Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In NYC, Carrie Bradshaw's
Apartment Awaits You
Nov 5, 2021 1:23 PM CDT
In NYC, Carrie Bradshaw's Apartment Awaits You
Airbnb is renting out replica of 'Sex and the City' brownstone ahead of HBO's reboot of show
- If you're already getting excited for HBO's
Sex and the City
reboot coming next month, think how excited you'll be for the chance to stay in Carrie Bradshaw's apartment, too. Well, a replica of it, at any rate. That's the offer now on the table...
One Landing Place for Afghan
Refugees: Airbnb Homes
Aug 24, 2021 1:34 PM CDT
One Landing Place for Afghan Refugees: Airbnb Homes
Hosts to lend a hand in 'one of the biggest humanitarian crises of our time'
- Airbnb opened the doors of its properties to 20,000 Afghan refugees globally Tuesday and sought assistance from hosts who rent property through the home-sharing company for more free housing for those fleeing the crisis, per the AP . "The displacement and resettlement of Afghan refugees in the US and...
at My House
Jul 15, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
Scottie Pippen: Come Watch the Olympics at My House
Retired basketball star offering stays at his Illinois vacation home on Airbnb
- You could watch the Tokyo Olympics from Scottie Pippen's home and, in his words, "sleep in my bed." The six-time NBA champion and two-time Olympic gold medalist has turned to Airbnb to offer three one-night stays at his vacation home in Illinois' Highland Park where fans can...
This Airbnb Team Steps In
When Horrible Things Happen
Jun 20, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
This Airbnb Team Steps In When Horrible Things Happen
It has a 100-person safety team that spends big money to make problems go away
- "Agents have had to hire body-fluid crews to clean blood off carpets, arrange for contractors to cover bullet holes in walls, and deal with hosts who discover dismembered human remains." That's a sentence in a lengthy
piece by Olivia Carville about agents who work for...
Airbnb Not Cool With
Cabin That Banned
May 25, 2021 4:21 AM CDT
Airbnb Not Cool With Cabin That Banned Vaccinated Guests
Montana cabin listing claimed vaccines 'shed'
- Airbnb has stepped in after an eyebrow-raising listing for a Montana cabin surfaced. As revealed by journalist Charlie Warzel on Twitter , the listing said no one who had been vaccinated for COVID-19 was allowed to stay there, because "it has now been scientifically proven and is clearly stated on...
All DC Reservations,
Will Pay Hosts Itself
Jan 13, 2021 11:00 AM CST
Airbnb Cancels All DC Reservations, Will Pay Hosts Itself
It will block ability to make new bookings for the week of the inauguration as well
- It's an Airbnb blackout: The company on Wednesday said it will cancel reservations in the Washington, DC, metro area for the week of Joe Biden's inauguration and prevent new ones from being made. The company on Monday said it was conducting a review of such reservations, reports the...
Ignoring IPO Email
Costs Airbnb Hosts
Dec 13, 2020 9:25 AM CST
Ignoring IPO Email Costs Airbnb Hosts
Some hosts cashed in, buying shares at the opening price, and some ignored the offer
- Even for hosts, it was easy to overlook an email last month with the subject line "Airbnb's Directed Share Program." That was costly, though. The email was an offer to get in on the company's initial public offering, NPR reports. Airbnb earmarked as many as 3....
Told of Opening
Price, Airbnb Boss
Dec 10, 2020 4:19 PM CST
Told of Opening Price, Airbnb Boss Is Stumped
Company's valuation more than doubles for IPO
- In preparing for its IPO, Airbnb priced its shares at $68. The stock price doubled in premarket trading to open Thursday on the Nasdaq at $146, a development that company co-founder and chief executive officer was not prepared for, Fast Company reports. That puts Airbnb at a market cap of...
As Trump Supporters Converge
on DC, Airbnb Takes a Stand
Nov 14, 2020 8:15 AM CST
As Trump Supporters Converge on DC, Airbnb Takes a Stand
Rental service pulls alleged Proud Boys member's reservation in advance of planned protests Saturday
- Last Saturday, the streets of DC filled with people celebrating that the presidential race had been called for Joe Biden. This Saturday, crowds will once more gather, but this time they'll be made up of supporters of President Trump, who still hasn't conceded to President-elect Biden. The
Airbnb Moves to Block
Oct 5, 2020 5:40 PM CDT
Airbnb Moves to Block Halloween Parties
Company has blocked one-night rentals over Halloween weekend
- This is the first time since 2001 that there has been a full moon on Halloween—and Airbnb is worried about people using its rentals for parties over the weekend. The company says it has canceled all one-night bookings for Friday, Oct. 30, and Saturday, Oct. 31, at "entire...
