Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
May 21, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
One Dead, Dozens Hurt After 'Catastrophic' Tornado
Michigan declares state of emergency after twister sweeps through Gaylord
- "The town is devastated." That was the assessment Friday of Jordan Awrey, a member of the City Council in Gaylord, after a tornado swept through the Michigan town on Friday, killing one and wreaking havoc on buildings, cars, and other structures. Michigan State Police say 44 people were...
Teen's 'Lifesaving' Transplant
Hinges on Parents' Vax Stance
May 17, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Teen's 'Lifesaving' Transplant Hinges on Parents' Vax Stance
They argue hospital vaccination requirement violates their religious beliefs
- Parents of a Michigan teen are asking a judge to overturn a hospital's requirement that their daughter be vaccinated against COVID-19 before receiving a "lifesaving" kidney transplant. The 17-year-old girl known by her initials "AC," has only one kidney, stage-three chronic kidney disease, and end-stage renal...
Not the Loch Ness
Monster in Detroit, but
Something Else Amazing
May 7, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Not the Loch Ness Monster in Detroit, but Something Else Amazing
What may be first river otter seen in 100 years in Detroit River shows water pollution is decreasing
- "As a PhD student in marine ecology, Eric Ste Marie knew what he saw was rare." That sighting in the Detroit River last month, as described by WXYZ , is now making headlines, and it may be the first of its kind in a century. Ste Marie, a 27-year-old...
Made Rape Comment
Loses in GOP District
May 4, 2022 4:52 PM CDT
Republican Who Made Rape Comment Loses in GOP District
Others in his party denounced Robert Regan's advice to his daughters
: A Republican candidate whose comments about enjoying rape were denounced by members of his party lost his bid for a seat in the Michigan House on Tuesday. Robert "RJ" Regan was favored to win the special election in the heavily Republican district, the
Detroit Free Press
Answer to 'Vile' Accusation
Apr 27, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
National Support Follows Lawmaker's Answer to 'Vile' Accusation
Biden joins praise of lawmaker who said 'We will not let hate win'
- Lana Theis might not have expected much of a response to her fundraising email attacking a fellow Michigan legislator. Theis, a Republican, wasn't even running against state Sen. Mallory McMorrow. But Theis attacked her anyway, the Hill reports, telling supporters she's competing with "social media trolls like...
Michigan Cop Fatally Shot
Black Man as He Knelt on
Man's Back: Video
Apr 14, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Michigan Cop Fatally Shot Black Man as He Knelt on Man's Back: Video
It could be a while before prosecutors decide whether to file any charges
- A Black man face-down on the ground was fatally shot in the back of the head by a Michigan police officer, the violent climax of a traffic stop, brief foot chase, and struggle over a stun gun, according to videos of the April 4 incident released Wednesday. Patrick Lyoya, 26,...
Mom Turns In
Apr 11, 2022 8:28 AM CDT
Mom Turns In Teen Son After Store Robbery
14-year-old arrested in Michigan after his mother saw large sum of cash in his room
- The robbery itself went off without a hitch: A clerk at a liquor store in Troy, Michigan, handed over the register's cash to a young man who then fled on foot, reports WXYZ . The robber did not show a weapon but kept his hand in his pocket of his...
In Governor Kidnapping
Case, No Guilty Verdicts
Apr 8, 2022 2:23 PM CDT
In Governor Kidnapping Case, No Guilty Verdicts
Two men are acquitted, and the jury deadlocked on the other two
- The government's case against four men accused of plotting to kidnap Michigan's governor ended Friday with the acquittal of two men and the jury deadlocked on the other two. In other words, zero convictions. The
describes it as a "a staggering blow to the government...
FBI Raids Home After Threats
in Mich. Gov Kidnap Case
Mar 31, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
FBI Raids Home After Threats in Mich. Gov Kidnap Case
Prosecution has rested its case
- The FBI says it is investigating alleged death threats made in connection with the ongoing trial of four men accused of plotting to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. FBI spokesperson Mara Schneider says a Detroit-area home was raided last week over alleged threats to trial participants including the judge and...
Flint School Board
Meeting Turns Violent
Mar 25, 2022 5:03 AM CDT
Flint School Board Meeting Turns Violent
President was voted out after what witnesses said was a shocking attack
- A school board president in Flint, Michigan, was unanimously voted out after a meeting Wednesday morning escalated into what witnesses said was a shocking attack. Flint Community Schools Board of Education President Danielle Green allegedly assaulted Treasurer Laura MacIntyre during a meeting of the board's finance committee, MLive.com...
They Spent 25 Years in Prison.
