Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jul 25, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Mounties: Shooter Who Targeted Homeless People Is Dead
2 were killed in attacks in Vancouver suburb
This story has been updated with new developments
. A man suspected of shooting homeless people at multiple locations in the Vancouver area, killing two of them, was shot and killed during an "interaction" with police, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police says. The RCMP earlier said the man had been...
4 Bears Killed in Campground
Reserved for Homeless
Jul 7, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
4 Bears Killed in Campground Reserved for Homeless
People moved to park after Anchorage closed pandemic mass shelter
- Alaska wildlife officials have killed four black bears in a campground recently reserved for people in Anchorage who are homeless after the closure of the city's largest shelter. Employees from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game on Tuesday killed a sow, her two cubs, and another adult bear...
Cops Offer Reward
Set on Fire
May 26, 2022 8:41 AM CDT
Cops Offer Reward After Chicago's 'Walking Man' Set on Fire
Homeless man Joseph Kromelis, a city fixture for decades, was attacked while sleeping on street
- A homeless man known to Chicago locals for decades as the "Walking Man" was severely burned this week after a brutal attack as he slept on the street. Police say 75-year-old Joseph Kromelis, was lying on the ground in the city's River North neighborhood around 3am Wednesday when...
DC Cops Nab Suspect Wanted
for Shooting Homeless Men
Mar 15, 2022 6:16 AM CDT
DC Cops Nab Suspect Wanted for Shooting Homeless Men
Man is in custody in Washington after attacks there, in NYC that left 2 dead, 3 injured
A man is in custody in connection with a series of shootings of homeless men in New York City and Washington, DC. The district's Metropolitan Police Department tweeted that the man was arrested early Tuesday in Washington and was being interrogated by homicide investigators. DC Mayor Muriel Bowser...
Told to Restrict Free Meals
to Homeless, Church Sues City
Feb 3, 2022 8:11 AM CST
Told to Restrict Free Meals to Homeless, Church Sues City
Oregon church was told it could only feed homeless people twice a week
- A church in southern Oregon says it is following the teachings of Jesus Christ when it provides free meals to homeless people—and it is unconstitutional for the city of Brookings to try to limit the service. St. Timothy's Episcopal Church and the Episcopal Diocese of Oregon have filed...
It Took 8 Narcan Doses to Save
Her. That Was Just the Start
Dec 12, 2021 5:00 PM CST
It Took 8 Narcan Doses to Save Her. That Was Just the Start
A fentanyl-addicted daughter, and the mother who tried to help her
- Laurie Steves made the drive alone from Port Orchard, Wash., to San Francisco this May. Kind of. As Heather Knight writes in a lengthy story for the
San Francisco Chronicle
, she had the ashes of her son Zachary in the car. The 25-year-old had died of a fentanyl and ketamine...
She Lost Hope of Quinceanara,
but Volunteers Stepped Up
Apr 22, 2021 1:19 PM CDT
She Lost Hope of Quinceanara, but Volunteers Stepped Up
'I felt like a princess,' says Adriana Palma of Miami
- Adriana Palma recently celebrated her quinceanara , but that celebration was possible only because of Good Samaritans. When Adriana left Mexico in early 2020, she looked forward to a new life in Miami with her parents and three younger brothers, per the AP . But when the pandemic hit, her father’...
Is the Gift That
Keeps on Giving,
in a 'Perfect Way'
Feb 11, 2021 10:40 AM CST
Alex Trebek Is the Gift That Keeps on Giving, in a 'Perfect Way'
Late 'Jeopardy!' host's family, show staff donate his wardrobe so underserved men can go to interviews
- Three hundred neckties, 58 dress shirts, 25 polo shirts, 15 belts, 14 suits, 14 sweaters, nine pairs of dress shoes, nine sports coats, three pairs of dress slacks, and two parkas sounds like a clothier's "12 Days of Christmas" list. Thanks to Alex Trebek's family and
He Was Forced to Leave
the Shelter. Then, Tragedy
Jan 20, 2021 10:15 AM CST
He Was Forced to Leave the Shelter. Then, Tragedy
Raphael Andre, who was homeless, died in port-a-potty steps from shelter on cold Montreal night
- A homeless man's tragic death in Canada is shining a spotlight on the far-reaching consequences of the coronavirus pandemic. Montreal police say an Indigenous Innu man died overnight Saturday on a cold street just steps away from a shelter that was forced to close for the night, partly due...
'Unchecked Groping' Alleged
at Calif. Homeless Shelters
Dec 11, 2020 1:00 PM CST
'Unchecked Groping' Alleged at Calif. Homeless Shelters
ACLU sues cities, operators of 3 Orange County shelters
- In March 2019, the American Civil Liberties Union issued a report that suggested it was better to spend time in jail than in dirty, overcrowded Orange County homeless shelters. Residents at Anaheim's Bridges at Kraemer Place and Santa Ana's Courtyard Transitional Center and SAFEPlace shelters described feces covering...
