Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Charged in Death
of Jewish Protester
Nov 16, 2023 11:33 AM CST
College Professor Charged in Death of Jewish Protester
Loay Alnaji faces involuntary manslaughter charge in Nov. 6 death of Paul Kessler
- The 50-year-old suspect questioned in the death of a Jewish man during protests in California has now been arrested. Loay Alnaji was detained Thursday morning and was expected to be booked on a charge of involuntary manslaughter, said the Ventura County Sheriff's Office, per NBC News . Bail will be...
School Shooter's Parents Lose
Appeal, Will Stand Trial
Oct 3, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
School Shooter's Parents Lose Appeal, Will Stand Trial
Jennifer and James Crumbley face charges of involuntary manslaughter
- The Michigan Supreme Court turned down an appeal Tuesday, clearing the way for the parents of a teenager who killed four fellow students in a shooting at Oxford High School to face trial on involuntary manslaughter charges. James and Jennifer Crumbley are accused of making a gun available to Ethan...
Couple Said to
After Baby Dies
Dec 30, 2022 12:00 PM CST
Couple Said to Reject Modern Meds Charged After Baby Dies
Cops: Pennsylvania mom didn't call 911 when newborn started 'turning blue'; now, involuntary manslaughter charges
- A Pennsylvania couple who say they don't believe in conventional medicine and failed to take their ailing newborn son to the hospital are now facing involuntary manslaughter charges after the infant died. NBC News cites a release from the office of state Attorney General Josh Shapiro that lays out...
As Trial Begins on Fatal
Flight 447, a Big First in France
Oct 10, 2022 6:54 AM CDT
As Trial Begins on Fatal Flight 447, a Big First in France
Air France and Airbus are first French companies to face trial there after a plane crash
- Thirteen years after Air France Flight 447 plunged into the Atlantic Ocean during its journey from Rio de Janeiro to Paris, a nine-week manslaughter trial is finally beginning. Reuters reports that the trial starting Monday in the French capital is the first time that companies in that nation have faced...
Library Officer Is Killed
During Safety Training
Aug 5, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Library Officer Is Killed During Safety Training
Retired police officer in DC was showing her and others how to use extendable batons
- A retired police lieutenant enlisted to teach library officers how to use extendable batons shot and killed one of his pupils in Washington, DC, on Thursday, according to police. Jesse Porter, 58, is charged with involuntary manslaughter in the shooting death of Maurica Manyan, 25, of Indian Head, Md., a...
Ignored Warning Signs
Feb 9, 2022 8:26 AM CST
Witnesses: Crumbley Ignored Warning Signs
Jennifer Crumbley's boss says she texted, 'Don't judge me for what my son did' after Oxford shooting
- Jennifer Crumbley told her boss and co-worker that she felt like a failure as a parent hours before her son opened fire at Michigan's Oxford High School, killing four people with a gun his parents had bought him as a gift, according to court testimony. Andrew Smith, CEO of...
Couple Whose Kids Died
in Flood Hear Their Fate
Jan 28, 2022 1:37 PM CST
Couple Whose Kids Died in Flood Hear Their Fate
Daniel Rawlings, who drove around barricade near swollen Arizona creek, and wife get probation
The parents of two children killed after the father drove their military-style vehicle around a barricade and straight into a flooded creek in Arizona won't be serving jail time.
reports that Judge Timothy Wright sentenced Daniel Rawlings to 60 months of supervised probation and 1,000 hours...
Guilty to Manslaughter
in Boyfriend's Suicide
Dec 24, 2021 12:05 AM CST
Woman Pleads Guilty to Manslaughter in Boyfriend's Suicide
Prosecutors say she told him to take his life 'hundreds of times'
The girlfriend of a Boston College student who jumped to his death on the morning of his graduation day has pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in connection with his 2019 death. Inyoung You, now 23, received a two-and-a-half-year jail sentence, but it's suspended for 10 years, meaning as...
Parents of Oxford Suspect
Caught After Manhunt
Dec 4, 2021 5:30 AM CST
Parents of Oxford Suspect Caught After Manhunt
James and Jennifer Crumbley seemed 'distressed' when found in Detroit commercial building
- The parents of a teen accused of killing four students in a shooting at a Michigan high school were caught early Saturday, several hours after a prosecutor filed involuntary manslaughter charges against them, officials said. James and Jennifer Crumbley were captured in a commercial building in Detroit that housed artwork,...
Criminal Charges for 3
in Fatal Duck-Boat Accident
Jul 16, 2021 11:42 AM CDT
Criminal Charges for 3 in Fatal Duck-Boat Accident
17 died on vessel that sank in 2018 in Branson, Mo.
- A local prosecutor on Friday filed a total of 63 felony criminal charges against three employees over a July 2018 tourist boat accident on a Missouri lake that killed 17 people. The charges were filed in Stone County against the captain, the general manager, and the manager on duty the...
