Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Man Who Claimed Intruder
Killed His Family Is Arrested
Jun 16, 2021 3:15 PM CDT
Man Who Claimed Intruder Killed His Family Is Arrested
Cedar Rapids man Alexander Jackson charged with murders of parents, sister
- An Iowa man who claimed a masked intruder killed his parents and younger sister Tuesday morning has been charged with their murders. Police say Alexander Jackson called 911 from a Cedar Rapids home and said he had been shot in the foot while struggling with the intruder, the
This Is the Best
State to Live In
Jun 15, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
This Is the Best State to Live In
New Jersey tops the list in WalletHub's ranking
- Figuring out where to settle down can be a tough task, especially considering all of the various factors that could influence one's choice. WalletHub examines the gamut, looking at more than four dozen metrics in all 50 states in five main categories: affordability; the economy (including unemployment rates, job...
Iowa Man Gets 10 Years
After Fight Over Face Mask
Jun 14, 2021 1:22 PM CDT
Iowa Man Gets 10 Years After Fight Over Face Mask
Shane Michael assaulted man who asked him to raise his mask
- An Iowa man who was asked to wear his mask properly by a fellow customer in an eyewear store last year responded by following the man out to the parking lot and assaulting him, prosecutors say. Shane Michael, 42, has received a mandatory 10-year prison sentence after being convicted of...
in Slaying of
May 28, 2021 2:55 PM CDT
Jury Returns Guilty Verdict in Slaying of Mollie Tibbetts
First-degree murder conviction means a life sentence without parole for killer
- A jury returned a guilty verdict Friday in the 2018 slaying of Mollie Tibbetts, a 20-year-old Iowa college student. Cristhian Bahena Rivera, a farmhand and Mexican national, was convicted of first-degree murder after seven hours of deliberations, NBC reports. Rivera, 26, faces the state's mandatory sentence of life in...
May 27, 2021 12:12 PM CDT
Mollie Tibbetts' Alleged Killer Reverses Confession
Wednesday's testimony came as surprise to prosecutors
- The man on trial for the 2018 stabbing death of University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts took the stand Wednesday to claim her killers were walking free. Testifying through an interpreter, Mexican national Cristhian Bahena Rivera said two masked men, one carrying a gun and another a knife, showed up...
This Is the Best
State for Millennials
May 25, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
This Is the Best State for Millennials
Washington offers a warm welcome if you're between the ages of 25 and 40
- Millennials end up in headlines quite a bit , and the latest one offers some guidance on where they might be able to live their best lives. WalletHub examined this demographic— generally defined as those born between 1981 and 1996, making them between 25 and 40 in 2021—and where they'...
May 20, 2021 4:15 PM CDT
Iowa Schools, Businesses Can No Longer Require Masks
Bill passes in final hours of legislature
- Iowans can still wear face masks if they choose to, but nobody can make them. Gov. Kim Reynolds, a Republican, signed legislation Thursday prohibiting mask mandates in public or private schools through 12th grade, the
Des Moines Register
reports. Republican lawmakers won approval of the bill along party lines as...
Prosecutor Warns Jury Pool:
Details of Trial Won't Be Easy
May 17, 2021 2:18 PM CDT
Prosecutor Warns Jury Pool: Details of Trial Won't Be Easy
Jury selection starts in 2018 stabbing death of Mollie Tibbetts in Iowa
- A prosecutor warned prospective jurors Monday that the trial of a Mexican national charged in the 2018 fatal stabbing of a University of Iowa student will include graphic evidence that will be emotionally difficult to see and hear. Prosecutor Scott Brown said the first-degree murder trial of Cristhian Bahena Rivera...
Girlfriend to Home
May 15, 2021 12:11 PM CDT
Cops: Iowa Man Faked Death, Lured Girlfriend to Home
Sioux City man held the teen, her friend with a BB gun that looked real, say police
- The gun looked real enough to the teen and her friend. Police say Zack Lee Smith, a 20-year-old Iowa man, pretending to be his own father, emailed his 18-year-old girlfriend. The email said Smith had died by suicide and told the teen she could pick up her belongings from his...
Health Worker Accidentally
Gets a 'Massive' Vaccine Dose
May 11, 2021 8:20 AM CDT
Health Worker Accidentally Gets a 'Massive' Vaccine Dose
Italian woman is doing fine regardless
- A 23-year-old Italian woman is doing well after she accidentally received six doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine on Sunday. A health worker at Noa hospital in Tuscany had filled a syringe with an entire vial of the vaccine, which is to be split into six doses. It was only...
