Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ground Crew Worker Fatally
Injured at Alabama Airport
Jan 2, 2023 2:30 AM CST
Ground Crew Worker Fatally Injured at Alabama Airport
American Airlines employees died Saturday afternoon at Montgomery Regional Airport
- It's a single grim sentence of clarification: The National Transportation Safety Board on Sunday explained the cause of death of an American Airlines ground crew worker at Montgomery Regional Airport in Alabama the day prior. Per the NTSB statement, "a ground support personnel was ingested into the engine"...
TSA Stops Record Number
of Guns at Airport Checkpoints
Dec 19, 2022 11:39 AM CST
TSA Stops Record Number of Guns at Airport Checkpoints
More than 6.3K firearms have been seized already, and the year's not even done
- Firearms aren't permitted in plane cabins during flights, even if passengers have a concealed-weapons permit. That didn't stop a whole lot of people from packing guns in their carry-ons this year—either forgetting they were there, not realizing they weren't allowed to pack them (or not realizing...
These Wasps Love Planes,
Could Bring Them Down
Dec 10, 2022 10:00 AM CST
These Wasps Love Planes, Could Bring Them Down
Airports employing insecticide, Pitot tube covers to deter keyhole wasp nests
- There are numerous examples of birds colliding with planes in incidents that prove deadly for human passengers, hence why airports use various methods to deter fowl. Now, several airports are working to deter a smaller, airborne pest that also proves a deadly threat: wasps. As the
Wall Street Journal
Hits US Airport Websites
Oct 10, 2022 2:42 PM CDT
Pro-Russian 'Killnet' Hits US Airport Websites
'Denial of service' attack did not affect air traffic or flight operations
- Officials at more than a dozen major US airports were greeted first thing Monday morning by cyberattacks against their public-facing websites. Air travel was not disrupted, per Axios, but the issue may have been an “inconvenience” for some travelers. The pro-Russian “hacktivist” group Killnet claimed responsibility. The group...
Baggage Handler Killed in
Freak Accident at NOLA Airport
Sep 1, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Baggage Handler Killed in Freak Accident at NOLA Airport
Jermani Thompson was unloading baggage from a flight that had landed
- A 26-year-old employee at the New Orleans airport was killed in a freak accident on Tuesday night. Jermani Thompson was working on the tarmac where planes are parked and was in the process of offloading luggage from a Frontier flight that had landed when her hair became caught in the...
Ex-NFL Player Arrested,
United Worker Fired
After Bloody Fight
May 24, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Ex-NFL Player Arrested, United Worker Fired After Bloody Fight
Brendan Langley, employee captured throwing slaps and punches on video
- Dustups involving airline workers and passengers are nothing new, but an incident at New Jersey's Newark airport on Thursday morning appears to be a whole other level. NBC News calls it a "bloody brawl" at the United Airlines check-in counter involving a worker and former NFL player Brendan...
Viral Post About $27 Airport
Beer Spurs Big Changes
May 17, 2022 8:07 AM CDT
Viral Post About $27 Airport Beer Spurs Big Changes
NYC transportation authority is cracking down on food, drink prices at area airports after complaint
- Almost $28 for a 23-ounce glass of Sam Adams summer ale? If that seems pricey, you're not the only one who thinks so. But that's how much it was on the menu at an eatery in New York City's LaGuardia Airport when Cooper Lund was waiting for...
World's 10 Busiest Airports
Apr 11, 2022 8:50 AM CDT
World's 10 Busiest Airports
Atlanta is once again No. 1
- Atlanta has reclaimed bragging rights to having the world's busiest airport. The Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport is No. 1 in new annual rankings from the trade group Airports Council International, reports CNN . The airport had lost its usual No. 1 spot to China's Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport in...
'It's a Hard Day Today:'
13 US Troops Killed
Aug 26, 2021 2:37 PM CDT
'It's a Hard Day Today:' 13 US Troops Killed
Twin suicide blasts outside Kabul airport also killed dozens of Afghans
- Twin explosions outside the Kabul airport on Thursday resulted in dozens of civilian and military deaths. The Pentagon says 13 US troops were killed, reports CNN . "It's a hard day today," said Gen. Kenneth "Frank" McKenzie, head of the US Central Command, at a briefing. In...
FAA Makes Big
Ask of Airports to
Control Unruly Travelers
Aug 5, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
FAA Makes Big Ask of Airports to Control Unruly Travelers
Agency wants bars, restaurants to nix booze 'to go,' as passengers try to bring those drinks on board
- Multiple airlines have already cut back on serving alcohol in the air, due to a spike in incidents involving out-of-control passengers, and now the Federal Aviation Administration is appealing to airports to do their part. Per NBC News , FAA chief Steve Dickson's letter to airport managers on Tuesday noted...
