Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Alcaraz Dethrones Djokovic
Jul 16, 2023 2:35 PM CDT
Alcaraz Dethrones Djokovic
20-year-old tops defending champion in match topping 4½ hours
- Carlos Alcaraz wanted another shot at Novak Djokovic, saying it would make winning a Wimbledon championship more special. Alcaraz got his chance on Sunday. He put aside a poor start and surged down the stretch to end Djokovic's 34-match winning streak at London's All England Club, edging him...
Victory Is a First
Jul 15, 2023 11:50 AM CDT
Vondrousova's Wimbledon Victory Is a First
Jabeur calls finals defeat 'the most painful loss of my career'
- Marketa Vondrousova came to the All England Club a year ago unable to play tennis at all. She had a cast on her surgically repaired left wrist, so her visit was limited to sightseeing around London with her sister and cheering for a friend who was competing at Wimbledon. This...
Hear the 'Most Wimbledon
Jul 11, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Hear the 'Most Wimbledon Warning Ever'
Umpire asks spectators not to uncork Champagne as a player is serving
- Where and when to pop your Champagne is such a Wimbledon problem. For example, someone got the timing wrong over the weekend at the oldest Grand Slam tournament, where the bubbly helps wash down the strawberries and cream, per the AP . "Ladies and gentlemen, please, if you are opening...
Jul 10, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
Unheralded American Is All Surprises at Wimbledon
Chris Eubanks advances to quarterfinals
- Until about a week ago, even Chris Eubanks did not really believe he was capable of this sort of thing—of beating the world's best tennis players at Wimbledon, of reaching the quarterfinals at any Grand Slam tournament, of winning match after match after match on grass courts. Things...
Belarusian Player Booed
Off Court at Wimbledon
Jul 10, 2023 12:01 AM CDT
Belarusian Player Booed Off Court at Wimbledon
Ukraine's Elina Svitolina beat Belarus's Victoria Azarenka
- After Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina beat Victoria Azarenka of Belarus Sunday, Azarenka was "loudly" booed off the court, the
reports. The BBC notes the match was a "thriller"—not only did Svitolina go in as the underdog, there's also the fact that Belarus...
Wimbledon: Stop Hooking Up
in Our 'Quiet Rooms'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 8, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Wimbledon: Stop Hooking Up in Our 'Quiet Rooms'
Tournament organizer warns patrons to stop having sex in rooms meant for reflection
- Wimbledon has so-called quiet rooms at the stadium complex, intended to be used by visitors for, well, quiet things like prayer and meditation. Problem being, as the
reports, that said rooms are being used for decidedly unquiet purposes, with visitors to last year's tournament reporting people emerging with...
Venus, Oldest at Wimbledon
This Year, Has 'Painful' Day
Jul 3, 2023 3:45 PM CDT
Venus, Oldest at Wimbledon This Year, Has 'Painful' Day
'I got killed by the grass,' jokes the 43-year-old after slip leads to defeat
- As Venus Williams entered Centre Court for her 24th Wimbledon appearance at age 43, she was greeted by a standing ovation. And once her first-round match against Elina Svitolina began, Williams played like a throwback version of herself, per the AP . Quickly, she was a point from a 3-0 lead...
Wimbledon Adding AI
Commentary to Matches
Jun 22, 2023 7:00 PM CDT
Wimbledon Adding AI Commentary to Matches
Tournament teams with IBM for AI-powered chat on highlight reels
- Wimbledon's first championship was held in 1877, and today it remains not only one of tennis' oldest tournaments but a vibrant piece of British living history. So the
reporting that artificial intelligence is entering the chat as part of match commentary at Wimbledon may be somewhat surprising. The...
Alters Rules on
Nov 18, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Wimbledon Alters Rules on Female Underwear
Colored undergarments will be accepted following complaints related to menstruation
- It's official: Female players no longer have to wear white underwear at Wimbledon. Tournament organizers announced the change to the typical all-white uniform on Thursday in response to concerns about menstruation. Beginning next year, female players "will have the option of wearing colored undershorts if they choose,"...
Wimbledon's Russian Ban
Leaves a Tangle
Jul 11, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Wimbledon's Russian Ban Leaves a Tangle
Djokovic falls in rankings despite winning, and 2 nations claim Rybakina
- "Exclusion is fraught with issues," said a former International Olympic Committee executive. That's becoming clearer for Wimbledon. Under pressure from the UK government because of the war in Ukraine, this year's tournament barred players from Russia and Belarus. The WTA and ATP then decided to not...
