Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Prosecutors Scored Some
Wins in Oath Keepers Trial
Oct 21, 2022 12:42 PM CDT
Prosecutors Scored Some Wins in Oath Keepers Trial
In media's view, witnesses gave them some compelling evidence
- Three weeks into an Oath Keepers trial , the prosecution has put forth "its strongest evidence to date" that founder Stewart Rhodes and other members committed seditious conspiracy on Jan. 6, in the
New York Times'
view. The story by Alan Feuer and Zach Montague says former Oath Keeper Jason...
DOJ: Married Doctors Tried
to Give Russia 'Helpful' Files
Sep 30, 2022 12:15 AM CDT
DOJ: Married Doctors Tried to Give Russia 'Helpful' Files
Anna Gabrielian, Jamie Lee Henry face charges of conspiracy, wrongful disclosure
- A Maryland anesthesiologist and her US Army doctor spouse have been charged with trying to help Russia in its war against Ukraine with medical records that they thought Moscow could exploit, the US Attorney’s Office in Maryland said Thursday. The records never made it to Moscow. But they were...
As Bannon Surrenders,
Sep 8, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
As Bannon Surrenders, Charges Revealed
Former White House strategist charged with money laundering, conspiracy in New York
- Steve Bannon has turned himself in to authorities in New York, who accuse him of stealing more than $1 million from donations meant to fund a border wall on the US-Mexico border. The allegations mirror federal charges Bannon faced before he was pardoned by President Trump. Two other men charged...
Cops: Banned Magician
Entering Casino Was
Just the Start
Mar 30, 2022 2:20 PM CDT
Cops: Banned Magician Entering Casino Was Just the Start
Shaun Benward accused of scamming Pennsylvania casino—and not for the first time
- A self-described "magician" and "illusionist" with a long history of scamming casinos has allegedly struck again. Shaun Joseph Benward, 35, of Ocean Springs, Miss., is accused of working with 42-year-old Denielle Yvonne Derohan of Gulfport, Miss., to steal more than $10,000 from Rivers Casino in Pittsburgh, Pa....
Whitmer Plot Suspect Wanted
to Kill Police, Doctors: Witness
Mar 20, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Whitmer Plot Suspect Wanted to Kill Police, Doctors: Witness
Defendant was angered by the possibility of vaccine mandates, informant testifies
- One of the men plotting to kidnap Michigan's governor also had ideas for heading off COVID-19 vaccine mandates, an informant has testified: Kill the police officers who would enforce the mandates, cut off the heads of lawyers who support the vaccines, and blow up the places where vaccines are...
Trump Said 'We,' Judge Notes
in Preserving Jan. 6 Lawsuits
Feb 18, 2022 3:36 PM CST
Trump Said 'We,' Judge Notes in Preserving Jan. 6 Lawsuits
Ruling in conspiracy case says former president's words could be taken as exhorting crowd to act
- Former President Trump's speech at a rally just before rioters attacked the US Capitol sounded like "a call for collective action," a federal judge said Friday in dealing the former president a significant loss in court. The comments were included in US District Judge Amit Mehta's...
2 Men Indicted
in Plot to Blow Up
Jul 16, 2021 3:45 PM CDT
2 Men Indicted in Plot to Blow Up Democrats' Office
California defendants hoped a movement would follow, officials say
- Two California men plotted to destroy the state Democratic headquarters in Sacramento, hoping the attack would inspire a political movement, the Justice Department says. Ian Benjamin Rogers, 45, of Napa, and Jarrod Copeland, 37, of Vallejo, have been indicted by a federal grand jury, NBC reports. The charges include conspiracy...
In Capitol Riot
Case, 2 Big Firsts
Jun 11, 2021 12:32 PM CDT
In Capitol Riot Case, 2 Big Firsts
Three Percenters members charged with conspiracy; also first charges for those who helped plan events
- Dozens of members of two prominent far-right organizations—the Proud Boys and the Oath Keepers—have already been slammed with conspiracy charges surrounding the Capitol riot on Jan. 6. Add a third group onto that pile. Prosecutors filed a federal indictment on Thursday accusing six California men—including four said...
2 Proud Boys Charged With
Conspiracy in Capitol Attack
Jan 30, 2021 4:30 PM CST
2 Proud Boys Charged With Conspiracy in Capitol Attack
Indictment says they removed barricade, stole from officers
- A federal indictment charges two members of the far-right Proud Boys with 11 new counts for their involvement in the attack on the Capitol, including conspiracy. Dominic Pezzola, 43, and William Pepe, 31, already faced lesser charges in the riot, and were arrested earlier this month, the
New York Times
Rare Sedition Charges
Are On the Table
Jan 15, 2021 11:35 AM CST
Rare Sedition Charges Are On the Table
Prosecutors say rioters planned to 'capture and assassinate elected officials'
- The acting US attorney for DC says Capitol rioters could face charges under a Civil War-era sedition law. The law was last used in 1995, when 10 Islamic militants were convicted of seditious conspiracy —a crime involving forceful opposition to government authority or seizure of government property—stemming from...
