Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
May 1, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
Tennis Stars Disagree With Wimbledon on Barring Russians
Nadal, Djokovic say it's unfair to blame athletes for war in Ukraine
- Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic criticized Wimbledon's decision to exclude Russian and Belarus players from this year's tournament following Russia's invasion of Ukraine. The two tennis greats made the statements Sunday, the AP reports. "I think it's very unfair of (on) my Russian tennis mates,...
to Report on
Apr 20, 2022 1:48 PM CDT
Russia Reacts to Report on Wimbledon Ban
Russian, Belarusian athletes have officially been barred from participating
This story has been updated throughout with the official announcement of the ban.
Tennis players from Russia and Belarus have been banned from playing at Wimbledon in late June—and the Kremlin expressed its displeasure as soon as it heard a ban was in the cards. Spokesman Dmitry Peskov blasted...
Feb 15, 2022 7:19 AM CST
Djokovic: I'll Scrap Wimbledon Over Forced Vaccination
World's No. 1 men's tennis player says he'd give up future titles: 'That is the price that I'm willing to pay'
- Novak Djokovic's Aussie saga has passed, but a month after his deportation after showing up unvaccinated to play in the Australian Open, the Serbian tennis star says he'd give up future trophies rather than undergo forced vaccination. "Yes, that is the price that I'm willing to...
Bank Leader Resigns
Over COVID Breach
Jan 17, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Bank Leader Resigns Over COVID Breach
Credit Suisse Chairman Antonio Horta-Osorio reportedly traveled despite quarantine rules
- Credit Suisse said Monday that its chairman has resigned following an internal investigation that reportedly found he violated quarantine rules intended to fight the COVID-19 pandemic, per the AP . The resignation of Antonio Horta-Osorio, a British-Portuguese national who took the job barely eight months ago, was announced shortly after midnight...
Federer, Nadal Atop
Grand Slam List
Jul 11, 2021 12:09 PM CDT
Djokovic Joins Federer, Nadal Atop Grand Slam List
34-year-old bounces back for 4-set Wimbledon victory
- Novak Djokovic tied Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal by claiming his 20th Grand Slam title Sunday, coming back to beat Matteo Berrettini 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 in the Wimbledon final. The No. 1-ranked Djokovic earned a third consecutive championship at the All England Club and sixth overall, the AP...
Woman to Rule
Men's Final for
the First Time
Jul 10, 2021 3:50 PM CDT
Woman to Rule Men's Final for the First Time
Marija Cicak will umpire Wimbledon's Djokovic-Berrettini championship match
- There will be a female chair umpire for the Wimbledon men's singles final for the first time in the history of a tournament first played in 1877. Marija Cicak, a 43-year-old from Croatia, will officiate Sunday when Novak Djokovic faces Matteo Berrettini for the championship at the All England...
She's Australia's First
Wimbledon Champ in Decades
Jul 10, 2021 12:15 PM CDT
She's Australia's First Wimbledon Champ in Decades
Ash Barty wins the Grand Slam
- Ash Barty got off to a perfect start in the Wimbledon final by collecting the first 14 points, then needed to hold off a comeback bid before beating Karolina Pliskova 6-3, 6-7 (4), 6-3 on Saturday for her second Grand Slam title. The top-seeded Barty adds this championship to the...
Teen Ranked 338
Decides to Enjoy Run
Jul 3, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
Teen Ranked 338 Decides to Enjoy Run
Emma Raducanu reaches Round of 16 in her Wimbledon debut
- On Friday, Emma Raducanu asked if she could sit for a moment at Wimbledon's empty No. 1 Court, where she was scheduled to play the next day. The British 18-year-old wanted to get a feel for the venue and for her place in the tournament, the
Jun 29, 2021 3:13 PM CDT
Serena Williams Slips, Quits Wimbledon
Champion was seeking her 24th Grand Slam title
- A tearful Serena Williams retired from her opening Wimbledon match Tuesday, limping off Center Court after slipping on the grass while planting her leg for a forehand return. She was in the fifth game of the first set against Aliaksandra Sasnovich when she was injured. Williams took a medical timeout...
Jun 27, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Serena Williams Won't Play in Tokyo
Tennis star doesn't elaborate on reasons but had expressed concern about leaving her daughter behind
- Serena Williams, who's already won four gold medals, said Sunday she's not going to Tokyo for the Summer Olympics. "I'm actually not on the Olympic list, not that I'm aware of," she said to reporters Sunday at Wimbledon in London. "If so, then...
'Cultural Institution' Canceled
for First Time Since WWII
Apr 1, 2020 11:45 AM CDT
'Cultural Institution' Canceled for First Time Since WWII
No Wimbledon this year
- The UN has likened the coronavirus pandemic to a world war . No major surprise, then, that Wimbledon has just been canceled for the first time since World War II, reports the AFP . In fact, since its 1877 start, the only time the tournament has been previously called off was during...
