Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ignored Warning Signs
Feb 9, 2022 8:26 AM CST
Witnesses: Crumbley Ignored Warning Signs
Jennifer Crumbley's boss says she texted, 'Don't judge me for what my son did' after Oxford shooting
- Jennifer Crumbley told her boss and co-worker that she felt like a failure as a parent hours before her son opened fire at Michigan's Oxford High School, killing four people with a gun his parents had bought him as a gift, according to court testimony. Andrew Smith, CEO of...
Couple Whose Kids Died
in Flood Hear Their Fate
Jan 28, 2022 1:37 PM CST
Couple Whose Kids Died in Flood Hear Their Fate
Daniel Rawlings, who drove around barricade near swollen Arizona creek, and wife get probation
The parents of two children killed after the father drove their military-style vehicle around a barricade and straight into a flooded creek in Arizona won't be serving jail time.
reports that Judge Timothy Wright sentenced Daniel Rawlings to 60 months of supervised probation and 1,000 hours...
Guilty to Manslaughter
in Boyfriend's Suicide
Dec 24, 2021 12:05 AM CST
Woman Pleads Guilty to Manslaughter in Boyfriend's Suicide
Prosecutors say she told him to take his life 'hundreds of times'
The girlfriend of a Boston College student who jumped to his death on the morning of his graduation day has pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in connection with his 2019 death. Inyoung You, now 23, received a two-and-a-half-year jail sentence, but it's suspended for 10 years, meaning as...
Parents of Oxford Suspect
Caught After Manhunt
Dec 4, 2021 5:30 AM CST
Parents of Oxford Suspect Caught After Manhunt
James and Jennifer Crumbley seemed 'distressed' when found in Detroit commercial building
- The parents of a teen accused of killing four students in a shooting at a Michigan high school were caught early Saturday, several hours after a prosecutor filed involuntary manslaughter charges against them, officials said. James and Jennifer Crumbley were captured in a commercial building in Detroit that housed artwork,...
Criminal Charges for 3
in Fatal Duck-Boat Accident
Jul 16, 2021 11:42 AM CDT
Criminal Charges for 3 in Fatal Duck-Boat Accident
17 died on vessel that sank in 2018 in Branson, Mo.
- A local prosecutor on Friday filed a total of 63 felony criminal charges against three employees over a July 2018 tourist boat accident on a Missouri lake that killed 17 people. The charges were filed in Stone County against the captain, the general manager, and the manager on duty the...
Frat Member Charged With
Killing His 'Little Brother'
Apr 30, 2021 10:28 AM CDT
Frat Member Charged With Killing His 'Little Brother'
Involuntary manslaughter charges laid in hazing death of Bowling Green student Stone Foltz
- A grand jury has indicted eight people, including seven students at Ohio's Bowling Green State University, in connection with the death of a 20-year-old business major following an off-campus party. Stone Foltz died March 7 , three days after he attended a Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity event at a house,...
Man Guilty in Fire That
Killed 36 Won't Go Back to Jail
Mar 9, 2021 5:58 PM CST
Man Guilty in Fire That Killed 36 Won't Go Back to Jail
Derick Almena will serve sentence at home
- Derick Almena, the master tenant of a San Francisco Bay Area warehouse that caught fire during a music event , killing 36 people, was sentenced Monday to 12 years in prison, although he is unlikely to spend more time in jail. Already on house arrest after being released from jail last...
She Was Killed by a Falling
Log. Now, a Guilty Plea
Oct 1, 2020 8:45 AM CDT
She Was Killed by a Falling Log. Now, a Guilty Plea
Jordan Buckley, 17, admits to involuntary manslaughter in death of 44-year-old photographer
- A 17-year-old who pushed a log off a cliff at an Ohio park over Labor Day weekend last year, killing a mom of four, has pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter. Jordan Buckley, who'd originally faced murder and reckless homicide charges, put in his plea last Friday regarding the death...
'I Am Truly
Sep 17, 2020 6:30 PM CDT
'I Am Truly Sorry': Teen Admits He Helped Kill Photographer
Jaden Churchheus takes bended knee in an Ohio court
- An Ohio teenager admitted Wednesday to his role in killing a photographer by mistake,
reports. Jaden Churchheus, 17, said in court that he and another teen pushed a log off a cliff that killed Victoria Schafer as she snapped photos in Hocking Hills State Park. "That day at...
Porn Star Arrested in
Deadly Toad Venom Case
Jun 4, 2020 11:25 AM CDT
Porn Star Arrested in Deadly Toad Venom Case
Nacho Vidal is manslaughter suspect after photographer dies after reported shamanic ritual
- Last July, fashion photographer Jose Luis Abad died in Spain after authorities say he inhaled vapors from toad venom during a shamanic ritual. Now, the
and BBC report three people have been arrested, including a porn star who hawks penis-shaped candles on Twitter . Nacho Vidal (real name: Ignacio Jorda...
Nov 20, 2019 6:20 PM CST
9 Charged After Student Dies Amid Alleged Frat Hazing
Indictments include involuntary manslaughter and reckless homicide
- The death of an Ohio University student and a related investigation into alleged hazing by fraternity members has led to charges against nine people, including two former students indicted for involuntary manslaughter and another for reckless homicide, the AP reports. The Athens County prosecutor announced indictments Tuesday related to the...