Still Another Governor
Could be a Target
Oct 25, 2020 9:31 AM CDT
Still Another Governor Could be a Target
Ohio man says he was called about arresting and trying Mike DeWine
- An Ohio man said he was asked to help arrest, try, and sentence Gov. Mike DeWine. Under the plan, DeWine's penalty could be exile from the state or execution for his supposed crimes, Cleveland.com reports. An activist opposed to DeWine's handling of the coronavirus pandemic confirmed that...
Ex-Blue Bell Chief
Indicted in Listeria Case
Oct 22, 2020 7:28 AM CDT
Ex-Blue Bell Chief Indicted in Listeria Case
Paul Kruse is accused of trying to cover up 2015 outbreak
- In 2015, three people died and seven others were infected in four states in a listeria outbreak tied to Blue Bell Creameries ice cream. Now, a Texas grand jury has charged the former CEO and president of the company, accusing him of leading attempts to conceal the contamination. CNN Business...
Oct 13, 2020 12:05 PM CDT
Another Governor Was Possible Kidnapping Target
FBI agent says Virginia's Ralph Northam was discussed by paramilitary groups
- Members of anti-government paramilitary groups discussed kidnapping Virginia’s governor during a June meeting in Ohio, an FBI agent testified Tuesday during a court hearing in Michigan. Special Agent Richard Trask was part of the investigation that led to six men being arrested and charged last week with plotting to...
Political Operatives Might
Have Gone Too Far This Time
Oct 3, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Political Operatives Might Have Gone Too Far This Time
Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman are accused of masterminding 'fake' robocalls
- A pair of right-wing operatives are facing serious charges in Michigan that could put them behind bars for years, the
reports. Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman—famed for their conspiracy theories and aggressive tactics—allegedly intimidated urban voters with robocalls designed to suppress mail-in voting. The calls targeted...
in Sex-Cult Case
Sep 30, 2020 5:05 PM CDT
Heiress Sentenced in Sex-Cult Case
Clare Bronfman gets 81 months for her involvement in Nxivm
- An heiress is heading to prison for her role in an abusive cult that turned women into sex slaves, the New York
reports. A judge sentenced Clare Bronfman, the daughter of late Seagram's billionaire Edgar Bronfman Sr., to 81 months in prison and fined her $500,000...
Aug 19, 2020 3:22 PM CDT
Tech Giant Cracks Down on QAnon
Groups and accounts are getting banned
- Facebook says it will restrict the right-wing conspiracy movement QAnon and will no longer recommend that users join groups supporting it, although the company isn't banning it outright, the AP reports. Facebook said Wednesday it is banning groups and accounts associated with QAnon and a variety of US-based militia...
Biggest Lottery Winner in US
Was Swindled: Prosecutors
Aug 19, 2020 1:13 PM CDT
Biggest Lottery Winner in US Was Swindled: Prosecutors
'Lottery Lawyer' Jason Kurland charged in $107M fraud
- The "Lottery Lawyer" advertised his services while noting that many lottery winners "are not sophisticated enough" to see potential scams. "You really have to rely on the professionals," Jason Kurland told
in 2016. Now three winners who relied on Kurland have lost more than $80...
at Trump Rally:
'Was That a Q?'
Feb 9, 2020 4:30 PM CST
Shocked Voice at Trump Rally: 'Was That a Q?'
How the bizarre QAnon conspiracy theory entered the political mainstream
- President Donald Trump was more than halfway through his speech at a rally in Milwaukee when one of his hand gestures caught the eye of a supporter standing in the packed arena. The 51-year-old woman believed the president had traced the shape of the letter "Q" with his fingers...
'Alive ... in
Nov 23, 2019 12:20 PM CST
Epstein Is 'Alive ... in the Middle East.' Oh, Really?
Conspiracy theories about the convicted sex offender refuse to die
- At another time in history, the indictment of two jail guards responsible for monitoring Jeffrey Epstein the night he killed himself might have served as an emphatic rebuttal to suspicions that the wealthy sex offender was actually murdered, the AP reports. Not in 2019. Conspiracy theories continued to flourish, even...
CEO, Wife Get Jail Time in
College Admissions Scandal
Oct 9, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
CEO, Wife Get Jail Time in College Admissions Scandal
Gregory and Marcia Abbott to each spend month in prison after paying $125K to fix daughter's tests
- As Felicity Huffman prepares for her 14-day stay behind bars at the end of the month, more sentences are rolling in for the college admissions bribery scandal—and this time, it's both members of a couple who will see jail time. Gregory Abbott, the CEO of International Dispensing Corp....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Trump Aides Struggle on White Supremacist Dinner
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
DEA's Most Corrupt Agent: I Didn't Act Alone
Riots Follow World Cup Upset
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.