Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
DNC, Night One: 4 Republicans
Speak Up for Biden
Aug 18, 2020 12:00 AM CDT
DNC, Night One: 4 Republicans Speak Up for Biden
Plus Michelle Obama, Bernie Sanders, and more
- The most unusual political convention to date is underway—the Democrats' all-virtual affair leading to the coronation of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris on Thursday night. Michelle Obama and Bernie Sanders spoke Monday night, along with a rarity—a Republican, former Ohio governor (and 2016 presidential candidate) John Kasich, who...
Get $2K a Month
May 8, 2020 1:48 PM CDT
Senators' Proposal: Americans Should Get $2K a Month
Kamala Harris, Bernie Sanders, Ed Markey unveil 'big idea' to relief economic pain during pandemic
- Americans who received a $1,200 stimulus check from the government to help mitigate financial losses during the coronavirus pandemic could now be coming to a sobering realization: It may not be enough. Three senators are saying the same, and they've just put forth a "big idea" to...
The New York Presidential
Primary Is Back On
May 6, 2020 3:33 AM CDT
The New York Presidential Primary Is Back On
Judge restores it after pushback from Sanders, Yang
- The New York Democratic presidential primary must take place June 23 because canceling it would be unconstitutional and deprive withdrawn presidential candidates Bernie Sanders and Andrew Yang of proper representation at the Democratic convention, a judge ruled Tuesday. US District Judge Analisa Torres in Manhattan ruled after lawyers for Sanders...
White House Takes
Over $100 Coin
Apr 30, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
White House Takes Undeserved Heat Over $100 Coin
Store unaffiliated with White House says profits will go to charity
- The Trump administration took some undeserved heat Wednesday after Bernie Sanders claimed it had released $100 commemorative COVID-19 coins . "If the White House Gift Shop is going to produce $100 COVID-19 coins, Trump can sure as hell utilize the Defense Production Act to manufacture the gloves, gowns, and masks...
Ohio Gives Biden
a Reason to Smile
Apr 29, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Ohio Gives Biden a Reason to Smile
First major test of mail-in voting is complete
- Joe Biden easily trumped Bernie Sanders in Tuesday's presidential primary in Ohio, conducted almost entirely by mail, reports the Hill . The former vice president nabbed 72.4% of 860,347 votes cast, according to unofficial results , compared to 16.6% support for Sanders, who ended his campaign three weeks...
NY Decision an 'Outrage'
Apr 27, 2020 3:55 PM CDT
Sanders Campaign: NY Decision an 'Outrage'
Primary cancellation called a 'blow to democracy'
- The New York Board of Election's decision to cancel the state's Democratic primary is an "outrage" and a "blow to American democracy," Bernie Sanders' campaign said Monday. Campaign senior advisor Jeff Weaver said in a statement that the Board of Elections is ignoring the fact...
Apr 13, 2020 1:35 PM CDT
Bernie Sanders Endorses Biden
Senator wants all Americans to help defeat 'dangerous' Trump
- Joe Biden just scored a big endorsement—that of his last vanquished Democratic rival. Bernie Sanders on Monday formally backed the former vice president in the 2020 race, reports the Hill . During a Biden online forum about the coronavirus, Sanders made an appearance and asked all Americans to rally behind...
Explains His Exit
Apr 8, 2020 2:28 PM CDT
Bernie Sanders Explains His Exit
Trump gloats as senator makes way for Biden
- "I wish I could give you better news but I think you know the truth," Bernie Sanders told supporters Wednesday, announcing the end of his White House bid. The senator acknowledged that he is 300 delegates behind Joe Biden, making victory "virtually impossible," CNN reports. He...
Bernie Sanders Ends
His Bid for the Presidency
Apr 8, 2020 10:32 AM CDT
Bernie Sanders Ends His Bid for the Presidency
Leaving Joe Biden the likely nominee
- Bernie Sanders, who saw his once strong lead in the Democratic primary evaporate as the party's establishment swiftly lined up behind rival Joe Biden, ended his presidential bid on Wednesday. It's an acknowledgment that after wins in places like South Carolina, Michigan, and Florida, the former vice president...
Not Happy With
Apr 6, 2020 10:45 AM CDT
Larry David Not Happy With Toilet Paper Hoarders
Entertainer sees a Wild West parallel in wide-ranging talk with Maureen Dowd
- At a time when Americans are trapped at home, Maureen Dowd of the
New York Times
checked in with "the world's leading expert on the art of nothing"—none other than Larry David. The 72-year-old creator of
Curb Your Enthusiasm
had plenty to say on...
