Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Millennials, You May Want
to Head to This State
May 25, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Millennials, You May Want to Head to This State
Washington ranks first in WalletHub's rankings for most appealing places for the 26-41 set
- Whether you call them Generation Y or millennials, the group wedged between Generation X and Generation Z—ie, those born between 1981 and 1996 —has its own particular wants and needs when looking for a place to settle down. WalletHub wanted to figure out the most appealing states for...
He Had Memorable
Kid. Now, Fitting News
May 21, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
He Had Memorable Role in
as a Kid. Now, Fitting News
Ex-child actor Jonathan Searle named police chief in Martha's Vineyard town where 1975 movie was shot
- Life is definitely imitating art on Martha's Vineyard, where a former child star in one of Steven Spielberg's biggest blockbusters ever has just accepted a stars-are-aligned job. The
reports that the town of Oak Bluffs has named as its new police chief Jonathan Searle, a longtime...
'Distressed' Lost Puppy
Wasn't Actually a Puppy
May 5, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
'Distressed' Lost Puppy Wasn't Actually a Puppy
Massachusetts family ended up bringing home a baby coyote
- A Massachusetts family that thought they'd brought home a lost, terrified puppy they found by the side of a road got quite the surprise when a local wildlife center identified what it actually was: a baby coyote. In what WMUR calls a "major mix-up," the family spotted...
After 651 Golf Balls Hit
Their Property, They
Sued the Country Club
in case you missed it
May 1, 2022 7:01 AM CDT
After 651 Golf Balls Hit Their Property, They Sued the Country Club
Massachusetts family awarded $5M
- When they bought a home next to a golf course in 2017, Massachusetts couple Erik and Athina Tenczar expected there might be some noise and possibly the occasional ball in their backyard. Instead, they faced a barrage of 651 balls over the next four years, with shots from bad golfers...
Yorkie Stolen 11 Years Ago
Reunited With Owner
Apr 30, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Yorkie Stolen 11 Years Ago Reunited With Owner
Rex, found wandering streets of Stoughton, Mass., is now back home with his long-lost family
- It was a joyful, if unlikely, meeting Wednesday in Stoughton, Mass., as a woman from the Boston suburb of Quincy was reunited with the Yorkshire terrier that had been stolen outside of her home 11 years ago. Boston 25 notes that Rex, who used to live with his owner, Marzena...
Report: Sexual Abuse Went
'Unabated' at Boston K-8 School
Apr 28, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
Report: Sexual Abuse Went 'Unabated' at Boston K-8 School
Officials recommend 'failed' Mission Hill School be closed
- Boston's Mission Hill School ignored allegations of sexual abuse and bullying for years, according to a scathing new report, which has resulted in the recommendation that the autonomous K-8 school in Jamaica Plain be permanently closed. An investigation by law firm Hinckley Allen was launched after five families claimed...
Guy Repairs Guitar for Free,
Gets Half $1M Lottery Jackpot
Apr 21, 2022 10:26 AM CDT
Guy Repairs Guitar for Free, Gets Half $1M Lottery Jackpot
After he wouldn't take payment, his friend spent the money on scratch cards
- "A good deed is its own reward," the saying goes—but for a northern Massachusetts man, a massive financial reward for helping a friend arrived within an hour. State lottery officials say Methuen guitar store owner John Galvin refused to accept payment when his friend Eric Cochrane brought...
Here Are the
10 Best States
for Remote Workers
Apr 5, 2022 4:32 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best States for Remote Workers
The Garden State tops WalletHub's list
- During the pandemic, much of America got a taste of what it's like to be a full-time telecommuter. Now that many businesses have started to open back up, a good number of them are allowing workers to remain remote. To see which states are most conducive to this type...
Pilot: 'I Have Something
Embarrassing to Tell You Guys'
in case you missed it
Mar 20, 2022 6:31 AM CDT
Pilot: 'I Have Something Embarrassing to Tell You Guys'
Passengers were temporarily stuck on board at Massachusetts' Worcester Regional Airport
- The eagerness to get off the plane once it's landed is a feeling pretty much every air traveler can relate to. But for those passengers traveling on JetBlue Flight 676 early Tuesday, a weird problem: There were no JetBlue staffers at the airport to get them off the plane....
2 US Doctors Work to Save
Ukrainian Lives—Via YouTube
Mar 15, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
2 US Doctors Work to Save Ukrainian Lives—Via YouTube
Ukrainian tutorial out of Brigham and Women's Hospital teaches how to stop blood loss
- Nelya Melnitchouk came to the US from Ukraine when she was 18. After becoming an oncology surgeon at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, she began working with an organization to share information on cancer treatment with her counterparts in Ukraine. But once Russia invaded the country on Feb....
