Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Hadn't Missed Work in
3 Decades, Gets Big Reward
in case you missed it
Aug 13, 2023 6:52 AM CDT
He Hadn't Missed Work in 3 Decades, Gets Big Reward
GoFundMe for Las Vegas Burger King worker Kevin Ford has brought in more than $400K
- Last June, a worker at a Nevada Burger King became an unexpected star, lauded for the fact that he hadn't missed a scheduled shift in 27 years. Kevin Ford's brush with fame came courtesy of a video he'd posted on TikTok that highlighted his impressive work ethic...
Her Fake Feel-Good Story
Just Went Even More South
Jan 7, 2023 11:30 AM CST
Her Fake Feel-Good Story Just Went Even More South
Katelyn McClure gets 3 more years in jail in case involving fake $400K fundraiser for homeless man
- A New Jersey woman who pleaded guilty to helping her boyfriend spread a feel-good story about a homeless veteran that garnered more than $400,000 in online donations has been sentenced to three years in prison on state theft charges. Burlington County prosecutors say Katelyn McClure, 32, wasn't present...
GoFundMe Sets Up
Hub to Keep Scammers
From Uvalde Tragedy
May 25, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
GoFundMe Sets Up Hub to Keep Scammers From Uvalde Tragedy
Crowdfunding platform has verified fundraisers; blood donations, legal services also needed for Texas victims
- Wanting to help victims and their families after a tragic event is a natural impulse, but avoiding scammers is key to making sure your money gets into the right hands. After Tuesday's mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, in which 19 children and two adults were...
Slick Series About Jesus
Upends Crowdfunding Strategy
Nov 30, 2021 9:50 AM CST
Slick Series About Jesus Upends Crowdfunding Strategy
'The Chosen' is breaking new ground on that front, reports the 'Wall Street Journal'
- Like any Hollywood-esque production depicting Jesus' Sermon on the Mount,
needed plenty of extras for the scene. The twist here: In this case, the extras actually paid for the privilege, with most shelling out at least $1,000 each. Welcome to the unusual—and successful—production model of...
It Was the 'Largest
Ever. And It Failed
Nov 19, 2021 11:18 AM CST
It Was the 'Largest Crowdfunding Initiative' Ever. And It Failed
DAO with $46M in donations fails to purchase copy of US Constitution at auction
- A group of cryptocurrency investors has failed to win a rare copy of the US Constitution despite pooling $46 million toward that goal in what Artnet News calls "the largest crowdfunding initiative of all time." An anonymous private collector purchased the first-edition copy of the Constitution, one of...
Relief for Mom Who
Sold Blood Plasma
to Feed Her Kids
Aug 4, 2021 11:10 AM CDT
Relief for Mom Who Sold Blood Plasma to Feed Her Kids
Las Vegas mother Dasha Kelly, on verge of eviction, receives $200K through GoFundMe
- The CDC on Tuesday issued a new "targeted" moratorium through Oct. 3 that will keep people from being evicted in areas of the country with "substantial and high levels of community transmission" of COVID. This pause came days after an old one had expired, leaving millions vulnerable to...
You Can Be Part of
Unusual 'Token of
Appreciation' for Trump
Dec 9, 2020 9:39 AM CST
You Can Be Part of Unusual 'Token of Appreciation' for Trump
Real estate agency is crowdfunding $3M to 'give' president's childhood home in Queens to him
- Supporters of President Trump looking for a way to show their appreciation now have their chance, though they'll have to open up their wallets to do it. In what the
New York Times
deems as an "unusual real estate maneuver," the current owner of Trump's childhood...
Apr 9, 2019 7:41 AM CDT
After Parents Disowned Her,
Fans Raise $90K
Jess Guilbeaux is going back to school, thanks to help from strangers who saw her on 'Queer Eye'
- When a GoFundMe was set up for Jess Guilbeaux, the goal of $100,000 for the 23-year-old— whose story of being disowned by her adoptive parents after they discovered she was gay appeared on Netflix's third season of
—seemed far off. Now that crowdfunding initiative has reached...
She Was Disowned for
Being Gay. Then the
Guys Stepped In
Mar 20, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
She Was Disowned for Being Gay. Then the
Guys Stepped In
Netflix episode featuring Jess Guilbeaux has proved to be an 'ugly cry' one
- Netflix recently started streaming the third season of
, and one episode in particular is causing people to "ugly cry." NBC News reports on "Black Girl Magic," the fifth episode, which puts 23-year-old Jess Guilbeaux in the spotlight. Guilbeaux, a waitress in Lawrence, Kan., was...
Got Trolled on
Twitter. His Troll
Is Now 'Humbled'
Jan 25, 2019 1:02 PM CST
Patton Oswalt Got Trolled on Twitter. His Troll Is Now 'Humbled'
Comedian directed fans to donate money to sick man's GoFundMe
- A Twitter troll went after Patton Oswalt—and the comedian managed to turn it into one of the most uplifting stories of the week. It started Wednesday, when Oswalt made fun of President Trump on Twitter , which provoked snarky reactions from 64-year-old Michael Beatty, including saying he was happy Oswalt'...
