Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Jul 5, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
15-Year-Old's Comeback Again Stuns Wimbledon
Coco Gauff moves to fourth round
- After already dispatching Venus Williams and Magdalena Rybarikova, a 2017 semifinalist, Coco Gauff pulled off another remarkable upset Friday at Wimbledon. The 15-year-old American defeated Polona Hercog of Slovenia, 3-6, 7-6 (7), 7-5, to reach the fourth round of the tournament, ESPN reports. Gauff, the youngest player to qualify for...
Huge Wimbledon Upset:
Jul 1, 2019 3:15 PM CDT
Huge Wimbledon Upset: 15-Year-Old Beats Venus Williams
The future is bright for Cori 'Coco' Gauff, Williams says
- Cori "Coco" Gauff was already, at 15, the youngest player of the Open era to advance to Wimbledon's main draw through qualifying rather than direct entry—and in her tournament debut Monday, the teen bested none other than five-time Wimbledon champ Venus Williams, CNN reports. Williams, who has...
to Qualify for
Still in Shock'
Jun 28, 2019 12:58 PM CDT
Youngest Ever to Qualify for Wimbledon: 'I'm Still in Shock'
15-year-old Cori 'Coco' Gauff didn't get a wild-card slot—she earned her place with qualifying win
- When Venus Williams faces off in the first round of Wimbledon on Monday, she'll be a little more seasoned than her opponent—nearly a quarter of a century more. That's because the 39-year-old tennis star will be playing the youngest person ever to make the tournament, not through...
Tearful Andy Murray
Makes Big Announcement
Jan 11, 2019 2:48 AM CST
Tearful Andy Murray Makes Big Announcement
Australian Open could be his last tournament
- Andy Murray is still hoping to make it to one more Wimbledon tournament before his problematic hip forces him into retirement. For now, he's only committing to the Australian Open. In an emotional news conference Friday, when a tearful Murray had to leave the room shortly after his first...
Final-Set Tiebreaks Coming
to Wimbledon in 2019
Oct 19, 2018 5:29 PM CDT
Final-Set Tiebreaks Coming to Wimbledon in 2019
Decision comes after a six hour, 35 minute match this year
- Starting next year, Wimbledon will have tiebreaks when the score reaches 12-12 in the final set, ESPN reports. The change is "informed by a thorough review of match data from the past 20 championships" and consulting with players and coaches, the All England Lawn Tennis Club says in a...
Vowed to Skip
Jul 15, 2018 11:28 AM CDT
Djokovic Had Vowed to Skip Wimbledon. Good Thing He Didn't
Serbian star comes back after early French Open exit
- Novak Djokovic was disconsolate and injured when he left Wimbledon a year ago, quitting during his quarterfinal because of a painful right elbow that would need surgery, the AP reports. Djokovic was so dispirited by his upset exit at the French Open last month that he vowed, in the heat...
the Final in
Jul 14, 2018 12:00 PM CDT
Serena Loses the Final in Straight Sets
Angelique Kerber wins title as Novak Djokovic advances for final with Kevin Anderson
- Angelique Kerber won her first Wimbledon championship by stopping Serena Williams' bid for a record-equaling 24th Grand Slam title, the AP reports. Kerber played cleanly as can be, covering the court so well and picking her spots for big shots, in a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Williams in Saturday's...
He Has a Knack for Tennis
Marathons. This Time, He Lost
Jul 13, 2018 3:07 PM CDT
He Has a Knack for Tennis Marathons. This Time, He Lost
American John Isner is out after 6-hour-plus match with Kevin Anderson
- Tennis fans will appreciate the final scoring line: 7-6 (6), 6-7 (5), 6-7 (9), 6-4, 26-24. It adds up to the longest semifinal in Wimbledon history and the second-longest match there overall, reports ESPN . In the end, South Africa's Kevin Anderson prevailed over American John Isner in the 6-hour,...
Jul 7, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
Women's Top Seed Stunned at Wimbledon
Hsieh Su-Wei of Taiwan knocks out Simona Halep
- Top-ranked Simona Halep couldn't capitalize on her chances and was knocked out by Hsieh Su-Wei of Taiwan at Wimbledon on Saturday, losing 3-6, 6-4, 7-5 in the third round, the AP reports. Halep served for the match at 5-3 in the final set and had a match point in...
One Way, Men
Jul 5, 2018 11:38 AM CDT
Wimbledon's Women Are Referenced One Way, Men Another
Some want to know why the marital status of female players continues to be cited
- Mrs. JM Lloyd and Mrs. LW King aren't household names, but you likely know who they are. Those are the official monikers bestowed upon Wimbledon champs Chris Evert and Billie Jean King by the All England Club, host of the tennis tourney since 1877 —a result of what...
