul 28, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
Duck-Boat Tragedy Video: Trip Went From Calm to Frantic
NTSB releases a preliminary timeline of what happened
- Now, the video. Federal officials have reviewed footage from the sunken Missouri duck boat to see how events unfolded and compare the launch time to severe-weather warnings for the area, the
Kansas City Star
reports. Per the National Transportation Safety Board, the trip went from leisurely to frantic within minutes...
Teen Girl Says Duck-Boat
Captain Was 'Freaking Out'
Jul 22, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
Teen Girl Says Duck-Boat Captain Was 'Freaking Out'
And a private inspector says he warned the company about risks
- A teenager on the Missouri duck boat was apparently "freaking out" when it sank because the captain was doing the same. "She's sad—very sad," Mandi Keller of Texas says about her 15-year-old daughter Gillian, per the
Kansas City Star
. Gillian was with her father on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
Germany Uncovers Alleged Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
Iranian Patrol Boat Tries to Temporarily Blind US Navy Ships
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.