Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Prosecutors to Crumbleys:
Stop Blowing Kisses in Court
Feb 3, 2022 9:01 AM CST
Prosecutors to Crumbleys: Stop Blowing Kisses in Court
Parents of accused school shooter Ethan Crumbley are told to stop broadcasting romantic signals
- The parents of the teen accused of shooting up a Michigan high school in November, killing four students, may be trying to boost each other up during hearings by sending romantic signals across the courtroom and over Zoom, but they're now being hit with a warning to quit it....
It's a 'You Won a Scholarship'
Gaffe, Take II
Jan 31, 2022 12:45 PM CST
It's a 'You Won a Scholarship' Gaffe, Take II
Another Michigan university sends out errant notice to thousands of students
Last week, we reported on a university in Michigan that errantly informed incoming students they had won a full-ride scholarship. Now comes news of a different university in Michigan that did much the same thing. Oakland University mistakenly notified 5,500 students they had won the Platinum Presidential Scholar...
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying
Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Jan 26, 2022 6:32 AM CST
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Treasure hunter Tommy Thompson has 2 months to find new lawyer in contempt of court case
- The long-running case of a former deep-sea treasure hunter marking his sixth year in jail for refusing to disclose the whereabouts of missing gold coins has hit yet another roadblock. Research scientist Tommy Thompson has been held in contempt of court since Dec. 15, 2015, for that refusal. He's...
Here Are the 10 States
People Are Fleeing
Jan 25, 2022 3:31 PM CST
Here Are the 10 States People Are Fleeing
Residents are especially saying so long to New Jersey
- Over the past year, people in the US made some major life changes—including moving out of state. Whether it was to be closer to family during the pandemic or simply a desire for a life in a less-dense area, plenty of Americans made mini-migrations across state lines. United Van...
Woman Checks Spam,
Finds a $3M Treat
Jan 25, 2022 11:04 AM CST
Woman Checks Spam, Finds a $3M Treat
Michigan's Laura Spears was a big winner in Mega Millions draw; notice went to spam folder
- Usually when an email in your spam folder announces you've won millions of dollars, it's a scam. Luckily for Michigan's Laura Spears, she believed the email in her spam folder that appeared to have come from the Michigan Lottery and is now $3 million richer as a...
Judge After Blowup at Cancer
Patient: 'I'm Very Embarrassed'
Jan 21, 2022 9:45 AM CST
Judge After Blowup at Cancer Patient: 'I'm Very Embarrassed'
Michigan's Alexis Krot apologizes amid calls for her removal
A Michigan judge has apologized to a 72-year-old cancer patient after telling him that she would have liked to jail him for his overgrown lawn. "I made a mistake. I acted intemperately. I'm very embarrassed that I did so," Hamtramck Judge Alexis Krot said of her...
Man Shoots Twin Brother,
Father, Family Dog, and Himself
Dec 28, 2021 3:02 AM CST
Man Shoots Twin Brother, Father, Family Dog, and Himself
Only the father survived
- Tragedy in Michigan early Monday when a 23-year-old man allegedly shot and killed his twin brother, the family dog, and himself. He also shot his father, who called police around 12:25am to report what was happening, Fox 2 Detroit reports. The 62-year-old man survived, and a 64-year-old woman who...
Focused on Affairs, Horses
Instead of Depressed Son
Dec 24, 2021 8:40 AM CST
Prosecutors: Crumbleys Focused on Affairs, Horses Instead of Depressed Son
They're pushing back against move to have bail lowered to $100K
- As four devastated families in Michigan face a first Christmas without their children, prosecutors are pushing back hard against a request from the parents of alleged school shooter Ethan Crumbley to have their bail lowered. In court papers filed Thursday, prosecutors accused James and Jennifer Crumbley of ignoring red flags...
Parents of Oxford Suspect
Are Making a Big Ask
Dec 23, 2021 8:51 AM CST
Parents of Oxford Suspect Are Making a Big Ask
James, Jennifer Crumbley say they're 'devastated' about shooting, want bail lowered
- The parents of a teenager charged with killing four students at a Michigan high school didn't anticipate he would commit violence and are "devastated" like others in the community, a lawyer said Wednesday in requesting they be granted a lower bond. James and Jennifer Crumbley are charged with...
Diner Owner Who Defied
Lockdown Dies of COVID
Dec 23, 2021 5:09 AM CST
Diner Owner Who Defied Lockdown Dies of COVID
Michigan man John Parney was hospitalized for more than 2 months
- A Michigan diner owner's long fight against COVID restrictions was followed by a long fight against the virus. John Parney, the 62-year-old owner of the Quincy Diner in Quincy, Branch County, died on Dec. 13, more than two months after he was first hospitalized, MLive reports. In December last...