Martina 'Angry' BBC Pays Her
10 Times Less Than McEnroe
Mar 20, 2018 7:44 AM CDT
Martina 'Angry' BBC Pays Her 10 Times Less Than McEnroe
'It's still the good old boys' network,' tennis star says of Wimbledon pay disparity
- The BBC has exposed a gender pay gap taking place within … itself. And among the women getting the short end of the stick is tennis great Martina Navratilova, who said she was thrown to find out she was getting paid 10 times less than John McEnroe by the broadcaster...
Champ Dies of
Cancer at 49
Nov 20, 2017 1:33 AM CST
'98 Wimbledon Champ Dies of Cancer at 49
Jana Novotna won 24 singles titles
- The Women's Tennis Association says 1998 Wimbledon champion Jana Novotna has died at the age of 49. The women's tennis body says Novotna died Sunday after a long battle with cancer, the AP reports. The WTA made the announcement on Monday. Her family confirmed her death to the...
3 Wimbledon Matches
May Have Been Fixed
Jul 20, 2017 6:04 AM CDT
3 Wimbledon Matches May Have Been Fixed
Tennis watchdog group is investigating
- A report last year warned that match-fixing was a problem in tennis. But at Wimbledon? The sport's independent watchdog group said Wednesday that three matches during this year's event seemed a little fishy and are being investigated, reports
. The Tennis Integrity Unit didn't name names,...
Federer Makes History
Jul 16, 2017 10:37 AM CDT
Federer Makes History at Wimbledon
The Swiss great wins it for the 8th time, a record
- Roger Federer's wait for No. 8 at Wimbledon is over. Federer won his eighth title at the All England Club and 19th major trophy overall, capping a marvelous fortnight in which he never dropped a set by overwhelming Marin Cilic 6-3, 6-1, 6-4 on Sunday in a lopsided final...
Nadal Is Out
Jul 10, 2017 5:03 PM CDT
In Upset, Nadal Is Out at Wimbledon
Rafael Nadal loses to 16th-seeded Giles Muller
- First, Rafael Nadal erased a two-set deficit. Then, he erased four match points. Nadal could not, however, erase the fifth. After digging himself out of difficult situations over and over during the course of a riveting encounter that lasted more than 4½ hours, Nadal suddenly faltered, getting broken in the...
With Being 'Bored'
Jul 5, 2017 7:36 AM CDT
Player Blames Wimbledon Loss With Being 'Bored'
Bernard Tomic's statement that 'nothing motivates' is getting blasted
- "If you can't get motivated at Wimbledon, it's time to find another job." That, per the BBC , is the disgusted reaction of tennis great Martina Navratilova upon hearing that Aussie player Bernard Tomic shrugged off his loss to Mischa Zverev at Wimbledon on Tuesday by citing...
Goes Speechless When
Asked About Fatal Crash
Jul 3, 2017 12:49 PM CDT
Venus Williams Goes Speechless When Asked About Fatal Crash
Reporter brought it up during Wimbledon press conference
- Venus Williams broke down during a press conference Monday when she was asked about the fatal car crash she was involved in last month. ESPN has video of Williams' response during the press conference that followed her winning her opening match at Wimbledon. "There are really no words to...
Mom: Wimbledon Player
Was Poisoned With Rat Pee
Aug 11, 2016 6:44 AM CDT
Mom: Wimbledon Player Was Poisoned With Rat Pee
Cops investigating after teenage British player spent 4 days in intensive care
- Was a teenage Wimbledon player poisoned with rat urine? Police are investigating claims that 18-year-old British player Gabriella Taylor, who abandoned her quarterfinal match against American player Kayla Day last month after becoming ill, was given food or drink contaminated with a potentially deadly bacteria, the
reports. Taylor initially...
Jul 12, 2016 8:29 AM CDT
Brexit Cost Serena Williams Almost $400K
Low British pound affects Wimbledon prize
- Serena Williams may be celebrating her 22nd Grand Slam title win at Wimbledon on Saturday, but she's probably cursing Brexit. Had last month's Brexit vote not sent the British pound into a nose dive, Williams' £2 million prize money would have been worth close to $3 million,...
Murray Repeats at Wimbledon
Jul 10, 2016 11:03 AM CDT
Murray Repeats at Wimbledon
Britain finally wins at something
- After Britain famously endured a 77-year wait between Wimbledon men's champions, Andy Murray has given the host country a pair of titles in quick succession. Murray dulled booming serves with quick-reflex returns, played impressively mistake-free tennis while coming up with daring passing shots and beat Milos Raonic 6-4, 7-6...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Radio Station Abruptly Starts Playing Same Song on a Loop
Emmett Till's Family Finds 1955 Warrant, Calls for Arrest
Donald Trump No Longer in Contempt
Judge Declares Florida Abortion Law Unconstitutional
Suspect in Star Cyclist's Murder Is Caught
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.