Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news and reports about lottery winners on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Went to
Milk for His
Kids, Won Big
Jan 1, 2022 8:00 AM CST
He Went to Get Chocolate Milk for His Kids, Won Big
Virginia's Dennis Willoughby scoops up $1M lottery jackpot after 7-Eleven run
- A Virginia dad who made a chocolate milk run for his kids came home with a lot more than cow juice. According to Virginia Lottery official s, Dennis Willoughby headed over to his local 7-Eleven in Richmond last month to pick up the beverage for his young ones, but while...
Man Buys Identical Lottery
Tickets and Wins Twice
Dec 5, 2021 1:35 PM CST
Man Buys Identical Lottery Tickets and Wins Twice
2 tickets, 2 jackpots
- A North Carolina man is feeling very lucky...for being so forgetful. Per CNN , 49-year-old Scotty Thomas bought one of the state's Lucky for Life tickets online for $2 but later couldn't recall whether he'd done so or not. “I was just laying in bed watching...
His Lottery Ticket
Held a Good Omen,
Was a Big Win
Dec 1, 2021 10:05 AM CST
His Lottery Ticket Held a Good Omen, Was a Big Win
Heart surgery patient Alexander McLeish found his initials on ticket before winning $1M prize
- When Alexander McLeish was recovering from open-heart surgery last month, a friend bought the Massachusetts man a "get well" card and put three scratch-off tickets inside. Turns out one of those tickets was a winner, netting the Attleboro man a $1 million prize, reports WWLP . Per a release from...
Giving In to Wife’s Demands
Turns Out Well for Him
Nov 6, 2021 10:13 AM CDT
Giving In to Wife’s Demands Turns Out Well for Him
She wanted to buy a lottery ticket and he wanted to rush home and watch football
- A man in Missouri got what could be the ultimate lesson in marriage: Sometimes, saying “yes, dear” can pay off. In his case, it really, really paid off. The Jackson County man, not identified by Missouri Lottery officials, just wanted to drive home and watch the football game on...
Someone Just Won 7th-Largest
Jackpot in US Lottery History
Oct 5, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
Someone Just Won 7th-Largest Jackpot in US Lottery History
Winning ticket for $700M Powerball pot was sold in California
- After 40 drawings without a big Powerball winner, a single ticket sold in California matched all six numbers and was the lucky winner of the nearly $700 million jackpot prize, officials said. The winning numbers drawn Monday night were 12, 22, 54, 66, and 69. The Powerball was 15. Thanks...
On Day of His Shop's Grand
Opening, a Big Surprise
Sep 11, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
On Day of His Shop's Grand Opening, a Big Surprise
Fla. man wins $1M jackpot on same day he launched his auto repair business
- For Brian Woodle, the day he and his wife opened up their new auto repair shop was the culmination of a longtime goal. "I love working on vehicles and it has always been my dream," the 46-year-old from Callahan, Fla., says, per a Florida Lottery release , which adds...
Lottery Luck Was Too Fishy
in case you missed it
Aug 28, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Prosecutors: Family's Lottery Luck Was Too Fishy
Massachusetts' Ali Jaafar, 2 sons accused of $21M fraud
- Ali Jaafar, 63, was the top individual lottery ticket casher in Massachusetts in 2019. His sons Mohamed, 31, and Yousef, 28, were third and fourth respectively, per Complex . According to prosecutors, family luck had nothing to do with it. In reality, the three men who cashed in more than 13,...
Woman, Daughter Killed
9 Months After Lottery Win
Aug 10, 2021 2:18 PM CDT
Woman, Daughter Killed 9 Months After Lottery Win
Tiffani Hill died in Oklahoma murder-suicide
- Tiffani Hill became a wealthy woman with a $2 million scratch-off lottery win in California last year, but family members say she was still unable to escape domestic violence. Police say Hill, 32, and her 23-month-old daughter Leanne were shot to death last week by 42-year-old John Donato, who then...
Cleaning Out a Drawer
Earns Man $1M
Jul 11, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
Cleaning Out a Drawer Earns Man $1M
Finding a months-old winning lottery ticket is a nice reward for doing chores
- Cleaning out the junk drawer, like virtue, is supposed to be its own reward. But a million bucks would be nice, too. Kenneth Morgan of Jacksonville, Florida, was tidying up over the Fourth of July weekend when he found an old lottery ticket, UPI reports. He’d bought the winner...
Jun 18, 2021 8:40 AM CDT
Someone Won $731M Here. Now, 'Strange Things' Are Happening
Powerball mystery continues in Lonaconing, Md.
- Whoever won this Powerball jackpot "is no fool." That's the assessment of the
, which covers a group of still-anonymous $731 million lottery winners in Lonaconing, Md., and the "strange things" that have been happening since the win was announced in January. Everyone in the...