Teen Shot in
Own Home Wants
Help Her Move
Dec 27, 2018 8:40 AM CST
Teen Shot in Own Home Wants GoFundMe to Help Her Move
'I have not felt safe while at home,' writes Myonna Lanton of Detroit
- The family of a Detroit teen who was injured by gunfire that struck her home is looking to move—and they've taken to GoFundMe to assist in that effort. Myonna Lanton, 14, survived the Oct. 14 ordeal, in which someone shot at her house while she was watching TV...
Campaign to Fund Trump's Wall
Is in GoFundMe's Top 5 Ever
Dec 21, 2018 6:03 AM CST
Campaign to Fund Trump's Wall Is in GoFundMe's Top 5 Ever
Brian Kolfage has raised millions for the border wall, though it's not clear if DHS can take it
- An Air Force veteran who started a GoFundMe page to help fund construction of President Trump's border wall has already raised millions of dollars, the AP reports. The crowdsourcing page launched this week by Brian Kolfage has a fundraising goal of $1 billion and had generated more than $11...
Things Just Got Ugly Between
Stormy Daniels, Avenatti
Nov 29, 2018 10:15 AM CST
Things Just Got Ugly Between Stormy Daniels, Avenatti
Trump accuser makes some serious allegations against her own attorney
- Stormy Daniels is again making serious public allegations, but this time they're against her own attorney. In a statement to the Daily Beast , Daniels goes after Michael Avenatti on two main fronts. The biggest beef is about money, specifically the cash raised for Daniels on a crowdfunding site . She...
He Asked a
Student to Leave.
Nov 6, 2018 11:44 AM CST
He Asked a Student to Leave. Then Fists Started Flying
GoFundMe for Marston Riley raises $75K after he got into fight with teen
- A high school music teacher in California was arrested Friday and charged with child abuse after he got into a physical fight with a 14-year-old student who verbally provoked him in class.
has cellphone video of the incident at Maywood Academy High School, where 64-year-old Marston Riley can...
Muslims Quickly Raise
Money for Synagogue Victims
Oct 29, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
Muslims Quickly Raise Money for Synagogue Victims
The total has surpassed $100K
- In the immediate aftermath of the synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh, two Muslim nonprofit groups set out to raise $25,000 for victims on the crowdfunding site LaunchGood . They passed that goal within six hours, reports the
Times of Israel
. In fact, as of Monday morning, the groups CelebrateMercy and MPower...
Anti-Collins Groups: As She
Spoke, the Cash Poured In
Oct 6, 2018 6:30 AM CDT
Anti-Collins Groups: As She Spoke, the Cash Poured In
Activists say they now have more than $3M to offer to the Maine senator's 2020 opponent
- She was deemed the Democrats' "last big hope" to derail the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh as Supreme Court justice. But as it became clear Friday during Susan Collins' 45-minute-long speech on the Senate floor that Maine's GOP senator was going to greenlight Kavanaugh, money started flowing in to...
Students Crowdfund to Send
Beloved Custodian on Vacation
Sep 27, 2018 5:31 PM CDT
Students Crowdfund to Send Beloved Custodian on Vacation
Herman Gordon hadn't seen his family in nearly 10 years
- Students love Herman Gordon, who has worked as a custodian at the UK's Bristol University for 12 years. So when they found out that Gordon, who moved to England when he was 12 and rarely sees his family in Jamaica, hadn't been back to visit his homeland in...
GoFundMe: Homeless Vet Will
Be 'Made Whole' in $400K Feud
Sep 7, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
GoFundMe: Homeless Vet Will Be 'Made Whole' in $400K Feud
Crowdfunding site says Johnny Bobbitt Jr. will get what he's due
- What started out as an uplifting story has degenerated into a rather upsetting one for all involved. The Philadelphia couple that helped crowdfund more than $400,000 to help a homeless man is now being accused by that man of using the money as their "personal piggy bank,"...
What Biggest Crowdsourced
Fundraiser Ever Accomplished
Aug 28, 2018 4:15 AM CDT
What Biggest Crowdsourced Fundraiser Ever Accomplished
JJ Watt reveals what he did with the $41.6M his foundation raised
- Houston Texans star JJ Watt said Monday that he has distributed the $41.6 million his foundation raised to help rebuild the Texas Gulf Coast after Hurricane Harvey. An online fundraiser Watt launched after the storm hit last year went viral and far exceeded his original goal of raising $200,...
A Final Gift
May 22, 2018 8:57 AM CDT
A Final Gift From Teacher Murdered in Texas School
Cynthia Tisdale's story is now bringing in money for treatment of her seriously ill husband
- One of the victims in the Santa Fe school shooting was Cynthia Tisdale, a 63-year-old substitute teacher who WFMY reports was killed Friday while teaching a first-period art class. But while family and friends mourn her death in this "terrible act of violence," BuzzFeed notes a glimmer of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
Thanks to Taylor Swift, Heinz Selling 'Ketchup and Seemingly Ranch'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.