Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
4 ISS Astronauts
Splash Down in
Gulf of Mexico
May 6, 2022 4:19 AM CDT
4 ISS Astronauts Splash Down in Gulf of Mexico
It's been a busy month for SpaceX service
- SpaceX brought four astronauts home with a midnight splashdown in the Gulf of Mexico on Friday, capping the busiest month yet for Elon Musk’s taxi service. The three US astronauts and one German in the capsule were bobbing off the Florida coast, near Tampa, less than 24 hours after...
3 Blast Off for Space Station
Visit, Paying $55M Each
Apr 8, 2022 12:27 PM CDT
3 Blast Off for Space Station Visit, Paying $55M Each
SpaceX provides the ride for tourists shelling out big bucks to NASA
- SpaceX launched three rich businessmen and their astronaut escort to the International Space Station on Friday for more than a week’s stay, as NASA joins Russia in hosting guests at the world’s most expensive tourist destination. It’s SpaceX’s first private charter flight to the orbiting lab...
Mar 17, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
Musk Revises Prediction for Mars Landing
2029, SpaceX CEO estimates this time
- Elon Musk has been saying all along that he considers a trip to Mars possible relatively soon. In 2016, he told 100,000 people at the International Astronautical Congress in Guadalajara, Mexico, that he wanted to build a rocket that could take people there and help maintain a city on...
Rocket Due to
Crash Into the Moon
Isn't From SpaceX
Feb 15, 2022 2:07 PM CST
Rocket Due to Crash Into the Moon Isn't From SpaceX
Expert says WE0913A is likely a Chinese rocket, launched in 2014
The space expert shouting about a rocket smashing into the moon says he made a big mistake. The item dubbed WE0913A is still projected to hit the dark side of the moon at 7:26am EST on March 4, but it's not the upper stage of a SpaceX...
40 of 49 New SpaceX
Satellites May Have
Feb 9, 2022 12:30 PM CST
40 of 49 New SpaceX Satellites May Have Already Burned
Company says geomagnetic storm on Friday is cause
- SpaceX launched 49 of its Starlink satellites on Thursday, only to report days later that up to 40 are doomed to fall from orbit and burn up in Earth's atmosphere. The company attributed the loss to a geomagnetic storm on Friday. That storm increased atmospheric density some 130 miles...
Real Winner of
Jan 27, 2022 4:26 AM CST
Real Winner of SpaceX Flight Comes Forward
Kyle Hippchen gave flight to friend because he exceeded weight limit
- He told his family and a few friends. He dropped hints to a couple of colleagues. So hardly anyone knew that the airline pilot could have—should have—been on board when SpaceX launched its first tourists into orbit last year. Meet Kyle Hippchen, the real winner of a first-of-its-kind...
With Elon Musk
Dec 28, 2021 6:48 AM CST
China Angry With Elon Musk Over Space Near-Misses
Says its space station twice had to avert collisions with Starlink satellites
- Twice over the past year, China says, its space station has almost been hit by satellites launched by Elon Musk's SpaceX. The country is now calling on the United Nations to get the US to abide by the treaty that regulates outer space, the
reports. In both July...
Falcon 9 Launch
Dec 18, 2021 4:05 PM CST
Falcon 9 Launch Sets SpaceX Records
Company has 2 more missions planned before year ends
- SpaceX put another 52 Starlink internet satellites in orbit Saturday, after the successful launch of a Falcon 9 rocket from California. It was the 11th flight for the Falcon 9 booster, a SpaceX record, Space.com reports. Its first stage touched down safely on the company's drone ship about...
We're in Trouble
Nov 30, 2021 3:22 PM CST
Elon Musk to SpaceX Workers: We're in Trouble
He tells employees that problems with engine put company at risk of bankruptcy
- Elon Musk's Tesla is going gangbusters . His other company, SpaceX? Not so much, apparently. CNBC has obtained a memo written by Musk himself in which the CEO warns of potential bankruptcy if problems with a key engine aren't resolved in a hurry. "The Raptor production crisis is...
'A Pretty Glorious Sight':
SpaceX Delivers Crew to ISS
Nov 12, 2021 12:33 AM CST
'A Pretty Glorious Sight': SpaceX Delivers Crew to ISS
4 astronauts will remain there until spring
- A SpaceX capsule carrying four astronauts pulled up Thursday at the International Space Station, their new home until spring, the AP reports. It took 21 hours for the flight from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center to the glittering outpost. The one German and three US astronauts said it was an...