Organizers of 700-Person
Party Cited Amid Pandemic
Jul 28, 2020 1:35 AM CDT
Organizers of 700-Person Party Cited Amid Pandemic
New Jersey party definitely violated governor's orders
- Safe to say an Airbnb party broken up by New Jersey police Sunday night violated the state's executive order regarding gatherings amid the coronavirus pandemic. By the time police got there, more than 700 guests were in attendance, with more continuing to arrive, NJ.com reports. The home's...
25% of Airbnb Staff
to Lose Their Jobs
May 6, 2020 12:03 AM CDT
25% of Airbnb Staff to Lose Their Jobs
Pandemic has hit the home-sharing company hard
- Airbnb says it is laying off 25% of its workforce as it confronts a steep decline in global travel due to the new coronavirus pandemic, the AP reports. It's a serious setback for the 12-year-old home-sharing company, which just a few months ago was valued at $31 billion and...
Airbnb Boss Reacts
to Party That Left
5 People Dead
Nov 2, 2019 2:32 PM CDT
Airbnb Boss Reacts to Party That Left 5 People Dead
'We must do better, and we will,' tweets Brian Chesky
- Airbnb's CEO said the company was taking actions against unauthorized parties in the wake of a deadly shooting at a Halloween party held at an Airbnb rental home in California, the AP reports. In a series of tweets , Brian Chesky said Saturday the San Francisco-based company is expanding manual...
Rental Will Let
You 'Live Like a
Lord or Lady'
Sep 17, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
Airbnb's Newest Rental Will Let You 'Live Like a Lord or Lady'
For $150, 2 guests will get to stay at Highclere Castle, best known as the Downton Abbey estate
- The long-awaited
movie is about to hit theaters , and now there's more good news for fans—two of them, anyway. Highclere Castle, the site in Hampshire, England, where the hit show was filmed, is now available on Airbnb for a one-night stay this autumn, and it promises...
Big-Name CEOs to Congress:
You Need to Act Now
Sep 12, 2019 12:35 PM CDT
Big-Name CEOs to Congress: You Need to Act Now
Heads of Twitter, Uber, others write letter asking for tougher gun laws
- The CEOs of nearly 150 companies are stepping into the nation's gun debate, imploring Congress to expand background checks and enact a strong "red flag" law. In a letter sent to the Senate on Thursday, CEOs from businesses including Airbnb, Twitter, and Uber asked Congress to pass a...
Guy Lists Nasty
Pothole on Airbnb
Sep 2, 2019 11:10 AM CDT
Guy Lists Nasty Pothole on Airbnb
In New Orleans, it's a way to get the city's attention
- Notice Homer's Hideout on Airbnb? If it resembled a pothole dressed up to look like a
-style living room—replete with couch, sofa, and Homer Simpson doll—then that's the one, City Lab reports. New Orleans resident James Collier cooked up the listing to attract city officials who...
Report: Marriott Wants 'Piece
of the Pie' From Airbnb
Apr 29, 2019 8:33 AM CDT
Report: Marriott Wants 'Piece of the Pie' From Airbnb
Hotel giant reportedly getting into the home rental business in the US
- With about 5 million listings, Airbnb is the biggest platform for home rentals in the world. It may soon be getting some stiff competition with deep pockets, however: Sources tell the
Wall Street Journal
that Marriott will next month be launching the first phase of its own US home-sharing business,...
Family's Airbnb Stay Turns
Sour After Connecting to WiFi
in case you missed it
Apr 7, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
Family's Airbnb Stay Turns Sour After Connecting to WiFi
Nealie Barker and husband discover hidden camera livestreaming them, kids at Ireland property
- It was not an April Fools' joke Nealie Barker posted on Facebook April 1. "PLEASE SHARE WIDELY," the New Zealand mom wrote about a recent experience she and her family had while on vacation in Ireland. Sky News and the
New Zealand Herald
report that Barker and her...
Woman's Body Found
Near 'Sketchy' Airbnb
Dec 4, 2018 4:45 AM CST
Woman's Body Found Near 'Sketchy' Airbnb
Costa Rica officials aren't sure if it is that of missing US woman Carla Stefaniak
- A grim find has been made in the search for a Florida woman who was reported missing after she failed to return from a trip to Costa Rica. Officials with Costa Rica's Judicial Investigation Department say a woman's body was found at the back of the Airbnb property...
Black Airbnb Guests Detained
After Neighbor Calls 911
May 7, 2018 6:30 PM CDT
Black Airbnb Guests Detained After Neighbor Calls 911
Group plans to sue
- A lawsuit is planned by three black people briefly detained by police as they left a rental property in Southern California after a 911 caller wrongly reported they might be burglars, the AP reports. The Rialto Police Department said Monday that it has received notice of legal action by the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oprah on Beverly Hills Murder: 'World Is Upside Down'
Aariel Maynor Arrested in Jacqueline Avant Murder
Snowstorm Strands Dozens in IKEA Overnight
Chef Sentenced to 4 Months for 'Rushed' Shepherd's Pie
Plumber Finds Cash Stashed Behind Megachurch Wall
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.