Here's the Story That
Tanked Today's Rally
Mar 25, 2020 4:15 PM CDT
Here's the Story That Tanked Today's Rally
Sen. Bernie Sanders threatens to block $2T relief bill
- The Senate's $2 trillion stimulus package ran into trouble Wednesday when Republicans looked at the fine print on unemployment insurance—and Sen. Bernie Sanders took a bold stand, CNBC reports. The provision allows for more unemployment insurance for a longer time, to help anyone who loses their job during...
Bernie Sanders Isn't Quitting
Mar 25, 2020 8:35 AM CDT
Bernie Sanders Isn't Quitting
Campaign says he'll be in next debate
- Bernie Sanders has been focusing on the coronavirus pandemic instead of the Democratic nomination—but he isn't ready to give up on the latter. His campaign says he will take part in the Democratic debate in April, if there is one, the
New York Times
reports. The last debate...
Mar 18, 2020 11:27 AM CDT
Sanders: It's Time to 'Assess'
Candidate had another rough primary night, but isn't calling it quits
- After another rough primary night , Bernie Sanders will now "assess" the future of his 2020 run, his campaign manager said Wednesday. As Politico points out, the phrase is often trotted out by candidates on the brink of calling it quits. When Elizabeth Warren did so, for example, she bowed...
'11th Time Was the Charm'
at Biden-Sanders Debate
Mar 16, 2020 6:43 AM CDT
'11th Time Was the Charm' at Biden-Sanders Debate
Strong night may have sealed it for Biden
- Bernie Sanders needed a clear victory in Sunday night's debate to regain momentum in the race for the Democratic nomination. Most analysts say he didn't get one, despite some strong moments in his first head-to-head debate with Joe Biden. In a live audience-free debate overshadowed by the coronavirus...
Biden Commits to a
Female Running Mate
Mar 16, 2020 12:11 AM CDT
Biden Commits to a Female Running Mate
Sanders said he will do the same 'in all likelihood'
- In a debate dominated by discussion of the coronavirus outbreak , Joe Biden promised to pick a woman as his running mate if he becomes the Democratic nominee. "I commit that I will, in fact, pick a woman to be vice president," the former vice president said. "There...
Outbreak Looms Large
in Biden, Sanders Debate
Mar 15, 2020 8:13 PM CDT
Outbreak Looms Large in Biden, Sanders Debate
There is no live audience at first head-to-head clash
- Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders are taking part in a very unusual Democratic debate: Because of the coronavirus crisis, there is no live studio audience at the debate, which was shifted from Phoenix to Washington DC. Before their first head-to-head matchup, the two candidates greeted each other by bumping elbows....
on Cuba Could
Cost Him Big
Mar 12, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
Sanders' Remarks on Cuba Could Cost Him Big in Florida
Biden has advantage among various demographics, including Hispanics, ahead of Tuesday's primary
- Bernie Sanders' 2020 campaign is struggling after Joe Biden's big wins in recent primaries, and another important state on the horizon also doesn't look particularly promising for the Vermont senator. Marc Caputo writes for Politico that after "Michigan broke Bernie Sanders' heart Tuesday, Florida looks ready to...
Biden Won After
Mar 11, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Biden Won After 'Suburban Surge'
Ex-VP racking up primary victories from suburbanites looking for a moderate
- Former Vice President Joe Biden has solidly taken front-runner status after Tuesday's primaries , and a big part of his more recent victories can be attributed to what the
calls a "suburban surge." The paper notes that voter turnout in Michigan especially saw a spike in...
Picks Up a
Mar 11, 2020 7:34 AM CDT
Bernie Finally Picks Up a Tuesday Win
Sanders wins North Dakota, as he and Biden are still tied in Washington
- After big wins for Joe Biden in Michigan, Missouri, and Mississippi on Tuesday, the picture is looking only slightly brighter for Bernie Sanders out West. In what may be his only win of the night, Sanders won North Dakota's caucuses; the state offers up 14 pledged delegates, reports the...
Mar 10, 2020 10:55 AM CDT
Bernie Needs 2 Things to Happen Tuesday
Politico: Sanders has to avoid a blowout in Michigan and probably win in Washington state
- It's not quite Super Tuesday all over again, but the stakes are nonetheless high for Bernie Sanders in the day's voting. All eyes are on Michigan in particular, including Sanders' own. The AP notes he has made five campaign stops across the state since Friday, even canceling a...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
Inside the Push to Stop Iceland's 'Blood Mare' Practice
Terrified Buffalo Store Worker Called 911. She Says Dispatcher Hung Up
Shkreli Released From Prison, Makes Joke on Facebook
Man 'Cooked Alive' After Police Tased Him at a Gas Pump
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.