Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Grand Canyon National Park
Stories 1 - 20 |
Patient Pulls Off
Grueling Feat at
Sep 18, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Elderly Cancer Patient Pulls Off Grueling Feat at Grand Canyon
Fran Anderson, 81, finishes 24-mile rim-to-rim hike in 21 hours, with family by her side
- An 81-year-old grandmother of nine with blood cancer who nearly died of pneumonia a few months back has pulled off a feat that would test even the healthiest among us. On Sept. 4, Fran Anderson of Orange, California, finished a rim-to-rim hike across the Grand Canyon, a 24-mile trek that...
He Tried to Hike From Rim
to Rim, Died Halfway Through
Sep 12, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
He Tried to Hike From Rim to Rim, Died Halfway Through
Ranjith Varma of Virginia becomes 9th person to die inside Grand Canyon this year
- Another hiker has died amid triple-digit temperatures in Grand Canyon National Park. Ranjith Varma, a 55-year-old man from Manassas, Virginia, died Saturday while attempting a 21-mile trek from the south rim of the canyon to the north rim, a grueling journey that can take up to 15 hours, CBS News...
Teen Falls From
Aug 14, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Teen Falls From Grand Canyon's North Rim, Survives
Boy has already been discharged from hospital after scary incident
- The father of a boy who fell almost 100 feet from the Grand Canyon's north rim feared the worst when he heard what had happened—but miraculously, teenager Wyatt Kauffman survived. "We're just lucky we're bringing our kid home in a car in the front seat....
Biden: New Monument Is
'Good for the Country's Soul'
Aug 8, 2023 5:32 PM CDT
Biden: New Monument Is 'Good for the Country's Soul'
Move doubles Grand Canyon protected area
- Declaring it good "not only for Arizona but for the planet," President Biden on Tuesday signed a national monument designation for the greater Grand Canyon, turning the decades-long visions of Native American tribes and environmentalists into reality. Coming as Biden is on a three-state Western trip, the move...
Man Fatally Plunges From
Grand Canyon's Skywalk
Jun 19, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Man Fatally Plunges From Grand Canyon's Skywalk
33-year-old's body was recovered
- A 33-year-old man fell to his death from the Grand Canyon's Skywalk earlier this month, authorities say. The unidentified man went over the edge at the Grand Canyon West Skywalk around 9am on June 5, AZCentral reports. The U-shaped glass bridge, which does have glass fences that are more...
Grand Canyon Visitor Dies
Attempting Ambitious Day Hike
May 25, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
Grand Canyon Visitor Dies Attempting Ambitious Day Hike
Indiana woman was found without a pulse along Bright Angel Trail
- A Grand Canyon hiker was found without a pulse after trying to make it the Colorado River and back in a day. Officials received a report of an "unresponsive hiker" on the Bright Angel Trail, one of the most popular trails through the canyon, at 9pm on May 14,...
91-Year-Old Is Oldest
Person to Cross Grand Canyon
Mar 27, 2023 3:31 AM CDT
91-Year-Old Is Oldest Person to Cross Grand Canyon
He's the oldest person to cross it rim-to-rim on foot, which he did in 5 days
- The latest evidence that age ain't nothin' but a number: John Jepkema has been honored for crossing the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim on foot when he was 91 years old, becoming the oldest person ever to do so. The Colorado man, whose 2019 feat was recently acknowledged by Guinness World...
Social Media Star Fined
for Grand Canyon Golf Stunt
Dec 2, 2022 8:15 AM CST
Social Media Star Fined for Grand Canyon Golf Stunt
Katie Sigmond hit ball into canyon, and most of her club followed
- A TikTok star who hit a golf ball into the Grand Canyon—apparently without even shouting "Fore!"—has been fined for what the park says was a dangerous stunt. Katie Sigmond, a 20-year-old who has around 7 million followers on TikTok and 3 million on Instagram, posted...
'Long Overdue' Name Change
Coming to Grand Canyon
Nov 22, 2022 10:30 AM CST
'Long Overdue' Name Change Coming to Grand Canyon
Popular Indian Garden campground to become Havasupai Gardens in honor of tribe
- A popular camping spot at Grand Canyon National Park is shedding its "offensive" name. Indian Garden, a camping and rest area reached from the South Rim via the Bright Angel Trail, is to be renamed Havasupai Gardens in honor of the Native American tribe that was forcibly removed from...
Tourists Had to Spend Night
in Grand Canyon Caverns
Oct 25, 2022 7:21 AM CDT
Tourists Had to Spend Night in Grand Canyon Caverns
Fortunately, there was a motel suite down there when the elevator broke
- Some Grand Canyon tourists got an unexpectedly long stay down in the caverns. An elevator broke at the tourist site on Sunday, leaving five visitors stuck 200 feet underground until their rescue on Monday night, reports ABC15 . It's not as bad as it sounds, however: This being a tourist...
