Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Michigan State University
Stories 1 - 20 |
Michigan State Suspends
Hitler Image Shown
Oct 23, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Michigan State Suspends Employee After Hitler Image Shown
University is reviewing procedures that led to controversial moment
- Michigan State athletic director Alan Haller said he has suspended an employee involved in allowing Adolf Hitler's image to be shown on videoboards before playing No. 2 Michigan, the AP reports. The employee, who was not named, will be paid pending an investigation that will help to determine potential...
Hitler Image on Scoreboard
Prompts Apology by MSU
Oct 22, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
Hitler Image on Scoreboard Prompts Apology by MSU
University blames outside content provider for quiz image
- Michigan State showed Adolf Hitler's image as part of a pregame quiz on videoboards before playing No. 2 Michigan on Saturday night, and later apologized for the content provided by an outside source. Hitler and Austria, his birthplace, flashed on the videoboards long enough for some on social media...
MSU Head Coach Fired
for 'Moral Turpitude'
Sep 27, 2023 12:58 PM CDT
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Mel Tucker admitted masturbating during phone call with sexual assault prevention activist
- Michigan State University has officially fired head football coach Mel Tucker for breaking the moral turpitude clause of the record $95 million contract he signed in 2021. Tucker was suspended earlier this month following a
report on sexual harassment allegations from Brenda Tracy, a rape survivor and activist...
MSU Makes Archaeological
Find on Its Own Campus
in case you missed it
Aug 19, 2023 9:26 AM CDT
MSU Makes Archaeological Find on Its Own Campus
Foundation of 142-year-old observatory is discovered
- Michigan State University was trying to install hammock poles near a dorm this summer. But instead of lounging there, one group of students will end up enjoying a very different perk. The
reports the construction crew alerted the university that they struck a hard surface while trying to...
Michigan Approves Gun Laws
on Campus Where 8 Were Shot
Apr 13, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Michigan Approves Gun Laws on Campus Where 8 Were Shot
Whitmer signs background check, safe storage legislation
- Anyone who wants to buy a gun in Michigan will have to undergo a background check, and gun owners will be required to safely store all firearms and ammunition when around minors under new laws signed Thursday by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. The signing took place on the Michigan State University...
Vanderbilt Responds to
MSU Shooting Using ChatGPT
Feb 21, 2023 7:24 AM CST
Vanderbilt Responds to MSU Shooting Using ChatGPT
2 associate deans will 'step back from their responsibilities' as a result
- Staff at Vanderbilt University's office of equity, diversity, and inclusion took an unconventional approach to their letter to students following the deadly shooting at Michigan State: They used ChatGPT to write it. Thursday's letter , which described "recent Michigan shootings" as "a tragic reminder of the importance...
Return to MSU
Feb 20, 2023 3:03 PM CST
Students, Faculty Return to MSU
Teachers urged to extend 'grace and flexibility' to students after mass shooting
- Michigan State University students and faculty returned to the East Lansing campus Monday as the university resumed normal operations one week after a gunman shot and killed three students and injured five others . The 50,000-student university's campus remained relatively quiet on the first day back, with many professors...
MSU Shooter's Note
Provides Possible Motive
Feb 17, 2023 4:13 AM CST
MSU Shooter's Note Provides Possible Motive
Anthony McRae 'felt slighted,' police say
- Michigan State University mass shooter Anthony McRae was carrying a two-page handwritten note that could suggest a possible motive, police say. Michigan State Police Lt. Rene Gonzalez told reporters Thursday that the 43-year-old listed more than a dozen possible targets, including MSU and a Meijer warehouse where he used to...
MSU Shooter Carried Note
Threatening NJ Schools
Feb 15, 2023 2:10 AM CST
MSU Shooter Carried Note Threatening NJ Schools
Relatives say Anthony McRae had ties to Trenton area
- Michigan State University gunman Anthony McRae was found with a note threatening two schools in Ewing Township, New Jersey, police say. Authorities in Ewing Township, which is just north of Trenton, said public schools were closed Tuesday out of an abundance of caution, though McRae killed himself after the Monday...
Father: MSU Gunman Turned
'Evil' After Mom's Death
Feb 14, 2023 2:42 PM CST
Father: MSU Gunman Turned 'Evil' After Mom's Death
Anthony McRae was charged with firearms offenses in 2019
- The man believed to have killed three Michigan State University students and injured five others in a mass shooting Monday night was a "good kid" who turned "evil and mean" after his mother died from a stroke in September 2020, his father says. Michael McRae tells NBC News...
