Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Joins an Exclusive Club
Dec 1, 2023 8:19 AM CST
Pittsburgh Goalie Joins an Exclusive Club
Tristan Jarry becomes only the 14th NHL goaltender to score a goal
- Pittsburgh Penguins goalie Tristan Jarry had an unusual stats line Thursday night: 39 saves on 41 shots—and one goal scored. Yes, Jarry became only the 14th goaltender in NHL history to score a goal as he launched a puck into Tampa Bay's empty net with about a minute...
After Hockey Player's
Death, Girlfriend Found
Nov 17, 2023 3:10 PM CST
After Hockey Player's Death, Girlfriend Found Engagement Ring
Family friends say Adam Johnson bought it before flying to England from Minnesota
- Friends of Adam Johnson's family say the hockey player's girlfriend made a heartbreaking find after he was fatally injured during a game in England last month. The family friends tell
that Ryan Wolfe, the 29-year-old player's girlfriend of three years, found an engagement ring in...
Arrest Made in
Fatal Hockey Injury
Nov 14, 2023 3:25 PM CST
Arrest Made in Fatal Hockey Injury
Police in England say man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter
- An arrest has been made in the death of an American hockey player who was fatally injured by a skate blade during a game in England last month. South Yorkshire Police say a man was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter on Tuesday and he remains in custody, the BBC reports....
Teen NHL Star Nabs
a 1944 Milestone
Nov 10, 2023 9:34 AM CST
Teen NHL Star Nabs a 1944 Milestone
18-year-old Connor Bedard is the youngest player to score 4 points in a game in decades
- The youngest player in the NHL didn't play like it on Thursday night: Connor Bedard had a four-point night for the Chicago Blackhawks, making him the youngest player to achieve that feat since 1944, reports NBC Chicago . The 18-year-old had two goals and two assists in Chicago's 5-3...
Skate Cut Kills Ex-NHL Player
Oct 29, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Skate Cut Kills Ex-NHL Player
UK Team, Pittsburgh Penguins mourn Adam Johnson
- Adam Johnson, who played briefly in the NHL, was killed Saturday when the blade of a skate cut his neck during a game in England. The 29-year-old American was playing for the Nottingham Panthers in a Challenge Cup game against the Steelers, the BBC reports. The Panthers issued a statement...
May Be 'Starstruck,'
Oct 10, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
Hockey's New Phenom May Be 'Starstruck,' Briefly
Connor Bedard, under big pressure with Chicago, debuts against Sidney Crosby of the Penguins
- The NHL season begins Tuesday, and one game in particular is especially fitting: The Chicago Blackhawks play the Pittsburgh Penguins. Chicago has an 18-year-old named Connor Bedard making his NHL debut, and the teen is heralded as a generational player on par with superstar Sidney Crosby of the Penguins, who'...
His Fights Are Legendary.
How Did That Leave His Brain?
Oct 1, 2023 4:25 PM CDT
His Fights Are Legendary. How Did That Leave His Brain?
When it comes to CTE research, Chris Nilan could end up being a fascinating subject
- Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, or CTE, can only be diagnosed after death, and that diagnosis has been made hundreds of times among former football and hockey players who have suffered repeated blows to the head. Boston University's CTE center is now running a study on living subjects who might be...
Is Out Amid
Sep 18, 2023 2:38 AM CDT
NHL Coach Is Out Amid Player Privacy Controversy
Mike Babcock resigns before coaching a single game for Columbus Blue Jackets
- A strange privacy scandal has ended Mike Babcock's time as head coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets almost as soon as it began. Babcock, 60, resigned Sunday, three days before the opening of training camp and before he'd even had a chance to coach a single hockey game...
Russian Hockey Player
Accused of Spying
Jun 30, 2023 4:27 AM CDT
Russian Hockey Player Accused of Spying
Poland says player in top league is 14th member of spy ring to be arrested
- Polish authorities have detained a Russian hockey player who competes in a top Polish league on suspicion of spying, officials said Friday. "Russian spies are falling one by one!" said Zbigniew Ziobro, the justice minister and chief prosecutor. "A spy who operated under the guise of an...
A Legend of Hockey
Jun 15, 2023 2:15 PM CDT
A Legend of Hockey Had CTE
Montreal Canadiens great Henri Richard is diagnosed posthumously
- The late Henri Richard is a hockey Hall of Famer who has a record 11 Stanley Cups on his resume and, now, a more troubling legacy: The Montreal Canadiens star had chronic traumatic encephalopathy when he died in 2020 at age 84, according to the Concussion Legacy Foundation Canada, per...
