Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
the Anatomy' of Elephants
Oct 22, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Humans Are 'Literally Changing the Anatomy' of Elephants
Genetic mutation passes from tuskless females ignored by poachers in Mozambique
- Human behavior is "literally changing the anatomy of animals," according to the author of a new study that finds decades of ivory poaching in Mozambique has encouraged the evolution of elephants without tusks . What was once a rare genetic mutation causing tusklessness in female elephants at Mozambique's...
Wandering Elephants Finally
Seem Headed Back Home
Aug 10, 2021 4:35 PM CDT
Wandering Elephants Finally Seem Headed Back Home
Herd fascinated the world with 300-mile trek north
- An elephant herd that fascinated locals and people around the world by making a yearlong journey into urbanized southwest China, raiding farms and even a retirement home for food, appears to be finally headed home. Local authorities have deployed trucks, workers, and drones to monitor the elephants, evacuated roads for...
On an Island, Elephants
Shrink Surprisingly Fast
Jul 2, 2021 1:04 PM CDT
On an Island, Elephants Shrink Surprisingly Fast
Study suggests it took only 40 generations for ancient beasts to lose 85% of their size
- Somewhere around 400,000 years ago, hulking elephants made their way to what we know now as the Italian island of Sicily. In a relative blink of the eye—roughly 40 generations—they shrank to miniature versions of their former selves, reports the
New York Times
. That's one estimate...
Officials Scramble as
City Is Warned: The
Elephants Are Coming
Jun 2, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Officials Scramble as City Is Warned: The Elephants Are Coming
Experts speculate inexperienced leader may have led herd 300 miles away from China nature reserve
- A herd of 15 wild elephants that walked 300 miles from a nature reserve in China's mountainous southwest were approaching the major city of Kunming on Wednesday as authorities rushed to try to keep them out of populated areas. The group was 16 animals, but the government says two...
by NRA's Chief
Apr 28, 2021 6:42 AM CDT
Video Emerges of 'Inept' Elephant Hunt by NRA's Chief
One critic calls shooting by Wayne LaPierre 'inept' and 'clumsy'
- A video shot for an NRA-sponsored TV series was hidden from the world for nearly eight years—until now. The footage, obtained by the
and the Trace , shows CEO Wayne LaPierre and his wife, Susan, shooting two savanna elephants in Botswana in September 2013. (The elephants have since...
Suspected Rhino Poacher
Meets His End—Via Elephants
Apr 19, 2021 8:17 AM CDT
Suspected Rhino Poacher Meets His End—Via Elephants
Man killed in South Africa's Kruger National Park over the weekend while running away from rangers
- Rangers busted a trio of suspected poachers in a South African game reserve over the weekend, with tragic consequences for one of them. ABC News reports that on Saturday, rangers spied the three men, who were believed to be trying to poach rhinos, in Kruger National Park, where a chase...
'World's Loneliest Elephant'
Arrives Safely at New Home
Nov 30, 2020 1:10 PM CST
'World's Loneliest Elephant' Arrives Safely at New Home
'The flight was uneventful, which is all you can ask for when you transfer an elephant'
- The pachyderm dubbed the "world’s loneliest elephant" after languishing alone for years in a Pakistani zoo was greeted on his arrival in Cambodia on Monday by chanting Buddhist monks and then sent on his way to a wildlife sanctuary. Like other travelers during these times, Kaavan needed to...
Nov 27, 2020 9:05 AM CST
Here's Why Cher Just Rushed to Pakistan
Singer is there to celebrate departure of 'world's loneliest elephant' from Islamabad zoo
- Iconic singer and actress Cher is in Pakistan to celebrate the departure of Kaavan, dubbed the "world's loneliest elephant," who will soon leave a Pakistani zoo for better conditions after years of lobbying by animal rights groups and activists. Because of security concerns, Cher's schedule was...
Rescuers Save Elephant
That Fell Into Well
Nov 23, 2020 11:05 AM CST
Rescuers Save Elephant That Fell Into Well
They needed a crane, though
- Rescuing someone who falls into a well is difficult enough. But rescuing an elephant? Authorities in southern India managed the feat when the animal fell into a well about 50 feet deep, reports NPR . It took 12 hours and three main steps: using pipes to pump out some of the...
Cause of Mass Elephant
Die-Off Is Revealed
in case you missed it
Sep 26, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Cause of Mass Elephant Die-Off Is Revealed
Botswana blames bacteria in water holes, not poaching
- Researchers were baffled when elephants began dropping like flies in the African nation of Botswana earlier this year. Now, government researchers say they've figured out what happened, and it doesn't involve poachers. Instead, they say a naturally occurring bacteria in watering holes is the culprit, reports the BBC...