After Losing to
Djokovic, a 'Final
Act of Defiance'
Jul 11, 2022 7:36 AM CDT
After Losing to Djokovic, a 'Final Act of Defiance' From Kyrgios
Aussie wears red cap to trophy ceremony, breaching strict all-white dress code
- Nick Kyrgios gave the crowd quite a show during the men's singles final Sunday at Wimbledon. The show wasn't over, however, after the 27-year-old Aussie lost to Serbia's Novak Djokovic, as he took part in a "final act of defiance." Kyrgios received a second-place trophy,...
Steady Djokovic Outplays
Volatile Kyrgios at Wimbledon
Jul 10, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Steady Djokovic Outplays Volatile Kyrgios at Wimbledon
Champion wins his seventh straight All England Club title, fourth in a row
- Winning Wimbledon doesn't get old, Novak Djokovic says. And his insight on the issue is nearly unique, after he won his seventh men's title in London on Sunday and his fourth straight, ESPN reports. Pete Sampras also won seven championships; only Roger Federer, with eight, has more. "...
Jul 9, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
Wimbledon Final Features Firsts
Russian-born Rybakina brings Kazakhstan its first title
- Elena Rybakina resumed her rise through tennis, which was interrupted by the pandemic, on Saturday with a 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 victory over Ons Jabeur to become a Wimbledon women's champion. The 23-year-old, who was ranked 23rd in the world coming into the tournament, remained calm and composed throughout the...
a Very Rare Late Withdrawal
Jul 7, 2022 2:51 PM CDT
At Wimbledon, a Very Rare Late Withdrawal
Rafael Nadal bows out before semifinal because of injury
- Nick Kyrgios just advanced to his first Wimbledon finals, without picking up his racket. His would-be semifinal opponent, Rafael Nadal, announced Thursday that he was dropping out because of a torn abdominal muscle, reports ESPN . The AP notes that it's the first time since 1931 that a male player...
'Sounds of Intimacy' Join
Applause at Wimbledon
Jul 6, 2022 7:29 AM CDT
'Sounds of Intimacy' Join Applause at Wimbledon
People are allegedly getting it on in new 'quiet room' designed for 'meditation, prayer, or reflection'
- "Wimbledon" and "sounds of intimacy" aren't two terms you'd normally associate with each other, but at this year's tennis tournament in London, they've become amorously intertwined. To be more blunt, the Daily Beast puts it thusly: A new "quiet room" at the Wimbledon...
Nick Kyrgios Faces Charge for
Assaulting Former Girlfriend
Jul 5, 2022 6:39 PM CDT
Nick Kyrgios Faces Charge for Assaulting Former Girlfriend
First, he will appear on court for the Wimbledon quarterfinals
- Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios has been ordered to appear in a Canberra court on Aug. 2 for allegedly assaulting his ex-girlfriend. CNN confirmed through Australian police that the 27-year-old faces "one charge of common assault following an incident in December 2021." The news was first reported by...
Wimbledon to Players, Coaches:
Don't Buy 27 Yogurts on Us
Jul 5, 2022 6:17 AM CDT
Wimbledon to Players, Coaches: Don't Buy 27 Yogurts on Us
All England Club emails request that everyone be more 'judicious' in how they spend food allowance
- Playing on the professional tennis circuit surely must work up an appetite, and at Wimbledon, the players there are allotted nearly $110 a day for fare to fill their grumbling tummies. Some have apparently been using their food allowance to the max, however, and a warning has now been issued,...
World No. 1 Falls
for First Time in 38 Matches
Jul 2, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
World No. 1 Falls for First Time in 38 Matches
French Open champion Swiatek and runner-up Gauff are now out of Wimbledon
- Coming into the third round of Wimbledon, Iga Swiatek had won 37 matches in a row and six straight tournaments—including the French Open a month ago. That turned around with a 6-4, 6-2 victory Saturday in London by Alize Cornet of France, who's ranked 37th in the world....
Loses to World No. 115
Jun 28, 2022 5:16 PM CDT
Serena Williams Loses to World No. 115
US star exits Wimbledon in first round
- Serena Williams has lost her first singles match in nearly a year, getting beat by 115th-ranked Harmony Tan of France in a third-set tiebreaker at Wimbledon. Williams was two points from victory but could not finish the job and bowed out with a 7-5, 1-6, 7-6 (10-7) defeat on Tuesday...
Have Shots to
Play in US Open
Jun 25, 2022 3:15 PM CDT
Djokovic Won't Have Shots to Play in US Open
That decision would make Wimbledon the defending champion's last Grand Slam tournament of year
- Novak Djokovic knows that, as things stand now, Wimbledon will be his last Grand Slam tournament of 2022, because he will not be able to play in the US Open—he has not received any COVID-19 shots and can't enter the US as an unvaccinated foreigner. "That,"...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.