Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sheriff: Dad of
Bought Gun on
Dec 1, 2021 10:29 AM CST
Sheriff: Dad of Oxford Suspect Bought Gun on Black Friday
Official says he wasn't aware of threats of violence before Tuesday's attack at school north of Detroit
- The 15-year-old suspect who fatally shot three students and injured seven others and a teacher at Oxford High School north of Detroit on Tuesday used a gun purchased by his father on Black Friday, according to the local sheriff. The sophomore was in possession of the 9mm Sig Sauer SP2022...
7 Hurt After Black Friday
Mall Shootings in NC, Tacoma
Nov 27, 2021 7:30 AM CST
7 Hurt After Black Friday Mall Shootings in NC, Tacoma
And in Tennessee, 3 are dead, 4 wounded after mass shooting in Nashville apartment
- A trio of shootings across the US left three dead and nearly a dozen injured on Black Friday. NBC News reports that the three fatalities happened at an apartment in Nashville, Tenn., in an incident that also left four injured. Per WKRN , police responded to the shooting that took place...
Woman Fatally Shot Unloading
Gifts From Her Baby Shower
Nov 22, 2021 9:55 AM CST
Woman Fatally Shot Unloading Gifts From Her Baby Shower
7-months-pregnant Jessica Covington ambushed during 'heinous crime' in Philly
- A mom-to-be's weekend celebration ended in tragedy after she was fatally gunned down in Philadelphia. According to the city's police department, the seven-months-pregnant woman—IDed by sources as Jessica Covington, 32, per CBS Philly —was outside her home around 8:30pm Saturday, unloading gifts out of her...
In Seattle, One of Its
Jul 26, 2021 8:27 AM CDT
In Seattle, One of Its 'Worst Mornings of Violence'
3 dead, 5 injured after series of unrelated shootings during 3-hour span on Sunday
- Multiple sites in Washington state's largest city were hit by gun violence early Sunday, leading to three deaths and five injuries in a series of shootings that cops say were unrelated. In a release cited by CNN , the Seattle Police Department lays out the timeline, starting at around 1:...
Holiday Weekend Results
in Nearly 200 Fatal Shootings
Jul 6, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
Holiday Weekend Results in Nearly 200 Fatal Shootings
Chicago had the worst numbers
- The easing of the pandemic has been accompanied by a general spike in gun violence, with some mayors worried about what the summer will bring, notes NPR . The long Fourth of July weekend may have just provided an unwanted taste. The Gun Violence Archive counts 540 shootings over a 72-hour...
He Crashed Into Home,
Started Shooting. Now,
a Hate Crime Probe
Jun 28, 2021 10:04 AM CDT
He Crashed Into Home, Started Shooting. Now, a Hate Crime Probe
Mass. authorities investigating incident that left 2 Black bystanders dead in Winthrop
- A shooting over the weekend near Boston that left a retired Massachusetts State Police officer and an Air Force veteran dead is now being investigated as a hate crime, as the two Black victims were gunned down while other bystanders escaped without being targeted. Authorities say 28-year-old Nathan Allen stole...
13 Hurt in Shooting in Busy
Austin Entertainment Hub
Jun 12, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
13 Hurt in Shooting in Busy Austin Entertainment Hub
Meanwhile, a shooting in Savannah, Ga., has left one dead, 8 injured
- A shooting in a busy entertainment district in downtown Austin, Texas, injured 13 people early Saturday, and police said the suspected shooter wasn't in custody. Two of the injured people were in critical condition, but as of a news conference at 4am local time, no one had died, interim...
'Year of Carnage'
12 Mass Shootings
May 24, 2021 2:57 PM CDT
'Year of Carnage' Continues With 12 Mass Shootings Over Weekend
At least 11 died, 69 wounded from Friday night through Sunday
- At least a dozen mass shootings took place over the weekend across the country, killing at least 11 people and injuring another 69. CNN combined its own stats with those from the Gun Violence Archive , as well as police and other media reports, and found the latest slew of mass...
Feud Erupts in
9 Under Age 18
Apr 19, 2021 6:48 PM CDT
Feud Erupts in Gunfire, Wounding 9 Under Age 18
Louisiana sheriff says witnesses aren't cooperating with investigation
- Nine people under 18 were injured, and two of them remained in the hospital Monday following a weekend shooting at a 12-year-old's birthday party in Louisiana that was rooted in an ongoing feud, authorities said. Eight of the victims of the Saturday night shooting were boys, and all were...
Sister of Accused Gunman:
'Something Was Off'
Apr 9, 2021 11:20 AM CDT
Sister of Accused Gunman: 'Something Was Off'
Phillip Adams' sister says there were 'extremely concerning' signs of mental distress
- A sister of Phillip Adams, the former NFL cornerback accused of fatally gunning down a prominent doctor and four others in South Carolina on Wednesday before taking his own life, is speaking out, and she says the past couple of years were ones in which Adams' mental health took a...