Frat Member Charged With
Killing His 'Little Brother'
Apr 30, 2021 10:28 AM CDT
Frat Member Charged With Killing His 'Little Brother'
Involuntary manslaughter charges laid in hazing death of Bowling Green student Stone Foltz
- A grand jury has indicted eight people, including seven students at Ohio's Bowling Green State University, in connection with the death of a 20-year-old business major following an off-campus party. Stone Foltz died March 7 , three days after he attended a Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity event at a house,...
Man Guilty in Fire That
Killed 36 Won't Go Back to Jail
Mar 9, 2021 5:58 PM CST
Man Guilty in Fire That Killed 36 Won't Go Back to Jail
Derick Almena will serve sentence at home
- Derick Almena, the master tenant of a San Francisco Bay Area warehouse that caught fire during a music event , killing 36 people, was sentenced Monday to 12 years in prison, although he is unlikely to spend more time in jail. Already on house arrest after being released from jail last...
She Was Killed by a Falling
Log. Now, a Guilty Plea
Oct 1, 2020 8:45 AM CDT
She Was Killed by a Falling Log. Now, a Guilty Plea
Jordan Buckley, 17, admits to involuntary manslaughter in death of 44-year-old photographer
- A 17-year-old who pushed a log off a cliff at an Ohio park over Labor Day weekend last year, killing a mom of four, has pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter. Jordan Buckley, who'd originally faced murder and reckless homicide charges, put in his plea last Friday regarding the death...
'I Am Truly
Sep 17, 2020 6:30 PM CDT
'I Am Truly Sorry': Teen Admits He Helped Kill Photographer
Jaden Churchheus takes bended knee in an Ohio court
- An Ohio teenager admitted Wednesday to his role in killing a photographer by mistake,
reports. Jaden Churchheus, 17, said in court that he and another teen pushed a log off a cliff that killed Victoria Schafer as she snapped photos in Hocking Hills State Park. "That day at...
Porn Star Arrested in
Deadly Toad Venom Case
Jun 4, 2020 11:25 AM CDT
Porn Star Arrested in Deadly Toad Venom Case
Nacho Vidal is manslaughter suspect after photographer dies after reported shamanic ritual
- Last July, fashion photographer Jose Luis Abad died in Spain after authorities say he inhaled vapors from toad venom during a shamanic ritual. Now, the
and BBC report three people have been arrested, including a porn star who hawks penis-shaped candles on Twitter . Nacho Vidal (real name: Ignacio Jorda...
Nov 20, 2019 6:20 PM CST
9 Charged After Student Dies Amid Alleged Frat Hazing
Indictments include involuntary manslaughter and reckless homicide
- The death of an Ohio University student and a related investigation into alleged hazing by fraternity members has led to charges against nine people, including two former students indicted for involuntary manslaughter and another for reckless homicide, the AP reports. The Athens County prosecutor announced indictments Tuesday related to the...
Woman Charged in
College Boyfriend's Suicide
Oct 28, 2019 2:34 PM CDT
Woman Charged in College Boyfriend's Suicide
Alexander Urtula jumped to his death the morning of his Boston College graduation
- Alexander Urtula was due to graduate from Boston College at 10am on May 20. But by 8:30 that morning, he was dead by suicide. Now, his girlfriend has been charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection with his death. The
New York Times
reports the 22-year-old biology major jumped from...
Why One Man Didn't Make It
Out of a Maryland House Alive
in case you missed it
Sep 22, 2019 2:20 PM CDT
Why One Man Didn't Make It Out of a Maryland House Alive
A look at Daniel Beckwitt's desire for a bunker and Askia Khafra's resulting death
- In April, Daniel Beckwitt was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter and second-degree, "depraved heart" murder in the death of Askia Khafra and later sentenced to 9 years . It was a headline-grabbing case: The 21-year-old died in a fire at Beckwitt's Bethesda, Maryland, home, where Khafra had been toiling...
She's a 'Model Inmate.' The
Parole Board Wasn't Swayed
Sep 20, 2019 1:27 PM CDT
She's a 'Model Inmate.' The Parole Board Wasn't Swayed
Michelle Carter, who encouraged her BF to kill himself, sent back to Massachusetts prison
- Michelle Carter , behind bars for involuntary manslaughter after she encouraged her boyfriend to kill himself, was hoping to get out of prison early. The 22-year-old appeared before a Massachusetts parole board Thursday to make her case, but BuzzFeed News reports that her request was denied. Carter has served 7...
She Told Boyfriend
to Die. Now She
Wants to Go to
Jul 9, 2019 6:11 AM CDT
She Told Boyfriend to Die. Now She Wants to Go to Supreme Court
Michelle Carter's lawyers say her 'words alone' shouldn't make her liable for Conrad Roy's death
- Michelle Carter's "words alone" shouldn't be to blame for the death of Conrad Roy. That's the premise her legal team is pushing in a new petition asking the Supreme Court to review her case in her quest to get her involuntary manslaughter conviction overturned, BuzzFeed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.