Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Big Banks Warn
Nov 4, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Big Banks Warn Customers of Deposit Delays
'Manual error' said to cause 'processing issue' at Chase, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, others
- Deposits at major banks across the nation were delayed Friday, due to what the Federal Reserve is calling a "processing issue" caused by human error. CNN Business reports that customers at Bank of America, Chase, Wells Fargo, US Bank, and Truist started complaining about the problem Friday morning, with...
JPMorgan Settles Epstein
Case With $75M Payment
Sep 26, 2023 10:02 AM CDT
JPMorgan Settles Epstein Case With $75M Payment
Virgin Islands accused the bank of turning a blind eye to his sex trafficking of girls
- JPMorgan Chase will pay $75 million to close an ugly chapter in the banking giant's history. The payment settles a lawsuit brought by the US Virgin Islands that accused the bank of turning a blind eye to the sex trafficking of girls by Jeffrey Epstein, reports the
He Lost Life Savings to Scam.
The Bank Stepped Up
Sep 12, 2023 1:48 PM CDT
He Lost Life Savings to Scam. The Bank Stepped Up
Australia's ANZ recognized 78-year-old Alex Shaw, who has dementia, had been taken for $300K
- An elderly man from Down Under who was scammed out of his life savings has received a reprieve, in a tale described by the Good News Network as "a story of corporate responsibility in the face of personal tragedy." ABC Australia notes that although scam victims in the...
Feds Order Bank of America
to Pay $250M in New Scandal
Jul 11, 2023 9:18 AM CDT
Feds Order Bank of America to Pay $250M in New Scandal
CFPB says bank charged junk fees, withheld bonuses, opened fake accounts
- Bank of America must pay more than $100 million to customers for doubling up on some fees, withholding reward bonuses, and opening accounts without customer consent, reports the AP . Bank of America will pay $90 million in penalties to its organization and $60 million in penalties to the Office of...
Half of Americans Fear
for Their Bank Holdings
May 7, 2023 3:25 PM CDT
Half of Americans Fear for Their Bank Holdings
Experts say there's no reason to fret thanks to FDIC insurance
- Americans appear as worried about their money in banks now as they were during the 2008 financial crisis. Some 48% of US adults are "very" or "moderately" concerned about money held in bank accounts, according to a Gallup poll that was conducted after two banks failed , but before...
In Silicon Valley Bank Fail,
the Fed's 'Mea Culpa' (Sort Of)
Apr 28, 2023 2:25 PM CDT
In Silicon Valley Bank Fail, the Fed's 'Mea Culpa' (Sort Of)
US central banking system blames lax oversight, weakened regulations for bank's collapse
- The Federal Reserve blamed last month's collapse of Silicon Valley Bank on poor management, watered-down regulations, and lax oversight by its own staffers, adding that the industry needs stricter policing on multiple fronts to prevent future bank failures. The Fed was highly critical of its own role in the...
UBS Buys Credit Suisse in
Deal Driven by Regulators
Mar 19, 2023 2:41 PM CDT
UBS Buys Credit Suisse in Deal Driven by Regulators
Swiss government says merger will protect global financial system
- Switzerland's two biggest banks are merging, after regulators intervened to prevent the smaller one's problems from affecting the global banking system. The deal between UBS and Credit Suisse was announced Sunday night by Swiss President Alain Berset. The country's finance minister said that had Credit Suisse filed...
Sharon Stone Makes
Shocking Financial Admission
Mar 18, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Sharon Stone Makes Shocking Financial Admission
At cancer awareness event in Beverly Hills, actor says she lost half her fortune to 'this banking thing'
- Even the rich and famous aren't necessarily immune to major fails in the banking industry. Sharon Stone put herself forward as an example of that on Thursday, when she spoke at a star-studded California cancer awareness event and made a shocking claim about her finances. Per Yahoo Entertainment , the...
Gets a Lifeline
Mar 16, 2023 6:07 AM CDT
Hemorrhaging Bank Gets a Lifeline
Credit Suisse can borrow up to $53.7B from Swiss central bank
- Credit Suisse's shares soared more than 30% on Thursday after it announced it will move to shore up its finances by borrowing up to nearly $54 billion from the Swiss central bank, bolstering confidence as fears about the banking system moved from the US to Europe. It was a...
Another Bank Just
Took a Huge Hit
Mar 15, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Another Bank Just Took a Huge Hit
Credit Suisse shares lost a quarter of their value after biggest shareholder said no more money
- Battered shares of Credit Suisse lost more than one-quarter of their value Wednesday, hitting a record low after its biggest shareholder—the Saudi National Bank—said it would not inject more money into the Swiss bank beset by problems long before the failure of two US lenders. The turmoil prompted...
