Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Notice to Miami Beach Condo
Residents: Get Out Now
Oct 28, 2022 1:38 PM CDT
Notice to Miami Beach Condo Residents: Get Out Now
14-story complex deemed unsafe, evacuated is down the street from Surfside condo that collapsed
- Residents of a Miami Beach, Fla., building on the same street where a condominium collapse killed nearly 100 people last year were forced to evacuate on Thursday evening after officials determined the structure was unsafe and gave orders to leave. Miami Beach spokesperson Melissa Berthier said around 4pm Thursday that...
12 Climbers Went Up
the Volcano. Then 5 Fell
Sep 6, 2022 12:37 PM CDT
12 Climbers Went Up the Volcano. Then 5 Fell
Only a few survivors were evacuated from Russia's Klyuchevskaya Sopka, Eurasia's tallest volcano
- A dozen climbers went up a Siberian volcano last week, but only a few have come back down. According to the Russian state agency Ria Novosti, the group of 12 began ascending Klyuchevskaya Sopka, Eurasia's tallest volcano, located on the Kamchatka Peninsula in Russia's far northeast, on Aug....
Beach House After
Small Plane's Flyover
Jun 4, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Bidens Evacuate Beach House After Small Plane's Flyover
Pilot made a mistake, Secret Service says
- A small private airplane mistakenly entered restricted airspace near President Biden's Delaware vacation home Saturday, prompting the brief evacuation of the president and first lady, the White House and the Secret Service said. The White House said that there was no threat to the Bidens and that precautionary measures...
As 'Heartbreaking' Blaze Burns,
Thousands Just Won't Leave
May 6, 2022 7:26 AM CDT
As 'Heartbreaking' Blaze Burns, Thousands Just Won't Leave
Residents in Mora County, NM, refuse to evacuate amid largest US wildfire
- In the mountains north of Santa Fe, NM, residents are known for being able to tough things out. Which helps explain why thousands are now refusing to flee in Mora and San Miguel counties, where the nation's largest current wildfire is still raging, reports Reuters . It has scorched more...
Porsches End Up
on Ocean Floor as
Cargo Ship Sinks
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 5, 2022 4:20 PM CST
Porsches End Up on Ocean Floor as Cargo Ship Sinks
Felicity Ace was being towed toward Portugal’s Azores Islands
Things have gone from bad to worse for the consumer who tweeted , "My car is now adrift, possibly on fire, in the middle of the ocean." That car isn't adrift anymore. The AP reports the large cargo vessel that ran into trouble in February while transporting...
Ukraine Officials Say
It's Breached That
Mar 5, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Russia Agreed to Ceasefire. Ukraine Officials Say It's Breached That
Zelensky's office says evacuations halted after Mariupol continues to remain under fire
- The Ukrainian president's office says civilian evacuations have halted in an area of the country where Russian defense officials had announced a ceasefire. Kyrylo Tymoshenko, the deputy head of President Volodymyr Zelensky's office, said the evacuation effort was stopped because the city of Mariupol remained under fire on...
to Leave for Russia
Feb 18, 2022 2:42 PM CST
Separatists Order Civilians to Leave for Russia
Putin offers payments to evacuees
- Women, children, and elderly people were ordered to evacuate to Russia on Friday by pro-Russian leaders in eastern Ukraine. The separatist leaders charged that Ukraine is preparing a military offensive, which the country denied, per Axios , saying it's the separatists who are increasing tensions with artillery shelling. "We...
As Kabul Fell, a Last-Minute
Scramble to Evacuate: Report
Feb 2, 2022 8:50 AM CST
As Kabul Fell, a Last-Minute Scramble to Evacuate: Report
Critics question whether better planning from the Biden administration could have saved lives
- The Biden administration was working out crucial details of the civilian evacuation from Kabul even as the Taliban descended on the Afghan city, according to a document obtained by Axios . The National Security Council's summary notes from the Aug. 14 meeting of the Deputies Small Group—chaired by Homeland...
It's Tough to Get Out of Kabul,
but These Americans Just Did
Jan 27, 2022 6:29 AM CST
It's Tough to Get Out of Kabul, but These Americans Just Did
Charter flight thought to have dozens of US citizens heads to Qatar amid flight groundings by Taliban
- Since November, Americans have had a tough time getting out of Kabul after the Taliban grounded most flights. This week, a chartered flight paid for by the US State Department and run by Qatar's Ministry of Foreign Affairs was finally able to depart the Afghan capital for Qatar with...
Assess Fire Loss
Dec 31, 2021 4:40 PM CST
Coloradoans Assess Fire Loss
One woman finds just the mailbox still standing
- Forrest Smith fled his home in Louisville, Colorado, with only a coffee cup, a water cup, and his cellphone. In the rush, as hot ashes burned him while he started his car, he'd even left behind his wallet,
reports. "For some reason, I'm thinking in...
