Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
2 Deputies Killed
in Ambush: Sheriff
Sep 9, 2022 3:45 PM CDT
2 Deputies Killed in Ambush: Sheriff
2 die in attack while serving warrant outside Atlanta
- Two deputies were killed in an ambush while attempting to serve a warrant at a home in a suburb near Atlanta, a sheriff said Friday. The two deputies had returned to their vehicle after knocking on the door when another car pulled up Thursday night, Cobb County Sheriff Craig Owens...
Hey, Florida Man.
Meet Florida Sheriff
Jul 23, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Hey, Florida Man. Meet Florida Sheriff
A few guys with badges are going as viral as some of the dumb criminals they deal with
- When a naked man in southwestern Florida recently raised a ruckus outside his house and threatened a deputy with a kitchen knife, the SWAT team swooped in and apprehended him. Soon afterward, Lee County Sheriff Carmine Marceno stood on the man's driveway in combat gear for a news conference...
Girls Left a Thank-You Note,
Sheriff Pulled a Gun
in case you missed it
Dec 19, 2021 9:00 AM CST
Girls Left a Thank-You Note, Sheriff Pulled a Gun
Idaho sheriff Craig Rowland drew weapon on group that left 'thankful turkey' at his home
- A couple of weeks before Thanksgiving, girls in a Mormon youth group in eastern Idaho spent an evening taping thank-you notes shaped like turkeys on the doors of congregation members, knocking on their doors or ringing their doorbells, and then running away before the residents could see who had left...
Dec 9, 2021 5:05 PM CST
Basketball Fight Lands Sheriff in Jail
Trooper says Brent Lynch, who's also a coach, hit a member of the other girls team
- A Kentucky sheriff is jailed and four players are suspended from competition after a fight broke out during a girls high school basketball game. A state trooper said Brent Lynch, the elected Owsley County sheriff who doubles as a coach at Owsley County High School, rushed onto the court and...
Judge: Sheriff Can't Force
Teen to Remove COVID Post
Sep 27, 2021 7:32 PM CDT
Judge: Sheriff Can't Force Teen to Remove COVID Post
Deputy threatened arrests over Instagram post early in the pandemic
- Amyiah Cohoon didn't intend to scare anyone or end up in the middle of a First Amendment court case. But after she posted three updates about her bout with COVID on social media, a sheriff's deputy showed up at her family home and told the 16-year-old to take...
Publix Shooter's Targets
Were 'People and Children'
Jun 15, 2021 5:54 PM CDT
Publix Shooter's Targets Were 'People and Children'
Sheriff says nobody warned the man could be dangerous, but others say they tried
- Before he walked into a Publix grocery store last week and shot to death a woman and her grandson, the Florida man posted on Facebook that he wanted to kill "people and children," investigators say. Timothy Wall, 55, didn't know his victims, Palm Beach County officials said,...
in Death of
in North Carolina
May 18, 2021 1:18 PM CDT
No Charges in Death of Andrew Brown in North Carolina
Prosecutor calls deputies' actions justified
- "No officers will be criminally charged," a North Carolina district attorney announced Tuesday in the case of Andrew Brown Jr., who was shot to death by sheriff's deputies who had gone to his home to arrest him. "The officers' actions were consistent with their training and...
Indictment: After Teen's
Arrest, Sheriff Texted 'Chair'
Apr 28, 2021 12:03 PM CDT
Indictment: After Teen's Arrest, Sheriff Texted 'Chair'
Clayton County Sheriff Victor Hill is accused of illegally using a restraint chair
- Under US law, restraint chairs can't be used on inmates as a kind of punishment. But that's what a Georgia sheriff is accused of doing over the course of several months last year in the case of four people who allegedly suffered pain and injury as a result,...
Wyoming Sheriff Breaks Ground
Feb 15, 2021 7:15 PM CST
Wyoming Sheriff Breaks Ground
The state's first Black sheriff wants to focus on peace
- As a student at the Wyoming Law Enforcement Academy, Aaron Appelhans used to look at the photos of past graduating classes hanging on the wall. "I got to see, for the most part, ain't a whole lot of people that looked like me around here," he recalled...
In Alabama, It's a
Dec 5, 2020 1:30 PM CST
In Alabama, It's a 'Thugshot' Christmas
A sheriff's department posts its tree on Facebook
- Officials from an Alabama sheriff's department are being criticized for displaying a photo of a Christmas tree adorned with what they called "thugshots" of people who have been arrested, the AP reports. The Mobile County Sheriff’s Office used its Facebook page to post a doctored image of...
Missing Hiker Was Found.
