Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In DC, Crackdown on Car
Crimes Comes With AirTags
Nov 20, 2023 12:05 PM CST
In DC, Crackdown on Car Crimes Comes With AirTags
Police in capital teach drivers how to install tracking devices as part of multipronged crime initiative
- Jeff Pena contacted his father as soon as he heard that police in Washington, DC, were passing out auto tracking devices to try to stem a sharp increase in carjackings, auto thefts, and other crimes in the nation's capital. "It's just getting crazy out there," says...
One of These 'Mannequins'
Is Not Like the Others
Oct 19, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
One of These 'Mannequins' Is Not Like the Others
Warsaw police nab alleged thief who robbed shopping mall after posing as dummy
- Polish cops say they've nabbed an alleged thief who stayed late at shopping malls, at one point concealing himself as a mannequin in a store window. Authorities released a photo of the unnamed 22-year-old standing still, with an outstretched arm holding a shopping bag, in front of a row...
It's Prison for Thief Who
Cleaned Out Coin Machines
Jun 30, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
It's Prison for Thief Who Cleaned Out Coin Machines
'This was not pocket change,' prosecutors say
- A thief who posed as an employee of a coin-cashing company sent to tend to the machines, only to break into them and take the coin vaults with him, was sentenced Thursday to four years in prison. The US attorney's office for Oregon said Richard Pena repeated the scam...
He Died Chasing
Men Who Stole
Now, a Verdict
Nov 11, 2021 9:25 AM CST
He Died Chasing Men Who Stole His Laptop. Now, a Verdict
2 convicted on murder, manslaughter charges after 2019 Starbucks robbery led to death of Shuo Zeng
Two men have been convicted in a 2019 laptop robbery at a Bay Area Starbucks that left a research engineer dead. The
reports a jury on Wednesday found 24-year-old Byron Reed guilty of second-degree murder, and 20-year-old Kejuan Wiggins guilty of voluntary manslaughter, in the Dec. 31,...
The Publishing World
Has Been Battling a
Truly Bizarre Thief
Aug 21, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
The Publishing World Has Been Battling a Truly Bizarre Thief
Someone has been working to access manuscripts for years, but not for profit
- Reeves Wiedeman has spent years trying to unravel a literary-world mystery, and his lengthy recap of his digging for
New York Magazine
is confounding at times. As is the mystery. In simplest terms, for the past four years someone has been using somewhat sophisticated measures to try to steal book...
He Could've Called
the Cops After
She Stole His Dog.
Jul 12, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
He Could've Called the Cops After She Stole His Dog. Instead, Rehab
Canadian man arranged for drug addict to be placed in rehab after she swiped Chinese shar-pei
- Last month, Brayden Morton put up a frantic message on Facebook. "Please share and help me," he pleaded in a June 18 post . "A blue older model Ford truck just pulled up behind my house and took Darla." Darla is Morton's 3-year-old Chinese shar-pei, and...
He Had a Winning
Was One Problem
Aug 21, 2020 7:58 AM CDT
He Had a Winning Scratch-Off. There Was One Problem
Police in Clearwater, Fla., say Herbert McClellan stole the lottery ticket before trying to cash it in
- "So much for being lucky at the lottery." That's how the Clearwater Police Department in Florida is describing the unfortunate plight of 27-year-old Herbert McClellan, who's accused of swiping more than a dozen scratch-off lottery tickets from a local Speedway, then trying to cash in a...
Jun 8, 2020 10:55 AM CDT
Cops: Thief Left Behind Unexpected Clue
His young son, leading police in Germany to make an easy arrest
- Police in Germany say they had an easy time tracking down a petty thief—he forgot his own son at the scene of the crime. Bautzen police said the 29-year-old suspect ran off when the $5.65 worth of goods he was trying to steal triggered an alarm at a...
Wanted: This Guy, and
'No, We Are Not Kidding'
Dec 18, 2019 8:07 AM CST
Wanted: This Guy, and 'No, We Are Not Kidding'
California thief made off with $500 from artist, but not his own caricature
- A caricature out of California either shows the most confident thief ever, or a very stupid one. Police in Riverside are asking anyone who recognizes the caricature to reach out—"and no, we are not kidding"—after the man pictured robbed the artist of $500 in cash. The...
at Note Porch Thief Left
Dec 16, 2019 8:18 AM CST
Homeowner 'Flabbergasted' at Note Porch Thief Left
Hilary Smith 'angry and confused' after Christmas gift swiped off her porch came with 'thank you' letter
- What CNN calls a "real-life Grinch" has struck in St. Paul, Minn., leaving a homeowner "quite flabbergasted" and local police proclaiming "bah humbug." WCCO and the
report that Hilary Smith ordered a Christmas gift for her boss via Amazon, and it arrived Wednesday, in...