He Made a Plea to Biden. Now,
an Interpreter Finds Safety
Oct 11, 2021 11:43 AM CDT
He Made a Plea to Biden. Now, an Interpreter Finds Safety
Aman Khalili, who helped rescue Biden after chopper's 2008 emergency landing, flees Afghanistan
- It took a 600-mile trek and weeks of hard work by US, Afghan, and Pakistani allies, but Aman Khalili and his family are finally safely out of Afghanistan. While the name of the ex-Afghan translator may not ring a bell for most, one person in particular knows it well: President...
Woman Walks Out of Brush
Near Fire Line, Is Arrested
Sep 24, 2021 4:04 PM CDT
Woman Walks Out of Brush Near Fire Line, Is Arrested
Alexandra Souverneva accused of arson in Fawn Fire, which has forced evacuations of 4K
- A fire that erupted Wednesday in California's Shasta County has quickly spread to cover 5,500 acres , forcing thousands of people out of their homes. It's also prompted an arrest. Cal Fire and Shasta County Fire said employees spotted a white woman trespassing on property accessed through two...
As Fire Bears Down, Residents
of Lake Tahoe Told to Get Out
Aug 30, 2021 7:59 AM CDT
As Fire Bears Down, Residents of Lake Tahoe Told to Get Out
Evacuations ordered as 'Today, it let loose'
- Fire officials ordered more evacuations around the Tahoe Basin as a two-week-old blaze encroached on the mountain towns surrounding glimmering Lake Tahoe. By nightfall, the AP reports that all residents on the California side of the Lake Tahoe Basin were warned to evacuate, after fire officials had stressed for days...
2 Evacuees Reach
Tokyo to Compete
Aug 28, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
2 Evacuees Reach Tokyo to Compete in Paralympics
International effort gets athletes safely out of Kabul, to Paris, then to the Paralympic Village
- An international, multi-organization effort has delivered two Kabul evacuees to Tokyo, by way of Paris, in time to compete in the 2020 Paralympics. Zakia Khudadadi and Hossain Rasouli have safely arrived in Paralympic Village, CNN reports. The Afghanistan Paralympic Committee had said they wouldn't be able to go to...
Baby Born on
Gets Fitting Name
Aug 27, 2021 7:47 AM CDT
Baby Born on Evacuation Plane Gets Fitting Name
Meet Reach, named for the C-17 aircraft with 'Reach 828' call sign
- The name of a baby girl born last weekend aboard a military aircraft evacuating her mother out of Afghanistan has been revealed—and it's in honor of the plane that carried her family away from the Taliban-seized country. Gen. Tod Wolters, the head of the US European Command, told...
In Just 90 Minutes, Hope for
Journos in Afghanistan
Aug 25, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
In Just 90 Minutes, Hope for
Journos in Afghanistan
The paper details the rapid help it got from Mexico
New York Times
on Wednesday reported that it managed to safely get a group of Afghans who worked for the paper and their relatives—24 families in all—out of Afghanistan in a "harrowing escape" that wasn't aided by the US government. Rather, the credit goes to...
Facing Death, Evacuation Race
on for Afghan Women Judges
Aug 25, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Facing Death, Evacuation Race on for Afghan Women Judges
Tens of thousands could be left behind in Kabul as Taliban says no more Afghans can evacuate
- A retired US judge working 20 hours a day to evacuate some 250 female judges and their families from Afghanistan says her network is quickly running out of time. President Biden said Tuesday that he would stick to the Aug. 31 deadline for removing Americans and endangered Afghans from the...
Taliban: We Won't Allow
Afghans to Leave
Aug 24, 2021 12:50 PM CDT
Taliban: We Won't Allow Afghans to Leave
Biden is expected to stick with the deadline of Aug. 31 rather than extend it
- The deadline for the US to be out of Afghanistan is a week away, and President Biden is unlikely to extend it. The president spoke to G7 leaders Tuesday and will make public remarks later in the day, but the Pentagon has recommended sticking to the Aug. 31 withdrawal date...
A Flight Landed Safely in
Seattle. Then, an Evacuation
Aug 24, 2021 8:19 AM CDT
A Flight Landed Safely in Seattle. Then, an Evacuation
Passenger's cellphone caught on fire on tarmac at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
- Passengers usually breathe a sigh of relief once their plane touches down on the runway. For an Alaska Airlines flight arriving in Seattle this week, however, an incident
the aircraft had landed triggered an evacuation: a fire in the cargo hold that officials say was caused by a passenger'...
Help With Fires
Aug 23, 2021 7:35 PM CDT
California Seeks Major Federal Help With Fires
13K firefighters are battling the blazes that have thousands of people under evacuation orders
- More than 13,500 firefighters were working Monday to contain a dozen large California wildfires that have destroyed hundreds of homes and forced thousands of people to flee to safety. After a review of the damage, Gov. Gavin Newsom requested a presidential major disaster declaration for eight counties, Mark Ghilarducci,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Trump Aides Struggle on White Supremacist Dinner
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
DEA's Most Corrupt Agent: I Didn't Act Alone
Riots Follow World Cup Upset
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.