Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ford to Make
Its Most 'Dramatic'
Sep 28, 2021 7:54 AM CDT
Ford to Make Its Most 'Dramatic' Investment Ever
Automaker to build assembly plant, 3 factories for EV batteries in South, with hopes of 10.8K jobs
- Ford and a partner company say they plan to build three major electric-vehicle battery factories and an auto assembly plant by 2025—a dramatic investment in the future of EV technology that will create an estimated 10,800 jobs and shift the automaker's future manufacturing footprint toward the South....
GM Hits Ford
Jul 24, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
GM Hits Ford With Trademark Infringement Suit
Automakers disagree about having 'Cruise' in a name
- General Motors has said "not so fast" to Ford's plans to soon add a new hands-free highway driving system to vehicles. The issue is the name, BlueCruise,
reports. GM finds that too close to Super Cruise, its own hands-free technology, and Cruise, the automaker's subsidiary...
After a 25-Year Absence, an
Iconic SUV Is 'Out of the Corral'
Jun 15, 2021 9:05 AM CDT
After a 25-Year Absence, an Iconic SUV Is 'Out of the Corral'
Ford has started shipping the 2021 Bronco to dealers
- One of Ford's most iconic vehicles hasn't left the factory for a quarter-century, but this week, assembly lines are up and running again. "The Broncos are out of the gates, out of the corral," a manager at the Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne told reporters on...
Electric F-150 Has Unusual
Perk: Ability to Power a Home
May 20, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Electric F-150 Has Unusual Perk: Ability to Power a Home
Ford says it would keep a house going in a blackout for about 3 days
- Ford unveiled its electric version of the popular F-150 pickup on Wednesday, and even outlets that don't typically pay much attention to such things have taken notice. The F-150 has long been the bestselling vehicle in America, and the 2022 Lightning is designed to appeal to "everyday truck...
Ford Finds Great Homes
for $100K Worth of Leather
Mar 25, 2021 2:05 AM CDT
Ford Finds Great Homes for $100K Worth of Leather
It will go to local businesses helping veterans, domestic abuse survivors
- Ford is finding all kinds of forgotten treasures as it prepares to demolish its product development center in Dearborn, Michigan—including leather worth more than $100,000. The company says around 250 cowhides that were to have become seat covers in high-end Ford vehicles will be donated to two small...
Ford's Move Suggests
Work From Home
Will Outlast COVID
Mar 17, 2021 1:03 PM CDT
Ford's Move Suggests Work From Home Will Outlast COVID
30K told they can work from home indefinitely
- It's a question occupying the minds of millions of employees who have worked from home the past year: Will they still be allowed to work remotely—at least some days—once the pandemic has faded? On Wednesday, one of America's corporate titans, Ford Motor Co., supplied its own...
Ford Drops Pickup Ads for
'Finish Strong' COVID Campaign
Dec 31, 2020 10:55 AM CST
Ford Drops Pickup Ads for 'Finish Strong' COVID Campaign
Ads will air during football games starting Friday
- Ford is using slots it had booked to promote its new F-150 pickup for ads that make no mention of motor vehicles. The nationwide "Finish Strong" campaign urges Americans not to abandon COVID precautions during this crucial phase of the pandemic, NBC News reports. The 30-second ad will debut...
Musk to US: You Owe Me
Tariff Money, Plus Interest
Sep 24, 2020 8:21 AM CDT
Musk to US: You Owe Me Tariff Money, Plus Interest
Tesla, other major automakers suing the government over trade war with China
- Elon Musk isn't just calling for the US to end new tariffs on Chinese products—he wants a refund for the money's he already paid, plus interest. Musk's car company, Tesla, filed a lawsuit against the US this week over the import tariffs, as did automakers Ford,...
After George Floyd Death,
a Big Ask by Ford Workers
Jul 10, 2020 5:40 PM CDT
After George Floyd Death, a Big Ask by Ford Workers
Employee letter wants company to stop making police vehicles; that doesn't look likely
- Ford Motor Co. makes about two-thirds of America's police vehicles , so a recent ask by some of the automaker's workers in the wake of protests over the death of George Floyd, racism, and police brutality is a significant one: They want the company to consider not making and...
Ford Picks Odd Day
to Release Its New Bronco
Jun 16, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Ford Picks Odd Day to Release Its New Bronco
'Purely coincidental' that SUV's debut will be on July 9, OJ Simpson's birthday
- Either the Ford Motor Company has a twisted sense of humor or it failed to realize it would be unveiling its new Bronco on OJ Simpson's birthday. The Bronco—heading back into production for the first time since 1996—is almost synonymous with the former football star and murder...