Apr 4, 2021 4:30 PM CDT
Teen's Idea May Reduce Infections in Sutures
Dasia Taylor, take a bow
- A 17-year-old high school student and finalist in a national science competition has come up with an impressive invention she hopes can save lives, particularly in developing countries. Dasia Taylor of Iowa City, Iowa, had read about "smart" sutures coated with a conductive material that can relay changes in...
by 6 Votes
Mar 31, 2021 6:50 PM CDT
Iowa Candidate Accepts Loss by 6 Votes
Republicans were beginning to go after other Democrats over the issue
- In the face of GOP threats to go after at-risk Democrats in races around the country, Rita Hart has withdrawn a challenge of her six-vote loss last November to Iowa Rep. Mariannette Miller-Meeks. A recount of the almost 400,000 ballots had confirmed Miller-Meeks' victory, the closest US race since...
2 University Crew Club
Members Die in Accident
Mar 29, 2021 3:26 PM CDT
2 University Crew Club Members Die in Accident
3 other Iowa State students were rescued from lake
- Two Iowa State University Crew Club members died after their boat capsized Sunday morning—and Hamilton County Sheriff Doug Timmons says it could have been an even bigger tragedy if residents near Little Wall Lake hadn't raced to rescue other students. "We had some heroes in the people...
Nurse, Officer Dead
After Inmate Attack
Mar 23, 2021 6:10 PM CDT
Nurse, Officer Dead After Inmate Attack
Officials say Iowa inmate attacked staff members, other inmates
- A nurse and a correctional officer at a prison housing some of Iowa's most dangerous offenders died on Tuesday after an inmate carried out an attack on staff members and other inmates, state officials said. The attack happened at around 10:15am in the prison infirmary at the state...
Iowa Journalist Arrested at
BLM Protest Hears Her Fate
Mar 10, 2021 5:42 PM CST
Iowa Journalist Arrested at BLM Protest Hears Her Fate
The case has been condemned as an attack on the freedom of the press
- An Iowa journalist who was pepper sprayed, zip tied, and arrested at a Black Lives Matter demonstration last year has been found not guilty on charges of failure to disperse and interfering with police, CNN reports. Following the verdict,
Des Moines Register
reporter Andrea May Sahouri tweeted : “Acquitted,”...
Here Are the Best,
Worst States for Women
Mar 1, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Here Are the Best, Worst States for Women
Minnesota comes out on top, Mississippi is at the bottom
- Pay gaps, the minimum wage, the pandemic—all issues that affect women disproportionately, though there are some areas of the US that offer better opportunities for women than others. WalletHub tries to shake those locations out, looking at more than two dozen metrics in two main categories: women's economic...
To Make Point
on Masks, Iowa
Jeans to Work
Feb 4, 2021 10:30 AM CST
To Make Point on Masks, Iowa Lawmaker Wears Jeans to Work
Jeans are harmless, but 'not wearing a mask can kill people,' says Rep. Beth Wessel-Kroeschell
- "If they can enforce a denim dress code, they can also enforce a mask mandate." That's the message from Iowa Rep. Beth Wessel-Kroeschell, who chose this week to break a rule banning jeans from the state's House. Republicans, who control both the state House and Senate,...
These States Are Safest
During the Pandemic
Jan 23, 2021 4:10 PM CST
These States Are Safest During the Pandemic
You'll fare best dealing with COVID in Alaska, worst in Arizona
- As the rollout of the various coronavirus vaccines continues, there's now a (still somewhat distant) light at the end of the pandemic tunnel. But with months to go before much of the population is vaccinated, it's important to keep up with safety and health guidelines, and to keep...
Here Are the 10 Best,
Worst States to Drive In
Jan 19, 2021 11:19 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst States to Drive In
You'll be cruising pretty in Texas, trying to tame your road rage in Hawaii
- There's still not a lot to do these days as we continue our weary march through the pandemic, but at least going for a drive can be a nice escape—unless you're in Hawaii, that is. That's the surprising last-place entry in WalletHub's new ranking of...
Fired Manager Calls COVID
Betting Pool a 'Morale Boost'
Dec 30, 2020 4:26 PM CST
Fired Manager Calls COVID Betting Pool a 'Morale Boost'
The virus killed at least six workers at a Tyson pork plant
- One of the Tyson Foods managers fired for betting on how many workers would contract COVID-19 at a Waterloo, Iowa, pork plant said the office pool was spontaneous fun and intended to boost morale. Don Merschbrock said he was speaking in an attempt to show that the seven fired supervisors...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
Removal of Roosevelt Statue Begins
Wife of Cryptocurrency CEO Maintains She Watched Him Die
Decrepit Zero-Bedroom Home Sells for 'Head-Scratcher' Price
Moon Knight Star Dies 2 Days After Trailer Released
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.