Nov 9, 2021 12:01 AM CST
SpaceX Crew Splashes Down
Toilet-less astronauts experienced a minor delay getting back to Earth
Following a brief delay, a SpaceX crew of four astronauts returned to Earth Monday, the AP reports. Their capsule streaked through the late night sky like a dazzling meteor before parachuting into the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Pensacola, Florida. Recovery boats quickly moved in with spotlights,...
Musk Pokes at Bezos After
Blue Origin Loses Lawsuit
Nov 5, 2021 5:11 AM CDT
Musk Pokes at Bezos After Blue Origin Loses Lawsuit
'You have been judged,' Musk quips
: Jeff Bezos' space company has lost a federal lawsuit against NASA over the decision earlier this year to award a lunar lander contract to SpaceX. The US Court of Federal Claims ruled against Blue Origin, which argued in the August lawsuit that NASA disregarded "key flight safety requirements"...
Crew Returning in
Nov 3, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Crew Returning in SpaceX Capsule Must Wear Pee Pads
Toilet issue can't be fixed in Crew Dragon Endeavour capsule docked at the ISS
When four astronauts head home from the International Space Station this month, they'll have to relieve themselves on their person. CNN reports the crew reached the ISS in April, and the SpaceX Crew Dragon Endeavour capsule that has since been waiting to take them home is experiencing the...
Shatner: Prince William
Is 'Lovely' but Wrong
Oct 15, 2021 6:55 AM CDT
Shatner: Prince William Is 'Lovely' but Wrong
He says Blue Origin voyages are 'baby steps' toward greater things after prince's criticism
: William Shatner says Prince William is a "lovely, gentle, educated man"—but he's got the "wrong idea" about space tourism. After the prince said the world's greatest minds should focus on fixing problems on Earth, Shatner told
that trips like his Wednesday...
Oct 12, 2021 9:09 AM CDT
Musk Widens Richie-Rich Gap, Trolls Bezos
SpaceX CEO tweets a silver medal at space race rival
- Elon Musk is pulling further ahead of Jeff Bezos as the world's richest man, and trolling all the way. Privately-held SpaceX saw its valuation rise to $100.3 billion this week as insiders agreed to sell up to $755 million in stock to new and existing investors at $560...
Elon Musk Takes a Dig at Biden
Sep 20, 2021 2:13 AM CDT
Elon Musk Takes a Dig at Biden
Says president must be 'sleeping' since he hasn't congratulated Inspiration4
- Following SpaceX's successful all-amateur Inspiration4 spaceflight , quite a few big names offered public congratulations. One notable exception: President Biden. And on Sunday, after someone on Twitter wondered why that was, SpaceX founder Elon Musk weighed in with a reply : "He's still sleeping." As CNBC points out,...
Another Billionaire Has Safely
Sent Tourists Into Space
Sep 19, 2021 5:45 AM CDT
Another Billionaire Has Safely Sent Tourists Into Space
SpaceX crew first all-amateur group to circle Earth
- Four space tourists safely ended their trailblazing trip to orbit Saturday with a splashdown in the Atlantic off the Florida coast, per the AP . Their SpaceX capsule parachuted into the ocean just before sunset, not far from where their chartered flight began three days earlier. The all-amateur crew was the...
And They're Off:
Sep 16, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
And They're Off: SpaceX Launch Makes History
Inspiration4 mission sends 4 space tourists into orbit
- SpaceX’s first private flight blasted off Wednesday night with two contest winners, a health care worker, and their rich sponsor, the most ambitious leap yet in space tourism. It was the first time a rocket streaked toward orbit with an all-amateur crew—no professional astronauts. The Dragon capsule’s...
It's a 'Major Milestone
in Human Spaceflight'
Sep 15, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
It's a 'Major Milestone in Human Spaceflight'
4 tourists, expected to launch Wednesday, will orbit Earth for 3 days
- Another billionaire is headed to space, this time with an all-civilian crew, in what CNN reports is the "first orbital mission in the history of spaceflight to be staffed entirely by tourists or otherwise non-astronauts." A retrofitted SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule dubbed Resilience will spend three days orbiting...
a $2B Offer
Jul 27, 2021 7:57 AM CDT
Jeff Bezos Makes NASA a $2B Offer
Ex-Amazon CEO wants to again compete in moon race against SpaceX
- If Elon Musk thought he had the sole lock on building NASA's next lunar landing vehicle, there may be a new wrench in the works. In April, the space agency announced it was offering Musk's SpaceX a $2.9 billion contract to build the spacecraft that will take...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
Dubya Makes 'Freudian Slip of the Century'
Terrified Buffalo Store Worker Called 911. She Says Dispatcher Hung Up
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
Man Marks 50 Years of Eating Big Macs Daily
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.