Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
May 24, 2022 1:29 AM CDT
Police, NHL Probing Racist Threats Against Nazem Kadri
Colorado Avalanche player says a bottle was thrown at him also
- The NHL said Monday that St. Louis police are investigating threats made toward Colorado Avalanche forward Nazem Kadri, who has been the subject of racist social media posts since he was involved in a collision that knocked Blues goaltender Jordan Binnington out for the rest of the series. Deputy Commissioner...
'We'll Miss You No. 10'
Apr 22, 2022 1:09 PM CDT
'We'll Miss You No. 10'
NHL legend Guy Lafleur is dead at 70
- Last week, Mike Bossy died . Now, another NHL legend is gone: Hall of Famer Guy Lafleur, who helped the Montreal Canadiens win five Stanley Cup titles in the 1970s, has died at age 70, per the AP . That's why the hashtag #RIP Flower was trending on Twitter Friday, a...
A Hockey Icon Is Dead at 65
Apr 15, 2022 9:18 AM CDT
A Hockey Icon Is Dead at 65
Mike Bossy of the Islanders was one of the NHL's most prolific scorers
- Mike Bossy, one of hockey’s most prolific goal-scorers and a star for the New York Islanders during their 1980s dynasty, has died after a battle with lung cancer at age 65. The Islanders and TVA Sports, the French-language network in Canada where he worked as a hockey analyst, confirmed...
More Heartbreak for US Hockey
Feb 17, 2022 4:06 AM CST
More Heartbreak for US Hockey
Canadian women's team reclaims Olympic gold in 3-2 win over Americans
- Canada’s Captain Clutch, Marie-Philip Poulin, delivered at the Olympics again. Poulin scored twice, including her third gold-medal clinching goal, and Canada reclaimed its place atop the women's hockey world by capping its run through the Beijing Games with a 3-2 win over the defending champion United States on...
With Shocking Upset,
US Is Out of Men's Hockey
Feb 16, 2022 6:41 AM CST
With Shocking Upset, US Is Out of Men's Hockey
Team blanked in quarterfinal shootout with Slovakia, losing 3-2
- Minutes after failing to score in the shootout as the Americans' last chance to stay alive at the Olympics, captain Andy Miele took off his gloves to wipe the tears coming out of his eyes. "I'm just sad it's over," he said, per the AP . With...
China's Hockey 'Ringers'
Lose 8-0 in Olympic Debut
Feb 11, 2022 12:04 PM CST
China's Hockey 'Ringers' Lose 8-0 in Olympic Debut
15 of 25 players were born overseas
- China's unusual Olympic men's hockey team had a rendezvous with reality in Beijing Thursday night. The team, described by the
as a "squad of ringers" China put together when the country automatically qualified for the Olympic hockey tournament as host nation but didn't have a...
Feb 4, 2022 4:08 PM CST
Blackhawks Fans Push Back Against Exec's Comments
Chicago's Rocky Wirtz dismissed reporter's questions about sex-assault reforms
- Though an alleged sexual abuse cover-up with the Chicago Blackhawks hockey team happened 12 years ago, fans and the public at large still want answers about how this will be prevented in the future—but they apparently won’t get any from the team’s executives, the
in Hot Water
Jan 24, 2022 1:00 AM CST
Hockey Player in Hot Water After 'Monkey Gestures'
Jacob Panetta suspended for allegedly racist gestures
- The East Coast Hockey League suspended Jacob Panetta on Sunday after the brother of longtime NHL defenseman PK Subban accused the Jacksonville defenseman of making “monkey gestures" in his direction, the AP reports. The ECHL said the indefinite suspension is pending a hearing under its collective bargaining agreement with...
Dead Teen Hockey Player's
Friend Petitions for New Rule
Jan 16, 2022 5:15 PM CST
Dead Teen Hockey Player's Friend Petitions for New Rule
Skater wants neck guards to be required
- A high school student who lost his friend doesn’t want anyone else to go through that. When 16-year-old high school sophomore Teddy Balkind suffered a fatal injury during a hockey game in Connecticut a week ago, he wasn’t wearing a neck guard. At first, authorities said Teddy had...
Community Mourns Teen
Killed in Freak Accident
Jan 9, 2022 2:45 PM CST
Community Mourns Teen Killed in Freak Accident
Hockey player fell and was struck by another kid
- A community is mourning a high school sophomore after a hockey game turned tragic. Teddy Balkind was playing in a matchup between his school, St. Luke’s of New Canaan, Conn., and Brunswick School in Greenwich when he fell. Another student wasn’t able to stop in time to avoid...
