Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Big College Star Is Injured,
Reaction Speaks Volumes
Mar 21, 2022 9:03 AM CDT
Big College Star Is Injured, Reaction Speaks Volumes
Maybe 'someone should’ve checked on him' before moving to next drill, observer writes of David Ojabo
- The injury itself was big news in the football world: Star Michigan linebacker David Ojabo went down with a torn Achilles while auditioning in front of NFL scouts on Friday, reports Yahoo Sports . Ojabo was expected to be a top-10 pick in the next NFL draft, but the injury might...
Georgia Bulldogs Are
National Champions, Finally
Jan 10, 2022 11:14 PM CST
Georgia Bulldogs Are National Champions, Finally
Team beats rival Alabama 33-18 in college football playoffs
- Stetson Bennett delivered the biggest throws of his storybook career and Georgia's defense sealed the sweetest victory in program history, vanquishing rival Alabama 33-18 in the College Football Playoff title Monday for its first national title in 41 years, the AP reports. Bennett connected with Adonai Mitchell on a...
Was a Rout
Dec 11, 2021 9:32 PM CST
This Year's Heisman Race Was a Rout
Alabama quarterback Bryce Young wins easily
- Bryce Young didn't just meet the standard set by the star quarterbacks who preceded him at Alabama, he exceeded it. Young became the first Crimson Tide quarterback to win the Heisman Trophy on Saturday night, making Alabama the fifth school with consecutive winners of college football's most prestigious...
2 Stunning Moves May Not
Bode Well for College Football
Nov 30, 2021 8:33 AM CST
2 Stunning Moves May Not Bode Well for College Football
Notre Dame coach signs with a new team even as his old team is still in the championship hunt
- It's already been quite a week for college football, or as
writer Pat Forde puts it, "the wildest week in the history" of the game. Wilder still is that this has nothing to do with anything that happened on the field. Instead, it involves two blockbuster...
USC Apologizes to BYU
Over Televised Chant
Nov 29, 2021 12:10 PM CST
USC Apologizes to BYU Over Televised Chant
'F--- the Mormons' rang out multiple times from the stands
- Anyone who tuned in to USC's home game against Brigham Young on ESPN over the weekend might have heard a not-so-friendly chant from the stands. On at least five occasions, the crowd broke into a chant of "F--- the Mormons" during the game, reports the
Among College QBs,
He Was Truly Great.
So Was His Downfall
Nov 6, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
Among College QBs, He Was Truly Great. So Was His Downfall
'Sports Illustrated' has the story of Colt Brennan
- Colt Brennan's story is a wrenching one, and Brandon Sneed tells it in detail for
. Sneed calls Brennan "one of college football’s all-time great quarterbacks"—indeed, in 2007 the Hawaii player narrowly missed receiving the Heisman award . He had 31 NCAA passing records to...
USC Trojans Have Terrifying
Moment Aboard Team Plane
Sep 19, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
USC Trojans Have Terrifying Moment Aboard Team Plane
Plane tipped on the tarmac
- Some USC football coaches and staff got a real scare after landing at an Idaho airport on Friday. Per ESPN , a plane that ferried the team, staff, and coaches to Lewiston-Nez Perce County Regional Airport tipped backward on the tarmac during the deplaning process ahead of Saturday's game against...
15 Years After Murder of 'Canes
Star, Teammate Is Arrested
Sep 17, 2021 12:21 PM CDT
15 Years After Murder of 'Canes Star, Teammate Is Arrested
Rashaun Jones pleads not guilty in 2006 slaying of University of Miami player Bryan Pata
A former player on the University of Miami football team has pleaded not guilty to killing a teammate in 2006. Raushan Jones, 35, is currently charged with second-degree murder in the slaying of Bryan Pata, 22, though that could eventually be bumped up to a first-degree count. Our original...
Concern on Stadiums:
'There Will Be Many
Infected People There'
Sep 11, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Concern on Stadiums: 'There Will Be Many Infected People There'
Health experts worry that college and pro football arenas offer prime conditions for further spread
- Health experts say this fall's crowded college and professional football stadiums could create ripe conditions for COVID-19 to spread among unvaccinated fans. Many football stadiums—most of which hold from 65,000 to 100,000 fans—aren't requiring fans to wear masks or be vaccinated. The chances of...
Bobby Bowden Built
Dynasty at Florida State
Aug 8, 2021 12:55 PM CDT
Bobby Bowden Built Dynasty at Florida State
Longtime coach ranks second in major college football victories
- Bobby Bowden, the folksy Hall of Fame coach who built Florida State into an unprecedented college football dynasty, has died. He was 91. His son, Terry, said his father died Sunday at home in Tallahassee, surrounded by family, the AP reports. Bobby Bowden announced last month that he had a...
