Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
International Criminal Court
Stories 1 - 20 |
'For the Kremlin'
May 4, 2023 11:50 AM CDT
Drones Marked 'For the Kremlin' Attack Ukraine
Meanwhile, the ICC raises Ukrainian flag as President Zelensky visits The Hague
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was in the Netherlands on Thursday for a surprise visit to the city that's home to the International Criminal Court, which has issued an arrest warrant for Russian President Vladimir Putin. Zelensky's visit to The Hague, which hosts the ICC and the United Nations'...
What the ICC's
Means for Putin
Mar 17, 2023 2:46 PM CDT
What the ICC's Arrest Warrant Means for Putin
If nothing else, Russian leader will have to curtail his travel to nations that work with the court
- Vladimir Putin is in rare, if unwanted, company: On Friday, he became only the third sitting president to be the subject of an arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court in the Hague, notes Reuters . The others were Sudan's Omar al-Bashir and Libya's Muammar Gaddafi. So now...
There's an Arrest Warrant
Out for Putin From ICC
Mar 17, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
There's an Arrest Warrant Out for Putin From ICC
Russian president accused of war crimes for unlawful deportation, transfer of Ukrainian children
- Expect Vladimir Putin to continue keeping a low profile. The International Criminal Court said Friday it has issued an arrest warrant for the Russian president for war crimes because of his alleged involvement in abductions of children from Ukraine , per the AP . The court said in a statement that Putin...
Alleged Russian Spy Tried
to Infiltrate War Crimes Court
Jun 17, 2022 6:20 AM CDT
Alleged Russian Spy Tried to Infiltrate War Crimes Court
Dutch authorities say man posed as Brazilian
- Dutch authorities say they've stopped a Russian spy from infiltrating the International Criminal Court, which is investigating alleged Russian war crimes in Ukraine and Georgia. The suspected operative of Russia's GRU military intelligence service posed as a 33-year-old Brazilian named Viktor Muller Ferreira, who'd successfully applied for...
Ukraine Has Been
Declared a Crime Scene
Jun 1, 2022 6:11 AM CDT
Ukraine Has Been Declared a Crime Scene
ICC makes declaration as 15K war crimes have been reported since Russia invaded
- Since Russia invaded Ukraine, around 15,000 suspected war crimes have been reported so far—and 200-300 more reports come in every day, Ukraine's chief prosecutor says. Several thousand of those were reported in the eastern Donbas region, where fighting is particularly heavy, the BBC reports. Some of the...
Meets Evidence of
Atrocities in Bucha
Apr 4, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Global Outcry Meets Evidence of Atrocities in Bucha
Bucha's mayor reports bodies of executed civilians in the streets, mass graves
- The discovery of the bodies of apparently executed civilians left behind in a Ukrainian town by withdrawing Russian troops was met with international condemnation on Sunday, even as residents assess the horrific toll. One street in Bucha contained the bodies of at least 20 men, CNN reports. "Their hands...
Mar 7, 2022 5:06 PM CST
Ukraine, US Collect Evidence of War Crimes
Teams go to sites of bombings to build a case for International Criminal Court
- The US has joined the effort to build a case that Russia is committing war crimes in its attack on Ukraine, officials said Monday. "We will support accountability using every tool available, including criminal prosecutions where appropriate," a National Security Council spokesperson said, per NBC News . That includes...
Massive Russian Convoy
Feb 28, 2022 6:13 PM CST
Massive Russian Convoy Approaches Kyiv
ICC to investigate alleged war crimes
- As Russian forces closed in on Ukraine's capital Monday, the prosecutor of the International Criminal Court in the Hague said he was launching an investigation of possible war crimes in the 5-day-old conflict. Karim Khan said he had told his team to "explore all evidence preservation opportunities,"...
Trump Orders Sanctions on
War Crimes Court Officials
Jun 12, 2020 8:36 AM CDT
Trump Orders Sanctions on War Crimes Court Officials
Pompeo slams ICC as 'kangaroo court'
- The Trump administration is hitting back hard against the International Criminal Court over its plans to investigate alleged war crimes in Afghanistan. An executive order announced Thursday imposes sanctions on ICC officials and bars them—and their families—from visiting the US, the
reports. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo...