Jan 2, 2022 3:10 PM CST
Seattle Kraken Fan Called a Hero
Future med student spotted malignant mole on Canucks staffer's neck
- When Nadia Popovici showed the Vancouver Canucks’ equipment manager a message on her phone last October, he barely acknowledged it. But the message changed his life. The hockey fan was sitting behind the bench and happened to notice a scary mole on the back of Brian “Red” Hamilton’s...
More Bad News to NHL
Dec 21, 2021 12:00 AM CST
COVID Delivers More Bad News to NHL
League shuts down early for holiday
- The NHL is beginning a leaguewide shutdown Wednesday amid a rise in positive COVID-19 test results among players, and with 10 of the league's 32 teams' schedules already paused and their facilities closed. The league announced Monday night that it will open its annual holiday break two days earlier...
COVID Outbreak Hits
Fully Vaccinated NHL Team
Nov 18, 2021 3:34 PM CST
COVID Outbreak Hits Fully Vaccinated NHL Team
10 Ottawa Senators players are out of action
- COVID-19 has cut through the Ottawa Senators like a Zamboni through slush, despite all players being fully vaccinated—and experts say the NHL team's experience is a reminder that the pandemic is far from over. Some 10 players—around 40% of the roster—and one coach are now in...
After Taunting Female Goalie,
School's Students Are Shut Out
Nov 7, 2021 9:10 AM CST
After Taunting Female Goalie, School's Students Are Shut Out
Vulgar chants prompt ban on fans in seventh through 12 grade
- After a female goalie was subjected to vulgar chants and jeers throughout a hockey game, students from the opposing Pennsylvania school have been barred from the stands for the rest of the season. The prohibition applies to students in grades seven through 12 at Armstrong Junior-Senior High School, the
Cause of Death Revealed
for Former NHL Player
Jimmy Hayes, 31
Oct 18, 2021 12:04 AM CDT
Cause of Death Revealed for Former NHL Player Jimmy Hayes, 31
Former hockey player had drugs in his system
Former NHL player Jimmy Hayes died from acute intoxication due to the combined effects of fentanyl and cocaine, both of which were found in his system, the medical examiner determined after an autopsy. His death was ruled an accident, NBC 10 Boston reports. "I was completely shocked" at...
Aug 23, 2021 8:38 AM CDT
Farewell to 'Mr. Ranger'
New York Rangers legend Rod Gilbert, 80, was a Hall of Famer, beloved by fans
- Rod Gilbert, the Hall of Fame right wing who starred for the New York Rangers and helped Canada win the 1972 Summit Series, has died. He was 80. Gilbert's family confirmed the death to the Rangers on Sunday, per the AP . The team didn't provide details. "I...
NHL Draft Pick
Jul 20, 2021 2:25 AM CDT
NHL Draft Pick Luke Prokop: I'm Gay
He's the first active player under contract to come out
- Luke Prokop on Monday became the first active hockey player under an NHL contract to come out as gay. The Alberta native, who was drafted by the Nashville Predators last year and signed a contract with them in December, said he was "proud to publicly tell everyone that I...
2nd Stanley Cup
in 10 Months
Jul 8, 2021 12:02 AM CDT
Lightning Win 2nd Stanley Cup in 10 Months
This time, it was in front of fans
- After the Tampa Bay Lightning beat the Montreal Canadiens 1-0 on Wednesday night to end the final in five games and win their second championship in 10 months, captain Steven Stamkos hoisted the Stanley Cup in front of 18,110 fans—18,110 more than the last time he did...
19, Killed by Puck
Mar 17, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
Hockey Player, 19, Killed by Puck
Timur Faizutdinov was struck in the head, collapsed during Friday game
- A 19-year-old Russian hockey player has died after being hit in the head by a puck, his team announced Tuesday. Defenseman Timur Faizutdinov of the Dynamo St. Petersburg's junior hockey team was struck in the head by a puck hit from center ice during a Friday playoff game against...
Star Goalie Needs
Dec 28, 2020 11:21 AM CST
Star Goalie Needs Open-Heart Surgery
'We all have our mountains to climb,' says NHL's Henrik Lundqvist
- He's been one of the elite goaltenders in the NHL for the last 15 years or so, but Henrik Lundqvist has a bigger challenge ahead. The 38-year-old announced Monday that he will undergo open-heart surgery, reports the AP . Lundqvist has spent most of his career with the New York...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Teen Has Heart Attack After Massive Horse Kick
Texas Official: Police Made 'Wrong Decision' at Shooting
2 Deaths in the World of Music
Ted Cruz Interview on Uvalde Doesn't Go Too Well
After a Quirky Name Change, Now They're Stuck With It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.