Vegas Golden Knights
Capture First Stanley Cup
Jun 14, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Vegas Golden Knights Capture First Stanley Cup
Young franchise takes hockey title for first time
- Golden Knights games have always been as flashy as any show on the Las Vegas Strip, the sword-fighting mascot taking the ice before what seems like a legion of players marching out through the mirrored entrance into the roar of the crowd. If this team was ever going to win...
May 14, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
Lethal News for NHL's 'Enforcers'
On average, former players known for getting into numerous brawls died a decade earlier than peers
- Recent research shows that fighting at NHL games, "once considered an integral part of professional hockey," has plummeted over the past two decades. Seems like that might be a good thing down the line, at least according to a new study, which finds that ex-players who were...
Mocks Him, NHL
in case you missed it
Dec 4, 2022 11:55 AM CST
After Broadcaster Mocks Him, NHL Player Has Classy Response
Pat Maroon donates to a mental health charity, encourages others to do the same
- When a TV broadcaster mocked an NHL's player's weight, the player fired back on Twitter—but maybe not in the way you'd expect. Pat Maroon of the Tampa Bay Lightning donated to a mental health charity in the broadcaster's name and encouraged others to do the...
Young Hockey Player's Past
Bullying Costs Him Again
Nov 7, 2022 11:05 AM CST
Young Hockey Player's Past Bullying Costs Him Again
Boston Bruins rescind contract with Mitchell Miller
- For the second time , a young NHL prospect's history of bullying has cost him a shot at the big leagues. And it's not clear if 20-year-old Mitchell Miller will ever be allowed to play hockey in the NHL. The latest developments unfolded over the weekend, when the Boston...
Hockey Canada CEO
Ousted Amid Scandals
Oct 11, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
Hockey Canada CEO Ousted Amid Scandals
Organization used secretive fund to settle sexual assault claims
- Hockey Canada ousted CEO Scott Smith on Tuesday and the board of directors also resigned due to a series of scandals that have rocked the sport’s national federation to its core. Smith spent nearly three decades climbing the ladder at Hockey Canada and lasted just three months at the...
NHL Has a
to Contend With
Oct 10, 2022 7:38 AM CDT
NHL Has a New Scandal to Contend With
Tampa Bay Lightning suspends Ian Cole after woman alleges he sexually abused her as a minor
- The Tampa Bay Lightning suspended defenseman Ian Cole pending an investigation into allegations made on social media that he sexually abused a woman when she was a minor. The Lightning said Sunday night they were fully cooperating with the NHL on an investigation and were making the decision to suspend...
Jul 5, 2022 7:57 AM CDT
Star Goalie's Career Takes Unexpected Turn in Russia
Ivan Fedotov, under contract with Philadelphia Flyers, detained over military service at home
- Ivan Fedotov is a 25-year-old star goalie in Russia who seemed destined to duplicate the feat in the NHL, especially after the Philadelphia Flyers signed him to a contract in May. Now, however, his hockey future is very much in doubt—he was detained last week in Russia as a...
Punches Were Thrown
on the Ice—and Then Off
Jun 10, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
Punches Were Thrown on the Ice—and Then Off
New York Rangers fan facing assault charges after sucker punch caught on video
- Thursday's hockey game between the Tampa Bay Lightning and New York Rangers ended with punches on and off the ice. Shortly after players traded blows to mark the end of the Lightning's 3-1 victory over the Rangers at Madison Square Garden, which put the Lightning up 3-2 in...
Their Sons Died
in a Sports Tragedy.
They Reacted Differently
Jun 6, 2022 12:24 PM CDT
Their Sons Died in a Sports Tragedy. They Reacted Differently
Scott Thomas and Chris Joseph lost their sons, Broncos hockey players, in 2018 crash
- The first half of Mitch Moxley's searing story for
on the deadly April 2018 bus crash that killed 16 people with the Humboldt Broncos junior hockey team in Saskatchewan focuses on the crash itself and immediate aftermath. Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, a sober and inexperienced semitruck driver who was...
May 24, 2022 1:29 AM CDT
Police, NHL Probing Racist Threats Against Nazem Kadri
Colorado Avalanche player says a bottle was thrown at him also
- The NHL said Monday that St. Louis police are investigating threats made toward Colorado Avalanche forward Nazem Kadri, who has been the subject of racist social media posts since he was involved in a collision that knocked Blues goaltender Jordan Binnington out for the rest of the series. Deputy Commissioner...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.