Mystery Surrounds Sudden
Deaths of Elephants
Jul 3, 2020 9:33 AM CDT
Mystery Surrounds Sudden Deaths of Elephants
At least 356 carcasses found, many near watering holes in Botswana
- Hundreds of elephants have been found dead of unknown cause in Botswana in what's being called a "conservation disaster." Some 169 carcasses were spotted in the Okavango Delta—home to 15,000 of the country's 135,000 elephants—during a single three-hour flight in early May,...
Amid Pandemic, Thailand's
Elephants Face Starvation
Apr 1, 2020 1:55 AM CDT
Amid Pandemic, Thailand's Elephants Face Starvation
Owners say they can no longer afford to feed them
- In Thailand, elephants are at risk of becoming indirect victims of the coronavirus pandemic. With tourism at a standstill, the country's estimated 2,000 captive elephants are at risk of starvation, the AFP reports. Owners say they can't afford the hundreds of pounds of food an elephant needs...
6 Elephants Die in
Attempt to Save Calf
Oct 7, 2019 12:03 PM CDT
6 Elephants Die in Attempt to Save Calf
The baby elephant slipped over a waterfall, others followed
- A horrible story out of Thailand, where a baby elephant apparently slipped over a waterfall and six elephants ultimately died in the ensuing rescue attempt. Officials at the Khao Yai National Park say all the elephants that died Saturday fell from the "notorious" Haew Narok or "Hell's...
Nation's Last 4 Circus
Elephants Just Got Good News
Sep 10, 2019 1:15 PM CDT
Nation's Last 4 Circus Elephants Just Got Good News
Denmark will pay to send them into a comfy retirement
- Ramboline, Lara, Djunga, and Jenny should be jumping for joy with the news that Denmark's last four circus elephants are now government property. The country's Ministry of Environment and Food has paid two circuses the equivalent of $1.6 million to acquire the elephants, reports the BBC . Their...
135K Elephants Were
Protected. Not Anymore
May 23, 2019 9:40 AM CDT
135K Elephants Were Protected. Not Anymore
Hunting ban in place since 2014 is lifted in Botswana
- The nation that's home to roughly a third of Africa's 415,000 elephants has delivered a harsh but unsurprising blow to conservationists in lifting a five-year ban on hunting the animals. "The number and high levels of human-elephant conflict and the consequent impact on livelihoods was increasing,...
Nation Might Lift Ban
on Elephant Hunting
Feb 22, 2019 1:18 PM CST
Nation Might Lift Ban on Elephant Hunting
Review ordered by Botswana leader suggests using meat for pet food
- A third of Africa's elephants—an estimated 130,000—are found in Botswana. That's one reason animal activists are alarmed to learn the country is considering lifting its four-year ban on hunting the giant animal, 87 of which were found slaughtered and stripped of their tusks in a...
Elephants Join Search
for Missing 2-Year-Old
Dec 24, 2018 12:11 AM CST
Elephants Join Search for Missing 2-Year-Old
He vanished in Thailand a week ago
- Four elephants mounted by their mahouts have joined the search for a 2-year-old boy from Myanmar who has been missing in Thailand for a week, as hundreds of rescuers comb through a sugarcane field for traces of the missing child. Sului Piew, a son of migrant workers from Myanmar, went...
Bad News for
Nov 11, 2018 1:53 PM CST
Elephants Have Bad News for Poachers: We Evolved
More African elephants aren't growing tusks
- How can elephants fend off ivory poachers? By never growing tusks at all. Some 32% of female elephants in Mozambique's Gorongosa National Park are now born tuskless—a far cry from the 2% to 4% naturally occurring in Africa's wild, per research published in
. Thousands of...
Elephants Massacred After
Anti-Poaching Unit Disarmed
Sep 4, 2018 12:33 AM CDT
Elephants Massacred After Anti-Poaching Unit Disarmed
Evidence of 'poaching frenzy' uncovered
- A conservation group has made a horrifying find in Botswana, a country once thought to have been a bright spot amid the relentless slaughter of Africa's elephants. While conducting an aerial census of the country's elephants, they discovered the carcasses of 87 of the animals near a wildlife...
They Tracked 19 Elephants,
Found Something Macabre
Mar 21, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
They Tracked 19 Elephants, Found Something Macabre
Poaching for elephant skin raises fears populations could get decimated in Myanmar
- Poaching elephants for their ivory has already devastated populations, but poaching the animals for their skin could be disastrous, according to a new study detailing the "heartbreaking" practice in Myanmar. Poaching wasn't thought to be a major issue in the country at the outset of the three-year study...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Food Prices May Spike Again, Thanks to a New Shortage
Smash and Grab Turns Deadly for Former Officer
Stowaway Endures Over 2-Hour Flight Inside Plane Landing Gear
Crazy Homecoming Scandal May Result in Serious Jail Time
Fauci Says US Could Face 'Fifth Wave' as Omicron Spreads
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.