Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Epstein's Islands Are for Sale
Mar 23, 2022 6:29 PM CDT
Epstein's Islands Are for Sale
Retreats where prosecutors say financier abused girls and women are listed at $125M
- Two islands where Jeffrey Epstein was accused of sexually assaulting women and girls are for sale. Known as Great St James and Little St. James, the Caribbean islands are listed at $125 million, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. An attorney for the estate of Epstein, a financier whose 2019 death...
Melinda French Gates:
Epstein Gave Me 'Nightmares'
Mar 3, 2022 10:20 AM CST
Melinda French Gates: Epstein Gave Me 'Nightmares'
Bill's ex says she hated that her husband met with the man
- Melinda French Gates' full interview with Gayle King of
aired Thursday, and it reveals more details about her divorce and her future:
French Gates said she and Bill have a "working relationship" now, but that's about it. While they are "friendly," they'
Barclays Holds Back
$29M Bonus From
Ex-CEO Tied to Epstein
Feb 23, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Barclays Holds Back $29M Bonus From Ex-CEO Tied to Epstein
Jes Staley resigned late last year amid an investigation by UK banking regulators
More bad news this week for Jes Staley, as UK banking regulators continue to investigate exactly what his relationship was with the late Jeffrey Epstein. The
reports that Barclays will be holding back up to $29 million in bonus and share payouts to its former CEO, who resigned...
Agent Accused of Aiding
Epstein Found Dead in Cell
Feb 19, 2022 4:00 PM CST
Agent Accused of Aiding Epstein Found Dead in Cell
Jean-Luc Brunel was under investigation in France for rape, human trafficking
- A modeling agent accused of being an accomplice of Jeffrey Epstein was found hanged in his Paris jail cell Saturday. French prosecutors said that an investigation into the death of Jean-Luc Brunel, 75, had begun, but that early signs suggested it was suicide, the
reports. He had been hanged...
Andrew Settles With Accuser,
Slams Epstein in Court Filing
Feb 15, 2022 1:20 PM CST
Andrew Settles With Accuser, Slams Epstein in Court Filing
But the prince admits no wrongdoing in case involving Virginia Giuffre
(This file has been updated throughout with new details.)
It looks like Prince Andrew won't be going to trial . The prince's lawyer said Tuesday that a settlement has been reached with Virginia Giuffre, the woman who accused Andrew of sexually assaulting her decades ago when she was...
Jan 3, 2022 4:34 PM CST
Epstein Paid $500K to Giuffre in Lawsuit
Prince Andrew's accusers say the terms shield him from legal action
- The terms of a 2009 settlement between Jeffrey Epstein and an accuser, Virginia Giuffre, have been unsealed by a federal court considering her current sexual abuse lawsuit against Britain's Prince Andrew. The documents show Epstein paid Giuffre $500,000 to drop her suit, the
reports. Under the agreement,...
Judge Says Case Against
Prince Andrew Can Continue
Jan 2, 2022 6:30 AM CST
Judge Says Case Against Prince Andrew Can Continue
Rejects argument regarding Virginia Giuffre's residency
- Prince Andrew’s effort to immediately block the progression of a lawsuit by a woman who says he sexually assaulted her when she was 17—on the grounds that she no longer lives in the US— was rejected by a federal judge as oral arguments were set to proceed Monday...
Maxwell Verdict Called
a 'Towering Victory'
Dec 30, 2021 6:49 AM CST
Maxwell Verdict Called a 'Towering Victory'
Family says they have launched appeal
- Ghislaine Maxwell was found guilty on five out of six charges Wednesday, including the most serious, sex trafficking of a minor—and Sigrid McCawley, a lawyer for one of the four accusers who testified, called it a "towering victory" not just for the four, but "for the women...
Maxwell Verdict Is a Chance to
End Enabling of Rich Predators
Dec 29, 2021 7:00 PM CST
Maxwell Verdict Is a Chance to End Enabling of Rich Predators
The next move is up to the rest of us, Deborah Tuerkheimer writes
- Ghislaine Maxwell's conviction Wednesday was a milestone, Deborah Tuerkheimer writes in an opinion piece in the
New York Times
, a first during the #MeToo era. And while it demonstrates that those who enable criminals are subject to criminal prosecution themselves, it's only a step, she says. The nation'...
Ghislaine Maxwell Guilty
of Sex Trafficking
Dec 29, 2021 4:37 PM CST
Ghislaine Maxwell Guilty of Sex Trafficking
Jury found her guilty on 5 out of 6 charges
- A day after Judge Alison Nathan warned the jury in Ghislaine Maxwell's trial that there was a high risk they would end up in quarantine, they returned with a verdict: Guilty on all but one charge. Maxwell, who turned 60 on Christmas Day, was found guilty of sex trafficking...
