Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cultured Meat Industry
Just Got a Boost
Jun 12, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Cultured Meat Industry Just Got a Boost
It's like other meat, only without the dead animal
- Marketing departments still haven’t decided what to call it yet, but there is increasing demand for cultivated (aka cultured, cell-grown, or no-kill) meat, at least in Singapore. That’s where US-based Good Meat has teamed up with food-processing behemoth ADM to build “the world’s largest bioreactors to...
'Zero to Singapore on This':
Disabled Man Is Hanged
Apr 27, 2022 3:30 AM CDT
'Zero to Singapore on This': Disabled Man Is Hanged
Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam, 34, had been on death row for over a decade
- Singapore on Wednesday executed a mentally disabled Malaysian man condemned for a drug offense after a court dismissed a last-minute challenge from his mother and international pleas to spare him. Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam, 34, had been on death row for over a decade after he was convicted of trafficking about...
Singapore Decides This
Disabled Man Must Hang
Mar 29, 2022 2:09 PM CDT
Singapore Decides This Disabled Man Must Hang
Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam, whose IQ is 69, loses final appeal over drug smuggling
- A Malaysian man with a mental disability lost a final legal appeal Tuesday against his death sentence in Singapore and faces execution soon, a lawyer and rights activists said. Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam has been on death row for more than a decade for trying to smuggle less than 1.5...
Parkgoer Says He Was
Nearly Killed in Otter Attack
Dec 10, 2021 7:29 AM CST
Parkgoer Says He Was Nearly Killed in Otter Attack
Graham George Spencer says he sustained 26 bites in just seconds
- A British man saw a pack of about 20 otters on a nearby path in the Singapore Botanic Gardens in late November. What happened next nearly killed him. Graham George Spencer says the group "went crazy" after a runner using the same path as the animals approached them. He...
This Is the World's
Most Expensive City
Dec 1, 2021 12:13 PM CST
This Is the World's Most Expensive City
Israel's Tel Aviv tops the Economist Intelligence Unit's list
- Looking to bust out of this joint and set down roots elsewhere in the world? If you're planning an expat move to one of the cities on the Economist Intelligence Unit's most recent list, you'd better bring some extra cash. Per the BBC , the Economist Group's...
Man to Be Hanged for Bringing
Bundles of Pot Into Singapore
Oct 12, 2021 5:23 PM CDT
Man to Be Hanged for Bringing Bundles of Pot Into Singapore
Appeal that centered on claiming confession was coerced was dismissed Tuesday
- A man in Singapore is going to be hanged for bringing three bundles of cannabis into the country. Omar Yacob Bamadhaj, 41, lost an appeal Tuesday of a sentence handed down in February. In July 2018, Bamadhaj had hopped across the border from the tiny city-state into Malaysia to run...
During Pandemic, This Nation's
Economy Takes Top Billing
Sep 30, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
During Pandemic, This Nation's Economy Takes Top Billing
Switzerland is No. 1 on WIPO's Global Innovation Index for 132 economies around the world
- To get through something like a pandemic, countries have had to innovate—especially when it comes to keeping their economies humming. And there are "reasons to be optimistic" on that front, according to one of the editors of the World Intellectual Property Organization's annual Global Innovation Index , which...
Kamala Harris Has a Warning
for China Over 'Intimidation'
Aug 24, 2021 7:28 AM CDT
Kamala Harris Has a Warning for China Over 'Intimidation'
Vice president delivered rebuke from Singapore on Tuesday on nation's actions in South China Sea
- Vice President Kamala Harris delivered a sharp rebuke to China for its incursions in the South China Sea, warning its actions there amount to "coercion" and "intimidation" and affirming that the US will support its allies in the region against Beijing's advances. "We know that Beijing...
'Ray of Hope': World's Smallest
Baby at Birth Goes Home
Aug 9, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
'Ray of Hope': World's Smallest Baby at Birth Goes Home
Kwek Yu Xuan was just 7.47 oz. when born. A year later, she's a healthy 14 pounds.
- When Kwek Yu Xuan was born in early June 2020, four months early, the tiny newborn was about 9.5 inches long and weighed just 7.47 ounces—about how much an apple weighs, making her the smallest baby ever born, per the BBC . Yu Xuan's mother, who had...
Woman Who Tortured,
Killed Maid Gets 30 Years
Jun 22, 2021 4:40 PM CDT
Woman Who Tortured, Killed Maid Gets 30 Years
Singaporean woman's employee weighed just 53 pounds when she died
- A Singapore woman has been sentenced to 30 years in prison in what authorities say was one of the worst cases of "maid abuse" imaginable. Gaiyathiri Murugayan, 40, pleaded guilty earlier this year to dozens of charges, including culpable homicide, in the 2016 death of live-in domestic worker Piang...