Woman Charged in
College Boyfriend's Suicide
Oct 28, 2019 2:34 PM CDT
Woman Charged in College Boyfriend's Suicide
Alexander Urtula jumped to his death the morning of his Boston College graduation
- Alexander Urtula was due to graduate from Boston College at 10am on May 20. But by 8:30 that morning, he was dead by suicide. Now, his girlfriend has been charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection with his death. The
New York Times
reports the 22-year-old biology major jumped from...
Why One Man Didn't Make It
Out of a Maryland House Alive
in case you missed it
Sep 22, 2019 2:20 PM CDT
Why One Man Didn't Make It Out of a Maryland House Alive
A look at Daniel Beckwitt's desire for a bunker and Askia Khafra's resulting death
- In April, Daniel Beckwitt was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter and second-degree, "depraved heart" murder in the death of Askia Khafra and later sentenced to 9 years . It was a headline-grabbing case: The 21-year-old died in a fire at Beckwitt's Bethesda, Maryland, home, where Khafra had been toiling...
She's a 'Model Inmate.' The
Parole Board Wasn't Swayed
Sep 20, 2019 1:27 PM CDT
She's a 'Model Inmate.' The Parole Board Wasn't Swayed
Michelle Carter, who encouraged her BF to kill himself, sent back to Massachusetts prison
- Michelle Carter , behind bars for involuntary manslaughter after she encouraged her boyfriend to kill himself, was hoping to get out of prison early. The 22-year-old appeared before a Massachusetts parole board Thursday to make her case, but BuzzFeed News reports that her request was denied. Carter has served 7...
She Told Boyfriend
to Die. Now She
Wants to Go to
Jul 9, 2019 6:11 AM CDT
She Told Boyfriend to Die. Now She Wants to Go to Supreme Court
Michelle Carter's lawyers say her 'words alone' shouldn't make her liable for Conrad Roy's death
- Michelle Carter's "words alone" shouldn't be to blame for the death of Conrad Roy. That's the premise her legal team is pushing in a new petition asking the Supreme Court to review her case in her quest to get her involuntary manslaughter conviction overturned, BuzzFeed...
Wealthy Man Wanted a Secret
Bunker, Got a Cell Instead
Jun 18, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
Wealthy Man Wanted a Secret Bunker, Got a Cell Instead
Daniel Beckwitt handed 21 years, with all but 9 suspended, in death of Askia Khafra
- During Daniel Beckwitt's trial, his lawyer explained the Maryland man wanted to build a bunker below his Bethesda home due to his fear of a nuke attack by North Korea. He'll now spend his time in a different sort of confined space. The
New York Times
He Admitted Killing His Wife at
Sea. Now He Learns His Fate
May 29, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
He Admitted Killing His Wife at Sea. Now He Learns His Fate
Lewis Bennett to be reunited with daughter in 8 years
- He faced up to eight years in prison, and that's what he got. Lewis Bennett—who admitted to involuntary manslaughter in the May 2017 death of his wife at sea, three months after their wedding—received eight years in federal prison at his Tuesday sentencing in Miami, reports ABC...
It's Official: She Died at Sea.
Now, Her Husband's Sentencing
May 15, 2019 10:35 AM CDT
It's Official: She Died at Sea. Now, Her Husband's Sentencing
Lewis Bennett to be sentenced amid uncertainty on how exactly Isabella Hellmann died
- The declaration of his wife's presumed death at sea has arrived two years after Lewis Bennett requested it , but under very different circumstances than he might've then imagined. A judge has declared May 14, 2017, as the death date for Isabella Hellmann—who was on a sailing honeymoon...
He 'Rotted to Death.'
Ohio's AG Blames Nurses
Feb 15, 2019 11:39 AM CST
He 'Rotted to Death.' Ohio's AG Blames Nurses
7 accused of mistreating patients in Columbus
- Seven nurses in Ohio face a combined 34 charges related to the alleged mistreatment of two patients in their care, including one who the state attorney general says "literally rotted to death." Involuntary manslaughter, gross patient neglect, and forgery are among the charges levied against six current and...
I Told Him Not to
Play With Guns.
Then, a Shot
Jan 26, 2019 8:00 AM CST
Cop's Partner: I Told Him Not to Play With Guns. Then, a Shot
Authorities: Nathaniel Hendren 'mishandled' gun while playing Russian roulette; cop Katlyn Alix died
- A St. Louis police officer is dead, and authorities say her death came at the hands of one of her colleagues while they were playing Russian roulette.
reports that 24-year-old officer Katlyn Alix was shot and killed while off-duty early Thursday in the apartment of fellow officer Nathaniel...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Bodycam Footage Shows Akron Officers Opening Fire
'Denmark Was Hit by a Cruel Attack on Sunday Night'
Child Dies in Hot Car While Mother Is at Work
Hunt for 9 Tons of Lost Gold Leads to ... a Long Story
Lake Search Completes Family Tragedy in Minnesota
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.