Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
NCAA women's basketball
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Jill Biden
White House Visit
Apr 7, 2023 11:34 AM CDT
After Jill Biden Brouhaha, LSU's Reese Rethinks White House Visit
NCAA women's basketball champ says she's a 'team player,' will go to DC
- Pretty much nobody applauded Jill Biden's idea to host both the winning team
the losing team of this year's NCAA women's basketball championship at the White House— including the star player for Iowa , the team that lost to LSU. On Tuesday, Biden's press secretary...
Caitlin Clark Has
Angel Reese's Back
Apr 5, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Caitlin Clark Has Angel Reese's Back
'I think everyone knew there was going to be a little trash talk'
- Even the losing team's star player agrees that only the winning team should visit the White House. "That's for LSU, they should enjoy every single second of being the champion," Iowa Hawkeyes player Caitlin Clark said in an appearance on ESPN Tuesday. "I think that'...
Jill Biden Wants
White House, Too
Apr 3, 2023 6:00 PM CDT
Jill Biden Wants Runners-Up at White House, Too
'It was such a great game,' first lady says of LSU's victory over Iowa
- First lady Jill Biden said Monday that she wants the defeated Iowa women's basketball team to be invited to the White House in addition to the national title winner Louisiana State University. She watched LSU's 102-85 victory from the stands on Sunday night. Biden, speaking at the Colorado...
LSU's Reese Unapologetic
After Championship Trash Talk
Apr 3, 2023 6:09 AM CDT
LSU's Reese Unapologetic After Championship Trash Talk
'Twitter is going to go on a rage every time, and I'm happy,' says winning player
- LSU is the new champ of women's college basketball, and star Angel Reese is very much the unapologetic center of attention as a result. During Sunday's 102-85 win in the championship game over Iowa, Reese directed some trash talk toward Iowa phenom Caitlin Clark that has sports fans...
Stanford Wins Women's
NCAA Title Against Arizona
Apr 5, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
Stanford Wins Women's NCAA Title Against Arizona
Women's basketball team last won the national championship in 1992
- Tara VanDerveer hugged each of her Stanford players as they climbed the ladder to cut down the nets, capping a taxing whirlwind journey and ending an exhausting championship drought for the Cardinal. It took 29 years, which included 10 weeks on the road this season because of the coronavirus, for...
NCAA Answers Women
on Unequal Weight Rooms
Mar 20, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
NCAA Answers Women on Unequal Weight Rooms
Discussion expands to different treatment for men's, women's tournaments
- NCAA basketball administrators apologized to women's basketball players and coaches after inequities between the men's and women's tournaments went viral on social media and vowed to do better. NCAA Senior Vice President of Basketball Dan Gavitt vowed to do better during a Zoom call Friday, the AP...
How Tara VanDerveer
Plans to Mark Her 1,099th Win
Dec 16, 2020 10:55 AM CST
How Tara VanDerveer Plans to Mark Her 1,099th Win
Stanford coach to donate $10,990 to food banks
- Tara VanDerveer made history, and then took a moment to tell her Stanford players what they mean to her. VanDerveer became the winningest women's college basketball coach Tuesday night, passing the late Pat Summitt with her 1,099th victory as No. 1 Stanford romped to a 104-61 victory over...
Baylor Loses Star Player in
Frightening Scene, Wins Title
Apr 7, 2019 9:07 PM CDT
Baylor Loses Star Player in Frightening Scene, Wins Title
Lady Bears are champs for first time since 2012
- Baylor recovered after blowing a 17-point lead and losing a star player, beating Notre Dame 82-81 for the NCAA women's basketball championship Sunday night when 2018 tournament hero Arike Ogunbowale missed a foul shot in the final seconds. Chloe Jackson made a layup to put Baylor ahead with 3....
Notre Dame Junior Just
Redefined the Clutch Shot
Apr 2, 2018 4:03 AM CDT
Notre Dame Junior Just Redefined the Clutch Shot
Arike Ogunbowale hits second incredible game-winning basket in 2 days for the championship
- On Friday, Arike Ogunbowale hit one of the most clutch shots in NCAA women's basketball history with a last-second basket to beat mighty UConn and put Notre Dame in the championship game. How to top that? On Sunday, she hit
most clutch shot in tournament history to give...
Watch the Shot That
Knocks Out Mighty UConn
Mar 31, 2018 5:28 AM CDT
Watch the Shot That Knocks Out Mighty UConn
Notre Dame women advance to finals
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma and the Huskies have dropped two of their last 149 games. Last-second overtime shots ended their season each time. At the Final Four. A year after their 111-game winning streak was stopped by a historic shot by Morgan William and Mississippi State, the Huskies fell Friday...
