Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
He's the No. 1 Josh
in America. Again
May 23, 2022 9:19 AM CDT
He's the No. 1 Josh in America. Again
Jokey battle of the Joshes turns into charity event for 2nd straight year
- A couple of hundred people grabbed their pool noodles and headed to a Nebraska park again this weekend to battle over the right to the name Josh, per the AP . The event started as an online joke when Josh Swain from Tucson, Ariz., sent out a tweet challenging anyone who...
These Were 2021's
Top Baby Names
May 6, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
These Were 2021's Top Baby Names
Olivia, Liam take No. 1 spots, per Social Security Administration rankings
- Olivia and Liam have a stubborn streak. Not anyone in particular with those names, but the names themselves, which rose, once again, to the top of the Social Security Administration's annual list of top baby names. For the 2021 version of the rankings, Olivia sees the No. 1 spot...
Weird NFL Name
Coincidence Goes Viral
Mar 25, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
Weird NFL Name Coincidence Goes Viral
Tampa Bay teammates Shaq Mason and Shaq Barrett are named after the same 2 people
- Unless you're Joe or Bob, it's probably not every day you come across someone with the same name as you. It's even rarer to come across someone named after the same person as you. But two teammates on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have that in common—and...
Death-Metal Band's Name
Has Unfortunate Timing
in case you missed it
Dec 12, 2021 8:45 AM CST
Death-Metal Band's Name Has Unfortunate Timing
Belgian group Omicron says it's named after a constellation, not the latest coronavirus variant
- Even bad publicity is supposedly good publicity, but whoever coined that phrase likely wasn't part of a death-metal band that shared its name with a coronavirus variant. Such a band formed two years ago, before COVID had overtaken the globe, and now the little-known Belgian group Omicron (which has...
Most Common Mispronounced
Words, Names of 2021
Dec 7, 2021 9:35 AM CST
Most Common Mispronounced Words, Names of 2021
Yes, 'omicron' is on the list
- “Cheugy” is apparently a lot to chew on. Grammy-winning singer-songwriter Billie Eilish and Philadelphia Eagles center Jason Kelce have something in common—broadcasters butcher their names. And virtually everyone is iffy about "omicron." All four made it onto this year's list of most mispronounced words...
Dixie State University Gets
a Controversial Name Change
Nov 11, 2021 12:54 AM CST
Dixie State University Gets a Controversial Name Change
Utah Legislature votes for change to Utah Tech University
Dixie State University will likely soon be called Utah Tech University. The Republican-controlled state legislature in Utah voted to change the name Wednesday, despite local outcry from those who insisted the regional importance of the word "Dixie" is separate from the word's association with slavery, the AP...
Lose Request to
Name Their Son
Sep 13, 2021 1:11 AM CDT
Swedish Parents Lose Request to Name Their Son After Putin
Government agency doesn't say why it rejected the couple's choice
- Sweden's government has told new parents that they can't name their little bundle of joy after the president of Russia. A couple from the town of Laholm had submitted "Vladimir Putin" for approval as their son's name. The nation's tax agency has to approve the...
Of Course There's Drama Over
Meghan and Harry's Baby Name
Jun 9, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
Of Course There's Drama Over Meghan and Harry's Baby Name
Did they get the queen's OK to use Lilibet, and when?
- As one might expect, there's been plenty of hand-wringing about whether Harry and Meghan did or did not ask the queen for permission/her blessing in bestowing her nickname on their newly born baby girl, Lilibet Diana Mountbatten-Windsor . A palace source tells the BBC the queen wasn't consulted about...
Karen Is Going
to Want to Speak
to the Manager
Jun 2, 2021 6:19 AM CDT
Karen Is Going to Want to Speak to the Manager About This
Baby name Karen is reportedly at its least popular since 1932, with just 325 new Karens in 2020
- You may be hearing "Karen" thrown around a lot lately, but it's becoming less common as an actual name. Fewer newborn babies were named Karen in the US in 2020 than in any year since 1932, the Huffington Post reports based on Social Security Administration data. Karen, the...
People Wary of
a Girl's Name
May 7, 2021 1:45 PM CDT
COVID Has Apparently Made People Wary of a Girl's Name
Only 17 babies named Rona in 2020, compared to 30 in 2017; Olivia and Liam were most popular
- If you're longing for some consistency amid a year that's been nothing but chaos, this year's list of top baby names should offer some comforting familiarity, per the Hill . That's because Olivia and Liam are the top girl and boy names for 2020, for the second...
