Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
6 Months After Bike Accident,
Dartmouth Loses 'Coach'
Sep 20, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
6 Months After Bike Accident, Dartmouth Loses 'Coach'
Buddy Teevens, head coach of college's football team, succumbed to injuries at age 66
- Six months after Dartmouth College's head football coach Buddy Teevens was involved in a serious bike accident, the 66-year-old has died, reports CNN . "Our family is heartbroken to inform you that our beloved 'coach' has peacefully passed away surrounded by family," a statement from Teevens' family...
He Might Be the Biggest
Story in Sports Right Now
Sep 18, 2023 11:10 AM CDT
He Might Be the Biggest Story in Sports Right Now
'Coach Prime' Deion Sanders has transformed the University of Colorado football program
- Even less-than-casual sports fans are likely to remember the name of Deion Sanders from his days in the NFL. These days, the Hall of Famer is coaching college football, and some remarkable descriptions are being thrown around about the man who calls himself "Coach Prime." Coverage:
Ole Miss Player Sues
Coach, School for $40M
Sep 15, 2023 8:16 AM CDT
Ole Miss Player Sues Coach, School for $40M
DeSanto Rollins says football coach Lane Kiffin verbally abused him during mental health crisis
- Ole Miss defensive tackle DeSanto Rollins is suing the university and head football coach Lane Kiffin, alleging his rights were violated during a mental health crisis. In a lawsuit filed Thursday, Rollins claims he was kicked off the team for a "mental impairment," in violation of the Americans...
Football Player to
Take My Scholarship
Aug 12, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Football Player to Struggling Teammate: Take My Scholarship
Eastern Michigan University's Brian Dooley says he didn't want Zack Conti to struggle anymore
- College football players have each other's backs on the field, but one athlete from Eastern Michigan University has proven in a big way that he has teammate Zack Conti's back off the field, too. CBS News reports that Conti, now a senior, has been struggling over the past...
After Hazing Investigation,
Northwestern Coach Fired
Jul 11, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
After Hazing Investigation, Northwestern Coach Fired
Pat Fitzgerald was first suspended, then terminated
- Within days of his suspension, Pat Fitzgerald has been fired as head coach of Northwestern University's football team amid an ongoing hazing investigation. "The head coach is ultimately responsible for the culture of his team," said the university's president in a statement announcing the termination Monday....
College Says Its Coach Retired.
Coach: 'I Did Not F---ing Retire'
Mar 24, 2023 7:35 AM CDT
College Says Its Coach Retired. Coach: 'I Did Not F---ing Retire'
San Diego's 'winningest coach' ever is not going along with school's line on why he left
- On Tuesday, the University of San Diego's athletic director, Bill McGillis, announced in a statement that Dale Lindsey, the "winningest coach" in USD's history, "will retire from USD as one of the greatest head coaches in our university's history and one of the elite head...
Bill Sets Day of Remembrance
for Worst US Sports Disaster
Feb 16, 2023 3:27 AM CST
Bill Sets Day of Remembrance for Worst US Sports Disaster
Most of Marshall University's football team died in 1970 plane crash in West Virginia
- A bill has won final legislative approval in West Virginia that would establish an annual day of recognition for the worst sports disaster in US history, a plane crash that killed most of Marshall University's football team. On Nov. 14, 1970, a chartered jet crashed in fog and rain...
Title Game Was Biggest
Blowout in Bowl History
Jan 9, 2023 10:15 PM CST
Title Game Was Biggest Blowout in Bowl History
Georgia beats TCU 65-7, largest defeat of any college bowl game ever
- Stetson Bennett threw two touchdown passes and ran for two scores in the first half as No. 1 Georgia demolished No. 3 TCU 65-7 Monday night to become the first team to win consecutive College Football Playoff national championships. It was not only the biggest blowout in any college championship,...
NC State Announcer Suspended
Over 'Illegal Aliens' Line
Jan 1, 2023 8:30 AM CST
NC State Announcer Suspended Over 'Illegal Aliens' Line
Gary Hahn was referring to the situation in El Paso, Texas
- A longtime radio broadcaster for North Carolina State is in hot water after a reference to "illegal aliens" in Texas, reports the
. Gary Hahn has been suspended indefinitely for the remark on Friday. While doing play-by-play for the school's football game, Hahn paused for a routine matter:...
In College Football,
Two Games for the Ages
Jan 1, 2023 2:00 AM CST
In College Football, Two Games for the Ages
As a result, it's TCU vs. Georgia in the championship
- After the best semifinal day in the nine-year history of the College Football Playoff, the title game will match the defending national champion against the closest thing the sport has had in years to a Cinderella team, per the AP . It will be No. 1 Georgia (14-0) looking for its...