Shocking Video Shows
Mail Truck Plunge Off Bridge
Feb 28, 2022 1:50 PM CST
Shocking Video Shows Mail Truck Plunge Off Bridge
Massachusetts driver was uninjured
- The driver of a mail truck in Massachusetts survived a plunge off a bridge uninjured—an outcome that may have seemed unlikely to anybody who witnessed the incident. Shocking video shared by the State Police Association of Massachusetts shows the Saturday crash in Weston, around 15 miles from Boston. Police...
Ladies, You Might
Want to Move Here
Feb 28, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Ladies, You Might Want to Move Here
WalletHub ranks the best, worst states for women, with Massachusetts coming out on top
- Whether it's the job market or political representation in DC, women often seem to come up with "the short end of the stick," notes WalletHub , which decided to figure out which parts of the country might offer the best opportunities for women. The personal finance site looked...
Fights to Go Topless
Feb 20, 2022 2:05 PM CST
Nantucket Woman Fights to Go Topless
Town to consider measure to allow women to go topless at all island beaches
- All beaches in Nantucket will become topless beaches if one resident has her way. Under Massachusetts law, men can go topless in public, but the intentional exposure of female breasts can result in a charge of open and gross lewdness and lascivious behavior, punishable by up to three years in...
Heckling Mayor Wu.
Except It Wasn't Her
Feb 19, 2022 7:00 AM CST
Protester Kept Heckling Mayor Wu. Except It Wasn't Her
Protester was actually mistakenly jeering at a different Asian American woman
- A voting rights presser on the Boston Common this week drew not only locals rallying support for get-out-the-vote efforts, but also one man who really wanted to criticize Mayor Michelle Wu. MassLive.com reports the protester, decked out in a mask and sunglasses, showed up at the Monday news conference...
This State Is
Feb 14, 2022 10:50 AM CST
This State Is America's Smartest
Massachusetts is most educated, per WalletHub ranking; West Virginia is least
- Schools have taken a big hit during the pandemic, with continual disruptions to in-person learning in elementary and secondary schools and colleges across the nation. Still, as WalletHub notes, "amid these struggles, some states are able to provide safe, quality education more than others." To find out which...
FBI Warns of
'Route 91 Bandit':
'We Need to Put
a Stop to This'
Feb 14, 2022 7:00 AM CST
FBI Warns of 'Route 91 Bandit': 'We Need to Put a Stop to This'
$10K reward for perp who's hit nearly a dozen banks along New England interstate
- His disguise is no more elaborate than a coronavirus-preventing face mask (usually not worn properly, hanging underneath his nose), but the man dubbed the "Route 91 Bandit" has still managed to pull off nearly a dozen bank robberies throughout New England over the past several months. Now, the FBI...
Class Gets Eyeful
of Porn Pics
Feb 12, 2022 11:00 AM CST
High School Class Gets Eyeful of Porn Pics
School officials say Mass. employee is on leave after projecting explicit images during lesson
- If you're a teacher who uses the same laptop for home and work, it's probably a good idea to clear it of all things porn-related before using it in class. That's the hard lesson one staffer at a Massachusetts high school was just apparently taught, after an...
She Won an $8K Vacation
Price Is Right
. One Problem
Feb 11, 2022 10:07 AM CST
She Won an $8K Vacation on
Price Is Right
. One Problem
Catherine Graham of Massachusetts won a fabulous trip to ... New Hampshire
- For a recent winner on
The Price Is Right
, "the price was right, but the prize was all wrong." That's how CBS Boston frames Catherine Graham's win that aired Feb. 1, when she claimed a nearly $8,000 vacation to New Hampshire by correctly guessing its...
Woman Looks Out Window,
Saves Men From 'Pure Hell'
in case you missed it
Feb 6, 2022 12:45 PM CST
Woman Looks Out Window, Saves Men From 'Pure Hell'
Massachusetts woman saw boat capsize, called 911
- If Massachusetts woman Pam Harght had been looking in a different direction during a business call on Tuesday, three fishermen would have almost certainly perished in the frigid waters of Cape Cod Bay. Harght, who was working from home, says she was looking out the window when she saw a...
His Heavy Lift Puts
Fire Chief in Hot Water
Jan 28, 2022 12:37 PM CST
His Heavy Lift Puts Fire Chief in Hot Water
New Bedford, Massachusetts, fires Paul Coderre Jr., citing video evidence of injury fraud
- Paul Coderre Jr. helped load a 176-pound smoker grill into his pickup truck on a sunny day last June, before later removing it on his own. For the city of New Bedford, Mass., that routine action was hugely significant. As acting fire chief, Coderre had claimed work-related injuries that resulted...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
Senator's Angry, Heartbroken Speech on Texas School Shooting Goes Viral
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.