The Real Killer Was the Man
Who Sent Them There
Mar 23, 2022 5:59 PM CDT
They Spent 25 Years in Prison. The Real Killer Was the Man Who Sent Them There
Michigan brothers freed after new evidence against witness surfaces
- Two brothers from Pontiac, Michigan, are free men after spending 25 years in state prisons for a murder they did not commit. George DeJesus, 44, and Melvin DeJesus, 48 were found guilty in 1997 of the murder of family friend Margaret Midkiff after a jury believed testimony from the man...
Whitmer Plot Suspect Wanted
to Kill Police, Doctors: Witness
Mar 20, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Whitmer Plot Suspect Wanted to Kill Police, Doctors: Witness
Defendant was angered by the possibility of vaccine mandates, informant testifies
- One of the men plotting to kidnap Michigan's governor also had ideas for heading off COVID-19 vaccine mandates, an informant has testified: Kill the police officers who would enforce the mandates, cut off the heads of lawyers who support the vaccines, and blow up the places where vaccines are...
First She Got the Doctor's
Call. Then Her Fiance Did
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 19, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
First She Got the Doctor's Call. Then Her Fiance Did
Mariah Nelesen, Clay Slenk move up wedding date after cancer diagnoses within 8 days of each other
- Mariah Nelesen and Clay Slenk's wedding on June 10 was supposed to be a grand affair, with every detail meticulously planned out. Now they've moved the date up to April 9, and they're planning on a reception meal of "burgers and brats on the grill,"...
in Bizarre Plot
Mar 8, 2022 1:26 PM CST
Trial Begins in Bizarre Plot to Kidnap Governor
Four men accused in Michigan are expected to use an entrapment defense
- With secret recordings and other evidence, prosecutors are pledging to show how four men were united behind a wild plot to kidnap Michigan's governor in response to her aggressive steps to slow down COVID-19 during the early months of the pandemic. Jury selection began Tuesday in a trial that...
New Details on
Mar 2, 2022 8:11 AM CST
Judge Shares New Details on Ethan Crumbley
Revelations came in ruling denying his lawyers' request he be moved to juvenile facility
Ethan Crumbley will remain in adult jail for the duration of his murder case, and the ruling establishing that included previously undisclosed details about the alleged school shooter. In his Tuesday opinion, Oakland County Circuit Judge Kwame Rowe shared details gleaned from his review of Crumbley's texts and...
After Mom Hits Curb, Goes Into
Pond, 3 Young Brothers Die
Feb 21, 2022 2:41 AM CST
After Mom Hits Curb, Goes Into Pond, 3 Young Brothers Die
They were trapped in car seats in Michigan tragedy
- Unimaginable tragedy in Michigan on Thursday, when a mom driving her three sons ended up in a frozen pond—trapping the boys fatally. The unnamed 30-year-old swerved into oncoming traffic for unknown reasons before hitting a curb and rolling into the retention pond around 11am, CNN reports. She was able...
In Far Reaches of Michigan,
'Kind of a Weird Situation'
in case you missed it
Feb 20, 2022 4:20 PM CST
In Far Reaches of Michigan, 'Kind of a Weird Situation'
Cops are asking for the public's help to find an entire cabin that's gone missing
- The tweet from Michigan State Police was posted early Wednesday. "Troopers from the Houghton Lake Post are asking for your help," it read , showing a photo of a brown cabin surrounded by snow and linking to a press release that briefly described the theft of said abode, per...
Ignored Warning Signs
Feb 9, 2022 8:26 AM CST
Witnesses: Crumbley Ignored Warning Signs
Jennifer Crumbley's boss says she texted, 'Don't judge me for what my son did' after Oxford shooting
- Jennifer Crumbley told her boss and co-worker that she felt like a failure as a parent hours before her son opened fire at Michigan's Oxford High School, killing four people with a gun his parents had bought him as a gift, according to court testimony. Andrew Smith, CEO of...
Prosecutors to Crumbleys:
Stop Blowing Kisses in Court
Feb 3, 2022 9:01 AM CST
Prosecutors to Crumbleys: Stop Blowing Kisses in Court
Parents of accused school shooter Ethan Crumbley are told to stop broadcasting romantic signals
- The parents of the teen accused of shooting up a Michigan high school in November, killing four students, may be trying to boost each other up during hearings by sending romantic signals across the courtroom and over Zoom, but they're now being hit with a warning to quit it....
It's a 'You Won a Scholarship'
Gaffe, Take II
Jan 31, 2022 12:45 PM CST
It's a 'You Won a Scholarship' Gaffe, Take II
Another Michigan university sends out errant notice to thousands of students
Last week, we reported on a university in Michigan that errantly informed incoming students they had won a full-ride scholarship. Now comes news of a different university in Michigan that did much the same thing. Oakland University mistakenly notified 5,500 students they had won the Platinum Presidential Scholar...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
FBI Reportedly Foils ISIS Plot to Kill Bush in Texas
Woman Accuses Pastor in Front of His Church
Woody Harrelson Movie Gets 8-Minute Ovation at Cannes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.