Michigan State Student
Survived Sandy Hook, Too
Feb 14, 2023 12:45 PM CST
Michigan State Student Survived Sandy Hook, Too
'The fact that this is the second mass shooting that I have lived through is incomprehensible'
- As Michigan State University grapples with Monday night's mass shootings , one student in particular at the school is speaking out. "I am 21 years old, and this is the second mass shooting that I have now lived through," Jackie Matthews said in a TikTok video shared Tuesday,...
Lawmaker Has Terse Line
After Michigan Shooting
Feb 14, 2023 11:19 AM CST
Lawmaker Has Terse Line After Michigan Shooting
'F--- your thoughts and prayers,' says Rep. Ranjeev Puri on official letterhead
- Among the more typical politicians responding to Monday night's mass shooting at Michigan State University were:
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer :
"I want to thank the countless first responders for their swift actions on the ground tonight and the healthcare workers who poured into local hospitals to save lives."
Police Identify Shooter
at Michigan State
Feb 14, 2023 8:21 AM CST
Police Identify Shooter at Michigan State
Gunman, 43, was not an employee or student at the university
- Police have identified the gunman who killed three people and wounded five more at Michigan State University on Monday night as 43-year-old Anthony McRae, per the AP . At a news conference Tuesday, police also said all eight victims were MSU students, though their names have not yet been released,...
What We Know About
the Michigan State Shooting
Feb 14, 2023 6:25 AM CST
What We Know About the Michigan State Shooting
3 dead, 5 wounded, 43-year-old shooter is dead
- At this point, more questions than answers are in play after Monday night's shooting spree on the campus of Michigan State University in East Lansing. Authorities are expected to clear things up at a Tuesday news conference. In the meantime:
Authorities say three people are dead and five
Suspect in Michigan State
Shooting That Killed 3 Is Dead
Feb 13, 2023 11:52 PM CST
Suspect in Michigan State Shooting That Killed 3 Is Dead
5 others wounded
- Police say a man suspected of killing three people and wounding five more at Michigan State University on Monday night has died, the AP reports. Police say the man apparently shot himself off campus. The announcement came early Tuesday, four hours after shootings were reported, first at Berkey Hall and...
University Urges Professors
to Volunteer in Dining Halls
Oct 20, 2021 5:50 PM CDT
University Urges Professors to Volunteer in Dining Halls
MSU is extremely short on staff
- Hey, professor, hold the mayo! Short of help, Michigan State University is making an urgent plea to staff to volunteer in campus dining halls, including faculty. MSU's residential services department has already asked 132 full-time employees to work eight hours a week, the
Lansing State Journal
reports, but it'...
Buried in 1879
Just Gave Us an
May 12, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Seeds Secretly Buried in 1879 Just Gave Us an 'Amazing Moment'
Seeds hidden in Michigan State experiment are still sprouting after 142 years
- The world's longest-running seed experiment is still giving up greenery. A group of seeds buried in a secret spot at Michigan State University in 1879 have begun sprouting after they were dug up and planted in mid-April. The first sprouted April 23—"an amazing moment," per botany...
Sep 13, 2020 5:44 AM CDT
'Exponential Growth:' Michigan State Students Quarantined
342 cases since Aug. 24 as students party down like it's 2019
- The kids at Michigan State University were apparently having a little too much socially undistanced fun after classes started back up, and Ingham County health officials are now asking them to self quarantine for the next two weeks after the "exponential growth" of COVID-19. The school saw at least...
NFL Receiver Dead at 38
Nov 11, 2019 5:00 PM CST
Former Spartan, NFL Receiver Dead at 38
Charles Rogers played for the Detroit Lions
- Former Michigan State star and Detroit Lions receiver Charles Rogers has died at the age of 38. A woman who identified herself as Cathy Rogers, his mother, confirmed the death Monday in a phone call from the AP . Other details were not immediately known. Marshall Thomas, Rogers' former basketball coach...
Interim MSU Prez
Jan 16, 2019 11:20 AM CST
Interim MSU Prez 'Makes Catholic Bishops Look Enlightened'
Backlash follows John Engler's comments on assault survivors
- The last thing Michigan State University needs is another controversy. Its interim president has created one anyway with comments suggesting some of Larry Nassar's sexual assault victims crave the spotlight. "In some ways [survivors who haven't been in the spotlight] have been able to deal with this...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.