'Auntie, Chill': Player Handles
Dec 19, 2022 10:00 AM CST
'Auntie, Chill': Player Handles Interview-Bombing Relative
College star Frank Gore Jr.'s very enthusiastic aunt spurs 'hilarious' reaction from her nephew
- College football star Frank Gore Jr. had a monumental game over the weekend—and a postgame interview went viral to boot. Gore (the son of NFL great Frank Gore) rushed for 329 yards, an NCAA bowl-game record, to help Southern Miss beat Rice in the LendingTree Bowl, per
An 'Air Raid' Coaching
Legend Dies at 61
Dec 13, 2022 11:59 AM CST
An 'Air Raid' Coaching Legend Dies at 61
Colorful Mike Leach of Mississippi State dies of heart complications
- Mike Leach, the gruff, pioneering, and unfiltered college football coach who helped revolutionize the passing game with the Air Raid offense, has died following complications from a heart condition, Mississippi State said Tuesday. He was 61. Leach, who was in his third season as head coach at Mississippi State, fell...
Is This Year's
Dec 11, 2022 5:35 AM CST
A Sophomore Is This Year's Heisman Winner
USC quarterback Caleb Williams takes the honor
- Caleb Williams brought sizzle, excitement, and star power back to Southern California football, per the AP . And now the Heisman Trophy, too. Williams, the dynamic quarterback who was the catalyst for the Trojans’ turnaround season, won the Heisman on Saturday night to make USC the first school to take home...
Midshipmen Take Prank
Tradition to New Heights
Dec 7, 2022 10:35 AM CST
Midshipmen Take Prank Tradition to New Heights
Leaflet drops have been deployed ahead of the 123rd Army-Navy football game
- Airborne leaflet drops are a timeworn form of psychological warfare dating back to the World War I era. More recently, Ukrainian forces have spread leaflets via helicopter and artillery shells instructing Russian troops on how to surrender. Per CNN Business , several midshipmen from the US Naval Academy deployed the tactic...
College Players Charged
in Postgame Violence
Nov 23, 2022 4:10 PM CST
College Players Charged in Postgame Violence
6 Michigan State teammates face charges after tunnel clash last month
- Seven Michigan State University football players have been charged in violence after a loss to the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor last month. The clash took place in a Michigan Stadium tunnel as the players were going to their locker room. The Washtenaw County prosecutor announced Wednesday that six...
She Said NCAA
Nov 23, 2022 8:13 AM CST
She Said NCAA Caused Husband's Death. Jury Disagrees
Jurors rule in favor of sports body, blamed by wife of ex-USC player Matthew Gee for his CTE
- A Los Angeles jury on Tuesday rejected a claim by the widow of a former USC football player who said the NCAA failed to protect him from repeated head trauma that led to his death. Matthew Gee, a linebacker on the 1990 Rose Bowl-winning squad, endured an estimated 6,000...
Vince Dooley Had
1 National Title,
1 Losing Season
Oct 28, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Vince Dooley Had 1 National Title, 1 Losing Season
Georgia coach and athletic director built winners in men's, women's sports
- Vince Dooley, the football coach who carried himself like a professor and guided Georgia for a quarter-century of success that included the 1980 national championship, died Friday. He was 90. The school announced that Dooley died peacefully at his Athens home, surrounded by his wife, Barbara, and their four children,...
After a Win 16 Years
in the Making, Fans
Toss One in River
Oct 17, 2022 1:30 AM CDT
After a Win 16 Years in the Making, Fans Steal Goalposts, Toss One in River
Tennessee is asking for donations to replace them
- The University of Tennessee enjoyed an upset football win against the University of Alabama on Saturday; it was the Tennessee Volunteers' first time beating the Alabama Crimson Tide since 2006. Needless to say, fans were excited—a bit too excited. After the win at Tennessee's Neyland Stadium, they stormed...
College Football Triples
Number of Playoff Teams
Sep 2, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
College Football Triples Number of Playoff Teams
12 schools will vie for the title as soon as 2024
- The College Football Playoff will involve 12 teams, up from the current four, no later than 2026, the organization announced Friday. "This is an historic and exciting day for college football," Mark Keenum, the president of Mississippi State and chairman of the organization's board of managers, said...
College Football Star:
Don't Call Me 'AR-15'
Jul 19, 2022 11:46 AM CDT
College Football Star: Don't Call Me 'AR-15'
Gators QB Anthony Richardson doesn't want to be 'associated with the assault rifle'
- College football star Anthony Richardson will no longer go by the nickname "AR-15." The 21-year-old University of Florida quarterback said Sunday that he didn't wish to be associated with assault rifles used in mass shootings. Though "'AR-15' was simply a representation of my initials combined...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Dallas Mayor Switches Parties
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
College Student Finds Quite the Wedding Dress Bargain
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.