Middle School Teacher
Faces Felony Charge
Over Threatening Notes
Dec 22, 2021 9:10 AM CST
Middle School Teacher Faces Felony Charge Over Threatening Notes
Mich. art teacher Johnna Rhone denies she left threats insinuating future school violence
- A Michigan school district says a well-regarded middle school art teacher with two decades under her belt may have wanted to start her holiday break a little too early. Just weeks after a mass shooting at a Detroit-area high school that left four students dead, 59-year-old Johnna Rhone, an instructor...
Crumbley Parents Make
Dec 14, 2021 9:08 PM CST
Crumbley Parents Make Court Appearance
Judge rejects request to transfer alleged school shooter to juvenile facility
- The parents of alleged school shooter Ethan Crumbley appeared in court Tuesday, where prosecutors and defense lawyers agreed that a key hearing should be postponed. Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald said a scheduled Dec. 22 hearing to determine whether James and Jennifer Crumbley will stand trial on involuntary manslaughter charges...
Michigan Drivers, Your
$400 Checks Are Coming
Dec 7, 2021 12:56 PM CST
Michigan Drivers, Your $400 Checks Are Coming
State to refund residents for every vehicle they insure
- Michigan drivers have typically paid some of the highest auto insurance rates in the nation for years, but they're about to get a little payback. Drivers will soon get $400 for every insured vehicle they own, reports NPR . The money is part of an insurance overhaul in the state,...
Mich. School Rejects AG's
Offer to Investigate Shooting
Dec 7, 2021 6:48 AM CST
Mich. School Rejects AG's Offer to Investigate Shooting
Dana Nessel suggests officials concerned about 'shielding themselves from civil liability'
- Officials at Oxford High School have rejected an offer by the Michigan attorney general to lead an independent review of the actions leading up to the Nov. 30 shooting. Suspected shooter Ethan Crumbley and his parents were called to the office that day after a teacher spotted a graphic drawing...
Guy Who Helped Shooting
Suspect's Parents Identifies Self
Dec 6, 2021 6:24 AM CST
Guy Who Helped Shooting Suspect's Parents Identifies Self
Andrzej Sikora says he didn't realize what was going on
- Andrzej Sikora, a Detroit-area artist, has come forward as the person police were seeking after they located James and Jennifer Crumbley, parents of the suspected Oxford High School shooter. Authorities said someone may have helped the Crumbleys as they fled law enforcement, and Sikora says through a lawyer that the...
School Plans Outside Probe
of Its Actions Before Shooting
Dec 5, 2021 5:30 PM CST
School Plans Outside Probe of Its Actions Before Shooting
Oxford administrators let Ethan Crumbley return to class before rampage
: The superintendent of Oxford Community Schools said he's ordering an outside investigation of the high school's handling of the case of Ethan Crumbley, the student who was allowed to stay in class shortly before a mass shooting last week killed four students. Tim Throne made the announcement...
About Shooter Drills
Dec 5, 2021 3:50 PM CST
Experts Warn About Shooter Drills
Exercises can take emotional toll without preventing attacks
- It can be hard to keep in mind in the aftermath of an attack, but the chances of any one student being harmed in a school shooting are tiny. But the regular shooter drills schools hold can put the mental health of nearly every US student at risk, some experts...
Parents of Oxford Suspect
Caught After Manhunt
Dec 4, 2021 5:30 AM CST
Parents of Oxford Suspect Caught After Manhunt
James and Jennifer Crumbley seemed 'distressed' when found in Detroit commercial building
- The parents of a teen accused of killing four students in a shooting at a Michigan high school were caught early Saturday, several hours after a prosecutor filed involuntary manslaughter charges against them, officials said. James and Jennifer Crumbley were captured in a commercial building in Detroit that housed artwork,...
Dec 2, 2021 7:00 PM CST
Judge Sanctions Pro-Trump Election Lawyers
9 attorneys, including Sydney Powell, had sued to block Biden's Michigan election victory
- Sidney Powell, Lin Wood, and seven other lawyers who sued to block President Biden's election victory in Michigan have been sanctioned by a federal judge. The lawsuit filed by the pro-Trump lawyers sought to decertify Michigan's vote, charging that public officials had illegally manipulated ballots in order to...
Were Called to School
Hours Before Shooting
Dec 1, 2021 6:00 PM CST
Suspect's Parents Were Called to School Hours Before Shooting
Ethan Crumbley faces murder, terrorism charges
- Ethan Crumbley, the 15-year-old accused of killing four students and injuring four more at a Michigan high school Tuesday, has been charged as an adult with crimes including murder and terrorism—and transferred from a juvenile facility to the Oakland County Jail. At a hearing Wednesday, Oakland County Prosecutor Karen...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Judge Declares Florida Abortion Law Unconstitutional
Supreme Court Puts a Big Case on Next Term's Docket
Suspect in Star Cyclist's Murder Is Caught
Mom of Hospital Escapee: 'Terrified for the Community'
Howard Stern Selects His Presidential Running Mate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.