On Day 5 of River Trip,
Sep 12, 2022 1:28 AM CDT
On Day 5 of River Trip, Tragedy Strikes
Motorboat flipped in rapids of Colorado River at Grand Canyon
- A 67-year-old man was killed and four other people injured Saturday afternoon when a motorboat flipped on the Colorado River inside Grand Canyon National Park. At Bedrock Rapid, a rocky island splitting the river into two channels, the boat hit a rock and flipped, 12 News reports. The boat was...
Grand Canyon Search
for Missing Man
Turns Up 2 Bodies
Sep 16, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Grand Canyon Search for Missing Man Turns Up 2 Bodies
2nd body is believed to be that of a man who wasn't reported missing in the park
- Crews searching for a missing man at Grand Canyon National Park made an unexpected discovery this summer: the remains of another person. They are believed to be those of Scott Walsh, who was last seen stepping off a shuttle bus at the park's South Rim in 2015, per the...
Hiker Plunges 50 Feet to His
Death at Grand Canyon
Sep 5, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Hiker Plunges 50 Feet to His Death at Grand Canyon
It's been a deadly year at the park
- A Grand Canyon hiker died Aug. 28 after plunging 50 feet while navigating a narrow path. Per abc15.com , the hiker has been identified as 48-year-old David Colburn of Oregon. Per Backpacker.com , teams of rescuers responded but were forced to suspend the search as darkness descended and due to...
After Death in Grand Canyon,
a Warning From Park Rangers
in case you missed it
Jun 27, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
After Death in Grand Canyon, a Warning From Park Rangers
53-year-old Michelle Meder of Ohio apparently succumbed to extreme heat while hiking
- Temperatures on certain trails at Grand Canyon National Park can reach 120 degrees Fahrenheit even in the shade, which is why park rangers continually warn visitors to avoid hiking during the hottest part of the day and to take other precautions. Those warnings were underscored by a tragedy over the...
Man Accused of Bringing
153 Hikers to Grand Canyon
May 6, 2021 9:50 AM CDT
Man Accused of Bringing 153 Hikers to Grand Canyon
Alleged organizer of illegal hike during pandemic is now facing criminal charges
- A 150-person hike of the Grand Canyon isn't allowed in any case, and certainly not in the midst of a brutal pandemic. That's a rule a Washington state man knew and ignored, according to a criminal complaint filed in Arizona federal court. Joseph Mount, 34, is facing five...
45K Apply to Shoot
Grand Canyon Bison.
There Are 12 Spots
May 6, 2021 1:00 AM CDT
45K Apply to Shoot Grand Canyon Bison. There Are 12 Spots
'Just keeping my fingers crossed that I'm one out of 12'
- More than 45,000 people are vying for one of a dozen spots to help thin a herd of bison at Grand Canyon National Park. The odds aren't as good as drawing a state tag to hunt the massive animals beyond the boundaries of the Grand Canyon, but they'...
to Her Death
Jul 5, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
Grand Canyon Hiker Falls to Her Death Taking Photos
59-year-old was off the trail, officials say
- A woman taking photographs during an off-trail hike at the Grand Canyon fell 100 feet to her death, park officials said. She was taking photos with family members,
reports. Maria A. Salgado Lopez, 59, of Scottsdale, Arizona, accidentally stepped off the rim just west of Mather Point, officials...
Apr 2, 2020 1:05 AM CDT
Grand Canyon Closes Indefinitely
'It is a relief to a lot of the people in the park and community members'
- The Grand Canyon closed indefinitely to visitors Wednesday, joining other national parks seeking to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. Staff at the Grand Canyon had been shutting down visitors services piecemeal as the federal government initially rebuffed its request to shutter completely. On Tuesday, visitors still had access to...
Man Last Seen Dec. 22
Found in Grand Canyon
Jan 3, 2020 7:50 AM CST
Man Last Seen Dec. 22 Found in Grand Canyon
Texas' Martin O'Connor was spotted on one of the more difficult trails
- A Texas man reported missing on Dec. 22 was spotted by hikers late Wednesday on one of the most challenging established trails in the Grand Canyon's South Rim and rescued the next day. Martin O'Connor, 58, was seen on the New Hance Trail, which leads down the canyon...
Woman, 70, Falls
to Her Death in
Apr 24, 2019 3:12 AM CDT
Woman, 70, Falls to Her Death in Grand Canyon
This was the 3rd falling death in 4 weeks
- A third visitor in four weeks has fallen to their death in the Grand Canyon. Grand Canyon National Park authorities say the 70-year-old woman died after falling around 200 feet at the canyon's South Rim, NBC reports. The park said in a statement that rangers received a report around...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Thanks to Taylor Swift, Heinz Selling 'Ketchup and Seemingly Ranch'
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.