Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In One Week, Late Night
Could Take a Hard Hit
Apr 24, 2023 1:57 PM CDT
In One Week, Late Night Could Take a Hard Hit
Looming Hollywood writers strike will affect talk shows, 'SNL' first if deal isn't reached by May 1
- May 1 is the deadline for Hollywood writers, represented by the Writers Guild of America, to reach a contract agreement with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, and if no such deal is struck, the late-night TV arena will be the first to say goodbye to new episodes,...
by Capitol Cops
Jun 18, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Colbert Producers, Puppet Arrested by Capitol Cops
Robert Smigel, voice of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog puppet, said to be among the 7 detained
- It's been some time since Triumph the Insult Comic Dog has made headlines, but he's now back in the spotlight. The AP reports that seven staffers from Stephen Colbert's
were arrested on Capitol Hill Thursday night, and among those detained, per a list seen by...
on Gun Rules:
'This Is Now
May 26, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Kimmel on Gun Rules: 'This Is Now Our Fault'
Late-night hosts tackle the mass shooting in Texas
- Late-night hosts dug into the Texas mass shooting during their Wednesday monologues, often with emotional pleas:
He said he knew when he started his show he'd have days in which he'd have to talk about school shootings before segueing into lighter fare. He added that he
Colbert's Show to Take
a Big Step Next Month
May 24, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Colbert's Show to Take a Big Step Next Month
Late-night host to return to live in-studio tapings with vaccinated audience starting June 14
- CBS said Monday that Stephen Colbert's late-night show will return to doing live episodes on June 14, with a vaccinated audience in New York's Ed Sullivan Theater.
The Late Show
, late night's top-rated entertainment program, produced 205 episodes without a live audience for more than a year...
Late Night Takes Shots at J&J
Apr 14, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
Late Night Takes Shots at J&J
News on rare development of blood clots after vaccination catches attention of Colbert et al
- On Tuesday, the FDA and CDC recommended a "pause" of the Johnson & Johnson COVID vaccine amid reports of rare blood clotting. Six women between the ages of 18 and 48 developed clots within a few weeks after receiving the J&J dose, out of nearly 7 million doses...
Late Night Responds
to Biden's First Presser
Mar 26, 2021 7:55 AM CDT
Late Night Responds to Biden's First Presser
President, compared to an 'old-timer football coach,' takes flak on immigration
- Late night hosts joked about the president's age and finger guns as well as his predecessor Thursday following Joe Biden's first press conference since taking office. "Normally, when a 78-year-old answers an hour of questions, they're getting a physical," quipped
host Jimmy Fallon....
Mar 18, 2021 8:01 AM CDT
Late Night Got Somber on Wednesday
Hosts speak about the Georgia shootings, racism
- There wasn’t much to laugh about Wednesday as late night hosts took on the Atlanta-area shootings that left eight people dead, including six Asian women. The
's Trevor Noah noted his frustration at the shooter's claim that he wasn't motivated by racism . "Your...
Late Night Has
on Royal Hubbub
Mar 10, 2021 8:47 AM CST
Late Night Has Some Thoughts on Royal Hubbub
Colbert, Fallon, Kimmel, and Meyers tag-team against Buckingham Palace, Piers Morgan
- Buckingham Palace finally spoke up on Tuesday after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's interview with Oprah , noting the royals were "saddened" by the Sussexes' claims of racism and other challenges they'd faced. The palace also assured the public that those claims would be taken "very seriously"...
Late Night Blasts
Ted Cruz Photo Op
Feb 23, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Late Night Blasts Ted Cruz Photo Op
'Most people just drove away when he tried showing them his vacation photos'
- Late-night hosts who were on vacation during Ted Cruz's Cancun trip last week couldn't have been happier with the Texas senator's weekend photo op. Cruz had shared photos showing him meeting with first responders and putting water in people's vehicles with the hashtag #TexasStrong, which only...
'Anyone Else Feel Like
They Just Lost 280 Pounds?'
Jan 21, 2021 7:31 AM CST
'Anyone Else Feel Like They Just Lost 280 Pounds?'
Late night bids farewell to the Trump presidency
- "So that's what it feels like when you're not grinding your teeth." So declared an upbeat Seth Meyers on Wednesday after Joe Biden was sworn in as the 46th US president. Meyers took some time stressing the phrase "former President Trump." He "concluded...
Late Night Goes to Town
on 'End of an Error'
Jan 20, 2021 7:39 AM CST
Late Night Goes to Town on 'End of an Error'
The takeaway: 'Take him away'
- Late night hosts made no attempt to hide their glee on Tuesday night, with hours left in Donald Trump's presidency. Jimmy Kimmel called it "the end of an error" and questioned whether the presidency was worth it for Trump. "Six years ago, we were all perfectly fine...