He Allegedly Lied About
COVID to an Expert on Lying
May 18, 2021 12:54 PM CDT
He Allegedly Lied About COVID to an Expert on Lying
In Singapore, that could result in jail time
- Never lie. But if it can't be avoided, never lie to a researcher who specializes in "the cognitive neuroscience of deception." A Singapore man learned this lesson the hard way and faces actual jail time over his alleged fib, reports Channel Asia News . Authorities say 40-year-old Paul...
This Is Not the 2am Wakeup
Call You Want on a Cruise Ship
Dec 9, 2020 7:00 AM CST
This Is Not the 2am Wakeup Call You Want on a Cruise Ship
Passengers on Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas are stuck in Singapore port after COVID case
- Passengers on a Royal Caribbean "cruise to nowhere" really can't go anywhere—they're not even allowed to leave their rooms after a fellow shipmate tested positive for COVID-19, the
reports. In a Wednesday statement, Singapore Tourism Board rep Annie Chang says the 83-year-old Singaporean man...
Gives Birth to
Nov 29, 2020 2:55 PM CST
Infected Mom Gives Birth to Baby With Antibodies
Celine Ng-Chan's child appears to have extra protection from COVID-19
- Welcome to the world, Aldrin: Looks like you came with extra protection. Born in Singapore from a mother who'd been infected with COVID-19, the baby has antibodies against the virus, Sky News reports. "It's very interesting," the mother, Celine Ng-Chan, told the
Here, You Can Get a
Pandemic Baby Bonus
Oct 9, 2020 1:41 PM CDT
Here, You Can Get a Pandemic Baby Bonus
Singapore offering couples more than $2K to procreate
- Singapore had one of the lowest birth rates in the world even before the coronavirus pandemic turned childbirth into (even more of) a nightmare . Now it's fighting back—with cash. The island state is offering a one-time baby bonus of $3,000 (about $2,200 in American dollars) to...
First Came Flights
to Nowhere. Now, This
Oct 8, 2020 2:40 PM CDT
First Came Flights to Nowhere. Now, This
Two cruise lines offering round trips out of Singapore starting next month
- The "flight to nowhere" being offered by Australia's Qantas airline amid the pandemic sold out in a flash . And the cruise industry has apparently taken notice. Singapore has given the OK for two cruise lines to depart from one of its ports and return to the same port...
Singapore Will Issue New
Arrivals With Electronic Tags
Aug 3, 2020 12:52 PM CDT
Singapore Will Issue New Arrivals With Electronic Tags
Penalty for removing monitoring devices will be up to 6 months in prison
- Singapore says some visitors and returning residents can now quarantine at their residence instead of in dedicated facilities—but they will be issued with electronic monitoring devices and face up to 6 months in prison if they remove them or tamper with them. Authorities say the devices, which use GPS...
Drug Dealer Hears Death
Sentence Over Zoom
May 20, 2020 8:45 AM CDT
Drug Dealer Hears Death Sentence Over Zoom
Malaysian man sentenced for drug trafficking in Singapore
- A man has been sentenced to death in Singapore over a Zoom call, which is probably not how Zoom CEO Eric Yuan envisioned his product being put to use. Reuters reports it's "one of just two known cases where a capital punishment verdict has been delivered remotely."...
He Left His Room for 3 Hours.
He Got 4 Weeks in Jail
May 15, 2020 7:44 AM CDT
He Left His Room for 3 Hours. He Got 4 Weeks in Jail
Singapore jails US pilot for breaching quarantine
- An American FedEx pilot has become the first foreigner jailed for breaching Singapore's strict quarantine regulations. Alaska resident Brian Yeargan, 44, and two co-pilots were told to spend 14 days isolated in an airport hotel before entering the city after arriving from Australia on April 3. They had planned...
Nailed It With
Apr 22, 2020 4:25 PM CDT
One Country Nailed It With the Virus— Until Now
Singapore's numbers were low until recently
- Singapore's much-lauded plan to beat the coronavirus has run into a hitch—and critics are pouncing, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. To be fair, the Asian city-state did lower infections with a mix of testing, quarantining, and impressive contact tracing. But its blind spot seems to be migrant workers....
Country Stops Using Zoom for
Classes After 'Serious Incident'
Apr 10, 2020 6:28 AM CDT
Country Stops Using Zoom for Classes After 'Serious Incident'
Hackers showed photos of genitalia to class of teen girls
- Singapore has suspended the use of Zoom for online education after hackers hijacked a lesson and showed obscene images to students. In what is known as "Zoombombing," two hackers interrupted a geography lesson a day after Singapore closed schools on Wednesday and moved lessons online as part of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Radio Station Abruptly Starts Playing Same Song on a Loop
Emmett Till's Family Finds 1955 Warrant, Calls for Arrest
Donald Trump No Longer in Contempt
Judge Declares Florida Abortion Law Unconstitutional
Suspect in Star Cyclist's Murder Is Caught
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.