Has to Change Its Name
May 29, 2021 12:15 PM CDT
Orlando Airport Has to Change Its Name
Florida had 2 with the name, but Melbourne operation must tweak for clarity
- After years of fighting and litigation over who can include “Orlando” in the name of their central Florida airport, Orlando International Airport officials and Orlando Melbourne International Airport officials have tentatively agreed that the latter will tweak its name to Melbourne Orlando International Airport, per the AP . The Melbourne...
Tourists Accused of Trying to
Bribe Their Way Into Hawaii
Feb 19, 2021 7:12 AM CST
Tourists Accused of Trying to Bribe Their Way Into Hawaii
Louisiana couple didn't have negative COVID tests
- If you're interested in visiting the Aloha State, you'll have to be OK with a 10-day quarantine when you first arrive, unless you've got COVID test results in hand confirming you tested negative within the past 72 hours. Two tourists allegedly thought they could get around those...
Who Opens a New
Oct 30, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Who Opens a New Airport During a Pandemic? This City
Berlin's Brandenburg Airport is almost a decade late and $4.6B over budget, but it's finally here
- Having a grand opening for an airport in the middle of a pandemic may seem odd, but for Germany's newest travel hub, it's been a long time coming—14 years, to be exact. That's how long it's taken to complete Berlin's Brandenburg Airport, which was...
From 10 Flights Had
'Invasive' Exams in Qatar
Oct 28, 2020 7:48 AM CDT
Australia: Women From 10 Flights Had 'Invasive' Exams in Qatar
Qatar is apologizing after search for abandoned newborn went awry
- A baby was born and abandoned at an airport in Doha, Qatar, and now officials are apologizing over their controversial attempt to find the mother amid the revelation that there may have been more women involved than initially reported. After a newborn girl was found Oct. 2 in a trash...
US for $50B
Mar 16, 2020 5:50 PM CDT
Airlines Ask US for $50B
As pandemic slashes traffic, industry negotiates with government for cash, loans
- "We’re going to be in a position to help the airlines very much," President Trump said Monday when asked about possible government aid in the wake of the huge drop in passenger bookings. The airlines have now put an amount on that promise: $50 billion. That's...
TSA Confiscated a Record
Number of Guns Last Year
Jan 21, 2020 6:58 PM CST
TSA Confiscated a Record Number of Guns Last Year
But what does it really mean?
- TSA found 4,432 firearms in passengers' carry-on baggage last year—its highest number ever. As Fox News points out, that's a dozen firearms per day, and 87% of those firearms were loaded. Thirty-four percent of them actually had rounds in the chamber. The total number confiscated is a...
Oof: Record Number of
People Flying for Thanksgiving
Nov 14, 2019 10:20 AM CST
Oof: Record Number of People Flying for Thanksgiving
TSA expects more than 26.8 million travelers over the holiday, up 4% from last year
- Flying somewhere for Thanksgiving? Good luck. The Transportation Security Administration says more than 26.8 million people are expected to make their way through airport security checkpoints between Nov. 22 and Dec. 2—a record high, per the Hill , and a 4% increase over 2018, per ABC . The busiest days...
Here Are the Best,
Worst US Airports
Nov 14, 2019 8:36 AM CST
Here Are the Best, Worst US Airports
The New York area needs a definite upgrade
- If you're traveling, the tristate area around the Big Apple may be the last place you want to fly in and out of. The
Wall Street Journal
took a look at America's 20 biggest airports, as well as the 20 largest airports after that (what the
At Hong Kong Airport,
a 2nd Day of Chaos
Aug 13, 2019 6:11 AM CDT
At Hong Kong Airport, a 2nd Day of Chaos
Departing flights canceled once again due to pro-democracy protesters
- Pro-democracy protests have shut down Hong Kong International Airport again , resulting in flight check-ins being canceled for the second day in a row and the city's mayor calling the scene a "dangerous situation," the BBC reports. "Terminal operations ... have been seriously disrupted as a result of...
TSA's Windfall From
Security Bins in 2018: $1M
May 29, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
TSA's Windfall From Security Bins in 2018: $1M
Travelers don't gather their coins and cash with care when they're in a hurry, apparently
- In your rush to catch a flight, did you ever neglect to scoop up your pennies, nickels, and dimes out of the plastic bins at security? You're not alone, and the Transportation Security Administration became about $1 million richer last year because of it.
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
This Is 'the Worst Kind of Earthquake'
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.