A Bank Collapsed. Next:
Moves to Avoid a 'Contagion'
Mar 15, 2023 8:29 AM CDT
A Bank Collapsed. Next: Moves to Avoid a 'Contagion'
Media outlets detail Biden administration's frenzied weekend to try to keep banking crisis at bay
- The collapse on Friday of Silicon Valley Bank , which was bookended by the shuttering of two other financial institutions, led to wider fears among Biden administration officials: the possibility of a "contagion" that could lead to a domino effect of failure among America's banks, as one White House...
Report: Bank Was at Center of
Criminal Probe Before Collapse
Mar 15, 2023 6:35 AM CDT
Report: Bank Was at Center of Criminal Probe Before Collapse
Per Bloomberg, the feds were looking into Signature Bank's dealings with crypto clients
- On Tuesday, a spokesperson for the New York State Department of Financial Services insisted that the shuttering of Signature Bank, the third US financial institution to collapse in just a matter of days, had "nothing to do with crypto," per Reuters . By Tuesday evening, however, Bloomberg suggested that...
Biden Tries to Shore Up
Confidence in Bank System
Mar 13, 2023 9:10 AM CDT
Biden Tries to Shore Up Confidence in Bank System
'Your deposits will be there when you need them'
- One of President Biden's first orders of business on Monday was to attempt to reassure Americans—and the financial markets—that the banking system is on solid ground after a tumultuous few days .
"Your deposits will be there when you need them," said Biden in a national
Largest Bank Collapse
Since 2008 Just Went Down
Mar 10, 2023 11:40 AM CST
Largest Bank Collapse Since 2008 Just Went Down
FDIC shutters Silicon Valley Bank, seizes its assets
- The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation seized the assets of Silicon Valley Bank on Friday, marking the largest bank failure since Washington Mutual during the height of the 2008 financial crisis. The FDIC ordered the closure of SVB and immediately took possession of all deposits at the bank. The bank had...
Scams on Rise at Zelle
Oct 4, 2022 7:39 AM CDT
Warren: Fraud, Scams on Rise at Zelle
Senate report finds growing cases of fraud on payment service, limited reimbursements
- Incidents of fraud and scams are occurring more often on the popular peer-to-peer payment service Zelle, according to a report issued Monday by the office of Sen. Elizabeth Warren, giving the public its first glimpse into the growing problems at Zelle. The report also found that the large banks that...
Already Angry Bank Customers
Here Are About to Get Angrier
Sep 22, 2022 8:38 AM CDT
Already Angry Bank Customers Here Are About to Get Angrier
Lebanon shutters banks 'indefinitely' after heist spree by patrons trying to access trapped cash
- If you're in Lebanon and need to do regular banking, better download the app—and expect all the usual limitations on how much money you can take out. That's because after being closed for three days already, most banks there are now shuttered "indefinitely" after a rush...
Exodus From Russia Now
Includes Wall Street Banks
Mar 10, 2022 9:50 AM CST
Exodus From Russia Now Includes Wall Street Banks
Goldman Sachs is first to make the move
- Another financial shot to Russia: Goldman Sachs on Thursday became the first major Wall Street bank to pull out of the nation since the invasion of Ukraine, reports NPR . It's a sign of the increasing economic isolation being imposed on Moscow by the West, though CNBC describes US banking...
Whistleblower Reveals 18K
Secret Swiss Bank Accounts
Feb 21, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Whistleblower Reveals 18K Secret Swiss Bank Accounts
Credit Suisse did business with some nefarious characters
- The idea of not-so-upright characters stashing money in a Swiss bank account is a staple of Hollywood—and a large leak of account holders with the giant Credit Suisse suggests it's right on the money:
A whistleblower gave the German newspaper
data on more than
Biden's Pick for
Dec 8, 2021 8:31 AM CST
Under Fire, Biden's Pick for Bank Regulator Pulls Out
'It is no longer tenable for me to continue' as the nominee for OCC, says Saule Omarova
- Saule Omarova, President Biden's nominee to head up the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, has taken her name out of the running. "I deeply value President Biden's trust in my abilities and remain firmly committed to the Administration's vision of a prosperous, inclusive, and...
Victim Sues Her Bank
Oct 11, 2021 11:02 AM CDT
'Grandparent Scam' Victim Sues Her Bank
Florida widow lost more than $700K, says bank was negligent
- The "grandparent scam" has been around for a while, but the
Tampa Bay Times
reports on one with a particularly large payday and an unusual legal twist. An attorney for 82-year-old Anna Nunn of Florida says his widowed client was bilked of more than $700,000—and she's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.