Late Night Not Wowed by
Trump's Social Media Bans
Jan 8, 2021 8:16 AM CST
Late Night Not Wowed by Trump's Social Media Bans
'Guess who doesn't want to ban TikTok anymore'
- Late night hosts had a lot to unpack Thursday, from Joe Biden's certification as the next US president to President Trump's bans from social media. "And yet, compared to yesterday , it's a slow news day," remarked Jimmy Fallon, who called out resigning White House officials...
Mike Pence's Big Day
Gets Late-Night Preview
Jan 6, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Mike Pence's Big Day Gets Late-Night Preview
Jimmy Fallon says VP's role at election certification is glorified 'bingo caller'; others have own takes
- All eyes will be on Mike Pence on Wednesday, when the vice president will preside over a joint session of Congress to certify Joe Biden's election victory. With President Trump putting the squeeze on him to block that certification—which legal experts widely agree Pence doesn't have the...
Come 'Drop Trou'
on My Show
Dec 4, 2020 6:15 AM CST
Colbert to 3 Ex-Presidents: Come 'Drop Trou' on My Show
Late-night host extends offer for Obama, Clinton, Bush to receive COVID vaccine on the air
- Three former US presidents have offered to ease concern and get publicly inoculated to prove the safety of vetted COVID-19 vaccines. Now, at least one-late night host is taking them up on that offer. "President Bush, President Clinton, President Obama, put your antibodies where your mouth is," Stephen...
'Anxious' Jon Stewart
The Late Show
Oct 31, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
'Anxious' Jon Stewart Unloads on
The Late Show
With Election Day looming, Stewart has a lot to tell Stephen Colbert
- Jon Stewart popped up on
The Late Show
Friday night and described himself as a little stressed—and then some, the Huffington Post reports. "I'm terrified. I'm anxious, I'm lonely, I'm wishing it was 2010 again," he told host Stephen Colbert. "An election...
Kaling Makes 'Extraordinary'
Oct 9, 2020 6:27 AM CDT
Kaling Makes 'Extraordinary' Reveal on
'Office' actress welcomed 2nd child, a son, last month
- Mindy Kaling popped in remotely on the
on Thursday, and host Stephen Colbert prodded her to tell his audience about "something extraordinary that nobody knows." The big reveal from the 41-year-old
actress: She's a mom again,
reports. "I'm telling it for...
Late-Night Hosts Rip
Trump Over COVID
Oct 6, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Late-Night Hosts Rip Trump Over COVID
Seth Meyers jokes that hospital suite cost more than president's tax bill
- Late-night hosts skewered President Trump on Monday over a staged photo op meant to show him working inside Walter Reed Military Medical Hospital; his decision to ride past supporters in an SUV, potentially exposing Secret Service members to the coronavirus; and his assurance that Americans are "gonna beat" the...
Bolton to a Mocking
Colbert: 'I Couldn't
Believe It Was That Bad'
Jun 24, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Bolton to a Mocking Colbert: 'I Couldn't Believe It Was That Bad'
'Late Show' host grills former national security adviser, pokes fun at how 'naive' he was on Trump
- Former national security adviser John Bolton popped in Tuesday for a guest appearance on Stephen Colbert's
, and it probably didn't go as he'd envisioned it. Bolton, who's been making the rounds to promote his upcoming tell-all book , was grilled by an "unimpressed" Colbert,...
As Coronavirus Upends Life,
Colbert Uncovers the 'Truth'
Mar 19, 2020 8:35 AM CDT
As Coronavirus Upends Life, Colbert Uncovers the 'Truth'
'That this is one great nation, united by our belief in, and our need for, each other'
- Stephen Colbert was "live on tape from a safe distance" Wednesday, keeping up his streak of working remotely while the novel coronavirus continues to spread. And as Mashable notes, his "self-isolation monologues are getting more and more ambitious." The late-night host spoke for a full 15 minutes-plus...
This Is What Late-Night
TV Hosts Are Doing at Home
Mar 18, 2020 9:35 AM CDT
This Is What Late-Night TV Hosts Are Doing at Home
Still entertaining us, thankfully
- Like almost every other part of daily American life, late-night TV has been sent into a tailspin , though its hosts seem to have settled into their work-at-home routines.
notes that even though most late-night programs have put production on hold, several hosts posted their monologues online Tuesday, keeping the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
She Worked Her Way Up the Men's Wearhouse Ladder. Now, Jail
Young Would-Be Voters Answer Taylor Swift's Plea
He Picked Up a Bag of Soil, Was Killed by Swarm of Bees
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.