3 Dead in Latest State
to Suffer Mass Shooting
Apr 3, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
3 Dead in Latest State to Suffer Mass Shooting
Police say at least 7 were shot early Saturday at house party in Wilmington, NC,
- Following a gunman's rampage in Orange, Calif., on Wednesday that left four dead , CNN noted that mass shooting was one of 20 since the Atlanta spa shootings in mid-March. Now, yet another one to add to the list. Police say at least seven people were shot early Saturday at...
in Boulder Massacre
Mar 23, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
21-Year-Old Charged in Boulder Massacre
Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa charged with 10 counts of murder; victims ranged in age from 20 to 65
- Police in Boulder have identified the suspected gunman in Monday's mass shooting , though they're still not speculating about a motive. The alleged shooter at the King Soopers supermarket is 21-year-old Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa from nearby Arvada, Colo., report the
. Boulder County...
Son of Spa
Victim: 'I Have
No Time to
Mar 22, 2021 11:18 AM CDT
Son of Spa Victim: 'I Have No Time to Grieve'
GoFundMe for Hyun Jung Grant's kids raises $2.7M after older son writes of the issues they face
- Hyun Jung Grant, 51, was one of the eight victims in last Tuesday's spa shootings in the Atlanta area. She left behind two sons, 19-year-old Eric Park and 23-year-old Randy Park, and the latter spoke to NBC News last week about the tough life she led and how hard...
15 Shot at Chicago Party
Mar 14, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
15 Shot at Chicago Party
2 die, 7 are hospitalized as police look for a motive
- Gunfire erupted at a party on Chicago's South Side early Sunday, killing two people and wounding 13 others, authorities said. Officers responded around 4:40am, police spokesman Jose Jara said in a statement. Those shot were ages 20 to 44. Seven of the wounded were taken to hospitals in...
Cops in Greater Danger
as Public Anger Rises
Sep 27, 2020 2:25 PM CDT
Cops in Greater Danger as Public Anger Rises
'People are seeking to do harm to cops'
- A man walks up to a squad car and opens fire on two sheriff's deputies sitting inside. Two police officers are shot after responding to sounds of gunfire during a protest. The shootings—one in Los Angeles and the other 2000 miles away in Louisville, Kentucky, less than two...
Shootings Follow Fight
in Crowd, Leaving 13 Wounded
Jul 19, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Shootings Follow Fight in Crowd, Leaving 13 Wounded
No arrests are made in violence on Peoria Riverfront
- A shooting along the Peoria Riverfront left 13 people wounded early Sunday. Police arrived after 4:30am to find about 200 people gathered, the
Peoria Journal Star
reports, and reported that there had been a fight among the crowd. They found a man and woman who had been shot and...
Is a Deadly One
Jul 6, 2020 12:00 AM CDT
Holiday Weekend Is a Deadly One in Chicago
Girl, 7, and boy, 14, among the 16 killed in gun violence
- Sixteen people were shot dead in Chicago over the Fourth of July weekend, including two children. Holiday weekend shootings injured another 67, reports NBC Chicago , which has details on many of the shootings. Among the dead are a 7-year-old girl killed in a Saturday night incident that also left a...
102 People Were Shot
in Chicago Over the Weekend
Jun 22, 2020 9:55 AM CDT
102 People Were Shot in Chicago Over the Weekend
A 3-year-old boy is among the 14 fatalities
- Fourteen people, including five children, were killed as more than 100 people were shot in a wave of gunfire in Chicago over Father's Day weekend—the city's highest number of shooting victims in a single weekend this year, per the AP . Among the victims was a 3-year-old boy,...
7 People, One Dog
Dead in 'Horrific Scene'
Jun 5, 2020 11:06 AM CDT
7 People, One Dog Dead in 'Horrific Scene'
Authorities trying to piece together what happened in mass shooting in Morgan County, Alabama
- Deputies responding to a call about a shooting in Alabama early Friday found seven people dead inside a home that had been set afire, news outlets reported, per the AP . Morgan County deputies were able to put out the fire before firefighters got to the scene, and that’s when...
It Was Chicago's
Deadliest Memorial Day
Weekend in 5 Years
May 26, 2020 6:55 AM CDT
It Was Chicago's Deadliest Memorial Day Weekend in 5 Years
10 dead, 31 injured
- Ten people were killed over the holiday weekend in Chicago, making it the Windy City's deadliest Memorial Day weekend since 2015, ABC 7 reports. At least 31 others have been injured in shootings in the city since Friday night. Three of those shot were teenagers, one fatally. The
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Skier May Face Manslaughter Charges After Deadly Collision
Mass Killer Gives Nazi Salute at Parole Hearing
Airlines Have a Dire Warning on 5G Rollout
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Lara Logan's Talent Agency Drops Her
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.