Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Manchin Says He Won't
Vote for Build Back Better
Dec 19, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Manchin Says He Won't Vote for Build Back Better
'I just can't,' West Virginia Democrat says, possibly dooming the legislation
- There's no point in Democrats making changes to President Biden's Build Back Better legislation in hopes of winning Sen. Joe Manchin's support. The West Virginia Democrat announced Sunday that he won't vote for the bill, the Hill reports. "I cannot vote to continue with this...
Musk Posts Eyebrow-Raising
Response to Sanders Tweet
Nov 15, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Musk Posts Eyebrow-Raising Response to Sanders Tweet
Tesla CEO did not like Vermont senator's directive on taxation
- Bernie Sanders has long been known for posting online about taxing the super-rich, but a tweet over the weekend irked one of those wealth holders in particular. "We must demand that the extremely wealthy pay their fair share. Period," the Vermont senator posted on Saturday. The next morning,...
Biden Gets Frank About
Status of Spending Bill
Oct 22, 2021 7:05 AM CDT
Biden Gets Frank About Status of Spending Bill
Manchin, Sanders clashed in closed-door meeting on 'social economy' bill
- According to GovTrack 's 2020 report card, Sens. Joe Manchin and Bernie Sanders are 46 places apart on the politically right-to-left scale, with Manchin at 54 and Sanders at 100. Two senators tell Axios that the men were just as far apart during a heated closed-door meeting on the...
to Hold Up
May 20, 2021 4:45 PM CDT
Sanders Tries to Hold Up Arms Sale to Israel
Senator wants a debate, at least, before the deal goes through
- On the same day that a cease-fire was announced in the Middle East, Sen. Bernie Sanders introduced a resolution to block a $735 million arms sale to Israel. "At a moment when US-made bombs are devastating Gaza, and killing women and children, we cannot simply let another huge arms...
Bid Is Rejected
Mar 5, 2021 2:05 PM CST
Bernie Sanders' Minimum Wage Bid Is Rejected
Senator's workaround to add measure to relief bill falls short
- Sen. Bernie Sanders tried again for a $15 federal minimum wage Friday but was undercut by a handful of Democrats. On a 58-42 vote—though the final count could change—the Senate rejected an attempt to slip the minimum wage increase into President Biden's $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief...
a 'Plan B' to Raise
Feb 26, 2021 3:39 PM CST
Senator Has a 'Plan B' to Raise Minimum Wage
Large corporations could face new 5% tax if pay falls below threshold
- With the door shut on raising the federal minimum wage through the COVID-19 relief bill , Democrats are looking for another route. Instead of mandating a $15 hourly wage, Sen. Ron Wyden suggests going at it another way: penalizing large corporations whose employees don't make a certain amount. The companies...
Ted Cruz Jokes About Cancun,
Mocks Mask Rules, AOC
Feb 26, 2021 2:46 PM CST
Ted Cruz Jokes About Cancun, Mocks Mask Rules, AOC
Texas senator speaks at CPAC
- Lots of people made jokes about Ted Cruz's ill-advised trip to Cancun , and on Friday, Cruz joined them. “I gotta say, Orlando is awesome! It's not as nice as Cancun, but it's nice,” Cruz said at the opening of his speech before the Conservative Political...
Mitten Merch Brings in
Big Bucks for Charity
Jan 27, 2021 4:46 PM CST
Mitten Merch Brings in Big Bucks for Charity
Bernie Sanders capitalizes on quirky memes
- About those wooly mittens that Sen. Bernie Sanders wore to the presidential inauguration, sparking endless quirky memes across social media? They've helped to raise $1.8 million in the last five days for charitable organizations in Sanders' home state of Vermont, the independent senator announced Wednesday. The sum comes...
Meme Is Now
Jan 23, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Bernie's Mittens Meme Is Now Raising Money for Charity
Senator's campaign is using viral pic on sweatshirt, with proceeds going toward Vt.'s Meals on Wheels
- The Bernie Sanders memes taking over the internet , showing him seated at President Biden's inauguration while wearing a pair of bulky artisan mittens, have now been appropriated by Sanders himself—for a good cause.
reports that the Vermont senator's campaign has snatched up the photo taken...
The Bernie Sanders
Memes Won't Stop
Jan 21, 2021 2:12 PM CST
The Bernie Sanders Memes Won't Stop
All thanks to his inauguration mittens
- One of the most enduring memes from Inauguration Day continues to revolve around Bernie Sanders' mittens. A photo of Sanders seated at the ceremony wearing mittens made by a Vermont teacher has taken on a life of its own. BuzzFeed , Mashable , Apollo magazine, and the
Burlington Free Press
, were among...