Epic Wimbledon Final
Went to 5th-Set Tiebreaker
Jul 14, 2019 1:15 PM CDT
Epic Wimbledon Final Went to 5th-Set Tiebreaker
Djokovic saved 2 match points in thrilling victory
- Novak Djokovic became the first man in 71 years to win Wimbledon after facing match points in the final, coming back to beat Roger Federer in an unprecedented fifth-set tiebreaker Sunday, the AP reports. By barely emerging to win 7-6 (5), 1-6, 7-6 (4), 4-6, 13-12 (3) after nearly five...
Meghan Markle Called 'Diva'
After Wimbledon Request
Jul 10, 2019 6:42 AM CDT
Meghan Markle Called 'Diva' After Wimbledon Request
Duchess of Sussex is once more in unwanted spotlight with pleas for privacy
- First Meghan Markle and Prince Harry irked taxpayers with their home redo . Then they set off an "almighty storm" with an ultra-private christening for baby Archie. Now Markle is being accused of harboring a "secretive, high-maintenance attitude," and making "diva-ish demands" after apparently trying to get...
Draw Claims of 'Privilege'
Jul 9, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
Wimbledon Fines Draw Claims of 'Privilege'
Fabio Fognini given slap on the wrist for saying club should be bombed
- "I wish a bomb would explode on this club. A bomb should explode here," Italian tennis star Fabio Fognini announced during his third-round loss at Wimbledon on Saturday, per Yahoo . The 10th-ranked player, apparently upset about the condition of the grass court, was subsequently fined nearly $3,000—...
Teenager's Amazing Run
at Wimbledon Is Over
Jul 8, 2019 10:40 AM CDT
Teenager's Amazing Run at Wimbledon Is Over
American Coco Gauff, 15, loses in the 4th round
- She defeated her idol at Wimbledon, then dazzled some more by vanquishing another opponent with an amazing comeback —all at the age of 15. But the remarkable run of Cori "Coco" Gauff ended Monday in a fourth-round loss to Romania's Simona Halep, reports ESPN . Halep, who was...
Jul 5, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
15-Year-Old's Comeback Again Stuns Wimbledon
Coco Gauff moves to fourth round
- After already dispatching Venus Williams and Magdalena Rybarikova, a 2017 semifinalist, Coco Gauff pulled off another remarkable upset Friday at Wimbledon. The 15-year-old American defeated Polona Hercog of Slovenia, 3-6, 7-6 (7), 7-5, to reach the fourth round of the tournament, ESPN reports. Gauff, the youngest player to qualify for...
Huge Wimbledon Upset:
Jul 1, 2019 3:15 PM CDT
Huge Wimbledon Upset: 15-Year-Old Beats Venus Williams
The future is bright for Cori 'Coco' Gauff, Williams says
- Cori "Coco" Gauff was already, at 15, the youngest player of the Open era to advance to Wimbledon's main draw through qualifying rather than direct entry—and in her tournament debut Monday, the teen bested none other than five-time Wimbledon champ Venus Williams, CNN reports. Williams, who has...
to Qualify for
Still in Shock'
Jun 28, 2019 12:58 PM CDT
Youngest Ever to Qualify for Wimbledon: 'I'm Still in Shock'
15-year-old Cori 'Coco' Gauff didn't get a wild-card slot—she earned her place with qualifying win
- When Venus Williams faces off in the first round of Wimbledon on Monday, she'll be a little more seasoned than her opponent—nearly a quarter of a century more. That's because the 39-year-old tennis star will be playing the youngest person ever to make the tournament, not through...
Tearful Andy Murray
Makes Big Announcement
Jan 11, 2019 2:48 AM CST
Tearful Andy Murray Makes Big Announcement
Australian Open could be his last tournament
- Andy Murray is still hoping to make it to one more Wimbledon tournament before his problematic hip forces him into retirement. For now, he's only committing to the Australian Open. In an emotional news conference Friday, when a tearful Murray had to leave the room shortly after his first...
Final-Set Tiebreaks Coming
to Wimbledon in 2019
Oct 19, 2018 5:29 PM CDT
Final-Set Tiebreaks Coming to Wimbledon in 2019
Decision comes after a six hour, 35 minute match this year
- Starting next year, Wimbledon will have tiebreaks when the score reaches 12-12 in the final set, ESPN reports. The change is "informed by a thorough review of match data from the past 20 championships" and consulting with players and coaches, the All England Lawn Tennis Club says in a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
92 Tons of Popular Topping Recalled
Sentencing in Flight Attendant Assault a 'Very Strong Message'
The Clues Were Ingenious, but Staging the Hunt Would Kill Him
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other No-Shows at NRA Meeting
Once the Vatican's No. 2 Man, His Legacy Was Marred
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.