Now It's a Criminal Probe
Oct 31, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Missing Hiker Was Found. Now It's a Criminal Probe
A Utah sheriff says there are too many discrepancies
- Authorities are investigating whether the 12-day disappearance of a Utah hiker was really on the up and up, the
Salt Lake Tribune
reports. The Washington County Sheriff's Office says its investigation of Holly Courtier, 38, is based on "numerous tips" that "the incident was possibly conceived and...
Florida Sheriff Tells Deputies
They Cannot Wear Masks
Aug 12, 2020 9:21 AM CDT
Florida Sheriff Tells Deputies They Cannot Wear Masks
Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods says 'clear communication' is paramount in these times
- Amid the headlines about employees getting pummeled for trying to enforce mask mandates comes a story very much the opposite out of Florida's Marion County, where sheriff's office employees have been told they cannot wear masks. The
reports that Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods sent his...
Sheriff Joe's Loss in Primary
May Be Bad News for Trump
Aug 8, 2020 9:05 AM CDT
Sheriff Joe's Loss in Primary May Be Bad News for Trump
Arpaio loses in quest to get his job back in Arizona's Maricopa County
- Arizona apparently has had enough of "America's toughest sheriff." Former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has lost the Republican primary to regain his old job, reports Reuters . His former chief deputy, Jerry Sheridan, defeated him in a close, three-way race, with Sheridan securing 37% of the vote...
MLB Team for
on the Fire'
Jul 31, 2020 3:50 PM CDT
Sheriff Slams MLB Team for 'Throwing Gasoline on the Fire'
Top cop for Pinellas County, Fla., says Tampa Bay Rays shouldn't have tweeted about Breonna Taylor
- A Major League Baseball team's tweet on its first official day of play has irked a Florida sheriff, and he even called one of the team's presidents to voice his disapproval. The offending tweet came from the Tampa Bay Rays on Friday morning, but it had nothing to...
A Library Voiced
Its Support for BLM.
A Sheriff Pounced
Jul 29, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
A Library Voiced Its Support for BLM. A Sheriff Pounced
Dan Coverley has backtracked since telling Nevada library not to call 911
- A Nevada library recently posted a proposed statement on diversity and inclusion, and it didn't sit well with the county sheriff. The Douglas County Public Library "denounces all acts of violence, racism, and disregard for human rights. We support #Black Lives Matter," the library wrote in the...
Sheriffs Rebel Against Abbott's
Mask Order, Won't Enforce It
Jul 7, 2020 9:05 AM CDT
Sheriffs Rebel Against Abbott's Mask Order, Won't Enforce It
Law enforcement officials in multiple counties say the mandate is 'unenforceable'
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott did a 180 last week on wearing masks in public, requiring Texans to wear them in any county with more than 20 COVID-19 cases. But the mandate is now receiving backlash, with law enforcement officials in several counties noting they won't enforce the order. Per...
Sheriff Who Said
Unconstitutional Has Virus
Jun 18, 2020 2:08 PM CDT
Sheriff Who Said Lockdown Was Unconstitutional Has Virus
'This line of work is inherently dangerous,' says Mark Lamb, sheriff of Pinal County, Arizona
- An Arizona sheriff who disagreed with his governor's stay-at-home order amid the pandemic and said he wouldn't enforce it now has COVID-19 himself. Mark Lamb, the sheriff for Pinal County, made his announcement Wednesday, per the
. "Unfortunately, as a law enforcement official and elected leader,...
Black Pastor Called Cops on
Mob. They Arrested Him
Jun 15, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
Black Pastor Called Cops on Mob. They Arrested Him
Va. sheriff makes apology, announces hate crime charges against 5
- A Virginia sheriff has apologized to a black pastor who was arrested after calling 911 on a group of white people who threatened to kill him after trying to dump a refrigerator on his property. Shenandoah County Sheriff Timothy Carter made the apology to Leon McCray Sr. of Woodstock on...
Her Boss' Job,
Has Her Badge Pulled
Feb 28, 2020 10:46 AM CST
She Wants Her Boss' Job, Has Her Badge Pulled
She Wants Her Boss' Job, Had Her Badge Pulled
- A deputy of South Carolina's largest sheriff's office has been stripped of her badge, uniform, and guns after expressing a desire to run for her boss' job. Al Cannon, 73, has been sheriff of Charleston County since 1988 and intends to remain in the job after the November...
Sheriff Errs in
to Twitter's Glee
Jan 28, 2020 10:06 AM CST
Sheriff Errs in Boulder Warning, to Twitter's Glee
'Large boulder the size of a small boulder' is a hit
- For 30 minutes Monday, a boulder blocked a lane of highway in San Miguel County, Colorado. And for the rest of the day, Twitter users were infatuated, and also a little confused. "Large boulder the size of a small boulder is completely blocking east-bound lane Highway 145 mm78 at...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
For Owners of Some Kias, Hyundais, an Unusual Worry
9 Months Later, Case of Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
The World Has a New Island
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.