Bernie Sanders' Mittens
Were a Massive Hit
Jan 21, 2021 7:51 AM CST
Bernie Sanders' Mittens Were a Massive Hit
'There was Bernie, wearing my mittens,' says Vermont schoolteacher
- Lady Gaga wore a stunning outfit at President Biden's inauguration Wednesday, but the most talked-about item of clothing by far was Sen. Bernie Sanders' comfy mittens. Sanders wore the mittens—made by Vermont second-grade teacher Jen Ellis from repurposed wool sweaters and lined with fleece made from recycled plastic—...
One Trump, One Obama Take
Home 'Most Admired' Crowns
Dec 29, 2020 11:23 AM CST
One Trump, One Obama Take Home 'Most Admired' Crowns
Donald Trump ends Barack Obama's 12-year winning streak, while Michelle Obama wins top spot for women
- Donald Trump didn't beat Joe Biden in the election, but he can notch a win against Barack Obama. In its annual survey on the matter, Gallup pollsters asked 1,000 or so American adults to name, without being given choices, a man and a woman they most admire anywhere...
Sanders: I'll Filibuster
Over $2K Relief Checks
Dec 29, 2020 6:06 AM CST
Sanders: I'll Filibuster Over $2K Relief Checks
He wants vote on increasing the amount from $600, could keep senators from going home
- Whether Americans will get checks for $600 or $2,000 is now up to the Senate, and it looks like the next few days are going to be interesting ones in the chamber. Bernie Sanders on Monday threatened to filibuster unless the Senate votes quickly on the measure, reports the...
Sign the Bill,
Dec 27, 2020 11:30 AM CST
Sign the Bill, Lawmakers Tell Trump
Congress can approve more relief later, both parties say
- Lawmakers of both parties pressed President Trump on Sunday to sign the COVID-19 relief and spending bill, after unemployment benefits for millions of Americans expired overnight. "What the president is doing right now is unbelievably cruel," said Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont. "So many people are hurting....
'I'm Not Heartless'
Dec 19, 2020 6:30 AM CST
GOP Senator on Blocking Stimulus Checks: 'I'm Not Heartless'
Ron Johnson insists $1,200 checks aren't the way to go, would balloon national debt
- As the end of the year draws near, Capitol Hill is still wrangling with a new COVID relief plan—and this week, one GOP senator made clear his views on stimulus checks to Americans as part of that plan. The Hill reports that on Friday, Republican Sen. Josh Hawley of...
Late Deal Averts
a Government Shutdown
Dec 11, 2020 2:42 PM CST
Late Deal Averts a Government Shutdown
Congress gets more time, will continue working on COVID package
- Congress shipped a temporary government-wide funding bill to President Trump on Friday, averting a government shutdown at midnight and buying time for on-again, off-again talks on COVID-19 relief. The bill, which sets a new shutdown deadline of midnight next Friday, passed the Senate by a unanimous voice vote that came...
Report: Sanders Wants to
Be Biden's Labor Secretary
Oct 23, 2020 10:17 AM CDT
Report: Sanders Wants to Be Biden's Labor Secretary
'Right now I am focused on seeing that Biden is elected president,' senator says
- After his 2008 victory, Barack Obama made Democratic runner-up Hillary Clinton his secretary of state. Sources tell Politico that if Joe Biden wins in November, Bernie Sanders is interested in a different role: Labor secretary. "I can confirm he's trying to figure out how to land that role...
Warning to Biden
Sep 13, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
Bernie Issues Warning to Biden
The Vermont senator sees trouble on the horizon
- Bernie Sanders is warning that if onetime rival Joe Biden doesn't do more to promote his own policies and reach out to Latino voters, the Democratic presidential nominee is at risk of falling short to President Trump this November, the AP reports. Sanders, a self-described democratic socialist who left...
Slams NBC for
Aug 19, 2020 7:17 AM CDT
After DNC Speech, AOC Slams NBC for 'Malicious' Tweet
Yes, she seconded nomination for Bernie Sanders, as per procedure. Also yes: She's voting for Biden.
- During the Democratic National Convention on Tuesday, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez delivered a symbolic speech (transcript here ) in which she seconded a nomination for Sen. Bernie Sanders during the roll call. It's routine procedure: Each presidential candidate who brings delegates to the convention has to be formally nominated, per...
DNC, Night One: 4 Republicans
Speak Up for Biden
Aug 18, 2020 12:00 AM CDT
DNC, Night One: 4 Republicans Speak Up for Biden
Plus Michelle Obama, Bernie Sanders, and more
- The most unusual political convention to date is underway—the Democrats' all-virtual affair leading to the coronation of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris on Thursday night. Michelle Obama and Bernie Sanders spoke Monday night, along with a rarity—a Republican, former Ohio governor (and 2016 presidential candidate) John Kasich, who...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Alec Baldwin Sued by Family of Fallen Marine
FBI Searches Congressman's Home
After Subway Push, Driver Stops With Inches to Spare
Report Incriminates Ex-Pope on Sex Abuse Cases
Tongans Celebrate 'Real Life Aquaman' Who Survived Tsunami
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.