Surprise Deal Is Bad News
for a Brutal Former Dictator
Feb 11, 2020 10:40 AM CST
Surprise Deal Is Bad News for a Brutal Former Dictator
Omar al-Bashir of Sudan may be handed over to a world court to face war crimes charges
- A surprise development in Africa means an autocrat who ruled for decades might be handed over to a world court to face war crimes charges. Coverage:
Omar al-Bashir, 76, ruled Sudan from 1989 until his ouster last year , and he did so with an "iron fist," per
Justice Years After
Found in Field
Jul 8, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
Justice Years After Disemboweled Bodies Found in Field
ICC finds Bosco Ntaganda guilty of war crimes committed in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- The International Criminal Court came into being in 2002. Seventeen years later, it notched its fourth conviction. Former Congolese rebel leader Bosco Ntaganda, known as the "Terminator," was convicted on Monday of war crimes and crimes against humanity, among them, sexual slavery—the first time the ICC has...
to Stay Away
Mar 15, 2019 1:50 PM CDT
US Warns World Court to Stay Away From Americans
Pompeo warns against inquiries into soldiers in Afghanistan or elsewhere
- The US will revoke or deny visas to International Criminal Court personnel who try to investigate or prosecute alleged abuses committed by US forces in Afghanistan or elsewhere, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Friday. The Hague-based court, the first global tribunal for war crimes, said it would continue to...
Bolton Warns World Judges:
US Troops Are Off Limits
Sep 10, 2018 1:55 PM CDT
Bolton Warns World Judges: US Troops Are Off Limits
National security adviser unloads on 'illegitimate' International Criminal Court
- John Bolton gave his first major speech as national security adviser Monday, and it was a doozy. He unloaded on the "illegitimate" International Criminal Court and warned its judges they will pay a stiff price if they go after US troops in Afghanistan, reports the
New York Times
ICC Is Investigating Duterte,
Who Suddenly Wants Out
Mar 14, 2018 7:57 AM CDT
ICC Is Investigating Duterte, Who Suddenly Wants Out
He says Philippines is withdrawing from the ICC, 'effective immediately'
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has had a bumpy relationship with the International Criminal Court. He once described it as "bulls---," then in February said he welcomed its preliminary investigation into allegations of crimes against humanity during Duterte's war on drugs. Now, he says he'll pull the...
ICC Looks Into Claims
Duterte Ordered Mass Murder
Feb 8, 2018 10:50 AM CST
ICC Looks Into Claims Duterte Ordered Mass Murder
He welcomes preliminary investigation into crimes against humanity, rep says
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte welcomes a preliminary investigation into allegations of crimes against humanity now underway by the International Criminal Court, a spokesman said Thursday, marking an about-face for a man who once described the ICC as "bulls---." Duterte is "sick and tired of being accused" and...
in N. Korea
Dec 12, 2017 11:30 AM CST
Panel Reveals Chilling Details From Camps in N. Korea
One judge who survived Auschwitz says conditions are just as bad, if not worse
- Three international judges have been digging into conditions at North Korea's infamous labor camps , and one of them gives a damning assessment to the
: "I believe that the conditions in the [North] Korean prison camps are as terrible, or even worse, than those I saw and...
Emails: Jolie Offered to Be
Bait in Trap for Warlord
Oct 9, 2017 1:45 AM CDT
Emails: Jolie Offered to Be Bait in Trap for Warlord
ICC honcho wanted her to invite Kony to dinner
- In a plan that sounds more like a rejected movie script than reality, Angelina Jolie offered to help capture bloodthirsty warlord Joseph Kony by inviting him to dinner, according to leaked emails. In International Criminal Court emails leaked to the French website Mediapart , former chief ICC posecutor Luis Moreno Ocampo...
Putin to International
Nov 16, 2016 9:07 AM CST
Putin to International Criminal Court: Russia's Out
The day after Russia was condemned by the ICC for human rights abuses
- Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree Wednesday to withdraw Russia from the International Criminal Court, which rules on such grave charges as genocide and crimes against humanity, the AP reports. Russia in 2000 signed the Rome treaty that established the Hague-based court but never ratified it. Putin's decree,...
ICC: Probe Into
American War Crimes
May Be Coming
Nov 16, 2016 3:03 AM CST
ICC: Probe Into American War Crimes May Be Coming
Court says US troops tortured detainees
- The International Criminal Court is talking about investigating Americans for alleged war crimes in Afghanistan, a move that the State Department considers both unwarranted and inappropriate. The department says that not only is the US not a member of the ICC, it has its own justice system capable of dealing...
3 Countries to
Oct 26, 2016 7:50 AM CDT
3 Countries to Quit International Criminal Court
Gambia says it unfairly targets Africans
- A third African country says it will leave the International Criminal Court as fears grow of a mass pullout from the body that pursues some of the world's worst atrocities. Gambia announced the decision on TV Tuesday, accusing the court of unfairly targeting Africa and calling it the "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
First a 7.6 Magnitude Quake, Now a Tsunami Warning
One Group of Creatives Has Stellar Mental Health
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.