Famed UCLA Coach
Said He Was Average
Jul 5, 2021 3:24 PM CDT
Famed UCLA Coach Said He Was Average
Terry Donahue led Bruins in all-time victories
- Terry Donahue, who took over UCLA's program at the age of 31 and went on to become the school's winningest football coach ever, has died. He was 77 and had fought cancer for two years, KNBC reports. Among his distinctions was being the first person to appear in...
Massage Therapist Sought
OSU Football Players for Sex
May 14, 2021 7:04 AM CDT
Massage Therapist Sought OSU Football Players for Sex
She's been banned from campus and had her license revoked
- An independent massage therapist has been banned from Ohio State University after she was found to have solicited football players for sex. The 41-year-old, whose license has been revoked following an investigation by the State Medical Board of Ohio, had sex with five adult players. That's according to a...
College Coach Canned for
Racist Stacey Abrams Tweet
Jan 8, 2021 9:18 AM CST
College Coach Canned for Racist Stacey Abrams Tweet
Assistant coach Chris Malone no longer with University of Tennessee at Chattanooga football team
- An assistant coach for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's football team no longer has a job after penning a racist tweet voicing his frustrations over the recent results of the Georgia Senate races. ESPN reports Chris Malone was fired Thursday, with both Mocs head coach Rusty Wright and...
Is First of Its
Kind in Decades
Jan 6, 2021 12:59 AM CST
Heisman Trophy Win Is First of Its Kind in Decades
DeVonta Smith is just the 4th wide receiver ever to win
- On an Alabama team stacked with stars, DeVonta Smith emerged as the best player in college football while playing a position that rarely gets that kind of recognition. Smith became the first wide receiver to win the Heisman Trophy in 29 seasons Tuesday night, breaking the monopoly quarterbacks have had...
This Coach Really Didn't
Want His Gatorade Bath
Jan 3, 2021 7:15 AM CST
This Coach Really Didn't Want His Gatorade Bath
Texas A&M's Jimbo Fisher pulls a hamstring running away
- After Texas A&M defeated North Carolina on Saturday to win the Orange Bowl, players tried to douse coach Jimbo Fisher with Gatorade. As this video clip shows, Fisher
in impressive fashion to avoid his fate, notes a post at SaturdayDownSouth . But the sprint may have been a little...
College QB Gets
Unexpected Grooming Tip
Jan 2, 2021 9:47 AM CST
College QB Gets Unexpected Grooming Tip
Reporter forgets to mute her computer in Zoom press conference
- It's one thing for a QB to get grilled after a tough loss in the national spotlight. But what happened to Clemson's Trevor Lawrence on Friday night was a little unexpected. It seems that an unidentified female reporter on the post-game Zoom call forgot her mute button, reports...
Nov 28, 2020 3:50 PM CST
30-Yard Kick Makes College Football History
Sarah Fuller is Power 5 Football's first female player
- A 30-yard squib kick, making history? Yep, it happened Saturday when Sarah Fuller kicked for the Vanderbilt Commodores and became the first female player in a Power 5 football game—college ball's top echelon, ESPN reports. "Honestly, it's just so exciting," she said of her perfect...
Favorite for Heisman
Oct 30, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
COVID-19 Sidelines Favorite for Heisman
Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence tested positive on Wednesday
- The top-ranked Clemson Tigers will have to go without their star quarterback and the favorite to win the Heisman Trophy, who's tested positive for COVID-19. Trevor Lawrence tested negative on Sunday but logged a positive test on Wednesday, officials said late Thursday, per CNN . The quarterback will be out...
Oct 14, 2020 5:54 PM CDT
Iconic Coach Gets COVID Right Before Big Game
Alabama Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban says he's isolating at home
- Alabama coach Nick Saban and athletic director Greg Byrne have tested positive for COVID-19, three days before the second-ranked Crimson Tide is set to face No. 3 Georgia in a clash of Southeastern Conference and national powers, the AP reports. Both said their tests Wednesday morning came back positive, but...
Final Major Conference
Decides to Resume Football
Sep 25, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Final Major Conference Decides to Resume Football
Mid-American teams will play 6-game schedule, while other fall sports wait till spring
- The Mid-American Conference, the first major college football league to postpone its season after the coronavirus pandemic hit, has become the final one to jump back in. That means all 10 conferences will play in the fall, the AP reports. As university presidents in the Big Ten, Pac-12, and Mountain...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
92 Tons of Popular Topping Recalled
Sentencing in Flight Attendant Assault a 'Very Strong Message'
Gunmaker Is a No-Show at NRA Convention
After a Quirky Name Change, Now They're Stuck With It
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other No-Shows at NRA Meeting
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.