He Hit It Big in
the Lottery, Then
Blew It All. Now,
a Tragic End
Jun 12, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
He Hit It Big in the Lottery, Then Blew It All. Now, a Tragic End
Body of 69-year-old Leroy Fick found in Michigan's Tittabawassee River
- A sad ending out of Michigan to a story that should've had a happier one. MLive.com reports that a body was found last Saturday floating in the Tittabawassee River, near Northwood University in Midland. Police have now IDed the body as 69-year-old Leroy Fick, an Auburn resident who...
Man Flabbergasted He Won
$1M Forgets About Gas Pump
Jun 6, 2021 8:55 AM CDT
Man Flabbergasted He Won $1M Forgets About Gas Pump
The Michigan man exited the Fenton gas station with the pump still attached to his car
- It's not unreasonable to think you might have a crazy reaction to learning you just won $1 million. That appears to be the case in Fenton, Michigan, where a 59-year-old man stopped at a Speedway for gas and bought a Winning Millions ticket while at the station. He says...
Woman Throws Away
$1M Lottery Ticket,
Gets It Back
May 24, 2021 12:21 PM CDT
Woman Throws Away $1M Lottery Ticket, Gets It Back
Store's owners reunited Massachusetts woman with discarded winning ticket
- A Massachusetts woman who accidentally tossed out a $1 million lottery ticket eventually collected her winnings thanks to the kindness and honesty of the owners of the store where she bought it. Lea Rose Fiega bought the $30 Diamond Millions scratch-off ticket in March at the Lucky Stop convenience store...
$26M Lotto Ticket's Likely Fate
Is the Stuff of Nightmares
in case you missed it
May 16, 2021 12:00 PM CDT
$26M Lotto Ticket's Likely Fate Is the Stuff of Nightmares
Calif. convenience store worker says the winner threw her ticket in wash by mistake
- The next time you kick yourself for leaving a pen or stick of gum in your pants pocket before throwing the laundry in the wash, take comfort that you're not this woman, a regular at a California convenience store who apparently now has the dubious distinction of being the...
Guy Finds Lost $1M
Lottery Ticket in Parking Lot
Mar 18, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
Guy Finds Lost $1M Lottery Ticket in Parking Lot
Close call for an almost unlucky Tennessee man
- No one was more excited than Nick Slatten when he discovered he'd hit it big last week in the Tennessee lottery—and no one was more frantic than Nick Slatten when he subsequently lost the winning ticket. Slatten, who lives in Sparta, had picked up a Tennessee Cash ticket...
4 Lottery Winners Splitting
$557M Plan to Pay It Forward
Mar 12, 2021 4:05 PM CST
4 Lottery Winners Splitting $557M Plan to Pay It Forward
Club took the $1.05 billion Mega Millions jackpot
- A four-member suburban Detroit lottery club won a $1.05 billion Mega Millions jackpot and will receive $557 million after taxes, officials said Friday. The winners claimed their prize weeks after the Jan. 22 drawing and chose the immediate lump sum option. After taxes, the $776 million prize was reduced...
Odds of Her
1 in 282M
Feb 8, 2021 11:46 AM CST
Odds of Her Lottery Feat: 1 in 282M
Idaho's Orlene Peterson hit it big on 2 consecutive days for a total of $500K
- Was Orlene Peterson carrying around a rabbit's foot or four-leaf clover in her pocket late last month? Per a CNN report on the Idaho woman's two big lottery wins—$200,000 first, then $300,000 the very next day—it sure seems that way. A release from the...
for 6th Time
Feb 1, 2021 12:11 PM CST
Man Wins Idaho Lottery for 6th Time
Business owner scores $250K jackpot
- Idaho's Bryan Moss says he plays the state lottery to support public schools—but the fact that he keeps winning is probably also an incentive. The lottery says the Meridian resident won $250,000 in a Crossword scratch game last week, his sixth "large win" but his first...
Day Started So Badly He Went
Back to Bed—Then Won $2M
Jan 27, 2021 9:00 AM CST
Day Started So Badly He Went Back to Bed—Then Won $2M
First a crash in his new car, then a lottery win for Anthony Dowe
- An unlucky start to a North Carolina man's day turned upside down when he discovered he won a $2 million lottery prize hours after hitting two deer with his new car. Anthony Dowe, of Leland, had an accident on his way to work, the North Carolina Education Lottery said...
20 Years After Dream,
Numbers Lead to
Jan 25, 2021 7:15 PM CST
20 Years After Dream, Numbers Lead to $47M Jackpot
Canadian winner was laid off due to pandemic
- After a set of numbers came to her husband in a dream, Deng Pravatoudom played them faithfully in the lottery for 20 years, and last month, she finally won ... another lottery ticket. The numbers on that "Free Play" ticket in Ontario's Lotto Max won a jackpot of $60...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
She Died on African Hunting Trip. 5 Years Later, Husband Is Arrested
Killer Pardoned by Governor Sentenced Again in Same Crime
Experts Say Anne Frank Bombshell Is 'Full of Errors'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.