Michigan AG Says Trump
Going Maskless Could Be Issue
May 22, 2020 8:10 AM CDT
Michigan AG Says Trump Going Maskless Could Be Issue
For Ford, specifically
- President Trump's Thursday visit to a Michigan manufacturing plant didn't just draw headlines—it could draw trouble for Ford. Dana Nessel told CNN late Thursday the company could face consequences for allowing Trump to skip wearing a mask during a visit to a Ford plant that now produces...
He Created the 'Greatest
Icon in Automotive History'
May 1, 2020 12:42 PM CDT
He Created the 'Greatest Icon in Automotive History'
Gale Halderman, who led team that designed the original Ford Mustang, is dead at age 87
- The very first Ford Mustang was scooped up in 1964 for around $3,400 , and over the next year and a half, a million-plus more were sold. The original pony car has since become a legend among cars. On Wednesday, the lead designer of that legend died. The
Auto Workers: Forget the
Risks, We're Doing This
Apr 25, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Auto Workers: Forget the Risks, We're Doing This
Hundreds of workers from Ford, GM, and other companies are making medical gear
- Cindy Parkhurst could have stayed home collecting most of her pay while the Ford plant where she normally works remains closed due to coronavirus fears. Instead, she along with hundreds of workers at Ford, General Motors, Toyota, and other companies has gone back to work to make face shields, surgical...
Trump Invokes Act to Compel
GM to Make Ventilators
Mar 27, 2020 3:34 PM CDT
Trump Invokes Act to Compel GM to Make Ventilators
Earlier, he lashed out at General Motors and Ford
- President Trump lashed out at US automakers Friday and demanded they begin making ventilators to help hospitals cope with the pandemic. Hours after airing his complaints on social media, Trump invoked the Defense Production Act to require that General Motors make the machines, reports the
. The act gives...
Automakers Close All
North American Plants
Mar 18, 2020 4:22 PM CDT
Automakers Close All North American Plants
Unemployment applications soar across the country
- At the UAW's insistence, Ford, General Motors, and Fiat Chrysler decided Wednesday to close all of their plants in North America to combat the spread of the coronavirus. The plants won't restart before March 30 for Ford and GM, the
Detroit Free Press
reports. Fiat Chrysler has not...
Tesla Mocked by
Surprise Troll on
Nov 27, 2019 6:21 AM CST
Tesla Mocked by Surprise Troll on 'Unbreakable' Cybertruck
Lego's vehicle is 'guaranteed shatterproof'
- Elon Musk says the orders are pouring in for Tesla's new Cybertruck, despite the onstage demo fail that generated worldwide mockery. Now, a surprise troll is mocking the electric car company with its own debut. Mashable reports that early Tuesday, Danish toy company Lego put up a promo on...
Ford Unveils Electric
Mustang Mach E Suv
Nov 18, 2019 3:11 AM CST
Ford Unveils Electric Mustang Mach E Suv
It can go up to 300 miles on a single charge
- Ford is unveiling its first all-electric SUV, marking the start of an avalanche of battery-powered vehicles coming from mainstream and luxury automakers during the next two years that industry analysts say will boost electric vehicle sales. The Mustang Mach E, which will go 230 miles to more than 300 miles...
Ford Deal Includes $9K Bonuses
Oct 31, 2019 7:15 PM CDT
Ford Deal Includes $9K Bonuses
No layoffs are planned, but one engine plant would close
- The tentative Ford-UAW labor agreement calls for $9,000 signing bonuses for workers and the closing of a Michigan engine plant. About 600 union members work at the Romeo Engine Plant north of Detroit, CNBC reports, but none would be laid off. The workers could choose taking a job at...
Lee Iacocca Dies at 94
Jul 3, 2019 12:34 AM CDT
Lee Iacocca Dies at 94
Auto industry giant turned around Chrysler in the '80s
- From the Mustang to the Jeep Grand Cherokee—with the Pinto, K-cars, and the minivan in between—Lee Iacocca left a mark on the American auto industry like few others. The former Ford and Chrysler chief, who became the quintessential tough-talking celebrity CEO after engineering a remarkable turnaround at the...
7K White-Collar Workers
Losing Jobs at Ford
May 20, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
7K White-Collar Workers Losing Jobs at Ford
Company says it's trying to become more efficient
- Ford is cutting about 7,000 white-collar jobs, which would make up 10% of its global workforce. The company said the plan will save about $600 million per year by eliminating bureaucracy and increasing the number of workers reporting to each manager, per the AP . In the US, about 2,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After 24-Hour Treatment, Frogs Started Regrowing Lost Limbs
After Bridge Collapses, a Human Chain Forms
Retrieval of Sunken F35 Is 'Vitally Important' for US
Buffalo Bills Have Fans Arrested Over Their Vaccine Cards
Michael Madsen: Son's Death Is 'Mind-Blowing'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.