Hundreds Gather in Nebraska
to Battle Over the Name Josh
Apr 25, 2021 4:30 PM CDT
Hundreds Gather in Nebraska to Battle Over the Name Josh
#JoshFight happened Saturday in Lincoln
- A fight over the name of Josh drew a crowd from around the country to a Nebraska park Saturday for a heated pool-noodle brawl. It all started a year ago when pandemic boredom set in and Josh Swain, a 22-year-old college student from Tucson, Arizona, messaged others who shared his...
Lincoln, or Feinstein
on City's Schools
Jan 28, 2021 3:33 AM CST
No Washington, Lincoln, or Feinstein on City's Schools
Mayor would prefer the board work on a reopening plan
- Gone are a slew of historical figures, including Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln—as well as the much more recent Dianne Feinstein. The San Francisco Board of Education has voted to take those names and others off 44 of its schools. The board has for years debated whether to rename buildings...
Space Force Has
Dec 19, 2020 6:00 AM CST
Space Force Has Completed a 'Momentous Responsibility'
Troops have been officially named 'guardians,' Mike Pence announced Friday
- If "troops" seemed too boring of a way to refer to the members of Space Force, never fear—there's a new label for those in service to the latest US military branch. "It is my honor, on behalf of the president of the United States, to announce...
SF Supervisors Want to
Rename Zuckerberg Hospital
Dec 17, 2020 10:45 AM CST
SF Supervisors Want to Rename Zuckerberg Hospital
They accuse Facebook of 'endangering public health' with COVID misinformation
- A $75 million donation to a hospital wasn't enough to earn Mark Zuckerberg a like from the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. The board voted 10-1 this week to condemn the naming of Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital after the Facebook founder, Business Insider reports. The hospital's full...
Elected in Landslide
Dec 3, 2020 12:21 PM CST
'Adolf Hitler' Elected in Landslide
Namibian councilman has no plans for world domination
- The people of Oshana, Namibia, have spoken, electing a regional councilman by the name of Adolf Hitler. His full name is Adolf Hitler Uunona—he's named in election materials as Adolf H. Uunona—and like his namesake, he's no stranger to politics, having served as a councilman for...
One Baby Name Is Surging
in Different Countries
in case you missed it
Oct 25, 2020 6:53 AM CDT
One Baby Name Is Surging in Different Countries
'Liam' is quite the popular choice globally, though not so much in Ireland
- If you've been noticing a bunch of Liams running around, and you're not a current resident of Ireland, you're not the only one. Liam was the top name for baby boys in the US this year, and the
reports that more than 20,000 babies here...
Oct 14, 2020 6:20 PM CDT
People With These Names Should Watch Their Step
A California-based firm compiles a rather odd list
- What's in a name? Your odds of breaking a toe or looking silly in public, it seems. That's according to Uplift Legal Funding, a company that lists the top 10 names of the "most accident-prone" men and women, Today reports. Seems the firm made its list by...
Prof to Student: Your Name
'Sounds Like an Insult'
Jun 20, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Prof to Student: Your Name 'Sounds Like an Insult'
Matthew Hubbard is on administrative leave at Oakland's Laney College
- An Oakland professor is on administrative leave after urging a student to "anglicize" her name—which he said "sounds like an insult in English." Matthew Hubbard, who teaches math at Laney College, told the Vietnamese student by email to change her name, the
San Francisco Chronicle
After 150 Years,
Sep 6, 2019 10:39 AM CDT
After 150 Years, Japan Reverts to Old-School Tradition
Surnames will now come before first names, at least in government documents
- For about 150 years, the Japanese have been following the first name, then surname method of being referenced when using the Roman alphabet in written materials. On Friday, however, a big change was announced: The country's government is switching the order of the names and reverting to the former...
Airline Offers Free Flight
If You Have This Last Name
Aug 9, 2019 8:35 AM CDT
Airline Offers Free Flight If You Have This Last Name
Anyone with the last name Green, Greene can fly gratis on Frontier on Aug. 13
- Frontier Airlines is offering a free flight to everyone with two very specific last names as part of its environmentally conscious "Green Week."
notes the qualifying but not completely surprising surnames: Green and Greene. The airline's website explains the simple steps for getting a complimentary...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
Cruise Passenger Found in Gulf Was Seconds From Death
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.