As Jury Deliberates,
Ghislaine Maxwell Turns 60
Dec 26, 2021 6:30 AM CST
As Jury Deliberates, Ghislaine Maxwell Turns 60
British socialite is back in court Monday
- Ghislaine Maxwell reached her 60th birthday behind bars Saturday as she awaited the outcome of her sex trafficking trial. The British socialite is scheduled to return to a Manhattan courthouse Monday to await word from a jury entering its third full day of talks after hearing over two dozen witnesses...
Dec 17, 2021 5:36 PM CST
Defense Rests Without Testimony From Maxwell
Defendant tells judge prosecution hasn't proven its case
This file has been updated with the defense resting its case.
Ghislaine Maxwell's lawyers wrapped up their case Friday in her New York trial on charges that she helped Jeffrey Epstein recruit and sexually abuse underage girls. The jury did not hear from the defendant, the AP reports....
Final Witness Recounts Nude
Massage From Maxwell
Dec 11, 2021 7:31 AM CST
Final Witness Recounts Nude Massage From Maxwell
Prosecution rests, and defense begins next week
- Prosecutors rested their case against Ghislaine Maxwell on Friday much earlier than expected—it took 10 days instead of the expected four weeks, notes the BBC . Her defense team is expected to take no more than a few days after they begin their presentation next week. The big question is...
Epstein Accuser Says
Fondled Her at 14
Dec 8, 2021 2:13 AM CST
Epstein Accuser Says Ghislaine Maxwell Fondled Her at 14
Latest accuser to testify offers some of the most explicit descriptions yet
- One of Ghislaine Maxwell’s accusers testified Tuesday that she was just 14 years old when the British socialite had her undress, fondled her and told her she had a “great body” that financier Jeffrey Epstein would enjoy, the AP reports. The woman, who was identified only by her...
Said Epstein Needed
Sex 3 Times a Day: Accuser
Dec 7, 2021 12:28 AM CST
Ghislaine Maxwell Said Epstein Needed Sex 3 Times a Day: Accuser
Woman testifies about sex acts she says she was coerced into
- Another woman who accuses Jeffrey Epstein of sexual abuse testified in Ghislaine Maxwell's trial Monday, and recounted something Maxwell allegedly told her about the billionaire financier: "She said that he needed to have sex about three times a day," said the British woman, testifying under the pseudonym...
Testifies About What He Saw
Dec 3, 2021 9:46 AM CST
Epstein Employee Testifies About What He Saw
Juan Alessi recalls Ghislaine Maxwell's meeting with Victoria Giuffre
- The house manager of Jeffery Epstein's Palm Beach estate testified Thursday that he saw "many, many, many females" pass through during his tenure from 1991 to 2002, including at least two who looked to be 14 or 15: the accuser known as Jane and Virginia Giuffre, who claims...
1st of 4 Epstein
Against Ghislaine Maxwell
Dec 1, 2021 12:03 AM CST
1st of 4 Epstein Accusers Testifies Against Ghislaine Maxwell
Woman says Maxwell was often in the room when Epstein sexually abused her at 14
- The first of four women described as key accusers in the indictment against British socialite Ghislaine Maxwell testified Tuesday that Maxwell was often in the room when the witness, then just 14, had sexual interactions with the financier Jeffrey Epstein. Prosecutors went to the heart of their sex trafficking case...
How Ghislaine Maxwell
'Lured' Young Girls
Nov 30, 2021 2:45 AM CST
Prosecutors Describe How Ghislaine Maxwell 'Lured' Young Girls
And more from opening arguments
- Ghislaine Maxwell's trial on charges of child sex-trafficking began Monday in New York, and prosecutors did not mince words in their opening arguments. Describing how Maxwell allegedly massaged billionaire financier Jeffrey Epstein herself before encouraging the underage girls in the room to do so, they said sometimes Maxwell even...
Jury to Be Finalized in
Ghislaine Maxwell Trial
Nov 29, 2021 7:55 AM CST
Jury to Be Finalized in Ghislaine Maxwell Trial
Sex-trafficking trial for Jeffrey Epstein associate begins Monday
- Two years after Jeffrey Epstein's suicide behind bars, a jury is set to be picked Monday in New York City to determine a central question in the long-running sex-trafficking case: Was his longtime companion, Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein's puppet or accomplice? Maxwell—who once dated the financier—is accused...
A Big Trial
and It's Seen
as a 'Proxy'
Nov 16, 2021 8:36 AM CST
A Big Trial Begins, and It's Seen as a 'Proxy'
Ghislaine Maxwell's sex-trafficking trial viewed as a stand-in for Jeffrey Epstein's
- Ghislaine Maxwell's long-awaited trial is finally here. Jury selection begins Tuesday out of a pool of 231 potential jurors in a Manhattan courtroom, reports ABC News . And while the focus will be on Maxwell and her role in allegedly procuring underage girls for Jeffrey Epstein, the federal trial...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Verizon Just Got Pricier
Retired Colonel Says What Kremlin Doesn't Want to Hear
Friends Say He Was Exhausted, the Band Says Otherwise
Report: Plane Crashed Into the Earth Intentionally
Man Buys Old Virginia Home, Makes 'Heart-Wrenching' Find
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.