An 88-Point Win Is
Nothing to Cheer About
Mar 18, 2018 12:16 PM CDT
An 88-Point Win Is Nothing to Cheer About
Sports writer criticizes UConn coach after blowout
- It was no surprise that women's NCAA powerhouse UConn knocked off 16th seed Saint Francis on Saturday, but the magnitude of the win is raising questions about sportsmanship. Consider that Connecticut won by 88, along the way setting a tournament record for total points (140) as well as all-time...
South Carolina Spoils
Mississippi State's Miracle
Apr 2, 2017 8:04 PM CDT
South Carolina Spoils Mississippi State's Miracle
SC wins the NCAA women's championship 67-55
- South Carolina has spoiled the miracle for Mississippi State. A'ja Wilson and Allisha Gray both had double-doubles and the Gamecocks beat the Bulldogs 67-55 to win the NCAA women's championship in an all-Southeastern Conference matchup of first-time finalists Sunday night. The loss for Mississippi State came two days...
4th Straight Title
Apr 6, 2016 12:19 AM CDT
UConn Wins 4th Straight Title
Victory over Syracuse caps flawless season
- Breanna Stewart and UConn stand alone. Geno Auriemma, too, after another flawless season by the dominating Huskies. UConn won an unprecedented fourth straight national championship Tuesday night, capping another perfect season by routing Syracuse 82-51, the AP reports. Until now, only the UCLA men's team had won four in...
NCAA Moves Up
for Dying Player
Oct 24, 2014 7:09 AM CDT
NCAA Moves Up Season Opener for Dying Player
Mount St. Joseph's Lauren Hill has brain tumor
- The NCAA normally doesn't let its teams open their seasons in early November, but Cincinnati's Mount St. Joseph will do so against Hiram College on Nov. 2, reports the AP . The reason for the exception? No. 22. That would be the Mount's 19-year-old Lauren Hill, who has...
Grow Up, Folks,
Lay Off Baylor's
Apr 4, 2012 1:55 PM CDT
Grow Up, Folks, Lay Off Baylor's Brittney Griner
Enough with the 'man' jokes, say two writers
- Brittney Griner is a force in women's college basketball, the proof being Baylor's shiny new trophy . The 21-year-old also happens to be 6-foot-8 and muscular, and she speaks in a low voice. Cue the "she's-a-man" jokes on Twitter and elsewhere. (Notre Dame's coach said after...
Apr 4, 2012 12:08 AM CDT
Griner, Baylor Win Title, Cap Perfect 40-0 Season
Baylor star dominates NCAA women's championship game
- Brittney Griner's place in women's basketball history is secure. Blocking layups, snagging rebounds, hitting shots over two and three helpless defenders, she towered over the competition all season long to earn player of the year and outstanding player of the NCAA tournament honors. She was simply dominant in...
Texas A&M Women
Win NCAA Title
Apr 5, 2011 10:28 PM CDT
Texas A&M Women Win NCAA Title
Aggies beat Notre Dame 76-70 for first title
- Danielle Adams scored 22 of her 30 points in a dominating second half and Texas A&M beat Notre Dame 76-70 on Tuesday night to win its first national championship. Texas A&M built an early 13-point lead with its aggressive defense, fell behind by seven in the second half,...
Stanford Busts UConn's
90-Game Win Streak
Dec 30, 2010 10:40 PM CST
Stanford Busts UConn's 90-Game Win Streak
Connecticut finally falls, 71-59
- Top-ranked Connecticut's record 90-game winning streak is over. The Huskies never led and were beaten by No. 9 Stanford 71-59 tonight, ending a run that drew national attention to women's basketball. Stanford was the last school to beat the Huskies, in the 2008 NCAA semifinals.
UConn Women's Team
Wins Record 89th Straight
Dec 21, 2010 9:24 PM CST
UConn Women's Team Wins Record 89th Straight
Huskies beat mark set by UCLA men's team in 1970s
- Men's teams. Women's teams. No. 89 belongs to UConn. It beats them all. The Huskies women's basketball team topped the 88-game winning streak set by John Wooden's UCLA men's team from 1971-74, beating Florida State 93-62 tonight. Playing with the relentlessness that has become its trademark—and would have made...
NCAA Gets First Openly Transgender B-Ball Player
Nov 2, 2010 8:32 PM CDT
NCAA Gets First Openly Transgender B-Ball Player
Kye Allums debuts as a man this season
- When George Washington University’s basketball season begins later this month, an openly transgender player will play on the women’s team for the first time in Division I. Kye Allums (formerly Kay-Kay) has played for the team since 2008. Teammates knew Allums then as female, but she subsequently came...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.