Thief's Patience Is
Worth $13K in Jewelry
Oct 19, 2019 2:25 PM CDT
Thief's Patience Is Worth $13K in Jewelry
Atlanta-area authorities are asking for people's help
- A patient thief managed to make off with $13,000 in jewelry from a Costco after it closed, Fox 5 Atlanta reports. Investigators say the man cased the Atlanta-area store Oct 10, came back a few hours later, hid behind a display by the front wall, and waited there for...
Thief Strolls Out of Gallery
With $20K Dali Etching
Oct 15, 2019 8:22 AM CDT
Thief Strolls Out of Gallery With $20K Dali Etching
Employee at San Francisco's Dennis Rae Fine Art says it happened in a flash
- No dead of night needed for this art heist: A thief sauntered into a San Francisco gallery in the middle of the afternoon, lifted a famous Salvador Dali piece worth $20,000, and walked right back out, all in just over 30 seconds, per KGO . The framed mid-'60s etching...
UK Police Hunting
Ross Geller Lookalike
Oct 24, 2018 5:33 AM CDT
UK Police Hunting Ross Geller Lookalike
Or is it Russ?
- David Schwimmer is not accused of stealing a phone, wallet, and jacket from an English restaurant on Sept. 20, but that is the case for someone who looks an awful lot like him. Blackpool Police are on the lookout for a thief , spotted on CCTV footage with a case of...
German Politician Caught
With His Pants Down—Literally
Jun 6, 2018 11:50 AM CDT
German Politician Caught With His Pants Down—Literally
Alexander Gauland's clothes stolen during swim
- A far-right politician in Germany is battling some unfavorable press related to two incidents in a week, one rather comical, the other not at all. Alexander Gauland, 77, first drew censure over the weekend for comments addressed to the youth division of the Alternative for Germany party, the country's...
Teen Turned in by Mom After
Stealing From Blind Man
May 20, 2018 5:00 PM CDT
Teen Turned in by Mom After Stealing From Blind Man
The teen posed as an NYPD officer on the subway
- A wily 14-year-old boy who posed as a New York City police officer while snatching a legally blind man's wallet in a Manhattan subway station on pretense of helping him was arrested on Sunday. Per the AP , his mother turned the baby-faced youth in to police nearly a week...
Cops Finally Catch
'Ninja' Thief, and
It's a Surprise
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 29, 2017 12:30 PM CDT
Cops Finally Catch 'Ninja' Thief, and It's a Surprise
Agile crook who eluded police for 8 years is 74 years old, say authorities in Japan
- For the better part of a decade, an agile, black-clad thief eluded police in Osaka, Japan, as he pulled off burglary after burglary. But the reign of the crook who came to be known as the "Ninja of Heisei" appears to be over, and it came with a big...
'Born Burglar' Details How He
Pulled Off Van Gogh Heist
Mar 20, 2017 8:25 AM CDT
'Born Burglar' Details How He Pulled Off Van Gogh Heist
Octave Durham spills all the details on 2002 theft in new documentary
- "I'm a born burglar," says Octave Durham, per the
New York Times
, which looks at a new documentary about Durham's notorious theft of two Vincent Van Gogh paintings. Set to be broadcast Tuesday on Dutch TV, the 45-minute special by filmmaker Vincent Verweij gets the inside...
'Granny Gem Thief' With
20 Arrests Adds Another
Dec 14, 2016 11:00 AM CST
'Granny Gem Thief' With 20 Arrests Adds Another
Doris Payne allegedly tried to steal $2K necklace in Atlanta
- Her life of crime has involved more than 20 arrests on two continents over six decades—and, apparently, Doris Payne isn't done. The 86-year-old woman, dubbed the "granny gem thief," was arrested Tuesday at a mall in an Atlanta suburb where she's accused of trying to...
'Bathroom Bandit' Steals
One Thing—And It's Weird
May 8, 2016 2:15 PM CDT
'Bathroom Bandit' Steals One Thing—And It's Weird
Police in Columbus, Ohio, are looking for him
- Police in Ohio's capital are searching for a man who's been pilfering plumbing from stores, hospitals, and restaurants. Dubbed the Bathroom Bandit, Columbus police say he enters various local establishments, visits the men's restroom, disconnects the plumbing, and leaves with the stolen parts in his backpack. A...
Texas Cops Go on
High-Speed Food Fight
Apr 21, 2016 9:53 AM CDT
Texas Cops Go on High-Speed Food Fight
Thief pelted officer's car with steaks: police
- What a waste of perfectly good beef. Authorities in Longview, Texas, say they tried to pull over a suspect accused of stealing steaks from a local Walmart on Wednesday, but the man kept on trucking, hitting speeds of 100mph as he fled through two counties, per the
New York Daily
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.