Gets Help From
Some Big Names
Dec 9, 2020 1:30 PM CST
Cyndi Lauper's Youth Benefit Gets Help From Some Big Names
Billie Eilish, Dolly Parton, LL Cool J, Taylor Swift, Cher join annual homelessness event
- Taylor Swift, Cher, Billie Eilish, LL Cool J, and Dolly Parton are adding their voices to Cyndi Lauper's annual concert to combat youth homelessness, an issue the "True Colors" singer says has only gotten worse during the pandemic. "You can say, 'Stay home, protect yourself.'...
Waging War on ...
Dec 2, 2020 8:03 AM CST
Portlanders Waging War on ... Port-a-Potties
Units are meant to benefit the homeless population
- Residents of Portland, Ore., should "take a minute to think about what it would be like to not have working plumbing in their homes … before sending profanity-laden threats." That's the message from Heather Hafer, a public information officer, whose initial excitement at $75,000 per month...
Oct 31, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Strangers Take Action After Seeing 'Anguished' Man's Photo
They find Sang Yang living on the streets of LA, and drive him back home
- An image of a homeless man inspired a group of strangers to find him and drive him over 2,000 miles back to his home state, ABC10 reports. Daniel Lee was among people who read about Sang Yang's plight on a photographer's website : Sang was described as being...
Homeless Woman Caught
Dancing After Job Interview
Oct 3, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Homeless Woman Caught Dancing After Job Interview
'I was elated, excited and so overwhelmed,' says Kayallah Jones
- Kayallah Jones had a good reason to dance, and she sure did. The Atlanta woman broke into what ABC7 calls "a happy dance" after a September job interview at a restaurant called The Spot. Surveillance cameras captured Jones—who had endured two years of homelessness—breaking free in the...
Gave Away Squatter
Aug 17, 2020 7:09 AM CDT
Cops: Blankets Gave Away Squatter in Stadium's Luxury Suite
'He made himself quite at home': Fla. police on homeless man's alleged 2-week stay at stadium
- Al Lang Stadium in St. Petersburg is the home of the Tampa Bay Rowdies pro soccer team—and for at least two weeks, it was also the home of an uninvited visitor. Police in the Florida city say Daniel Albert Neja, a 39-year-old homeless man, was arrested Sunday evening at...
For Alex Trebek, $100K
Was Just the Beginning
Jun 27, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
For Alex Trebek, $100K Was Just the Beginning
The 'Jeopardy!' host keeps giving to a cause he believes in
- Alex Trebek showed his support for fighting homelessness in Los Angeles this week by handing over a dazzling $500,000 check, CNN reports. The
host was touring an under-construction shelter in North Hollywood on Tuesday with his wife, Jean, and son Matthew when he surprised his host with the...
Cops: Man Poisoned
Jun 12, 2020 5:06 AM CDT
Cops: Man Poisoned Homeless People, Filmed Reactions
The crime 'shocks the conscience,' police say
- A California man is accused of poisoning at least eight homeless people in a crime that "shocks the conscience," authorities say. William Robert Cable, 38, and a juvenile male relative allegedly gave victims food laced with oleoresin capsicum, the main ingredient in pepper spray, and recorded them having...
Denzel Guides Police
as They Frisk Black Man
May 30, 2020 4:15 PM CDT
Denzel Guides Police as They Frisk Black Man
The actor is praised for stepping in to help a homeless man
- Social media is applauding Denzel Washington for helping out a homeless man in Los Angeles—an encounter that (as people are pointing out) ended much differently than the arrest of George Floyd. Seems the Hollywood icon saw the man wandering out on La Cienega Blvd. and pulled over, then chatted...
Las Vegas Turns
Parking Lot Into
Apr 1, 2020 12:53 AM CDT
Las Vegas Turns Parking Lot Into Homeless 'Shelter'
Lines were painted for social distancing
- Homeless people in Las Vegas have been directed to sleep in rectangles painted on the pavement in a makeshift parking lot camp as a way to limit the spread of the coronavirus, a move that is stirring outrage by some on social media. Former Obama administration housing chief Julian Castro...
Homeless Man Lived
Secret Life Underground
in case you missed it
Mar 8, 2020 6:43 AM CDT
Homeless Man Lived Secret Life Underground
Dominic Van Allen built himself a bunker beneath a London park, but rangers finally found it
- In pricey London, Dominic Van Allen had found a sweet spot to live. "You had the train station, you had a cafe, you had a Starbucks, you had the hospital, you had the 168 bus, the 24, the 46," he recounts. "It was bloody brilliant." Even...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
After Guilty Verdict, Defendant Downs Drink in Court and Dies
National Archives Fact-Checks Trump on Obama Documents
Activists Fill Golf Holes With Cement
Star's Suspension Shakes Up MLB
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.